PDA

View Full Version : a look around the league at some ex Reds

Will M
08-18-2009, 02:22 PM
with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth with some moves the Reds have made in recent years I thought I would look and see how some ex Reds are doing. some are doing very well, others not so well. Some of the guys people were most upset about losing are not the guys who are doing well (Dunn being the big exception).

Several of these guys who are decent players we let go for nothing or near nothing. Sad considering the some of the dreck we have played this year and last.

3B EE - off to a poor start in Toronto. OPS+ 31 with 3 errors in 13 games

RP Roenicke - also off to a poor start in Toronto. ERA+ 32 with a WHIP of 3.0 in 3.1 IP

LF Dunn - career high OPS+ 159 for the Nationals

DH Jr - return to the Ms hasn't fixed him. OPS+ 94. time to work on the golf swing

3B Keppinger - OPS+ of 95 in 259 PAs mostly at 3B. OPS+ 128 vs LHP compared to 82 vs RHP. Kinda what you expected from him.

RP Coffey - ERA+ 171 for the Brewers. This guy was an enigma to me as a Red.

RP Affeldt - ERA+ 232 for the Giants. Boy I wanted him back instead of Weathers and Lincoln. I thought he could close for us letting us trade Coco.

OF Josh Hamilton - OPS+ 94. big tail off from 2008

SP Lohse - Dave Duncan's magic has Lohse at an ERA+ of 92 this year (as a Red his ERA+ was 102 and he was much hated).

1B Cantu - OPS+ 102 . decent bench type player we released

CF Cody Ross - OPS+ 111. starting CF we released. sad

RF Austin Kearns - the man who should have brought us 3 closers and Jimmy Rollins has an OPS+ of 70

RP Eddie Guardaro (remember him?) - ERA+ 104 for Texas

RP Ryan Franklin - what?!?!? ERA+ of 364 as the Cardinal's closer!

2B - Felipe Lopez - after struggling for the Nationals he revived his career last year. OPS+ 107 at 2B

SP - Justin Germano - peopled cried when he had a couple good games in the cavernous San Diego park. he hasn't pitched in the bigs in 2009

RP Majik - hasn't pitched in the bigs this year

And finally...the future HOFer Chris Denorfia - OPS+ of -100 (yep) in limited action

Highlifeman21
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Let's not forget Russell Branyan.

Seattle finally gave him an everyday spot in the lineup, and he hasn't disappointed.

VR
08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
David Ross +135 OpS, 42% CS

Tom Servo
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Jeff Conine - Still has young body.

Scott Hatteberg - Will be in Moneyball movie, if it ever gets made.

Javier Valentin - Spotted around town with Chip R.

Mike Stanton - Transformed into 19 year old Marlins outfield prospect, likely due to Benjamin Button disease.

Rheal Cormier - Ah, who cares?

Will M
08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
forgot about David Ross & Branyan.

its kinda amazing that so many decent players have been let go by the Reds in the last few years.

Highlifeman21
08-18-2009, 04:05 PM
forgot about David Ross & Branyan.

its kinda amazing that so many decent players have been let go by the Reds in the last few years.

I think it's just the fact that the Reds are horrible with player development, and the losing culture doesn't yield the maximum out of players on the 25 man roster.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Don't forget Grant Balfour. You know, the guy that they paid to rehabilitate, only to let him go and watch him strike out 82 in 58 innings last year for TB.

mbgrayson
08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Then there is ...

Eric Milton ERA+ 111 for the Dodgers.
Willy Mo Pena, not in MLB this year, OPS+ of 34 last year for the Nationals.
Brendan Harris, OPS+ 83 with the Twins this year mainly at shortstop.

traderumor
08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Ryan Dempster was a Red

VR
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Ryan Dempster was a Red

see post #7, same dealio.