PDA

View Full Version : Drew Stubbs... Recalled?

REDblooded
08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
A buddy of mine from STL told me that he just heard something on the radio saying Drew Stubbs was recalled...

dougdirt
08-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I have heard it too, but haven't gotten any confirmation. I heard about it around 11 this morning.

REDblooded
08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
i just hope he comes up and struggles a bit at first so Dusty keeps him in the line-up on a nightly basis...

camisadelgolf
08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
What would be the corresponding move? Willy Taveras to the DL?

dougdirt
08-19-2009, 02:05 PM

I hope its WT DFA'd, but I bet you are right.

REDblooded

Prob... Can you bring me 6 coneys?

aubashbrother
the DL ? the reds know what that is ? anyway i hope this is true , would love to see what Stubbs can do at the ML level

GIDP
08-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Willy must be hurt more than they reported.

I hope Stubbs gets to actually play. Should be telling if he gets playing time over Dickerson. Telling in the sense that how much Dusty hates Dickerson that he would rather bring up a rookie and start him than bench taveras.

Kc61
I hope its WT DFA'd, but I bet you are right.

So, I'm reading that to mean you don't think Taveras will turn things around this year.

LOL

camisadelgolf
Prob... Can you bring me 6 coneys?
Prob not

RedEye
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Can a player be recalled when he hasn't even been called yet? Just curious.

bucksfan2
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Can a player be recalled when he hasn't even been called yet? Just curious.

I believe that is how they state it whenever a player is called up to the major league club.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Not getting my hopes up but one can wish :bowrofl:

lollipopcurve
08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I doubt it's true -- but we'll see. For what it's worth, I can't remember a single instance in which Baker has started a newly recalled player in first his game up. (Would make sense to play Stubbs vs. Zito, since Dickerson's a lefty and Baker nearly always benches CD vs. lefties in order to keep Taveras in the lineup.....)

GIDP
08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I believe that is how they state it whenever a player is called up to the major league club.

Yea thats how I take it also.

RedEye
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM

I think you're right. Still, kind of strange, isn't it?

bucksfan2
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I think you're right. Still, kind of strange, isn't it?

I agree. Every time I hear it I just say, that doesn't make sense.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
What I would do to get a beat writer who had a pulse on these things

fearofpopvol1
08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
What I would do to get a beat writer who had a pulse on these things

Long live C. Trent...

GIDP
08-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Long live C. Trent...

He seemed to be more around the clock for sure.

HeatherC1212
08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
C.Trent just tweeted that he was looking into this situation so hopefully he finds out something soon. I came right over here hoping the rumor was true but I guess we still don't know for sure. I'd love for this rumor to be right! :)

Will M
08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
i read here yesterday that Stubbs & Frazier were called up then nothing was mentioned during the game last night & there is no mention of it on the Reds official site. what gives?

dougdirt
08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
i read here yesterday that Stubbs & Frazier were called up then nothing was mentioned during the game last night & there is no mention of it on the Reds official site. what gives?

Yesterday was speculation on what should happen that someone midheard on the radio. Today, Drew Stubbs actually is in Cincinnati, or so he called someone and told them he was leaving this morning for Cincinnati according to what I heard.

Will M
08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Yesterday was speculation on what should happen that someone midheard on the radio. Today, Drew Stubbs actually is in Cincinnati, or so he called someone and told them he was leaving this morning for Cincinnati according to what I heard.

thanks.

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
This would be a reason to actually watch a Reds game.

redsmetz
08-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Players on the 40 man roster are "recalled," if they're not on the 40 man, then their contract is purchased from the minor league club. Here's a bit from Rob Neyer's explanations:

When a player is summoned from the minors to the majors, you'll see that he was either "called up" or his "contract was purchased." For most practical purposes, this really doesn't make much difference. If he's already on the 40-man roster, he's called up. If he's not on the 40-man roster, then his contract is purchased (for a nominal fee) from the minor-league team.

http://assets.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

redsmetz
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Actually, it would have been fun if he had been called up yesterday and faced Lincecum and we could have answered the daggone question once and for all!

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Actually, it would have been fun if he had been called up yesterday and faced Lincecum and we could have answered the daggone question once and for all!

That Lincecum was a creation of the NL West? :eek:

princeton
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Can a player be recalled when he hasn't even been called yet?

he was with big team in spring, then sent down. now he's returning.

(platoon, platoon, platoon) :pray:

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
What would be the point in platooning him? Its not like he has some massive splits or something. Hes actually been better against righties.

camisadelgolf
08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
What would be the point in platooning him? Its not like he has some massive splits or something.
Since the season is lost, Stubbs could get some practice against RHP, and Dickerson could get some practice against LHP. Historically, Stubbs' numbers vs. lefties/righties aren't much different, so a platoon wouldn't really make much sense with him.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Ctrent just confirmed Stubbs is in Cincy.

princeton
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Since the season is lost, Stubbs could get some practice against RHP, and Dickerson could get some practice against LHP. Historically, Stubbs' numbers vs. lefties/righties aren't much different, so a platoon wouldn't really make much sense with him.

I worry about Redszone

camisadelgolf
08-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I worry about Redszone
You know I was joking, right?

redsmetz
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
From Reds Twitter: Reds Lineup Drew Stubbs CF Janish SS Votto 1B Phillips 2B Gomes RF Balentien LF Rosales 3B Harang C Arroyo P

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Dusty cant resist at least getting one bad hitter up in the 1st inning. :bowrofl: Guy freaking kills me man.

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 03:34 PM
From Reds Twitter: Reds Lineup Drew Stubbs CF Janish SS Votto 1B Phillips 2B Gomes RF Balentien LF Rosales 3B Harang C Arroyo P

That would be something to see

redsmetz
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
That would be something to see

LOL - I just cut and pasted it, I didn't even see that.

nemesis
08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
So with Stubbs up for what looks like the rest of the season... (a 15 day DL for WT would bring him back in Sept) Does that mean they shift Heisley to CF and bring Frazier up to man LF for the rest of Louisvilles season and Playoffs?

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Heisey is obviously going to be getting a lot more time in CF but who really knows with Frazier. They seem to be really wanting him to play 2nd right now.

Sea Ray
08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Do you folks think Stubbs is the right choice to call up now or do you think it should be Heisey?

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Do you folks think Stubbs is the right choice to call up now or do you think it should be Heisey?

Nobody knows but everyone will voice their opinion. Only time will tell.
Heisey has seemed to cool down and is not setting the world on fire like a month ago plus Stubbs wins in the glove department.

I am just happy to see one of the guys get a shot to hopefully answer some questions.

RedEye
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Nobody knows but everyone will voice their opinion. Only time will tell.
Heisey has seemed to cool down and is not setting the world on fire like a month ago plus Stubbs wins in the glove department.

I am just happy to see one of the guys get a shot to hopefully answer some questions.

I'm not sure what I would do, but if the "speed and defense" mantra is still in effect for the franchise after so many losses, Stubbs should always be the guy. OTOH, if they had changed that slogan recently to "power and production", Heisey would probably be the guy.

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure what I would do, but if the "speed and defense" mantra is still in effect for the franchise after so many losses, Stubbs should always be the guy. OTOH, if they had changed that slogan recently to "power and production", Heisey would probably be the guy.

I don't think that is a fair statement. Reds fans hear speed and think back to the dreck we saw for the last two years. Stubbs should get a fair shot because he is his own player, not some washed up under producing has been.

Brutus
08-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Players on the 40 man roster are "recalled," if they're not on the 40 man, then their contract is purchased from the minor league club. Here's a bit from Rob Neyer's explanations:

http://assets.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

To add to this further...

When you are added to the 40-man roster (or "reserved" by the club), you are technically using an option that season. So you must technically "assign" the player on optional assignment to put him in AAA (or AA or whatever). Thereby, when you call someone up, you are technically "recalling" him by assignment.

TRF
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd have planted Dickerson's butt in CF for the rest of the season. Wlad in RF, Gomes in RF, Nix the 4th OF. Maybe Stubbs is the right choice, but teh Dusty will not start him right away, that would disrespect Nix. Of cours he'd have no problem starting him over Dickerson, who is likely a much better player offensively, and maybe a tick below him defensively.

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd have planted Dickerson's butt in CF for the rest of the season. Wlad in RF, Gomes in RF, Nix the 4th OF. Maybe Stubbs is the right choice, but teh Dusty will not start him right away, that would disrespect Nix. Of cours he'd have no problem starting him over Dickerson, who is likely a much better player offensively, and maybe a tick below him defensively.

He is starting tonight :rolleyes:

I would have no problem with Dickerson the rest of the year also but the Reds do not seem to be as sold as some of the posters here so might as well see what Stubbs has got.

Brutus
08-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Dickerson

.267 / .362 / .370 / .732

Stubbs

.268 / .353 / .360 / .713

Though Dickerson certainly plays one level higher, I'm not seeing much better of anything between the two. Obviously I would agree that Dickerson is more likely to be trusted at this level, but their rates are very, very similar all across the board. If nothing else, Stubbs 24 years old and has the frame to support a lot of additional power gain (though it remains to be seen if it will ever come).

REDblooded
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Dickerson

.267 / .362 / .370 / .732

Stubbs

.268 / .353 / .360 / .713

Though Dickerson certainly plays one level higher, I'm not seeing much better of anything between the two. Obviously I would agree that Dickerson is more likely to be trusted at this level, but their rates are very, very similar all across the board. If nothing else, Stubbs 24 years old and has the frame to support a lot of additional power gain (though it remains to be seen if it will ever come).

Stubbs is the better defender though, and has the edge on the bases too.

Brutus
08-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Stubbs is the better defender though, and has the edge on the bases too.

Oh I know. I was just responding to the offensive side of it.

GOYA
08-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I wish him luck. Backing into the majors is not what I had hoped but now's his chance.

I would have hoped the Reds would have chosen a time that his confidence was high. He's basically tall Taveras right now at the plate.

dougdirt
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I wish him luck. Backing into the majors is not what I had hoped but now's his chance.

I would have hoped the Reds would have chosen a time that his confidence was high. He's basically tall Taveras right now at the plate.

I wouldn't go that far. He may have played like that for a two week stretch or so, but thats not quite Taveras 2+ years running.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I think a call up is probably one of the best slump busters out there other than actually goiing out and getting a slump buster.

dougdirt
08-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I think a call up is probably one of the best slump busters out there other than actually goiing out and getting a slump buster.

What are these slump busters you speak of? ;)

GIDP
08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
What are these slump busters you speak of? ;)

You have never heard of a slump buster? I dont even know if I could word it well enough here with out maybe getting into some trouble.

dougdirt
08-19-2009, 09:06 PM
You have never heard of a slump buster? I dont even know if I could word it well enough here with out maybe getting into some trouble.

I know what one is, hence the winking guy. I just thought it was hilarious.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I know what one is, hence the winking guy. I just thought it was hilarious.

:laugh: I was thinking to myself "no way he doesnt know what a slump buster is"

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Stubbs with his first hit on a bit of a bloop down the right field line that he cruised into second for.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
He got around to 2nd pretty quick. I thought it was going to be a close play. I was surprised.

bubbachunk
08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
He got around to 2nd pretty quick. I thought it was going to be a close play. I was surprised.

Same, he really is a speed demon.

mace
08-20-2009, 08:14 AM
That was a single for some guys, a lot of guys. And he cruises in without a play. I was startled by how effortlessly he got to second base. I honestly expected him to hold at first.

GIDP
08-20-2009, 08:25 AM
That was a single for some guys, a lot of guys. And he cruises in without a play. I was startled by how effortlessly he got to second base. I honestly expected him to hold at first.

I thought instantly uh oh hes going to get thrown out at 2nd. Then I saw him beat the throw by 20 feet and my jaw kinda dropped in confusion and amazement.