Reds Twitter has the line up confirming for sure now what others were reporting

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

TracyJonesFan
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Harang is Catching huh?

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Harang is Catching huh?

I didnt catch it but you would think John Fay was filling out the twitter.

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I've always thought Harang's future was behind the dish.

Great news on Stubbs.

mac624
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
of the end for Wily T. I know we'll eat some $$ next season, but he's got to go, along with his poor attitude.

FlyerFanatic
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
of the end for Wily T. I know we'll eat some $$ next season, but he's got to go, along with his poor attitude.

id love for willy t to be gone, still dont think its happening. bob,walt,dusty have to much pride, wont swallow it and admit they made a mistake in giving him that much money.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
We only had 39 men on the 40 man btw so no players had to be moved around.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Stubbs will play CF and bat leadoff (or is that being redundant?).

Some players get called up/acquired (especially young players) and Dusty says you can't throw them to the wolves. Too much pressure. Got to break them in slowly. Others get thrust directly into the fire.
I am skimming through Bakermetrics for Dummies (or is that being redundant?) to see if there are any sub-rules that govern the various situations.

BTW, Congratulations to Drew Stubbs. If you OPS .600 the rest of the year it is an improvement over Willy (a bruised ego can send you to the DL) Taveras.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM

Some players get called up/acquired (especially young players) and Dusty says you can't throw them to the wolves. Too much pressure. Got to break them in slowly. Others get thrust directly into the fire.
I am skimming through Bakermetrics for Dummies (or is that being redundant?) to see if there are any sub-rules that govern the various situations.

BTW, Congratulations to Drew Stubbs. If you OPS .600 the rest of the year it is an improvement over Willy (a bruised ego can send you to the DL) Taveras.

Did the same thing to Bruce when he was called up.

FlyerFanatic
08-19-2009, 04:01 PM

CF leads off, dude.

bakermetrics doesnt take a back seat for rookies

nemesis
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah they had yet to replace Weathers on the 40 man so it made it easier to promote Stubbs. I am a bit optimistic though this is more than a trial. By the time WT returns the AAA season will be over so there won't be any place to rehab. I expect Stubbs to make at least 2 or 3 unreal catches or throws and OBP about .330... It would be hard for Baker to justify sitting him in favor of WT. I think the FO is trying to get a read on Stubbs. Is he capible of hitting ML pitching? Can he maintain his high OBP? We might actualy see an outfield of Balentien, Stubbs and Bruce the last 2 weeks or so of the season...

Plus if all they wanted was a warm body to fill the bench they could have recalled McDonald without using any options or service time on Stubbs.

Oxblood
08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I've always thought Harang's future was behind the dish.
LOL

texasdave
08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
September call-ups in August. I like it.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Just looked at the lineup for tonight. Stubbs (first game in the majors) CF batting first. Janish (.289 OBP) SS batting second. In other news the sun came up this morning.

malcontent
08-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Dickerson gets screwed. Again.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Dickerson gets screwed. Again.

It does seem rather obvious that Dusty is not all that fond of Dickerson in center. What CD did is anyone's guess.

nemesis
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
It does seem rather obvious that Dusty is not all that fond of Dickerson in center. What CD did is anyone's guess.

Refused to date Dusty's daughter... Or hit it and quit it...:cool:

Hope Drew is single...

FlyerFanatic
08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
thats the problem with "player managers" you get in the doghouse for some reason, you're screwed. if gonzo hadnt been traded, janish was clearly in it, guess its dickersons turn

malcontent
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
It does seem rather obvious that Dusty is not all that fond of Dickerson in center.

He's a much better CF than Taveras.

Leave it to Toothpick to play the wrong guy.

IMO, Stubbs won't come close to Dickerson's 0.377 career OBP.

But yeah, he's not Taveras.

Play Ball
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Took a slingshot to the game yesterday-beaned Willie T in the leg with a pebble....hence Stubbs being called up. Figgerred the mgmt could use some help in expediting some much needed moves...Kinda pleased with myself-wasn't easy getting that shot off with the bag on my head...hmmmmm-what move next?:D

GIDP
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM

He recycles and Dusty is a known litterer

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM

This is a bit of a gray area. I am definitely one of the preeminent Bakermetricians on this site but even I am a bit perplexed here.

My research on the subject leads me to one conclusion - because speed is the single most important part of a baseball player's skillset, the fact that Stubbs is now the fastest guy on the team trumps his youth and inexperience. Therefore, he immediately plays center and, yes, obviously bats leadoff.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 05:42 PM
This is a bit of a gray area. I am definitely one of the preeminent Bakermetricians on this site but even I am a bit perplexed here.

My research on the subject leads me to one conclusion - because speed is the single most important part of a baseball player's skillset, the fact that Stubbs is now the fastest guy on the team trumps his youth and inexperience. Therefore, he immediately plays center and, yes, obviously bats leadoff.

Thank you, Dr. Lebowski. Fast means less likely to clog. It has crystallized in my mind now.

nemesis
08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
But what is his In Scoring Postion Percentage?

Or ISPP for Bakermetictrisians...

Ya know he is fast. Not WT fast... But fast.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
If it is any consolation the Reds now the entire majors in rookies named Drew. Never look a gift silver lining in the mouth.

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you, Dr. Lebowski. Fast means less likely to clog. It has crystallized in my mind now.

Just one caveat - fast AND unlikely to reach base makes you highly unlikely to clog.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
But what is his In Scoring Postion Percentage?

Or ISPP for Bakermetictrisians...

Ya know he is fast. Not WT fast... But fast.

I know in high school he would score pretty much every time he got in scoring position. He went 4 for 4 on prom night. :beerme:

malcontent
08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Took a slingshot to the game yesterday-beaned Willie T in the leg with a pebble....hence Stubbs being called up. Figgerred the mgmt could use some help in expediting some much needed moves...Kinda pleased with myself-wasn't easy getting that shot off with the bag on my head...hmmmmm-what move next?:D

You must be an excellent shot to nail The Human Blur.

I'd only be suggesting the most obvious of next moves.

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
From Dusty:

"I'll spot him against tough guys, see how his stroke is, try to give him the best chance to succeed."

In other words, we won't see him against Mr. T and Brock Lesnar.

Kingspoint
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Dusty on Stubbs:

“I saw him in the spring. You want to give guys the best chance you think they have to succeed.”

Figuring out where he’ll best succeed takes some time.

“You’ve got to them in a few situations, watch them in batting practice closely. I’ve got a pretty good memory with hitters and pitchers. This is from the old school. You didn’t have the computer to rely on you had to rely on memory. File it, go up there with total recall.”

That explains everything. Dusty's senile.

Ghosts of 1990
08-19-2009, 06:42 PM
When is Jay Bruce coming back, anyone heard?

GIDP
08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I've got a pretty good memory with hitters and pitchers. :bowrofl:

Best quote ever probably.

aceace
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Those computers don't rate "heart" and "will to win"

FlyerFanatic
08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I've got a pretty good memory with hitters and pitchers. :bowrofl:

Best quote ever probably.

no jokes, wow...that is the best dusty quote to date, unbelieveable

CesarGeronimo
08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I expect Stubbs to make at least 2 or 3 unreal catches or throws and OBP about .330... It would be hard for Baker to justify sitting him in favor of WT.

I don't think OBP has any impact on the decision of who plays and who sits for the Reds. If you look at it that way, some of the strange decisions that Dusty makes don't look as strange anymore.

fewfirstchoice
08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
If the Reds could get Rolen and Bruce back for the last month they would look less like a AAA team on offense.
1) Stubbs CF
2) Phillips 2B I know it wont happen the SS always bats 2nd right
3) Votto 1B if he can get his vision under control
4) Rolen 3B
5) Bruce RF
6) Balentein LF
7) Hannigan C
8) Janish SS
Not great but better than the Louisville Reds Dusty is running out there now.

The Reds are a SS and a LF from being a good real good ball team.

Griffey012
08-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Dusty on Stubbs:

“I saw him in the spring. You want to give guys the best chance you think they have to succeed.”

Figuring out where he’ll best succeed takes some time.

“You’ve got to them in a few situations, watch them in batting practice closely. I’ve got a pretty good memory with hitters and pitchers. This is from the old school. You didn’t have the computer to rely on you had to rely on memory. File it, go up there with total recall.”

That explains everything. Dusty's senile.

FML....

Hondo
08-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Just confusing

Drew Stubbs, OF, Reds (Triple-A Louisville)
Monday's stats: 3-for-4, 3 R, 2 RBIs, BB, SB
So the Reds keep throwing Willy Taveras out in center field pretty much every day, despite the fact that he's pulling off the rare double treat of both an on-base percentage and slugging percentage under .300. Meanwhile, Stubbs is now batting .281/.370/.375 (average/on-base/slugging) at Triple-A, and his numbers are brought down by a June slump. He's nearly as fast as Taveras, a better base stealer (42 in 49 attempts), and arguably the best defensive center fielder in the minor leagues. Basically, he's just a flat-out better baseball player on every level and deserves a shot.

Wow, Awesome move Walt... I am excited about another Ballplayer on the Reds Roster! Congrats Drew Stubbs on your first Major League Hit!

Hondo
08-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah they had yet to replace Weathers on the 40 man so it made it easier to promote Stubbs. I am a bit optimistic though this is more than a trial. By the time WT returns the AAA season will be over so there won't be any place to rehab. I expect Stubbs to make at least 2 or 3 unreal catches or throws and OBP about .330... It would be hard for Baker to justify sitting him in favor of WT. I think the FO is trying to get a read on Stubbs. Is he capible of hitting ML pitching? Can he maintain his high OBP? We might actualy see an outfield of Balentien, Stubbs and Bruce the last 2 weeks or so of the season...

Plus if all they wanted was a warm body to fill the bench they could have recalled McDonald without using any options or service time on Stubbs.

I am so excited about an Outfield of Balentien, Stubbs, and Bruce!

Some Young Players to be Proud of!

davereds24
08-20-2009, 02:19 AM
bruce is due back mid september.

flash
08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I may be wrong about Stubbs. He may be a pretty good ballplayer. But bruce is hardly any kind of offensive remedy. Dickerson has shown this year he is a better option offensively. bruce needs to improve on his .207 average and .289 OBP before I will consider him anything more thien a 4 th outfielder or late inning defensive replacement.

GIDP
08-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I may be wrong about Stubbs. He may be a pretty good ballplayer. But bruce is hardly any kind of offensive remedy. Dickerson has shown this year he is a better option offensively. bruce needs to improve on his .207 average and .289 OBP before I will consider him anything more thien a 4 th outfielder or late inning defensive replacement.

I wish my late inning defensive replacements could be on pace to hit 30+ homers homers, and 20+ doubles at the age of 22. Id kill for a team full of those guys honestly.

BLEEDS
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
The Reds are a SS and a LF from being a good real good ball team.

Seems like that's what we said - oh, about a year ago!

Wonder if we'll do anything this off-season, or just completely ignore it again.

Gomes is a good guy to spot against Lefties - hmmm, platoon with Dickerson?!?! But if we want to compete, we should spend some real money on a LF with a .900+ OBP.
SS, just give me someone who can get on base over .320, and I'll bat him 7th.
A catcher who could SLG over .400 would be nice too.

These actually wouldn't be too bad of lineups:

Against RHP:
CF - Stubbs
LF - Dickerson
1B - Votto
3B - Rolen
RF - Bruce
2B - BP
SS with a little bit of OBP
Catcher with a little bit of SLG

BP should be put lower in the linup vs RHP, he's historically awful. Stubbs and Dickerson could get on base .360+ combined. Votto, Rolen, Bruce should get plenty of opportunity.
Teh DUHsty would never risk getting BP sullen, so he'll bat him cleanup for some ungodly reason.
And of course, he'll have SS batting 2nd, dude. UGH.

Against LHP:

CF - Stubbs
1B - Votto
2B - BP
3B - Rolen
LF - Gomes
RF - Bruce
SS
C

These could actually compete, with everyone healthy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Blood Red Path
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
But if we want to compete, we should spend some real money on a LF with a .900+ OBP.

Haha... I have a feeling that would be a very expensive LF.

BLEEDS
08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Haha... I have a feeling that would be a very expensive LF.

Well they can be had for anywhere from $5M to $12M.

You'd be amazed what that might bring back in revenue, especially if we were able to sneak into the playoffs somehow.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Kingspoint
08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Just looked at the lineup for tonight. Stubbs (first game in the majors) CF batting first. Janish (.289 OBP) SS batting second. In other news the sun came up this morning.

So true. So sad.

Hondo
08-21-2009, 01:03 AM
How about we quit talking about Dickerson being a Starter...

Bruce is going to be a 30-40 Homer Guy so we should not waste time talking about him not being in the Lineup and Balentien is stroking the ball right now, so...

On to SS, C, and Starting Pitching...

JR

Slyder
08-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Heres an idea from Bakermetrics....
Dickerson to SS that way

1 Stubbs CF
2 Dickerson SS
3 Votto 1b
4 Bruce RF (when he proves to be a legit MLB middle of the lineup stud)
5 Phillips 2b

Baker couldnt go against his own college course could he? :D

Hondo
08-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Whats with this man crush on Dickerson? 4th outfielder.

Slyder
08-21-2009, 01:35 AM

When youve had Corey Patterson and Willy Tavares as youre CF you fall in love with ANYONE who causes those two to find their way to the bench?

btw I was just joking around with whoever said we shouldnt be talking about CF and talking about upgrading SS and Catcher.

Hondo
08-21-2009, 01:43 AM
When youve had Corey Patterson and Willy Tavares as youre CF you fall in love with ANYONE who causes those two to find their way to the bench?

btw I was just joking around with whoever said we shouldnt be talking about CF and talking about upgrading SS and Catcher.

That was me...

Also, the ORG has a Thread debating the use of Dickerson and Gomes in the Outifeld, on whether to trade Gomes or start him next year, and talking about Platooning Danny Dorn with Gomes in Left, Dickerson and Stubbs in Center, and Bruce and Balentien in Right...

I think they are joking about the King Pin platoon Outfield, but my gosh, how can we be debating which 4th outfielders to Keep? Gomes and Dickerson are 24th and 25th roster spot guys...

This team needs to go with Balentien, Stubbs, and Bruce in the Outfield Next year and Bounce Dickerson to some other team... Keep Gomes as a 4th Outfielder and Super Power Hitting Pinch Hitter...

This team needs to get a Great SS, and an Outstanding Catcher...

I have no idea who to get for a SS, just please no Jack Wilsons or Alex Gonzalez's brought in...

Lets go with an up and coming Talented Player with Upside... Not a bench player starting 140 Games...

Slyder
08-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Gomes and Dickerson have their uses. I must admit Im probably one of Dickerson's biggest fans, he's far from Eric Davis but seeing him ride the bench while we get stuck with the crap we've had in CF just iritates the snot out of me.

Stubbs I have no problem with. He has "potential" tag on him and going to get a full shot at playing everyday like Homer, Jay, go down the list.

Dickerson could be Chris Denorfia pt 2, but he's still got more value than Willy T or Corey Patterson ought to have to the franchise.

On trading either I agree with both sides. Float Dickerson and Gomes out to the trade block and if you dont get a big enough return you pull both back in. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And one more point I agree that Balentien, Stubbs, and Bruce should see a majority of the action, if any of them need a day off Dickerson should be next he will still be with this team next year and probably contributing. Willy T, Nix, MacDonald should NOT see another start this year unless 2 of the 3 above need a day off on the same day. None of the three have any use to this team and should be treated as scrap heap rubble.

texasdave
08-21-2009, 03:45 AM
In 2010 the Reds will probably go with 5 outfielders to start the season. If you are giving spots to Balentien, Bruce and Stubbs that makes 3. Taveras has 4 million reasons to stay which makes 4. That would leave Dickerson, Gomes and Nix fighting for the 5th spot. More than likely no big FA is going to be acquired. And it is doubtful that Heisey or Dorn or MacDonald make the squad. Maybe Stubbs starts the season in 2010 or is moved during the off season. Maybe Gomes or Nix or Dickerson gets traded. I doubt if they move them all. If Stubbs isn't here in 2010 then CD probably wins a spot, but I hope Dickerson has his bags packed. He clogs the bases far too often for Dusty's liking. It would appear that Willy T. is going to be paid 4 million dollars and take the roster spot of a more deserving player.

tbball10
08-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Balentien's situation reminds me of Jorge Cantu's a couple years ago. The Reds got both of these high-potential players relatively cheap, they both have hit well for us, and I see Balentien leaving in the offseason just like Cantu did. I mean, Dusty sat Balentien 3 games in a row, that's what they think of him!

GIDP
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Dickerson would start for a lot of teams in CF just going off this years numbers. Hes an average offensive CF with the bat and above average with the glove.

BLEEDS
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
IMO, we could do A LOT WORSE than Dickerson/Stubbs in the 1/2 slot (either ones) - and in fact, we HAVE for pretty much the entire year.

Assuming we won't actually go out and spend any money in FA this year, I'd say Dickerson/Stubbs/Bruce in the OF wouldn't be too shabby.

MAY have to sit Dickerson against LHP - hello Gomes! - but otherwise I'd say they'd be at, with the potential to be above, league average.

IFF we can focus on getting an improvement at SS - with or without moving BP there and getting a 2nd baseman - we might actually be able to improve our Offense to the point of nearly being competitive.
Then, we try to figure out what to do after Harang/Arroyo, again...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Slyder
08-21-2009, 11:58 AM
We need 1 true power bat. Scott Rolen ain't it. We need someone who can get 30+ HRs, 100+ RBIs behind Votto. If you think you can find that at another position fine then Dickerson can play LF, I dont think we will at the positions we need.

BLEEDS
08-21-2009, 02:17 PM
We need 1 true power bat. Scott Rolen ain't it. We need someone who can get 30+ HRs, 100+ RBIs behind Votto. If you think you can find that at another position fine then Dickerson can play LF, I dont think we will at the positions we need.

I agree, but I'm not optimistic. We needed this last off-season, when we allegedly had more money to spend. Unless we trade and Arroyo/Harang/Cordero, I don't see our newly annointed "tightwad" owner spending that kind of cash on one player.

Sure we'll spend $4M on WT, $2.5M on Lincoln, etc, but not on one player.

Also, BP is due for his first "min raise" of $6.75M in 2010. In 2011, he's due an astounding $11M. That's right ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

texasdave
08-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Jay Bruce is a legitimate 30 HR 100 RBI bat.

UC_Ken
08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Also, BP is due for his first "min raise" of $6.75M in 2010. In 2011, he's due an astounding $11M. That's right ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS.

I don't care how good his glove is the thought of paying someone $11 mil. to hit .260 and OBP .320 makes me want to throw up. And he's in his prime years now and may start to drop off in '11. He's a guy I'd look hard at moving in the offseason if someone would take that contract.

Captain Hook
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't care how good his glove is the thought of paying someone $11 mil. to hit .260 and OBP .320 makes me want to throw up. And he's in his prime years now and may start to drop off in '11. He's a guy I'd look hard at moving in the offseason if someone would take that contract.

That kind of money would make more since for a GG caliber SS putting up those kind of offensive numbers.I don't think BP would be GG caliber at SS but if he is just a little above average he earns his money.

Hondo
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM

His name was Adam Dunn...

Rolen would have been good to Bat behind him...

Liek Votto, Dunn, Rolen

But nevermind...

Hondo
08-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Um, is it just me or would Brandon Phillips be more productive not being in the 4th or 5th hole in the lineup? He needs to be down in the Lineup to be a productive hitter...

This team should have Kept Dunn and Added Rolen... Not pay Dunn 12 Million but pay Rolen 11 Million... Dunn was a lock for 40 Homers 100 RBI and 100 Runs and 100 walks... Even with 150-200 K's... Still a better bang for the Buck, but ya give him a Rolen behind him, and he probably bats like he is in Washington, around .280...

So this team needs to Add a Quality SS or a Power Hitting Left Fielder...

I am so for trading Dickerson and Nix, and DFA McDonald...

At this point, it does not look like Harang or Arroyo will be moved... A simpler solution would be to FIRE Dusty and Dick Pole and that would Improve the Rotation in One swift move...

The Reds are already having Fransisco play Left in AAA so I assume he is going to be given an opportunity to win the Left Field Job next year...

So this team Can acquire a Catcher and a SS to make the difference for the offense...

I hate to say it but this team almost needs to Trade a core young guy to restart this teams future... I hate to say it, but maybe moving Votto for some young pitching might be a good move to start... Because Jay Bruce will be the starting Right Fielder as soon as he gets back and for the forseeable future so Having Votto and Bruce will almost be the same thing as having Griffey and Dunn for so Long without a Right Handed Power Hitter... Rolen is not that Guy, he needs to Bat in the 6 hole or the 5 hole...

I don't see too many SS or C out there that can Improve the Offense so you look to a First Baseman... Hmmmm?

CesarGeronimo
08-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Refused to date Dusty's daughter... Or hit it and quit it...:cool:

Forget it, Taveras will be back in center next year. Don't spread this around, but according to the bartenders at the Bat and Balls Bar, Willy has been dating Dusty's little-known 27-year-old son, Lusty.

Apparently, Willy's in-scoring position percentage is better than we realized . . .

(Disclaimer for fans of Willy Taveras and/or Dusty Baker, and for other individuals with cognitive disabilities. The preceding was a lame joke - it is not true.).

Hondo
08-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Forget it, Taveras will be back in center next year. Don't spread this around, but according to the bartenders at the Bat and Balls Bar, Willy has been dating Dusty's little-known 27-year-old son, Lusty.

Apparently, Willy's in-scoring position percentage is better than we realized . . .

(Disclaimer for fans of Willy Taveras and/or Dusty Baker, and for other individuals with cognitive disabilities. The preceding was a lame joke - it is not true.).

Still Bad Taste Dude...