PDA

View Full Version : Cueto to DL

nate
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
According to Fay!

Cueto to DL. Owings to start Friday. Shoulder "inflammation for Cueto. He's not happy about gonig on DL.

Owings (I totally forgot about him) to start Friday according to Mark Sheldon.

Joseph
Welcome back Micah?

M2
Not surprising, but what's the specific ailment?

kaldaniels
08-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Swollen ERA

nate
08-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Shoulder inflammation:

Shoulder "inflammation for Cueto. He's not happy about gonig on DL.

traderumor
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, Johnny, I'm not happing about watching you get shelled either.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
--Johnny Cueto will go on the DL with shoulder "inflammation." Micah Owings will start Friday.

"Johnny's not happy,'" Dusty Baker said. "That's a good sign. He wants to pitch. We're going to back him off a few starts."

He'll return the rotation for the Aug. 31 doubleheader

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a0f347afb-0c3f-4d09-ba7f-2e952fe3fc3d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Good decision. Maybe bring him back for a start or two and then shut him down.

Kc61
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not a big "shut him down" guy.

But in this case I would shut him down.

I wouldn't want to deprive Cueto of his learning period as a young pitcher. But he has thrown so much, so early, I would give him a prolonged respite from game action.

Let him throw on the sidelines and in practice a little bit under supervision. But no more game action.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not a big "shut him down" guy.

But in this case I would shut him down.

I wouldn't want to deprive Cueto of his learning period as a young pitcher. But he has thrown so much, so early, I would give him prolonged respite from game action.

Let him throw on the sidelines and in practice a little bit under supervision. But no more game action.

The Reds have their own Rich Harden.

Maybe they can sign him to half-years like the Astros did with Clemens.

*BaseClogger*
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM

http://www.eatmedaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mimitw-1.jpg

Benihana
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM

Or maybe they can sign Harden to take Cueto's spot for the other half of the season. The two of them together would make an ace over a full season.

jojo
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Hopefully nothing is torn.

Will M
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM

ridicluous.

Cueto is a small guy who is tired after pitching 2009 & winter ball. the answer is easy. rest him. then no winter ball.

how can you convince him to not picth winter ball? easy. explain to him that pitchers who get tired and let their ERAs rise to average don't make 1/2 the coin of TOR starters.

HeatherC1212
08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm glad they're sitting Cueto for a while and hopefully Micah is ready to come back. I was at Johnny's last start and it wasn't pretty. :eek:

cincrazy
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh, come on now. I share your pessimism on many fronts, but not on the Cueto front. You think it's a foregone conclusion the guy is going to be nothing. Am I 100% confident we have a future ace? Not by any means. Do I think we have a quality arm for the rotation for a number of years? Yes I do. It's not Cueto's fault he's relied on to be the ace of this staff at 23 years old.

fearofpopvol1
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM

always assuming the worst before further information is known...

Raisor
08-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Or maybe they can sign Harden to take Cueto's spot for the other half of the season. The two of them together would make an ace over a full season.

I actually don't hate this idea.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh, come on now. I share your pessimism on many fronts, but not on the Cueto front. You think it's a foregone conclusion the guy is going to be nothing. Am I 100% confident we have a future ace? Not by any means. Do I think we have a quality arm for the rotation for a number of years? Yes I do. It's not Cueto's fault he's relied on to be the ace of this staff at 23 years old.

Best I can tell the kids being asked to be a starter. Nothing more nothing less.

Being a starter is very tough; he wouldn't be a criminal if he can't hack it.

cincrazy
08-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Best I can tell the kids being asked to be a starter. Nothing more nothing less.

Being a starter is very tough; he wouldn't be a criminal if he can't hack it.

But he can hack it. He hasn't been horrible this year. He's young, up and downs are part of the game.