PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Acquire Bill Hall

redsfandan
08-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Mariners Acquire Bill Hall By Eddie Schmid [August 19 at 5:05pm CST]

According to the Seattle Times' Geoff Baker, the Mariners have acquired Bill Hall from the Brewers. There's an announcement expected before game time. According to Baker's sources, the Brewers will receive minor-league pitcher Ruben Flores in return.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

redsfandan
08-19-2009, 06:17 PM
The Mariners are about to announce that they've acquired Bill Hall from the Milwaukee Brewers. We expect an announcement in 15 minutes.

No word yet on whether anybody is going back the other way, though I just got it confirmed that it's minor league pitcher Ruben Flores.

Hall will be put on the major league roster and will join the team here in Detroit.

The slumping third baseman/outfielder was designated for assignment by the Brewers a week ago and has until Friday to trade, outright to the minors or release him.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009692780_mariners_acquire_bill_hall_fro.html?syn dication=rss

11larkin11
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
This is a win for us.

One: We don't have to face Bill Hall anymore.

Two: Jocketty can't acquire him now.

Benihana
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Are the Mariners taking on that entire contract? :eek:

KronoRed
08-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Glad it's not the Reds

Benihana
08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Is Bill Bavasi go back to Seattle? ;)

Brutus
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Is Bill Bavasi go back to Seattle? ;)

yeah this seems like an odd setback for them. Are they going CYA if Beltre is gone after the season?

Will M
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM
good news.

Hall would be a guy to invite to spring training but is not a good player at this point. plus he has a huge contract

jojo
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
I believe the Brewers are picking up basically all of Hall's remaining contract.

This is basically the Ms trading a relatively generic arm for a little insurance at third with the hope that he can rebound a bit offensively.

It's not a big risk for the Ms.

As Brutus suggests, the "big deal" part of it is what it might mean regarding the likelihood Beltre returns.

Tom Servo
08-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Thank god it's not us.

If the Brewers are picking up most of the contract than it's not a bad deal for the M's though. Plus their GM with the crazy name was the one who worked in Milwaukee to get guys like Hall.

jojo
08-19-2009, 06:35 PM
USSM chimes in....

http://ussmariner.com/2009/08/19/ms-add-bill-hall/#comments

RedEye
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I actually wouldn't have minded the Reds adding Hall for that price. All the M's had to give up was a non-descript minor league arm AND the Brewers are picking up the whole salary? If Hall returns to anything resembling his old form, this is a heist. Heck, even if he becomes a somewhat useful utility player, this is a smart move.

Brutus
08-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I actually wouldn't have minded the Reds adding Hall for that price. All the M's had to give up was a non-descript minor league arm AND the Brewers are picking up the whole salary? If Hall returns to anything resembling his old form, this is a heist. Heck, even if he becomes a somewhat useful utility player, this is a smart move.

Normally, I'm in favor of fliers with high upside. In this case, I don't see a whole lot of it.

His stats have universally declined each of the past three seasons (correlation or causation to PED testing?)

Rates from 2006-2009 in chronological order (you will see a pattern):

BA

270-254-225-201

OBP

345-315-293-265

SLG

553-425-396-341

OPS

898-740-689-606

K%

30-28-30-34

ISO

283-170-171-140

Going on 30 and universally going the wrong direction. Probably best to stay far away, even as a low-expense flier.

Topcat
08-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Whew...... we avoided that mess :thumbup:

Ron Madden
08-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Good. Keep him away from Dusty Baker. :thumbup:

redsfandan
08-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Gord Ash weighs in on Hall trade
http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/08/gord_ash_weighs_in_on_hall_tra.html

Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash briefed reporters about today's trade, in which Milwaukee sent Bill Hall to the Mariners for Class A reliever Buddy Flores in a move to save some payroll. According to one report, the Brewers stand to save $1.75 million of the approximately $10.5 million left on Hall's contract.

Ash wouldn't confirm those details, but he did characterize the trade as financially-motivated.

"Obviously, when you enter into a long-term deal with a player, you hope that it's going to have a much different ending than this one has," Ash said. "Given [Hall's] ongoing struggles in Milwaukee, this gives him a fresh start, and it gives us some limited financial flexibility for next year compared to what we did owe him, and certainly for the year after in terms of the year after in terms of the buyout of the option. Maybe we can utilize those resources to address a more important need at the moment."

The Brewers and Mariners reached an agreement on the trade earlier in the day, but had to get approval from the Commissioner's Office because of the financial component. That came through just after 4:30 p.m. CT.

At least one other team showed legitimate interest in Hall, 29, who batted .201 in limited duty this season with six home runs and 24 RBIs.

"Doug was carrying on most of the conversation and he had a couple of clubs seriously interested, one in the National League and one in the American League, with a couple of others who made calls but were not serious," Ash said. "The National League club, in the last short while, didn't feel like it could match the financial relief that we were going to get with the Mariners."

Two NL teams were rumored to have interest: Cincinnati and San Francisco. In all the scenarios, Milwaukee would have received a Minor League player in return, Ash said, dousing speculation that the Reds might have tried to unload an equally bulky contract by dealing pitchers Aaron Harang or Bronson Arroyo.

"I saw someone wrote about significant Major League pitchers, but when you're in this situation when you designate a player for assignment and you're a day removed from releasing that player, a club's not going to go to that length to acquire a player like this," Ash said. "They can just wait and acquire the player as a free agent."

Ash said Flores is a power arm who has battled injuries in the past but has been healthy throughout 2009.

"This is not to dismiss [Flores'] abilities, but this is more of trying to secure financial relief than it is about acquiring personnel," Ash said.

CarolinaRedleg
08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Good. Keep him away from Dusty Baker. :thumbup:

No truer words have ever been spoken.

M2
08-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Bill Hall hitting in Safeco?

That won't go well.

flyer85
08-20-2009, 09:49 AM

That won't go well.especially since the Reds won't be visiting

jojo
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM

That won't go well.

He certainly shouldn't be planning on a power surge.

jojo
08-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Dave Cameron at USSM contemplates the significance of adding Hall (http://ussmariner.com/2009/08/21/the-hidden-value-of-bill-hall/):

While the focus on Hall since his acquisition has been his struggles with the bat the last few years, the largest part of his likely value to the team will come through his defensive flexibility. This isn’t something that we’ve talked about too much on the blog because it’s a minor detail that only comes into play when you’re expecting to field a winning team, and we haven’t had many of those to write about, but having a couple of guys who can play almost everywhere is a pretty valuable thing.

With Langerhans, Hannahan, and now Hall on board, the Mariners have two backups at every single position on the field other than catcher. Langerhans and Hall can both cover all three outfield spots, while Hannahan and Hall can both cover 3B/SS/2B, and Hannahan and Langerhans can both cover 1B. With just those three players, the Mariners now have a left-handed and right-handed backup option at every single non-catcher position on the field.

The flexibility offered by those three allows the M’s to do a bunch of things with the roster. They could platoon at DH again if they wanted (though I don’t think they’ll want to), as they have the ability to carry two guys with no defensive value. They could get a no-glove switch-hitter whose just around to pinch-hit. They could carry an extra pitcher when the bullpen gets a little worn down.

Hall, Hannahan, and Langerhans all signify that the Mariners are looking to build a roster in 2010, rather than just a big collection of talent. They fit together in a way that gives Wak an incredible amount of flexibility in how he uses his bench. By covering all the back-up jobs with just three players, the M’s have given themselves an extra roster spot to play with.

Managing a 25 man roster well-especially at the margins- is an important part of building a really good team. I have to admit that as an Ms fan, I love the narrative that Jack Zduriencick gets it and is good at it.... I hope Cameron's characterization is correct and given JZ has largely been Midas so far in Seattle, i'm tending to agree.

lollipopcurve
08-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Managing a 25 man roster well-especially at the margins- is an important part of building a really good team. I have to admit that as an Ms fan, I love the narrative that Jack Zduriencick gets it and is good at it.... I hope Cameron's characterization is correct and given JZ has largely been Midas so far in Seattle, i'm tending to agree.

I tend to agree that versatility is really good. But Bill Hall is very, very marginal as an outfielder. The CF experiment in Milwaukee was a failure. There's no guarantee that Hall/Hannahan won't be the 3B platoon, either.

jojo
08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I tend to agree that versatility is really good. But Bill Hall is very, very marginal as an outfielder. The CF experiment in Milwaukee was a failure. There's no guarantee that Hall/Hannahan won't be the 3B platoon, either.

Hall, numbers-wise grades out pretty well defensively in CF based upon +/- and UZR as these sytems suggest he was something like a neutral to slightly plus defender there in a little over 1000 defensive innings. That's not the most definitive sample size though.

Concerning third base, you may be right.