PDA

View Full Version : Votto update

Reds Fanatic
08-20-2009, 12:15 AM
An update on Votto from John Fay's blog:

Reds manager Dusty Baker said Joey Votto's blurry vision was not related to stress that kept him out for 21 games earlier this year.

“He went after the popup and said he couldn’t see,” Baker said. “When player says that, an alarm goes off.”

Votto saw an optometrist. Baker said it’s possible that Votto could play in today’s 12:35 p.m. game with the Giants.

WVRedsFan
08-20-2009, 01:05 AM
An update on Votto from John Fay's blog:

Interesting. Being a guy who's had a lot of eye problems, that usually means blood pressure. I have that problem, too. Hope he gets checked out.

RedsFan75
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Isn't Joey a diabetic? Or am I remembering that incorrectly? Wonder if it's related??

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2009, 01:10 PM
More on Votto
Posted by JohnFay at 8/20/2009 11:14 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Joey Votto's blurred vision was caused by a "retinal migrane."

"Right in between rain delay (and the game), a blurry spot popped up," he said. "It expanded during the game. I told Dusty (Baker) I had to come out of the game. About 25 minutes after I came out of the game, I laid down and dissipated. A pretty heavy headache popped up."

"I had my eyes checked. They said my eyes were plenty fine. It was just a visual migraine. They called it a retinal migraine."

Votto had never had one before.

"Never," he said. "That's why it was so scary. The vision in my left eye, it started with a blurry spot, then vision in left eye -- I wouldn't say it was gone -- but I couldn't see anything."

Votto has good perfect normally. He was not given medication.

Votto doesn't think it was related to the stress issues that put him on the disabled list for 21 games but he didn't rule it out.

"No, I don't think so," he said. "The doctor said it could be stress related. It's been kind of stressful lately with all the losing. It possibly could be. I'm not going to say yes or no on that one. It was a really odd occurrence. I hope it doesn't happen again."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af8e1fe22-d792-4f50-ab8b-3d3b729246d8&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

dunner13
08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
The positive thing about this is that we actually have a player that is really bothered by losing.

"The doctor said it could be stress related. It's been kind of stressful lately with all the losing."

nate
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
The positive thing about this is that we actually have a player that is really bothered by losing.

"The doctor said it could be stress related. It's been kind of stressful lately with all the losing."

I'm pretty sure we have 25 of them.

reds1869
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I have retinal migraines all the time so I totally sympathize. When I first started having them it was quite terrifying. Now that I'm used to them I carry on with my activities (other than obvious non-nos like driving), as I suspect Joey will once he adjusts. Then again, he might never have another and that would be fantastic.

TRF
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
My wife and daughter gets these types of migraines, they usually come in clusters too, like 2-3 in the span of a week.

reds1869
08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
My wife and daughter gets these types of migraines, they usually come in clusters too, like 2-3 in the span of a week.

Same for me. They come in bunches and I usually notice that it occurs when my blood pressure is a bit elevated.

Bob Borkowski
08-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I have retinal migraines all the time so I totally sympathize. When I first started having them it was quite terrifying. Now that I'm used to them I carry on with my activities (other than obvious non-nos like driving), as I suspect Joey will once he adjusts. Then again, he might never have another and that would be fantastic.

I've had these off and on since 1963. No headache associated with mine, just the strange disturbance to my vision. For me, it lasts maybe 20 minutes, leaves quickly when it's over and then might not happen again for a couple of years...or it could happen the next day. I have no way of predicting.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe what I have is called by a different name, but it certainly seems similar.

I've never heard of a ballplayer having this problem.

CarolinaRedleg
08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I've had something along those lines before I think. It started with a bright blot in my field of vision and after it developed, I had no peripheral vision in my right eye for about 20 minutes. Scary stuff.

Kc61
08-20-2009, 01:42 PM

I hope Bob and Walt took note of that comment. Constant losing is destructive of a sports team.

I hope they keep this in mind when they consider the John Fay "do nothing" plan for this off-season.

RedsManRick
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
More on Votto
Posted by JohnFay at 8/20/2009 11:14 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Votto has good perfect normally. He was not given medication.

That's good to hear. I was afraid his perfect was poor.

RedsManRick
08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I hope Bob and Walt took note of that comment. Constant losing is destructive of a sports team.

I hope they keep this in mind when they consider the John Fay "do nothing" plan for this off-season.

Because the win-now mentality has been so successful? I agree that continuous losing is destructive. But that shouldn't influence the way in which you go about building a winner. The Reds paranoia about the appearance of true rebuilding has been a significant cause in their ongoing struggles.

I remember when the Brewers started their 5 year plan. Players were quoted as saying things like "Well, I don't like losing, but it's good to know that we're finally headed in the right direction."

Unless Castellini is going to open up the checkbook big time, the Reds will have to be a slow, smart build type of organization. Unless and until they get this, the losing won't stop. Luckily, they're already on something like year 3 of a 5 year plan -- I just hope they don't screw up their window by doing more "win now" moves like Taveras, Hairston, and Lincoln.

Screwball
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
That's good to hear. I was afraid his perfect was poor.

:laugh: Fay's such a clown.

Jpup
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Poor Joey, it's always something. I know it's tough on him, but can anyone have worse luck?

Kc61
08-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Because the win-now mentality has been so successful? I agree that continuous losing is destructive. But that shouldn't influence the way in which you go about building a winner. The Reds paranoia about the appearance of true rebuilding has been a significant cause in their ongoing struggles.

I remember when the Brewers started their 5 year plan. Players were quoted as saying things like "Well, I don't like losing, but it's good to know that we're finally headed in the right direction."

Unless Castellini is going to open up the checkbook big time, the Reds will have to be a slow, smart build type of organization. Unless and until they get this, the losing won't stop. Luckily, they're already on something like year 3 of a 5 year plan -- I just hope they don't screw up their window by doing more "win now" moves like Taveras, Hairston, and Lincoln.

Nobody ever said there was a "win now" plan. Bob said he was tired of losing. I don't blame him. So am I. And constant losing is destructive of a team and of young players.

I don't believe in "go young" plans for ballclubs. What it says to me is: Ownership won't spend on top talent so let's hope that a bunch of unproven kids become great. And then sign to stay with the team. To me, this approach accepts and excuses the team's failure to get good veteran players.

You build with excellent veterans, talented kids, inexpensive but solid guys, and backup role players. A good mixture of players from all sources.

I also believe that a few anchor veteran players make life much easier for kids and for the less talented guys. Just like Cordero in the pen -- he enabled others to take roles that made sense for them and did not demand too much from them. The same should happen for the offense.

You want a plan? Get good players of all kinds from all sources. Very good players. That's my plan.

RedsManRick
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Nobody ever said there was a "win now" plan. Bob said he was tired of losing. I don't blame him. So am I. And constant losing is destructive of a team and of young players.

I don't believe in "go young" plans for ballclubs. What it says to me is: Ownership won't spend on top talent so let's hope that a bunch of unproven kids become great. And then sign to stay with the team. To me, this approach accepts and excuses the team's failure to get good veteran players.

You build with excellent veterans, talented kids, inexpensive but solid guys, and backup role players. A good mixture of players from all sources.

I also believe that a few anchor veteran players make life much easier for kids and for the less talented guys. Just like Cordero in the pen -- he enabled others to take roles that made sense for them and did not demand too much from them. The same should happen for the offense.

You want a plan? Get good players of all kinds from all sources. Very good players. That's my plan.

"The losing stops now" is 100% the same as "the winning starts now".

If if the winning starts now, and the reason for losing is a lack of talent on the 25 man roster, then then the formula has to involve acquiring a significant amount of talent from outside of the organization.

I'm not saying you build a great team solely through player development. You sign key veterans to fill the spots you can't fill internally (e.g. Cordero). You trade away prospects who you can afford to lose to improve elsewhere.

My problem with the Reds has been their execution moreso than their plan itself. You want to spend money in FA to bring in talent, please do. Just don't spend it on sub-replacement crap.

The Reds could have had Dickerson in CF and Abreu in LF. Instead we Willy Taveras and Darnell McDonald.

We could have had Roenicke, Fisher, Manuel, or Ramirez in long/middle relief role in the pen. Instead we Mike Lincoln.

Cordero is a great guy to have in your bullpen. But when you spend a greater amount of money relative to your payroll on your pen than anybody else in baseball, that's probably a sign that you've misallocated your funds.

Win now? Fine. Just develop a plan and start making the types of decisions that actually lead to winning in the context of what you're capable of doing.

I'm tired of hearing that somehow we're going to add 1 and 1 and get 11.