PDA

View Full Version : Billy Wagner

Kc61
08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Came back from TJ surgery tonight with a perfect inning, two strikeouts. Looked terrific. Surgery was less than a year ago.

dougdirt
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Guys are starting to come back from TJ in 10-12 months now rather than 12-14. Kind of crazy.

Joseph
08-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Let's just be thankful we have such a good medical staff here in Cincinnati and therefore EV will be back sooner rather than later.

savafan
08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Let's just be thankful we have such a good medical staff here in Cincinnati and therefore EV will be back sooner rather than later.

And could be back on the DL sooner rather than later as well, probably with something like a ruptured skull or some such random injury.

RedsManRick
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM

I have no doubts he'll be back ahead of schedule. Whether or not he'll fully recovered at the time is another question entirely.

redsfandan
08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Came back from TJ surgery tonight with a perfect inning, two strikeouts. Looked terrific. Surgery was less than a year ago.
Which is why I picked him up in a couple leagues weeks ago. A nice buy low sleeper. (woops wrong forum :eek: )

Anyway, I'm not that worried about Volquez. I bet he'll be back on a rehab stint in the minors by the all-star break if not sooner. That would be roughly 11 months after the surgery which seems realistic to me if there's no complications. That would coincide with the perfect time to deal Arroyo or Harang if they're still here.

redsfandan
08-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Billy Wagner Claimed On Waivers By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 21 at 2:28pm CST]

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that an unidetified team has claimed Billy Wagner on waivers. Wagner, who has $2.7MM coming his way before the end of the season, will make $8MM next year if his team doesn't buy him out for $1MM. The Mets now have three days to work out a trade with the claiming team. Afterwards, they can either pull him back off waivers or allow the other team to take him and his contract away, Alex Rios-style.

Falls City Beer
08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I have no doubts he'll be back ahead of schedule. Whether or not he'll fully recovered at the time is another question entirely.

Exactly.

redsfandan
08-21-2009, 03:44 PM
There's speculation that the Boston Red Sox are the team that claimed Wagner.

NJReds
08-21-2009, 04:14 PM
There's speculation that the Boston Red Sox are the team that claimed Wagner.

I'm surprised that he got through the entire NL. Colorado, San Francisco and the Dodgers all could use a guy like Wagner.

savafan
08-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Mets may be smart just to let him go. They already have KRod and Putz, not really a need for Wagner.

Jpup
08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I would guess that Philly could be the team that claimed him.

blumj
08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I would guess that Philly could be the team that claimed him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9966794/Source:-BoSox-claim-Mets'-Wagner-off-waivers

Rosenthal seems pretty convinced it's the Red Sox now. He also seems to think the Mets want value in return for him.

redsfandan
08-22-2009, 12:11 AM
I thought this was interesting:

Odds & Ends: Duchscherer, Clark, Wagner By Mike Axisa [August 21 at 8:46pm CST]
Friday Night Lights Links...

•Justin Duchscherer will miss the rest of the season with clinical depression according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. He's been on the disabled list just about all season with an elbow issue, but this is just sad, sad news. CSN California first had the scoop earlier tonight. Duke is scheduled to become a free agent after the season.

•MLB.com's Steve Gilbert reports that Tony Clark has had discussions with the Diamondbacks about possibly joining the team in a baseball operations role. The club released Clark last month.

•Joel Sherman of The NY Post spoke to an AL executive who speculates (key word) that the Red Sox "claimed (Billy) Wagner over worries that (Jonathan) Papelbon's mechanics and control are off." Remember, the key word is speculates.

•LeVon Washington, Tampa Bay's unsigned first round pick, has choosen to attend JuCo powerhouse Chipola College next season according to Marc Lancaster of The Tampa Tribune. The school has produced Buck Showalter, Mat Gamel, and Russell Martin, among others. Washington will be eligible for the draft again next year.

blumj
08-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Papelbon's been a little erratic, but a 38 year old coming off TJ seems unlikely to be less erratic.

PuffyPig
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Papelbon's been a little erratic, but a 38 year old coming off TJ seems unlikely to be less erratic.

Unless that 38 year old player is Wagner.

When you have mega-bucks, you can risk some on a guy like Wagner. He might just give you 3 weeks of pitching to win you a world series.

Benihana
08-22-2009, 09:11 AM

When you have mega-bucks, you can risk some on a guy like Wagner. He might just give you 3 weeks of pitching to win you a world series.

I don't think the Red Sox will be winning the World Series this year. I'm not even sure if they'll be playing in the postseason.

I'm surprised the Cubs and the Phillies didn't take a swipe at Wagner. Maybe they wouldn't have much interest in Cordero after all. Time to call the Angels (or the Red Sox, if they can't work out a deal for Wagner.)

NJReds
08-22-2009, 09:40 AM
It is the Red Sox. I'm surprised that contenders in the NL wouldn't take a shot at him for $3.5M (his salary for this year and a buyout). The Sox have a lot of minor league talent, I'm sure they'll come to some agreement with the Mets.

klw
08-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Reds starting 9 on Friday make for the year roughly what Wagner will make the rest of the year. Figure in that they got paid less than that yearly average while they were in the minors and it is likely far less than Wagner will be owed if the Sox pick him up for 5 weeks.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3acbdfdf51-7ea3-493c-8340-4cdd8bd8234b&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Chris Dickerson lf
Drew Stubbs cf
Joey Votto 1b
Laynce Nix rf
Adam Rosales 3b
Drew Sutton 2b
Ryan Hanigan c
Paul Janish ss
Micah Owings p

This is lineup makes a total of $3,857,500. Only Nix ($600,000), Votto ($437,500) and Owings ($420,000) make over the $400,000 minimum. I really think Wladimir Balentien should be playing left everyday. If he was in there, we'd have a $3,662,500 lineup.

blumj
08-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, they must want him or they wouldn't have claimed him. But, unless Papelbon gets injured, there's no way Wagner would get a chance to swipe his job, which is what that speculation seemed to me to be implying.

blumj
08-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Deal got done, for 2 PTBNLs.

NJReds
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
The Mets are reportedly going to lower their payroll next year from $150M to the $120M range.

Of course, I still cursed at the radio when a local host said that they were in effect now a "small market team like the Royals" :rolleyes:

Much like the Reds, the Mets took a beating this year with injuries: Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Santana, Maine, Perez, Putz, Church (before he was traded) and Francouer (after they got him).

top6
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm surprised the Cubs and the Phillies didn't take a swipe at Wagner. Maybe they wouldn't have much interest in Cordero after all. Time to call the Angels (or the Red Sox, if they can't work out a deal for Wagner.)

Don't AL teams get the first chance at him?

blumj
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't AL teams get the first chance at him?
No, NL teams would have. But that's a lot of money to spend with this little time left in the season and with him just barely off TJ surgery.

Highlifeman21
08-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Deal got done, for 2 PTBNLs.

I thought Wagner wasn't waiving his no trade?

blumj
08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
BTW, rumor is that one of the PTBNLs is Chris Carter, who they got from the Nats via the D-Backs for Wily Mo Pena. If they do manage to get compensation picks for Wagner, the Bronson Arroyo circle could live on for a while.

NJReds
08-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Changed his mind. Boston said they wouldn't pick up his option (which was one of his demands to waive his no-trade).

blumj
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Changed his mind.

top6
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
No, NL teams would have. But that's a lot of money to spend with this little time left in the season and with him just barely off TJ surgery.

Oh yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Braves To Sign Billy Wagner
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 2 at 1:28am CST]

The Braves have agreed to sign Billy Wagner, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The deal is worth $7MM and includes a $6.5MM option for 2011 that vests if Wagner finishes 50 games.

The Red Sox offered the lefty arbitration tonight, so they stand to gain the Braves' first round pick in next year's draft, plus a supplemental rounder. The move is pending a physical, which could be more than a formality in this case. The 38-year-old returned from Tommy John surgery last year to strike out 15 batters per nine innings in 17 appearances with the Mets and Red Sox.

The Elias numbers rank John Lackey, Matt Holliday, Marco Scutaro and Jose Valverde ahead of Wagner, so if the Braves sign one of those players, the Red Sox would get the Braves' 52nd overall selection.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

redsfandan
12-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Good deal for Wagner. I'm a little surprised he got that much.

blumj
12-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Good deal for Wagner. I'm a little surprised he got that much.
He looked surprisingly good last season, not just "good for someone just off TJS", typical Billy Wagner good.

NJReds
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Why would the Braves let Gonzalez and Soriano go (hasn't happened, but it's been reported) and sign Wagner for big $$$?