PDA

View Full Version : Usain Bolt

travisgrimes
08-21-2009, 02:20 PM
He set the 100m and 200m world records, again, at the world championships in Berlin. I was watching ESPN and the track and field reporter Larry Rawson did some math on Bolt and this is ridiculous.

40 yard dash in full flight to NFL end zone: 2.95 seconds

Rate of speed in full sprint: 26 MPH

Regular NFL combine 40 yard dash time: 3.82 seconds

So I'm thinking I don't care if he had never heard of football, give the guy a helmet, some pads and some money. Put his butt on kick return and punt return, teach him to catch, and tell him as soon as he gets the ball just RUN!

dougdirt
08-21-2009, 02:54 PM
He set the 100m and 200m world records, again, at the world championships in Berlin. I was watching ESPN and the track and field reporter Larry Rawson did some math on Bolt and this is ridiculous.

40 yard dash in full flight to NFL end zone: 2.95 seconds

Rate of speed in full sprint: 26 MPH

Regular NFL combine 40 yard dash time: 3.82 seconds

So I'm thinking I don't care if he had never heard of football, give the guy a helmet, some pads and some money. Put his butt on kick return and punt return, teach him to catch, and tell him as soon as he gets the ball just RUN!
One hit and he is done. He wouldn't make it in the NFL.

gonelong
08-21-2009, 03:01 PM
One hit and he is done. He wouldn't make it in the NFL.

Hard to say, a number of guys smaller than him in the NFL.

I have always thought a Hakeem Olajuwan/ Shaq type would make one heck of Red Zone tight end. Bunch of 5'1" 200 lb guys trying to double team them? No problem.

GL

camisadelgolf
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Hard to say, a number of guys smaller than him in the NFL.

I have always thought a Hakeem Olajuwan/ Shaq type would make one heck of Red Zone tight end. Bunch of 5'1" 200 lb guys trying to double team them? No problem.

GL
I think most of the members of RZ wouldn't have much trouble beating guys of that size on a football field.

cumberlandreds
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
There have been a couple of Olympic sprinters that have made it in the NFL. Willie Gault is one and Bob Hayes is a HOFer. I think it would be worth a teams time to explore if he were interested or not.

RichRed
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
There have been a couple of Olympic sprinters that have made it in the NFL. Willie Gault is one and Bob Hayes is a HOFer. I think it would be worth a teams time to explore if he were interested or not.

Renaldo Nehemiah is another. He only lasted three seasons with 43 career receptions but got a Super Bowl ring.

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2009, 04:16 PM
You could have him run deep routes and special teams just to spread out the defense.

travisgrimes
08-21-2009, 05:38 PM
see why not? bengals should sign him... he would have to be an upgrade on special teams over Quan Cosby

redsfanmia
08-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Why would Bolt play football? I am sure he is making a ton of money running track.

BuckeyeRed27
08-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Why would Bolt play football? I am sure he is making a ton of money running track.

Well he only makes money running track from endorsements. I think I have read that he makes 10-15M with his primary source being Puma.
If he played football he would still keep that plus get an NFL salary which depending on his skill could be pretty high and it would also open a lot more endorsement deals for him. Track isn't the most visable sport.

CTA513
08-21-2009, 08:24 PM
He would probably quit after taking some of the hits he would have to take a WR.

redsfanmia
08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Well he only makes money running track from endorsements. I think I have read that he makes 10-15M with his primary source being Puma.
If he played football he would still keep that plus get an NFL salary which depending on his skill could be pretty high and it would also open a lot more endorsement deals for him. Track isn't the most visable sport.

Just because he is fast does not mean he could play football. How much do you think a project WR/Return man make in the NFL? League minimum?....that would be a great career move for Bolt.

BuckeyeRed27
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Just because he is fast does not mean he could play football. How much do you think a project WR/Return man make in the NFL? League minimum?....that would be a great career move for Bolt.

I'm assuming that he had some skill and could play. I'm sure pro scouts wouldn't have too hard of a time figuring that out.

He would probably get above league minimum on name recognition alone.

Tony Cloninger
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
I got a brilliant idea and one that Dusty would embrace. Designated Pinch Runner!

dougdirt
08-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I got a brilliant idea and one that Dusty would embrace. Designated Pinch Runner!

The A's had a guy like that in 1970's. Larry Lintz went 0-1 on the entire season but had 31 steals and 11 CS. Herb Washington didn't have a sinlge at bat in 1974, but had 29 steals.

Tony Cloninger
08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I know .... I remember them well. I had their baseball cards. Lintz played for the Expos too and actually hit during 1975 season. Played regularly for who else? Gene Mauch. The definition of little ball manager.

When i got Larry's baseball card..... i could not figure out how in the heck he played so many games and had only 1 AB? I was 10 then.

WMR
08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
So you're telling me Bolt makes 10-15 million dollars PER YEAR running track?

IF that is anywhere close to being true he should stay far, far away from the NFL.

wolfboy
08-25-2009, 08:58 PM

CF. He's fast.

dsmith421
08-27-2009, 02:11 AM
So you're telling me Bolt makes 10-15 million dollars PER YEAR running track?

IF that is anywhere close to being true he should stay far, far away from the NFL.

Exactly. On the one hand, I could join Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis as the fastest men in history. On the other hand, I could go return kicks in Jacksonville and get slaughtered by some rabid man-beast from Arkansas or an affiliated hellhole. No thanks.