PDA

View Full Version : On the horn with Brian Sabean

Brutus
08-22-2009, 09:02 PM
This is kind of just random thinking, but I wonder the feasibility of the Reds getting somewhere if they dialed up the Giants to inquire about Jonathan Sanchez.

Sanchez, of course, played ball at Ohio Dominican College which is located just outside of Columbus. So he's got some Ohio roots (inasmuch a guy from Puerto Rico could have).

Anyhow, while the Giants, even when they removed him from the rotation, had not given up on him, I wonder the odds of being able to pry him away.

Since being inserted back in the rotation, he's put up the following line:

2.89 ERA
0.97 WHIP
11.1 K/9
2.7 K/BB
0.90 HR/9
3.38 FIP

What's more, is that he's had 3 games of giving up zero earned runs. Only twice has he given up more than 3 runs. In each of those two games, he really made only one or two bad pitches the entire game.

I'm guessing the Giants aren't looking to move him. But he's 26 (going on 27) and the kind of pitcher (misses bats) the Reds could use. Plus being a lefty doesn't hurt either.

It's probably wishful thinking, but he's a guy I really would like to see the Reds go after.

mth123
08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Chances are nil. Time to get him was last year when EdE had value, the Giants were looking for a 3B bat and Sanchez was struggling. Instead they dealt EdE in a franchise killing deal.

Brutus
08-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Chances are nil. Time to get him was last year when EdE had value, the Giants were looking for a 3B bat and Sanchez was struggling. Instead they dealt EdE in a franchise killing deal.

Well, you may well be right about the Reds missing their chance on that. But franchise killing? That's a bit extreme.

Scrap Irony
08-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow. Franchise killing? Really?

:rolleyes:

mth123
08-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, you may well be right about the Reds missing their chance on that. But franchise killing? That's a bit extreme.

Probably right that it was a poor choice of words, but dealing good young pitchers for a marginal upgrade that kills the budget out of man-love sets the team back IMO.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Imo, Encarnacion is on his way to having negative value. We all know about his defense (possibly the worst at his position?), his salary is due to increase, and offensively, there's a very realistic chance that he's exiting his prime despite his age. In fact, the numbers suggest that his marginal success in 2008 was largely aided by luck. The Reds gave up Josh Roenicke, who isn't needed thanks to the bullpen depth, and Zach Stewart, one of the better prospects in the system. However, the Reds received Rolen, a difference-maker at 3B that the Reds wouldn't otherwise have, and the money necessary to make the deal happen which amounts to a lot more than chump change. Depending on Stewart, the trade may hurt the Reds in the long run, but I don't think there's any doubt that the team got a lot better for 2010. If the Reds contend next year, it's probably largely due to the trade, and if the Reds aren't competing, I'm sure the Reds could get a pretty good prospect in return for Rolen at the deadline.

edit: I apologize for the wall of text.

GADawg
08-23-2009, 11:55 AM

how can you kill something that's already dead?

mth123
08-23-2009, 11:56 AM
how can you kill something that's already dead?

Good point.

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm a big Jonathan Sanchez fan. I said numerous times last offseason that the Reds should offer EdE for Sanchez when the Giants were shopping him for a bat.

Patrick Bateman
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Ummm.... the time to get a player is at their low value, like when Sanchez was removed from the rotation.

I don't think the Giants are going to jump at the chance to trade a guy that has begun to develop to his potential, and has pitched marvelous ball (and a no-hitter to boot). Now if you want Sanchez, it's not to take a flier on him, but to move some immense pieces to make him a core part, which basically defeats the purpose.

Dom Heffner
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Sanchez has control problems. I don't know that they are going away, in fact I think his BB/9 has been on the rise.

He sports close to a 1.88 K/BB ratio and .86 Ground ball/fly ball rate.

Too many base runners- guys like this are maddeing. See: Cabrera, Daniel.

Pass.

Patrick Bateman
08-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I personally think that Sanchez is more like last year's version of Volquez than he is Daniel Cabrera.

Dom Heffner
08-23-2009, 08:54 PM
His walk rate has gotten worse- take it for what it's worth, but i't's not trending in the right direction.

Cabrera was a bit of an extreme comparison- Volquez is pretty kind. He's somewhere in the middle. I can't stand guys who walk that mnay people. It's an untrustworthy roller coaster ride.

ramp101
08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
FWIW, Sanchez just went on the DL

Brutus
08-25-2009, 10:15 PM
FWIW, Sanchez just went on the DL

Ramp, it was actually Freddy Sanchez that got placed on the DL, not Jonathan.