PDA

View Full Version : Harang out for year

Mainspark
08-23-2009, 12:52 PM
WLW is reporting Harang underwent emergency (is there any other kind) appendectomy surgery last night; out for season.

And from Fay's blog:

Aaron Harang returned to Cincinnati last night and had an emergency appendectomy.
He’s probably done for the season.

“He’s not supposed to do anything for three weeks,” Dusty Baker said.
No word on who will make Harang’s start Wednesday in Milwaukee. I’d guess Kip Wells.
“It’s been hell, ain’t it?” Baker said. “Whoever said injuries aren’t an excuse is lying. We get (Scott) Rolen back, and we lose Harang.”
Harang felt pain early Saturday morning. He was examined here. They caught it early enough that he was OK to ride back. Equipment manager Rick Stowe drove him. Doctors did not want him to fly.

TheNext44
08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Hello rotation of Arroyo, Owings, Bailey, Lehr and Wells. :thumbup:

And look out Nationals, you are about to be in a drag out race for the first pick in the draft.

Unassisted
08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
How fitting that this should happen on the day that the Reds move into the bottom of the division.

Get well soon and take care of yourself over the winter, Aaron.

chicoruiz
08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Welcome back, Matt Maloney...

RedEye
08-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow. I'm now half expecting Bronson Arroyo to spontaneously combust.

Joseph
08-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh boy.

RedEye
08-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Bryce Harper anyone?

BCubb2003
I blame Walt Jocketty.

Or Castellini. One of those guys.

reds44
“It’s been hell, ain’t it?” Baker said. “Whoever said injuries aren’t an excuse is lying. We get (Scott) Rolen back, and we lose Harang.”

mbgrayson
WLW is reporting Harang underwent emergency appendictomy surgery last night; out for season.

Wow. I hope Aaron is OK and has a good recovery.

RedEye
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
I guess they won't be flipping Harang for prospects any time soon.

Guacarock
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Why settle for a lateral to SS? Let's get really creative and move Phillips into the rotation.

RedEye
08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Why settle for a lateral to SS? Let's get really creative and move Phillips into the rotation.

I was thinking Janish might be a better option. :)

BCubb2003
08-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I was thinking Janish might be a better option. :)

Rosales has a first-rate arm.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Rosales has a first-rate arm.
Rosales has had Tommy John surgery. I have doubts about his throwing mechanics. Craig Tatum has a good arm and hits like a pitcher anyway, so he gets my vote.

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow, that sucks. Harang had been pitching very well in his last five starts too.

Get well soon Aaron.

Reds4Life
08-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Isn't much left to go wrong this season.

Hopefully Aaron is already feeling better, I had the same thing a few years ago, I felt like death. Only a couple hours after the surgery, I felt 10x better.

mbgrayson
08-23-2009, 01:30 PM
How about Travis Wood? He is 4-1, with a 2.87 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP in 6 starts for Louisville since being promoted from Carolina. He is only 22 years old...

nate
08-23-2009, 01:31 PM
And some people say the relief appearance in San Diego last year didn't make a difference!

:cool:

JaxRed
08-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I think you give Maloney an extended look for rest of season. Please, Reds, do the right thing. Don't give us Wells.

Will M
08-23-2009, 01:34 PM
honestly this is no big deal. he will make a full recovery.

the Reds aren't going anywhere. rest the big guy for 2010.

Will M
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
p.s. - lets see Maloney again. (unless the Reds plan to trade him this winter and don't want to hurt his value)

JaxRed
08-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Well in yesterdays Bats notes Maloney was listed as today's starter. Now the web site shows both teams as TDB.

Hap
08-23-2009, 01:38 PM
And some people say the relief appearance in San Diego last year didn't make a difference!

:cool:

I think it was Bob Boone's fault and Dave Miley should have magically fixed it.

Spring~Fields
08-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow, that sucks. Harang had been pitching very well in his last five starts too.

Get well soon Aaron.

I am sorry that Harang had this health issue, then on the other hand I am happy for Harang that he will get a break from this team and the stress of it all.

cumberlandreds
08-23-2009, 01:42 PM
The hits just keep on coming for the Reds. My best goes out for Harang to get better quickly. Can this season get over quickly enough?

mbgrayson
08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I think it was Bob Boone's fault and Dave Miley should have magically fixed it.

Clearly this is Dr. Kremchek's fault...he should have realized the appendix was causing Harang's problems and taken it out last off-season! ;)

Jpup
08-23-2009, 01:56 PM
The Reds have all that depth in minor leagues. No one should worry.

oneupper
08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Hello rotation of Arroyo, Owings, Bailey, Lehr and Wells. :thumbup:

And look out Nationals, you are about to be in a drag out race for the first pick in the draft.

From HAVOC to A-BLOW?

SMcGavin
08-23-2009, 02:08 PM
A fitting turn of events considering how this season has gone, but as long as Harang's OK it's not the worst thing ever. Better this than an arm injury. Rest up Aaron, we'll see you in 2010.

fearofpopvol1
08-23-2009, 02:08 PM
That sucks big time for Harrang. Hope he gets better soon.

Not that it was going to happen anyway, but this confirms no chance of Harang being dealt at the end of the month. And it probably solidifies that Arroyo will not be dealt either.

redsfandan
08-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, we're running out of players that haven't missed some time... :rolleyes:

cincrazy
08-23-2009, 02:22 PM
This may be a blessing in disguise. Give him a month and a half off, let him save some bullets for next year. At least it's not a shoulder or elbow problem, and I'd rather lose the rest of our games anyways, so this isn't horrible news to me.

PuffyPig
08-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Harang has pitched extremely well of late, and his season stats ( 4.21 ERA, 4.09 FIP and 3.98 xFIP) indicates he's basically been the same pitcher he was from 2006-2007.

Big Klu
08-23-2009, 02:41 PM
WLW is reporting Harang underwent emergency (is there any other kind) appendectomy surgery last night; out for season.

And from Fay's blog:

Aaron Harang returned to Cincinnati last night and had an emergency appendectomy.
He’s probably done for the season.

“He’s not supposed to do anything for three weeks,” Dusty Baker said.
No word on who will make Harang’s start Wednesday in Milwaukee. I’d guess Kip Wells.
Harang felt pain early Saturday morning. He was examined here. They caught it early enough that he was OK to ride back. Equipment manager Rick Stowe drove him. Doctors did not want him to fly.

You know, they have hospitals and doctors in Pittsburgh, too.

With the off day on Monday, the Reds could keep everyone on their regular turn and not need a fifth starter until Saturday.

redsfandan
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah I don't get that. Why drive him 4+ hours back to Cincy when he could just have the surgery there?

HeatherC1212
08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
SNAKE.BIT. :bang: I cannot believe all the things that have happened to this team this year. I'm sitting here shaking my head wondering what any of these guys did to deserve this kind of situation. If anything I feel worse for the guys who are left because they're going to take the blame for everything this year and they're doing the best they can with what they have which will all know isn't much right now. Get well soon Aaron and PLEASE let this be the last thing that happens to this team before the end of the season. :(

BTW-IIRC, Wood just started for Louisville last night so he would be going on short rest if they brought him up for Wednesday. I bet Wells gets the spot start and when the rosters expand they bring up a few pitchers from the minors to get through September. That's just my theory anyway.

JaxRed
08-23-2009, 02:54 PM
You do the surgery here because his family is here, and can visit him till he leaves hospital, and when he goes home it's a short ride.

redsfandan
08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey, it's his choice but i would've gotten it done right away myself. Make the drive in no pain instead of in pain.

Tom Servo
08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
2009 has been awesome.

SirFelixCat
08-23-2009, 03:23 PM
A fitting turn of events considering how this season has gone, but as long as Harang's OK it's not the worst thing ever. Better this than an arm injury. Rest up Aaron, we'll see you in 2010.

Agreed. My first thought reading the title was "OMG, you're kidding me...what happened?" Then when I read it was his appendix, i shrugged my shoulder, laughed out loud to myself and just was grateful it wasn't anything arm related.

Just rest up and enjoy the off-season, Aaron and be ready to kill it in 2010!:thumbup:

*BaseClogger*
08-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Harang has pitched extremely well of late, and his season stats ( 4.21 ERA, 4.09 FIP and 3.98 xFIP) indicates he's basically been the same pitcher he was from 2006-2007.

The biggest difference for me is GB%:

2004 - 42.2%
2005 - 39.1%
2006 - 38.5%
2007 - 40.3%
2008 - 34.1%
2009 - 34.9%

I'm guessing it has something to do with less bite on his slider:

Slider PitchFX Vertical Movement:

2007 - 3.7
2008 - 2.4
2009 - 2.1

_Sir_Charles_
08-23-2009, 03:51 PM
From HAVOC to A-BLOW?

:beerme:

Nicely played.

Heath
08-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah I don't get that. Why drive him 4+ hours back to Cincy when he could just have the surgery there?

My guess is that the Cincinnati Hospitals are are part of the Reds In-network Health Plan.

Az Red
08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Spring training can't get here fast enough. Get well, Aaron.

MrCinatit
08-23-2009, 04:40 PM
The way things have been going this year, I fully expect to see Phillips ready himself for a grounder, only to be run over by a bus.

CTA513
08-23-2009, 04:45 PM
The way things have been going this year, I fully expect to see Phillips ready himself for a grounder, only to be run over by a bus.

Now he'll be looking to avoid a bus only to get blindsided by Jerome Bettis.

:p:

Big Klu
08-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Fortunately, he's retired.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/football/nfl/specials/preview/2004/08/05/fivequestions.bettis/p1_bettis_getty.jpg

_Sir_Charles_
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but this seems to be the most injury plagued team the Reds have ever had. I've been following since the early 70's and I sure don't recall one.

Today's casualties...

Harang-appendectomy
Dickerson-injured ankle on pick-off
Hanigan-foul ball off mask replaced by Tatum

klw
08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Dickerson has a sprained left ankle. X-rays were negative. He'll be examined tomorrow in the Cincinnati by Dr. Tim Kremchek.
Per Fay

VR
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Initially miffed, very quickly realized this is a blessing in disguise.

Harang gets a month off with a non-baseball injury, full recovery 100% guaranteed...AND, he had an exceptional Auguest to finish his year, going 28.1 innings, with 25 hits and 27 k's. Very well done!

mth123
08-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Initially miffed, very quickly realized this is a blessing in disguise.

Harang gets a month off with a non-baseball injury, full recovery 100% guaranteed...AND, he had an exceptional Auguest to finish his year, going 28.1 innings, with 25 hits and 27 k's. Very well done!

Kind of how I'm looking at it too. Hopefully it rejuvinates him for 2010.

BCubb2003
08-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Phillips: Eyelash injury.
Gomes: Run over by the tarp.
Herrera: Throws his back out sneezing.

mth123
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Phillips: Eyelash injury.
Gomes: Run over by the tarp.
Herrera: Throws his back out sneezing.

Chris Brown - Eyelash Injury
Vince Coleman - Run over by the tarp
???? - Throws his back out sneezing.

_Sir_Charles_
08-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Seriously, it's been nearly overwhelming the number of injuries we've had this year. Because of the high number, I actually forgot about a bunch of them. I think this is all of them for this season....let me know if I missed any. (REAL ones)

Bray-Shoulder tendonitis-injured during ST-turned into elbow problems & surgery
Hairston-several weeks out from flu-no DL but lingering effects
Masset-Oblique muscle-DL’d eventually
Encarnacion-Sore wrist in ST-actually broken-long DL stint
Arroyo-carpal tunnel-no DL but lingering effects
Volquez-Back spasms-tendonitis-eventually Tommy John surgery
Phillips-Broken thumb-no DL but lingering effects
Votto-out “sick” but revealed later what it was-long DL stint
Lincoln-neck injury-surgery
Gonzalez-Hamstring/Oblique/Knee/loose bodies in elbow/surgery
Mike Leake-Yonder Alonso-both injured same day (Leake’s minor-Yonder fracture)
Castillo-torn labrum rt. Shoulder-surgery
Richar-shoulder injury on slide home- DL
Bruce-fractured rt wrist-long DL stint
Hernandez-sore knee-surgery
Burton-shortness of breath-DL
Dickerson-back problems-rotator cuff-DL-(new-ankle injury)
Hanigan-neck stiffness-no DL but lingering effects-(new-foul ball off facemask)
Owings-Tight shoulder-DL
Rolen-concusion from HBP to head-DL
Taveras-early hamstring problems & flu-no DL though/ DL late in season due to wrist
Cueto-back strain/hip flexor/shoulder inflammation-DL
Harang-(new-appendectomy)-surgery-DL
Bailey-line drive off ankle-no DL stint

BCubb2003
08-23-2009, 07:25 PM

I think they call it Sosasitis.

*BaseClogger*
08-23-2009, 07:26 PM

Sammy Sosa...

RedEye
08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
While we're on freak injuries, don't forget Clint Barmes' memorable ACL tear a few years back -- suffered while lugging deer meat in his garage.

mth123
08-23-2009, 08:27 PM
While we're on freak injuries, don't forget Clint Barmes' memorable ACL tear a few years back -- suffered while lugging deer meat in his garage.

John Vanderwahl - Shoveling snow.
Glenallen Hill - pulled something after falling out of bed while having a nightmare about spiders.
Milton Bradley - season ending injury while arguing a call.
Joel Zumaya - Hurt playing Guitar Hero,

Highlifeman21
08-23-2009, 10:06 PM

Didn't Sosa tweak his back sneezing?

Highlifeman21
08-23-2009, 10:07 PM
And let's not forget Jeff Kent hurting himself "washing his truck"

redsmetz
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM

Both Brandon and Bronson need to be watching their backs. This has been such a snake bit year. Our jaws dropped today when we heard the news about Aaron.

Ron Madden
08-23-2009, 10:53 PM
This could be in the best intrest of Harang for 2010. He can rest for awhile then come back strong in the spring.

Heath
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Didn't that happen in the Naked Gun Movie #1 - you know, the one where Reggie Jackson is supposed to kill the queen? Didn't they have the one where they show a baseball player fielding a ball and getting maimed by a tiger? Dick Enberg looks shocked, while Mel Allen chuckles and exclaims "How about that?"

Heath
08-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Didn't that happen in the Naked Gun Movie #1 - you know, the one where Reggie Jackson is supposed to kill the queen? Didn't they have the one where they show a baseball player fielding a ball and getting maimed by a tiger? Dick Enberg looks shocked, while Mel Allen chuckles and exclaims "How about that?"

Good Call Heath, but Allen chuckles after the decapitation of the right fielder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPgKHMDxIQ

Big Klu
08-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Also, after Ricardo Montalban falls from the top of the stadium, he is run over by a steamroller and trampled by the USC Marching Band.

KoryMac5
08-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Both Brandon and Bronson need to be watching their backs. This has been such a snake bit year. Our jaws dropped today when we heard the news about Aaron.

It's almost like the Reds are actors in a Final Destination sequel. :eek:

WVRedsFan
08-24-2009, 03:32 AM
It seems like this happens every year. I used to go to games in August and September, but I quit long ago. Why? It always seemed no one I knew was playing. Griffey, Casey, everyone seemed to get hurt in August, long after the pennant race was over. If one word would describe the Reds over the last 20 years, it would be fragile. You have to wonder what in the world is wrong. But, then again, it's the Reds.

Chip R
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Fortunately, no one has been injured by wind blast yet.

nate
08-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Like Kremchek knows anything about wind blast.

RedEye
08-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I've long thought that there would be player casualties from "The Gap" at GABP. We should count ourselves lucky that it hasn't happened yet. :D

RedEye
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Like Kremchek knows anything about wind blast.

I'm sure if a player exhibited the tell-tale symptoms of wind blast, he'd first diagnose them with a sore lower back.

Ltlabner
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Breaking news: Fransisco Cordero injured in freak sail boating accident on Little Miami River.

klw
08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I think it was Jayson Stark's midseason review of freak injuries had Chris Dickerson getting hurt going through a rotating door in Pittsburgh, IIRC.

Spring~Fields
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
It seems like this happens every year. I used to go to games in August and September, but I quit long ago. Why? It always seemed no one I knew was playing. Griffey, Casey, everyone seemed to get hurt in August, long after the pennant race was over. If one word would describe the Reds over the last 20 years, it would be fragile. You have to wonder what in the world is wrong. But, then again, it's the Reds.

Every noticed how losing seems to attract the DL list increasingly?

ochre
08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I think I figured out why they felt the need to rush him back to Cincinnati:
http://suncircle.org/images/drk-mash.jpg
Flat tire.

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Harang’s ride on the wild side
By Hal McCoy | Friday, August 28, 2009, 04:48 PM

If any of you have driven I-70 between Pittsburgh and Columbus, you know how bleak it is. The scenery is truck stops, rest areas, a tree or two and exit ramps to nowhere.

It’s the first part of the route pitcher Aaron Harang and equipment manager Rick Stowe took last Saturday - Stowe at the wheel sweating cannon balls and Harang in the passenger seat holding his side.

“Every time Rick hit a bump, he’d ask, ‘You OK, you OK?’ ” said Harang, who was in the throes of appendicitis and the two were trying to make it from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati before his appendix burst or Stowe’s bladder burst.

Why not Pittsburgh? “The doctor there wanted to immediately slice and dice. They told me in Cincinnati it could be done by arthroscopy,” said Harang of the harrowing day.

It all started after Friday night’s game in Pittsburgh. At 11 p.m. Harang ordered a sandwich from room service, then went to bed. At 6:30 Saturday morning he woke up achy and bloated, with a sharp pain in his side.

“I took two Tums and tried to go back to sleep and it took me two hours,” said Harang. “I finally got up and checked the movie times, thinking I’d go watch a movie. But the sharp pains were still in my side by late morning.”

He called his wife, Jennifer, and she suggested he go see the team trainers to have it checked.

“I grabbed a couple of bagels at Bruegger’s and (trainer) Steve Baumann suggested a trip to the hospital,” Harang added. “That was about 5 o’clock Saturday. They diagnosed appendicitis and wanted to operate right away. I knew it was about a four-hour drive to Cincinnati and I wanted to go home.

“Rick Stowe said he would drive,” Harang said. “So off we went.”

Said Stowe, “I kept checking exits for Hospital signs. And I had to go to the bathroom but I wasn’t about to stop. Once we got to Columbus I knew it was only an hour to Cincinnati and if it got too bad we could go back to Columbus (for surgery or a bathroom break). They told me not to hit any bumps.”

No bumps? On Ohio interstates? You’d have to drive in the grass to miss bumps.

“We listened to the game on the way back,” Harang said. “We got to Good Samaritan Hospital at 11:05.”

Said Stowe, “Four hours from Pittsburgh, hospital to gurney.”

Harang said they IVed him up and 45 minutes later he was in the operating room.

“They asked me the difference between the Cincinnati Zoo and the San Diego Zoo and that’s the last thing I remember until I woke up,” he said.

Harang is walking gingerly around the clubhouse and was told he can’t do any twisting or bending for two weeks. Since twisting and bending is 85 percent (I made that figure up) of pitching, Harang won’t be doing any pitching the rest of this season.

“What are the chances?” Harang said. “I don’t get hurt on the field, I got something that is not even baseball-related. And you know the worst part? I asked the doctors what the appendix is for and they said, ‘Nothing.’”

Nothing but potential aggravation.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/08/28/harangs_ride_on_the_wild_side.html?cxtype=feedbot