PDA

View Full Version : Sean Casey for Dave Burba

15fan
08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
3/30/98 - Reds trade OD starter Dave Burba to Cleveland for Sean Casey.

Bowden said the trade would be the best the Reds have made since acquiring Joe Morgan from Houston.

11+ years later, what do you think?

If not the best trade in 30 years, name one that was better.

11larkin11
08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
And?

15fan
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
My bad. Hit the post button prematurely

BRM
08-24-2009, 03:57 PM

Bowden said the trade would be the best the Reds have made since acquiring Joe Morgan from Houston.

Jeff Stevens for Brandon Phillips quickly comes to mind.

westofyou
08-24-2009, 04:02 PM

Guillen for Harang was better, getting pitching for a career year in this era has more cache than getting a slow corner playing doubles hitter for a pitcher in this era.

15fan
08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Guillen for Harang was better, getting pitching for a career year in this era has more cache than getting a slow corner playing doubles hitter for a pitcher in this era.

Guillen for Harang was after the Casey trade. Need a trade that happened between Morgan and Casey to qualify for the prize. ;)

(Though I do agree w/ you completely on Harang-Guillen.)

bucksfan2
08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
WMP for Arroyo was better.

Edit. Didn't see the "between" factor.

Kurt Stillwell for Danny Jackson might have been better. Jackson was a integral part of the 90 team. Casey was an integral part of 0 playoff teams.

VR
08-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Dave Parker for Tim Birtsas worked pretty well....and the throw in (Rijo), turned out ok. :)

TheNext44
08-24-2009, 04:13 PM
NM VR beat me to it.

westofyou
08-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Fred Norman was a good deal:

June 12, 1973: Traded by the San Diego Padres to the Cincinnati Reds for Mike Johnson, Gene Locklear and cash.

Hal Morris

December 12, 1989: Traded by the New York Yankees with Rodney Imes (minors) to the Cincinnati Reds for Tim Leary and Van Snider.

BRM
08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Didn't see the "between" requirement either. Disregard my previous post.

I like VR's post as well.

nate
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
They're both a bit old but we probably could use a backup for Votto.

:cool:

Big Klu
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
How about sending RHP Pat Zachry, INF Doug Flynn, and OFs Steve Henderson and Dan Norman to the Mets for Tom Seaver?

camisadelgolf
08-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Burba eventually turned into Wladimir Balentien:
Dave Burba for Sean Casey
Sean Casey and cash for Dave Williams
Dave Williams and cash for Robert Manuel
Robert Manuel for Wladimir Balentien

Here are a few trades I remember from JimBo that may have been better:
Norm Charlton (pitched only 34.2 innings in the final year of his contract) for Kevin Mitchell (two years with an OPS well over 1.000)
Ross Powell & Marty Lister for Eddie Taubensee (he couldn't receive to save his life, but that can be forgiven with an .803 OPS from a catcher)
C.J. Nitkowski, David Tuttle & Mark Lewis for David Wells (for those three players, the Reds managed to get a quality starting pitcher?)
John Smiley (played only six more Major League games in his career) & Jeff Branson for Danny Graves & three prospects (whether you want to admit it or not, was one of the best Reds relievers of all-time)
Jeff Brantley (his career was pretty much over) for Dmitri Young (above-average hitter every year except for 2006)

Roy Tucker
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
The way the Reds got Burba was a good trade. Portugal was a useful arm as well.

July 21, 1995
• Acquired: RHPs Mark Portugal and Dave Burba and CF Darren Lewis from San Francisco.
• Traded: CF Deion Sanders, 1B Dave McCarty, LHP

And George Foster for Frank Duffy and Vern Geishert wasn't awful.

bucksfan2
08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Jeff Brantley (his career was pretty much over) for Dmitri Young (above-average hitter every year except for 2006)

IIRC Bowden traded a used up Brantley, with known arm issues without telling the Cards. It was the start of the downfall for Bowden, other GM's juts didn't trust him after that.

Chip R
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
My bad. Hit the post button prematurely

Premature postulation? ;)

George Anderson
08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
And George Foster for Frank Duffy and Vern Geishert wasn't awful.

That was in 71' before the Morgan trade.

HokieRed
08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Just got on. Roy's easily right. Best trade in that period was the Foster deal.

HokieRed
08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
That was in 71' before the Morgan trade.

My bad above. The Foster trade was before Morgan. Memory's getting hazy.

westofyou
08-24-2009, 04:58 PM
IIRC Bowden traded a used up Brantley, with known arm issues without telling the Cards. It was the start of the downfall for Bowden, other GM's juts didn't trust him after that.

That would the Reds current GM who made that call, IIRC that was teh last deal between the teams.

UKFlounder
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Didn't they trade Rafael Landestoy for a minor league pitcher named John Franco?

And Wayne Krenchicki (sp?) to Montreal for minor leagure Norm Charlton wasn't bad either.

(Charlton for Kevin Mitchell, IIRC, was another good trade)

Big Klu
08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Burba eventually turned into Wladimir Balentien:
Dave Burba for Sean Casey
Sean Casey and cash for Dave Williams
Dave Williams and cash for Robert Manuel
Robert Manuel for Wladimir Balentien

If you take it further back, Paul O'Neill eventually became Wladimir Balentien.

Paul O'Neill for Roberto Kelly
Roberto Kelly for Deion Sanders
Deion Sanders, Scott Service, John Roper, Ricky Pickett, and Dave McCarty for Dave Burba, Mark Portugal, and Darren Lewis

savafan
08-24-2009, 08:43 PM
It wasn't much ballyhooed, but the deal that I think was integral to the 1990 WS championship was Kal Daniels and Lenny Harris to LA for Mariano Duncan and Tim Leary with Leary being flipped along with Van Snider to the Yanks for Hal Morris and Rodney Imes.

UKFlounder
08-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but how about that Jeff Montgomery for Van Snider deal? I had forgotten about that.

We also traded John Wetteland away (wasn't that in the Dave Martinez deal) and a few years earlier sent Jeff Russell for Buddy Bell.

We also dealt Franco for Randy Myers.

Man - that was a nice group of closers that were part of this organization in those years, especially if you include Dibble & Charlton.

It wasn't much ballyhooed, but the deal that I think was integral to the 1990 WS championship was Kal Daniels and Lenny Harris to LA for Mariano Duncan and Tim Leary with Leary being flipped along with Van Snider to the Yanks for Hal Morris and Rodney Imes.

Heath
08-24-2009, 09:08 PM
How about Wayne Krenchicki for himself?

For one year, the Billy Hatcher - for - Whitey Richardson deal was off the charts.

Orenda
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
How bout Paul Konerko and Dennys Reyes for Jeff Shaw. Of course it would have been even better if they traded Casey for Mike Cameron.

cincrazy
08-24-2009, 11:09 PM
More importantly, is Dave Burba still available to pitch? We could use him.

RBA
08-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Dave Revering plus $1.75 mil for Vida Blue in 1978.

Ron Madden
08-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Alex Gonzales to the Boston Red Sox for a PTNL. ;)

camisadelgolf
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm probably showing my age here, but I had no idea what you were talking about until I looked it up. You learn something new everyday. :thumbup:

RANDY IN INDY
08-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Bowie Kuhn thought it was a good trade. A little too good, I guess. Never have understood how he did that and then went on to let so many other transactions happen elsewhere.

Mainspark
08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Kuhn had earlier blocked another Vida Blue deal, at the mid-season trade deadline in 1976, when Finley tried to sell him to the Yankees for $1.5 million.
(Also blocked then were Finley's sales, for $1 million each, of outfielder Joe Rudi and reliever Rollie Fingers to the Red Sox.)
Blue ended up going 18-10 with a 2.79 ERA in 1978 for the Giants (to whom he was dealt after Kuhn scuttled the Reds trade). Give those stats to the '78 Reds, who won 92 games that year but finished second to the Dodgers, and the Reds likely go into that post-season with Seaver and Blue at the top of their rotation. And Sparky Anderson doesn't get fired.
Kuhn always seemed to be looking out for the Dodgers, putting the then-powerful Cardinals in the N.L. Eastern Division, and the Reds in the West, when the N.L. split into two divisions before the '69 season, even though Cincinnati is 300 miles east of St. Louis. (It was a move, if made on behalf the Dodgers, that would largely backfire through 1976.)
I always suspected Kuhn scuttled the Blue-Revering trade for his pals in the L.A. front office. He also devised the scheme in the strike-shortened '81 season that kept the Reds, with the best overall record in baseball, out of the playoffs. The Dodgers, of course, advanced (despite a 27-26 record in that season's "second half") and went on to win the World Series.