PDA

View Full Version : Jonny Gomes 2009 / Jorge Cantu 2007

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I read Fays blog about a week ago that suggested the Reds might be open to dealing Gomes who makes $600,000 this year. My first thought was Jorge Cantu and how the Reds let him walk after the 07 season and the decent numbers he put up in 08. If the Reds want to go the cheap route next season I think Gomes would be a nice compliment much like what Cantu could of been in 08 for us. Anyone else feel the same?

Tom Servo
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I still miss Jorge.

And I am in favor of keeping Gomes.

nate
08-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't see the parallel. Cantu was a guy with no position to play and likely to get more in arbitration than the Marlins signed him for as a FA.

Gomes would make an OK guy to have around although I hope the Reds would sign players that makes him more pinch-hitter than starter.

BRM
08-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Jorge was a man without a position in Cincinnati. That's why he was let go. Gomes can be used as an extra outfielder and I wouldn't mind if the Reds hang on to him. Don't really want the guy as an everyday leftfielder though.

Will M
08-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Gomes, Rolen & Votto are the only Reds with an OPS+ of greater than 100.
Nuff said.

Brutus
08-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Thing is, Gomes' OPS+ of 136 is not even is his career best (139). So I don't feel like he's doing anything out of the ordinary.

Highlifeman21
08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Thing is, Gomes' OPS+ of 136 is not even is his career best (139). So I don't feel like he's doing anything out of the ordinary.

He's doing plenty out of the ordinary.

Gomes isn't an everyday player. He's a platoon player.

His OPS+ is with limited sample size.

Let's see what he can do playing 150+ games a year (on average) over a 6 year period.

jojo
08-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Cantu has been roughly an average player since leaving Cincy.

That's not anything to sneeze at but really, it's not worthy of "the one that got away" status either.

jojo
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Gomes is having a nice season at the plate but he is really a man without a glove.

nate
08-24-2009, 09:22 PM

So you're saying he's stealing from the Reds?

:cool:

Brutus
08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
He's doing plenty out of the ordinary.

Gomes isn't an everyday player. He's a platoon player.

His OPS+ is with limited sample size.

Let's see what he can do playing 150+ games a year (on average) over a 6 year period.

It might be a limited sample, but he has a 109 OPS+ in 1,680 PA's as a big leaguer. That's a good enough sample to show he can hit. Without regard to 2008, when he couldn't move his shoulder, he's probably a 115 type hitter for his career. Combine that with peak age and skill set, and assuming I have good defense elsewhere, I'll take his numbers as an everyday LF.

Highlifeman21
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM
It might be a limited sample, but he has a 109 OPS+ in 1,680 PA's as a big leaguer. That's a good enough sample to show he can hit. Without regard to 2008, when he couldn't move his shoulder, he's probably a 115 type hitter for his career. Combine that with peak age and skill set, and assuming I have good defense elsewhere, I'll take his numbers as an everyday LF.

Sure, assuming you're platooning him.

Brutus
08-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Sure, assuming you're platooning him.

Two-thirds of his lifetime numbers have come by way of RHP. Not sure he has to be relegated to a platoon. In fact, the absolute only peripheral that is not very good against right-handers is OBP, and that's only because his BA is low due to so many strikeouts. Merely cutting down the K's by a few percent, and there's no reason not to play him everyday.

mth123
08-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Two-thirds of his lifetime numbers have come by way of RHP. Not sure he has to be relegated to a platoon. In fact, the absolute only peripheral that is not very good against right-handers is OBP, and that's only because his BA is low due to so many strikeouts. Merely cutting down the K's by a few percent, and there's no reason not to play him everyday.

So, he'd be great as an everyday player if he didn't K so much against RH Pitching and could get on base more? If the team had the magic potion to make that happen, anybody could be great. Gomes lines for his career are .222/.310/.441/.751 against RHP and .278/.376/.526/.901 against lefties. Gomes career so far screams platoon player and he can be valuable if used that way. I'm not overly concerned with defense in LF like many here seem to be, but that is because its less likely to hurt you there than anywhere which makes it a good place to stick a bat. But, why in the world would a team want to deal with Gomes glove out there against RHP for the sake of getting a .310 OBP and a bunch of K's? Keep him and find a left handed hitting version of him to provide the team day in and day out pop in the 5th or 6th hole in the line-up.

This team has so many holes and so little resources to fill them, I'm content to go with cheap platoons in the OF. Let Wlad and Bruce platoon, Dickerson and Stubbs/Heisey, Gomes and ????. If this team had a LH version of Gomes to pair with him, and Wlad to spell Bruce to keep him fresher and out of his funk from his weaker side, the OF corners could produce sufficient power. Dickerson and a non-Taveras platoon partner could probably handle the defense in CF and get on base in front of Votto, Phillips, Rolen and the OF corner guys. I will say, that I'm warming up to Stubbs a bit. If the OF against LH pitching would have Gomes in LF and Wlad in RF, an uber-defender like Stubbs may be exactly what is needed in CF to make the defense work. Against RHP with Bruce in RF, its lss critical and Dickerson's OB skills and still good defense works really well. Personally, I think Eric Hinske would make a perfect platoon partner for Gomes. He would come at a reasonable cost, gets on base at an acceptable clip and has power from the left side. The Defense in LF would be poor, but that is way down on the list of things that this team should be worrying about (especially with Dickerson/Stubbs in CF and Bruce in RF most of the time).

I think they need to go cheap out there and hope the team can find a way to clear some room in its budget to allow spending on a SS and a Starting pitcher.

penantboundreds
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Cantu was a man without a position? Really? Hmm....We continued to run Edwin out there, and he certainly couldn't field....

redsfandan
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Dodgers Seek Run-Producing Pinch Hitter By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 28 at 3:14pm CST]

The Dodgers are looking to acquire a pinch hitter with power for the final month of the season, according to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick. The Dodgers have Mark Loretta and Juan Pierre off the bench, but neither player has much power, so they're looking outside the organization.

So far, Gurnick says the market for such bats appears thin. Jonny Gomes and Tony Clark could interest the Dodgers, but that's mere speculation on my part.