PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to see Fisher get a start

icehole3
08-27-2009, 04:45 AM
I heard Dusty say to Marty, "guys are coming up to him and asking for a start and Fisher was one of them. Yes. What do you guys think? His fastball is very good.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/bulldog888/weird%20gifs/star_trek_enterprise_-_data_yes.gif

Highlifeman21
08-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Hasn't started a game since 2007?

Sure, why not, right?

If Justin Lehr can get starts for the Reds, why not Carlos Fisher.

lollipopcurve
08-27-2009, 09:04 AM
I think it's quite possible he needs a 3rd pitch. But, he has had a few years of starting experience in the minors, and he has shown quite well as a reliever. The fastball and breaking ball are solid. If he can develop even a mediocre change or split finger, he might turn into something.

Still, have to remember that relieving got him to where he is.

flyer85
08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
My guess is that the Reds are likely to give Penny a shot.

VR
08-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd be more interested in Masset getting a shot at this point.

paulrichjr
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
My guess is that the Reds are likely to give Penny a shot.

Well we know how great Pole is at finding problems with pitchers, fixing the problem, and then the pitcher being lights out. :rolleyes:

HokieRed
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm more interested in seeing Masset and Fisher continue to develop as a shut down pair out of the pen.

Tom Servo
08-27-2009, 02:16 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/bulldog888/weird%20gifs/star_trek_enterprise_-_data_yes.gif
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/5/4/3/543fed52268ede434320709d0755ed0f.gif

Kc61
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm more interested in seeing Masset and Fisher continue to develop as a shut down pair out of the pen.

Right. Can't underestimate the importance of a solid bullpen. As soon as somebody does ok, fans want him out of the pen and into the rotation.

I underestimated Fisher. He could be an extremely valuable reliever for this team because he can work multiple innings effectively. Remember Scott Sullivan? A workhorse reliever who can pitch two and sometimes three innings can save your staff.

Massett is the best hope to replace Weathers as the steady eighth inning man.

Right now, I see next year's pen with Fisher, Herrera, Massett, Rhodes, Cordero. I think Burton is on the bubble and it's unclear he'll be back.
Reds will need to add one or two relievers to fill out the staff.

But Fisher and Massett should be major factors in next year's pen.

RED VAN HOT
08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd be more interested in Masset getting a shot at this point.

Am I correct in recalling from last year and this spring that Masset had, at best, an average, low 90's fastball. In the spring, he was the first contender for a starting job to be eliminated. Now, he seems to be throwing over 95. That makes him an intriguing possibility to start.

HokieRed
08-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Am I correct in recalling from last year and this spring that Masset had, at best, an average, low 90's fastball. In the spring, he was the first contender for a starting job to be eliminated. Now, he seems to be throwing over 95. That makes him an intriguing possibility to start.

The velocity may be influenced by his pitching short outings only.

Will M
08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
not me. for the 2010 pen Cordero, Masset, Herrera, Rhodes & Fisher is a nice top five. if it ain't broke don't fix it. Lincoln (if healthy), Owings, Viola, Maloney, maybe a cheap free agent vet can round out the pen.

for the rotation i want the Reds to sign one of the non type A free agents who can put up an ERA+ of 100 or better. say Doug Davis or someone similar. add this pitcher to Cueto/Harang/Arroyo/Bailey then spend the rest of the offseason adding offense.

HokieRed
08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
not me. for the 2010 pen Cordero, Masset, Herrera, Rhodes & Fisher is a nice top five. if it ain't broke don't fix it. Lincoln (if healthy), Owings, Viola, Maloney, maybe a cheap free agent vet can round out the pen.

for the rotation i want the Reds to sign one of the non type A free agents who can put up an ERA+ of 100 or better. say Doug Davis or someone similar. add this pitcher to Cueto/Harang/Arroyo/Bailey then spend the rest of the offseason adding offense.

Agree. Burton may be getting himself back into the picture, too, though it will be a tough call as to whether to pay him what he might get in arb. to be down near the end of the pen. At this point it's hard not to think that Owings will be one of the seven, too, if he's to make the staff.

mth123
08-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Amen.