PDA

View Full Version : An excerpt from the new book on the Big Red Machine

Reds Fanatic
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Sports Illustrated has an excerpt from the new book on the Big Red Machine that comes out in mid September.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/08/26/welcome.to.the.machine/index.html?eref=sihpT1

reds1869
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm really looking forward to this book. Having missed out on the era myself, I just can't read enough about the BRM.

Reds Fanatic
08-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Amazon has a good price on that book. They are selling it for $17.15 and it comes out on September 15th.

RedsBaron
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I have just finished reading Posnanski's article in this week's SI magazine. The magazine has one photograph not included in the online article, and it is one that I have never seen before. It shows Will McEnaney having already jumped into Johnny Bench's arms, celebrating the final out of the 1975 World Series, a split second before it had actually happened. In the same photo you can see Dave Concepcion with his back turned, running into leftcenterfield, you can see the blur of the flyball that Carl Yastremzski had hit, and you can see, barely visible in the darkness, Cesar Geronimo settling under the ball waiting to catch it. McEnaney and Bench knew it was over even before it was actually over.
I can hardly wait for the book to come out. Posnanski is a terrific writer and this should be a terrific book. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cumberlandreds
08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Sounds like a great book! I'll be getting that one as as soon as it comes out. Thanks for posting it!

cumberlandreds
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Amazon has a good price on that book. They are selling it for $17.15 and it comes out on September 15th.

I received my copy via Amazon yesterday. The price had been lowered to just over $14.

Cyclone792
09-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Ordered my copy Wednesday (and also ordered Josh Katowitz's new book Bearcats Rising), and it looks like it's scheduled to arrive today. Amazon must be slow recently, because it usually takes a week or longer to receive items when using their free super saver shipping option, but this time I'm literally going to get the items two days after placing the order.

Looks like I'll have some excellent reading material on my flights this weekend while I head up to Wisconsin to visit Lambeau Field.

chicoruiz
09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Every current Red should be issued a copy of this book.

westofyou
09-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Every current Red should be issued a copy of this book.

That's like giving a copy of Dali's prints to a 6th grade art class.

Inspiration is nice, but the game and the game's landscape has changed so much in 35 years that all you'd be doing is introducing them to names they probably never heard of.

Instead of that I'd prefer the Reds (and there fans) appreciate the greatest team of the past and move forward. It won't be replicated ever, so why even try?

OldXOhio
09-18-2009, 11:38 AM
That's like giving a copy of Dali's prints to a 6th grade art class.

Inspiration is nice, but the game and the game's landscape has changed so much in 35 years that all you'd be doing is introducing them to names they probably never heard of.

Instead of that I'd prefer the Reds (and there fans) appreciate the greatest team of the past and move forward. It won't be replicated ever, so why even try?

Nah, I disagree - I don't see what one has to do with the other? This isn't about the current state of the game or expectations of the current bunch. I want a copy for myself and my kids simply as a means of appreciating the heritage of the Cincinnati Reds. My kids are young, but absolutely know the names from the BRM. Folded in my son's drawer is a worn out Jay Bruce tee shirt. Next to it? An equally worn Johnny Bench.

westofyou
09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Nah, I disagree - I don't see what one has to do with the other? This isn't about the current state of the game or expectations of the current bunch. I want a copy for myself and my kids simply as a means of appreciating the heritage of the Cincinnati Reds. My kids are young, but absolutely know the names from the BRM. Folded in my son's drawer is a worn out Jay Bruce tee shirt. Next to it? An equally worn Johnny Bench.

Did Johnny Bench know who Frank McCormick was?

Pete Rose know who Edd Roush was?

Does it matter?

Most of these guys will play with other organizations, most of them have played with other organizations, this isn't college, tradition and all that matters 10 times more to the fanbase than the players. Expecting them to embrace the Reds glorious past which is getting smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror is expecting too much.

So yes maybe to your son it is something, and any other Reds fan, but to the current Reds probably not that much.

Roy Tucker
09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
A few current players might get something out of it. But youth is wasted on the young and wisdom passes in one ear and out the other, i.e. blah blah blah Ginger blah blah. If a few stray molecules stick, you're ahead of the game. Some things are still relevant, but discerning that takes careful consideration.

I'm going to order my copy tonight. It will go on my Reds bookshelf.

OldXOhio
09-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Did Johnny Bench know who Frank McCormick was?

Pete Rose know who Edd Roush was?

Does it matter?

Most of these guys will play with other organizations, most of them have played with other organizations, this isn't college, tradition and all that matters 10 times more to the fanbase than the players. Expecting them to embrace the Reds glorious past which is getting smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror is expecting too much.

So yes maybe to your son it is something, and any other Reds fan, but to the current Reds probably not that much.

I've reread Chico's post and I now see where you're coming from. I read the post in question to mean every Red, player and fan alike. If the reference is towards the players alone, then I agree....different era, different type of player.

westofyou
09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I've reread Chico's post and I now see where you're coming from. I read the post in question to mean every Red, player and fan alike. If the reference is towards the players alone, then I agree....different era, different type of player.

Put them on the field then we'd get a different reaction from the players. Throw them in front a kid in Bermuda shorts and a tennis visor and watch em swoon, different audience, different reaction.

Chip R
09-18-2009, 12:29 PM

It's not like they don't have plenty of reminders already.