PDA

View Full Version : Griffey bashing Cinn. a little?

Captain Hook
08-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I didn't take anything he said regarding the Reds and his time in the city of Cincinnati as being positive.I usually don't read into things all that much but I'd say he was bashing the Reds and the city.

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/griffey-moves-past-hometown-00214/

GIDP
08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Yea they were talking about it in the other thread and I have to agree I dont really appreciate that interview that much. He comes off as a big baby and C. Trent comes off as a jock sniffer or something along those lines. I really cant stand C. Trent. I have exchanged some emails with him and he is a certainly stuck up just from my experience with him.

I get tired of C. Trents constant bashing of Cincinnati fans and general non stop loving of everything of Dunn and Griffey. Those 2 do no wrong in his eyes. I think hes a bit star struck and I find it embarrassing for him.

gilpdawg
08-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I have no problem with it. He didn't say anything that isn't true.

Captain Hook
08-27-2009, 11:36 PM
He didn't say anything that isn't true.

I agree but he acts as if the fans should just shut up and deal with 8 straight loosing seasons with Griffey and Dunn as the team leaders.He basically says it wasn't his fault at all but fails to mention that he never lived up to the numbers he put up in Seattle.

I'm still a big Griffey fan but the guy has always taken things too personally and lashes out whenever he receives any kind of criticism.He is still obviously bitter about things that have been said about him while in Cincinnati.So much so that he even enjoys pointing out the Reds failures this year and almost sounds as if he is rooting against them.

Boston Red
08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
They stunk with Griffey, they stink without Griffey. He doesn't miss Cincy, and I don't particularly miss him either. So everyone's fine.

GIDP
08-28-2009, 12:42 AM

He said a lot of things that I felt were pushed by CTR but I certainly get the feeling Griffey is way too sensitive. That interview reminded me of how people felt after Griffey trashed Seattle when he wanted to be traded. He comes off as a little bit salty and insecure almost.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I live in Louisville, so hey, no beef with me. :D

Griffey012
08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I agree but he acts as if the fans should just shut up and deal with 8 straight loosing seasons with Griffey and Dunn as the team leaders.He basically says it wasn't his fault at all but fails to mention that he never lived up to the numbers he put up in Seattle.

I'm still a big Griffey fan but the guy has always taken things too personally and lashes out whenever he receives any kind of criticism.He is still obviously bitter about things that have been said about him while in Cincinnati.So much so that he even enjoys pointing out the Reds failures this year and almost sounds as if he is rooting against them.

He isn't the most media savvy guy by any means, thats for sure. It would have been nice to see him take the Dunn route and only say good things, but then again Dunn wasn't being interviewed by C.Trent, and probably wasn't being honest.

It all still comes down to terrible baseball ineptitude from up top, this season and a many previous ones have not been the fault of the players and the managers. Basically the teams have finished where they should have or a little above where they should have...yet our players and our managers take the brunt of the hit while management convinces us that we are one player away, only for the next season our main guys who are performing get the brunt of the criticism again, simply for being stuck on an undermanned team.

GBC Red
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Honestly, I love Griffey, but he is sensitive. That being said, if I was Ken Griffey Jr. I would absolutely hate Cincinnati.

mroby85
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I can't disagree with anything he said in the interview, but he also can't expect fans to be happy about how long this team has been losing. The main thing I agree with is how he deferred money to try to help bring players in, and they did nothing in an attempt to put anything around him. His time here was a disappointment, there is no doubt about that, but I don't disagree with anything he said.

Also, how is being upset with a team that didn't finish over .500 for that many years the same as expecting the big red machine?

markymark69
08-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Agreed.

Jack Burton
08-28-2009, 06:02 PM
The "kid" nickname still holds true.

BlastFurnace
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Honestly, I love Griffey, but he is sensitive. That being said, if I was Ken Griffey Jr. I would absolutely hate Cincinnati.

I agree with you. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does.

kfm
08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
He was truthful and honest and people who don't like him will just keep criticizing him. I have no problem with what he said. It's funny how people want athletes to be less robotic and more like people and then the moment they give an honest answer people jump all over them. What he had to say was truthful and responsive to the questions asked, but if you hate griffey and blame he and Dunn and Larkin for the losing I see how you could get your little feelings hurt.

Jack Burton
08-28-2009, 11:09 PM
C'mon guys, Cincy fans should have been happy to have sub .500 squads, good times. Griffey was all fire and hustle, he played the game the right way, who cares if he watched those near homeruns hit off the wall, he almost made it to second on all of those. Another thing, it wasn't his fault his swing slowed down. We all know he throws a mean cutthroat gesture and Cowboy should be happy that it was directed at him. Griffey, you can do no wrong, isn't that the way you see it?

BurgervilleBuck
08-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I really don't know how I feel about this interview. Part of me still likes Griffey but after reading this it makes me want to thrash him. Nor am I really enthralled with C. Trent's leading questions.

*sigh*

I hate impotent rage. Maybe I should storm the front office and pillage.

GIDP
08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I really don't know how I feel about this interview. Part of me still likes Griffey but after reading this it makes me want to thrash him. Nor am I really enthralled with C. Trent's leading questions.

*sigh*

I hate impotent rage. Maybe I should storm the front office and pillage.

I feel C. Trent certainly is the biggest problem in the interview but Griffey has always been this way when it came to focusing on negatives and being a bit of a baby. Its a shame he tries to play the victim so hard.

BurgervilleBuck
08-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I feel C. Trent certainly is the biggest problem in the interview but Griffey has always been this way when it came to focusing on negatives and being a bit of a baby. Its a shame he tries to play the victim so hard.
I'm sure to cry very hard for the millionaire. The Kid? After reading that article, he's more like The Brat.

It's all frustrating though because he's gone and the Reds are still a sub .500 team.

kfm
08-29-2009, 08:43 AM
C'mon guys, Cincy fans should have been happy to have sub .500 squads, good times. Griffey was all fire and hustle, he played the game the right way, who cares if he watched those near homeruns hit off the wall, he almost made it to second on all of those. Another thing, it wasn't his fault his swing slowed down. We all know he throws a mean cutthroat gesture and Cowboy should be happy that it was directed at him. Griffey, you can do no wrong, isn't that the way you see it?

Lets try to consider what is actually said, instead of talking in absolutes and making up ridiculous statements that no one has come even close to uttering. I know that makes it easier than addressing what was actually said or what actually happened but it really does not add to a substantive discussion. THere seems to be a tradition among some Reds fans of disliking the highest paid player on the team and blaming him for the failures of an entire franchise. Insert the name and I have heard fans blame Davis, Parker, Sanders, Larkin, Griffey, Dunn for all the failures of this franchise. Its amazing how all those guys are gone, but the losing still continues. How any person with half a brain cannnot understand the futility of this franchise has nothing to do with the guys I just mentioned and everything to do with the fact that they have had some of the most embarrasing pitching staffs over the course of the last 15 years is amazing. But let's not let facts get in the way of a Griffey bashing session.

GIDP
08-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I think 99% of baseball fans are going to get annoyed by highly paid injury plagued players or players who dont give it their all on a nightly basis.

Pick a team in baseball and give me a name of a player that made as much money and hte injury problems as a Larkin or Griffey that didnt get negative things said about them. Its a fact of life. If you make a lot of money you are going to end up dealing with the scrutiny.

kfm
08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I think 99% of baseball fans are going to get annoyed by highly paid injury plagued players or players who dont give it their all on a nightly basis.

Pick a team in baseball and give me a name of a player that made as much money and hte injury problems as a Larkin or Griffey that didnt get negative things said about them. Its a fact of life. If you make a lot of money you are going to end up dealing with the scrutiny.

I don't have a problem with that and that is a reality. That is not the issue that is addressed in the article, the actual issue that is addressed in the article and that we all know is really going on is why some fans need to blame one person for the failures of this franchise. THat is what I am talking about and that is what that article is talking about. Not every fan base seems to have this irrational desire to blame one person despite the facts. I feel for Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips because I think they are next on the list of people that many Reds fans will love to hate. Let's not forget that Paul O'neil said it was easier to play in New York than it was to play in Cincinnati.

Captain Hook
08-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Let's not forget that Paul O'neil said it was easier to play in New York than it was to play in Cincinnati.

Let O'Neil play one season in NY where the team doesn't make the playoffs and finishes below .500 then ask him that question again.

kfm
08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Let O'Neil play one season in NY where the team doesn't make the playoffs and finishes below .500 then ask him that question again.

O'neil did play in NY when they did not make the playoffs, but as I am sure you are aware that is not the Yankee standard, they don't live to just make the playoffs. As far as his time in Cincinnati he played fulltime on the Reds starting in 87 and left after the 92 season. He played on winning teams 4 of his six seasons in Cincinnati and he of course was a starter on World Series team. So it is not like he was playing on bad teams in Cincinnati and he still felt that way. If he felt that way back then, what do you think he would think of Cincinnati fans now?

Captain Hook
08-30-2009, 02:21 AM
O'neil did play in NY when they did not make the playoffs, but as I am sure you are aware that is not the Yankee standard, they don't live to just make the playoffs. As far as his time in Cincinnati he played fulltime on the Reds starting in 87 and left after the 92 season. He played on winning teams 4 of his six seasons in Cincinnati and he of course was a starter on World Series team. So it is not like he was playing on bad teams in Cincinnati and he still felt that way. If he felt that way back then, what do you think he would think of Cincinnati fans now?

For the record the only season he played for NY and didn't make the PO was in 93 when they finished in 2nd 10 games over .500 and 94 when they won their division but like the Reds did not get a post season because of the strike.The only time O'neil played in the postseason for the Reds in his 6 years with the team was in 90.Besides Paul was probably much harder on himself then the media ever could have been considering how much he hated to loose.

Griffey and Paul O'neil are about complete opposites.I could never imagine O'neil playing jokes and having fun on a team that lost 90 games.

kfm
08-30-2009, 08:43 AM
For the record the only season he played for NY and didn't make the PO was in 93 when they finished in 2nd 10 games over .500 and 94 when they won their division but like the Reds did not get a post season because of the strike.The only time O'neil played in the postseason for the Reds in his 6 years with the team was in 90.Besides Paul was probably much harder on himself then the media ever could have been considering how much he hated to loose.

Griffey and Paul O'neil are about complete opposites.I could never imagine O'neil playing jokes and having fun on a team that lost 90 games.

You are right, they are different players. One was fortunate enough to spend his career with the best organization in baseball and win World Series on complete teams where fans actually like their players (except Arod) the other was stuck in loserville where he was maligned and blamed for losing and criticized for important things like playing jokes with teamates, and getting hurt while diving for baseballs. One more difference, one is a first ballot hall of famer who took less money to come to this team, was lied to by his general manager and offered to defer more money so this team could sign better players so fans like you would have a good team to cheer for.

will5979
08-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't know about you guys but I get so sick and tired and 2 things about this interview...

1. Griffey's constant whining, give the man some cheese. Griffey has never been mature and respectful in an interview. This guy has to be the most ignorant media baseball interviewee of all time, probably worse than Roger Maris (and I like Maris FWIW).

2. Griffey little snippy Big Red Machine comment. IMO that is what the organization should strive to achieve, fielding another BRM. I know if I were the owner of this franchise I would never be satisfied until the Reds won not one, not two, but three World Championships in a row. It is my obsession that I see a Reds team one up the BRM one of these days. The Yankees are always trying to outdo themselves, so the Reds should look at the BRM and say to themselves how can we move farther? You have to challenge yourself. You don't just achieve a goal and say whew who I'm done! This franchise desperately needs more World Series titles.

Jack Burton
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
You are right, they are different players. One was fortunate enough to spend his career with the best organization in baseball and win World Series on complete teams where fans actually like their players (except Arod) the other was stuck in loserville where he was maligned and blamed for losing and criticized for important things like playing jokes with teamates, and getting hurt while diving for baseballs. One more difference, one is a first ballot hall of famer who took less money to come to this team, was lied to by his general manager and offered to defer more money so this team could sign better players so fans like you would have a good team to cheer for.
Are you a Reds fan?

Captain Hook
08-30-2009, 04:58 PM

You'd make a good Yankee fan.

I admit that I get down on our guys/managers/front office but it's not because I enjoy it or that I'm a miserable person that can never find anything good say.It's because we stink and have stunk for a long time.Griffey was a part of that while he was here and I never once remember him being an outspoken leader or being angry about all the loosing.I don't recall him calling out the front office.He did show up everyday when healthy and did a decent enough job and for that I feel like he was shown more then enough appreciation.I think his frustration about his time with the Reds has more to do with his own lack of production and not living up to a standard of excellent performances every season that he set while with the M's.He likes to talk about how people were hard on him but that's what happens when you don't live up to expectations.I for one don't think anyone was that hard on him.He just makes it out to have been that way.

Your right Griffey is a HOF'er and I'm a big fan.I just think that it's pretty easy to see that he's a baby sometimes.

Ghosts of 1990
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Typical Rosecrans.... sticking it to our team to kiss Griffey's tush. Rosecrans is not a talented writer. I am baffled that he keeps getting jobs. But I am not baffled that he can't keep them.

Carin4Narron
08-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Come on people what Griff said about Reds teams comparing every Reds team to the Big Red Machine is true. There's no denying it!

will5979
08-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Come on people what Griff said about Reds teams comparing every Reds team to the Big Red Machine is true. There's no denying it!

Well buddy I hate to break it to you but the Machine played the game the way is supposed to be played. They are a great standard to look up to. I don't buy it that there will never be another Machine in Cincy, there can be, the owners just need to make it happen.

Yeah but he is looking for a crutch to lean on because of his failures in Cincy. If I were the interviwer I would love to look at Griffey and quote Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Mcgwire when he looked at Tom Cruise and said "Well boo ****** hoo!

GIDP
08-31-2009, 11:04 AM
What I find funny about fans response to this is that they love Griffey for trashing the fans but then in a thread about Phillips they will relentlessly trash him.

Carin4Narron
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Well buddy I hate to break it to you but the Machine played the game the way is supposed to be played. They are a great standard to look up to. I don't buy it that there will never be another Machine in Cincy, there can be, the owners just need to make it happen. Well Buddy, I was a die hard B.R.M. fan and Pete was my favorite player. BUT we need to get over it. That was then and this is NOW, my friend!

GIDP
08-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Well Buddy, I was a die hard B.R.M. fan and Pete was my favorite player. BUT we need to get over it. That was then and this is NOW, my friend!

We should get over it and expect sub .500 baseball and constant injuries to our best player. Heck we should even expect that player to then bash the fans for being hard on him when he missed something like 40% of the games for the years he was here. How dare the fans! The fans should just give nothing but love especially to a class act mature person like Ken Griffey Jr.

Fon Duc Tow
08-31-2009, 12:28 PM
We should get over it and expect sub .500 baseball and constant injuries to our best player. Heck we should even expect that player to then bash the fans for being hard on him when he missed something like 40% of the games for the years he was here. How dare the fans! The fans should just give nothing but love especially to a class act mature person like Ken Griffey Jr.

No but without a salary cap and with a team that spends right around the middle of the pack every year, we should expect to finish around the middle of the pack every year.

Under the present baseball economics, the BRM would have been divided and shipped away in 1973.

will5979
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Well Buddy, I was a die hard B.R.M. fan and Pete was my favorite player. BUT we need to get over it. That was then and this is NOW, my friend!

Today's Reds or the B.R.M.

I'll take their glory anyday. I want what you are smoking man, that is some good s***!

BurgervilleBuck
08-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Rosecrans is not a talented writer. I am baffled that he keeps getting jobs.
But not baffled as to why he keeps losing them? Okay, that's not fair. He's been twice the victim of corporate bean counting shenanigans.

Normally, I like his stuff but this interview really rankled me. The leading questions, the arrogance in his attitude towards fans that have had to put with all of the Smithermens, Hummels, etc., and so forth.

kfm
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
You'd make a good Yankee fan.

I admit that I get down on our guys/managers/front office but it's not because I enjoy it or that I'm a miserable person that can never find anything good say.It's because we stink and have stunk for a long time.Griffey was a part of that while he was here and I never once remember him being an outspoken leader or being angry about all the loosing.I don't recall him calling out the front office.He did show up everyday when healthy and did a decent enough job and for that I feel like he was shown more then enough appreciation.I think his frustration about his time with the Reds has more to do with his own lack of production and not living up to a standard of excellent performances every season that he set while with the M's.He likes to talk about how people were hard on him but that's what happens when you don't live up to expectations.I for one don't think anyone was that hard on him.He just makes it out to have been that way.

Your right Griffey is a HOF'er and I'm a big fan.I just think that it's pretty easy to see that he's a baby sometimes.

Hey Captain, that Yankee fan comment hurt. Just kidding, but you have to admit they are the most successful baseball franchise and maybe the most successful franchise in all of american sports. I do have to question how you know what Griffey was disappointed in? In interviews I have heard with him he has talked about getting what his father has and how he would trade al ot of things just to win one world series. As far as his temperment people are who they are. Making millions of dollars will not change who a person is and Griffey is not the yell and get in the face of people leader that some people want him to be. I prefer with a player as great as Griffey to enjoy what he is and not put him down for what he is not. I would've loved for Griffey or Dunn to be a rah rah in your face guy, but they are not wired that way and they are not willing to fake it because players see right through that. Paul O'neil was born that way and I thought it was great, although the Yankees were often concerned that he was far to hard on himself. If you look around baseball, those type of superstar players who will yell and scream and get in a guys face are few and far and in between.

Captain Hook
08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey Captain, that Yankee fan comment hurt. Just kidding, but you have to admit they are the most successful baseball franchise and maybe the most successful franchise in all of american sports. I do have to question how you know what Griffey was disappointed in? In interviews I have heard with him he has talked about getting what his father has and how he would trade al ot of things just to win one world series. As far as his temperment people are who they are. Making millions of dollars will not change who a person is and Griffey is not the yell and get in the face of people leader that some people want him to be. I prefer with a player as great as Griffey to enjoy what he is and not put him down for what he is not. I would've loved for Griffey or Dunn to be a rah rah in your face guy, but they are not wired that way and they are not willing to fake it because players see right through that. Paul O'neil was born that way and I thought it was great, although the Yankees were often concerned that he was far to hard on himself. If you look around baseball, those type of superstar players who will yell and scream and get in a guys face are few and far and in between.

I agree with everything you say about Griffey.Like I said, I'm a big fan and always will be.I know it was unrealistic to expect him to have turned things around for the Reds all on his own.All I'm saying is that it would have helped if he preformed like he did in Seattle.There are certainly plenty of valid excuses for why he didn't but it doesn't change the fact that the Reds were bad and Griffey underperformed the entire time he was here.He failed to live up to expectations and he has to know that.

I wasn't claiming that I know what Griffey was really disappointed about the most as far as his time in Cincinnati goes but was only giving my opinion that it was his own lack of performance.It takes a big man to say I didn't get the job done.Because I'm a fan I won't say what kind of man doesn't get the job done then cries about the front office/media/and most of all the fans.