PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Sign First-Round Pick Andre Smith

KoryMac5
08-30-2009, 11:53 AM
From Bengals.com:

Chad Ochocinco may have a future in the media.

He tweated Saturday night that the Bengals had reached a deal with No. 1 pick Andre Smith and it was picked up by the folks that never sleep at ProFootballTalk.com

And it looks like it may very well happen.

Although a deal isn't done, a league source said that agent Alvin Keels met with the team in another face-to-face meeting Saturday and are close enough to meet again Sunday morning. The hope is with the Bengals practicing at 3 p.m. Sunday that Smith will be on the field to end the holdout at 30 days.

On his own Twitter account Saturday night, Keels said there was no deal but the sides were working hard.

They are apparently close to a deal with a different structure that is going to be a compromise. Smith, at No. 6, sought a deal bigger than No. 7. The Bengals wanted a deal more in line with the rest of the first round. Indications are the structure would give Smith a bigger deal than what Jacksonville tackle Eugene Monroe signed at No. 8. That's a five-year deal that is somewhere between $28 and 32 million.

Couldn't see the big guy going back into the draft and risking the chance at losing millions. I guess over the next two episodes of Hard Knocks we will see how far behind and how big his behind is.

Highlifeman21
08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Can't wait to see this franchise OT on the field...

CTA513
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Looks like hes in town now:

http://twitpic.com/fupw4

GIDP
08-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Trey Wingo getting butt hurt over Chads Twitter made me laugh

KoryMac5
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Trey Wingo getting butt hurt over Chads Twitter made me laugh

Wingo is a tool that brings no insight to ESPN at all, Child Please!

CTA513
08-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Update: Smith in fold

GEOFF HOBSON
Posted Aug 30, 2009
Updated: 2:35 p.m.

The Bengals have signed first-round pick Andre Smith in a deal that could be as much as $42 million and the Alabama right tackle is expected to be on the field in Sunday's 3 p.m. practice at Paul Brown Stadium.

Smith, the sixth pick in the draft, is the next-to-last draft choice to sign in the NFL, ending a 30-day standoff that began at the Bengals' first practice on July 31 at Georgetown College. The club didn't release terms.

An industry source said that Alvin Keels, Smith's agent, came back to Cincinnati Saturday a week after his initial visit and finalized the deal with Bengals negotiators Katie and Troy Blackburn. It's believed to be a complex contract hinged on play time and options that gives Smith, the sixth pick, more money than Jacksonville tackle Eugene Monroe at No. 8 over five years at about $30 million.

The holdout grew out of the Raiders' deal at No. 7. The Bengals felt that was out whack with the rest of the first-round signings while Keels wanted the club to be true to the slotting system and wanted more than that seventh pick. The Bengals wanted something closer to Monroe and the deal for last year's sixth pick.

Smith started at right tackle during all of the spring workouts, a spot that has been taken by second-year player Anthony Collins. Collins has looked good protecting the passer and is trying to make his run play just as effective. Off a season he was named the nation's bets lineman, the 6-4, 335-pound Smith is known as a superior run blocker that is trying to make his protection skills just as effective.

What is unclear is how this affects the Bengals' final roster. Smith needs time to get acclimated and with just one preseason game and 15 days left before Opening Day, the Bengals may have to use a two-week roster exemption on Smith.

That means he can practice but not play in a game, including Thursday night's preseason finale against the Colts and the Sept. 13 opener against Denver, both at Paul Brown Stadium. If he does play in a game, they immediately lose the exemption so it would be hard to see activating him before the second game of the season Sept. 20 in Green Bay.

Highlifeman21
08-30-2009, 03:16 PM
What are the odds we'll see Vick playing in a regular season game before we see Smith playing in a regular season game?

Chip R
08-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Smith's stomach must have been rumbling. He probably signed so he could get money to buy some food.

Highlifeman21
08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Smith's stomach must have been rumbling. He probably signed so he could get money to buy some food.

Need a lot of money to feed that belly.

KoryMac5
08-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Guess Smith's weight: I gotta believe Smith comes in at 355lbs.

Highlifeman21
08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Guess Smith's weight: I gotta believe Smith comes in at 355lbs.

Definitely above 350.

GIDP
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Mike Brown wins again

KoryMac5
08-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Mike Brown wins again

Probably depends on how long Smith plays as the contract is very complex and loaded with incentives.

GIDP
08-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Probably depends on how long Smith plays as the contract is very complex and loaded with incentives.

If Smith is good then I dont see how the Bengals lose either way.

SunDeck
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Definitely above 350.

The man is a boulder.

RedEye
08-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm glad he signed, but I wish the sides could have agreed earlier. After missing most of camp, Smith is going to be hard pressed to help the Bengals protect Carson this year. While the D seems improved enough so far, I think this team goes as its O-Line goes. Right now, it doesn't look like they'll be going very far.

GIDP
08-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Is being an O line man really that hard? If hes top OT in the draft type talent I cant really see him struggling that much. I mean I would think he would mostly be learning the plays more than anything right now. Everything else should be strictly physical. Its not like he needs to learn all these super hard plays. Then again I never played the position so maybe I'm completely off base. I've just always heard linemen are the safest picks in the draft.

Hoosier Red
08-30-2009, 11:49 PM
I agree Redeye, Keels certainly didn't cover himself in glory on this one. He holds out his client and restricts his ability to learn and prove himself, than gets Smith to sign a deal which will basically require him to prove a great deal.

If that was going to the best offer, they should have signed in on the 1st day of training camp.

redsfandan
08-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Is being an O line man really that hard? If hes top OT in the draft type talent I cant really see him struggling that much. I mean I would think he would mostly be learning the plays more than anything right now. Everything else should be strictly physical. Its not like he needs to learn all these super hard plays. Then again I never played the position so maybe I'm completely off base. I've just always heard linemen are the safest picks in the draft.
Even lineman need time to get in shape, get up to speed (as far as the playbook), get used to the NFL where everyone is much better, and get used to how the other offensive linemen react and their responsibilities so the line can be one cohesive unit instead of a bunch of people that aren't on the same page. The offensive line isn't as easy as it looks and with all the time he's missed and the shape he's in I doubt he'll be able to help until October.

GIDP
08-31-2009, 02:46 AM
Even lineman need time to get in shape, get up to speed (as far as the playbook), get used to the NFL where everyone is much better, and get used to how the other offensive linemen react and their responsibilities so the line can be one cohesive unit instead of a bunch of people that aren't on the same page. The offensive line isn't as easy as it looks and with all the time he's missed and the shape he's in I doubt he'll be able to help until October.

I dont really disagree with you but I doubt the guy is out for that long unless he sucks. Its not like we are talking about some super complex position. I bet he catches on quickly. Its not like he isnt skilled enough to play there from day one anyways.

redsfandan
08-31-2009, 03:11 AM
If he hadn't missed so much time he could've been available to help out on day 1 possibly as a starter. But he did miss that much time so he'll probably will be unavailable to help for that long especially since he's not even in shape anyway. And saying that it's not like we're talking about some complex position makes it sound like you think it's a simple position. Is he a qb? No. But he's not a kicker either.

GIDP
08-31-2009, 03:20 AM
If he hadn't missed so much time he could've been available to help out on day 1 possibly as a starter. But he did miss that much time so he'll probably will be unavailable to help for that long especially since he's not even in shape anyway. And saying that it's not like we're talking about some complex position makes it sound like you think it's a simple position. Is he a qb? No. But he's not a kicker either.

I think hes got the physical skill to be there its just a matter of getting in game speed. He going to be behind obviously but I think we just disagree on the amount of time he will take to adjust.

I dont mean to say the position is easy I just do believe its not that complex and once he gets into game speed I dont see him being that behind. I think hes getting regular playing time by week 3.

I'm repeating myself because its 3:20 in the morning and fallin asleep on my keyboard. Im out of here.

schmidty622
08-31-2009, 06:58 AM

You're pretty far off base. He basically has to learn the whole playbook. know his assignments, know the centers calls, know the quarterbacks calls, and in time know the assignments of the linemen next to him. All of those things are difficult enough by themselves, but try remembering them when you just gave up a sack to Freeney and it's 2nd and 15 on you're own 10 yard line. The offensive line is probably the most complex position outside of quarterback.

He helped himself by going to the OTAs earlier in the year, but he hasn't played with another pro linemen in months and hasn't faced any real adversity, which is what the preseason is designed for.

The mental side is going to be difficult and he's going to take a while to get in physical shape as well. He'll be hard-pressed to contribute before week 4.

reds1869
08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
You're pretty far off base. He basically has to learn the whole playbook. know his assignments, know the centers calls, know the quarterbacks calls, and in time know the assignments of the linemen next to him. All of those things are difficult enough by themselves, but try remembering them when you just gave up a sack to Freeney and it's 2nd and 15 on you're own 10 yard line. The offensive line is probably the most complex position outside of quarterback.

He helped himself by going to the OTAs earlier in the year, but he hasn't played with another pro linemen in months and hasn't faced any real adversity, which is what the preseason is designed for.

The mental side is going to be difficult and he's going to take a while to get in physical shape as well. He'll be hard-pressed to contribute before week 4.

I lived with some linemen in college--including one who played several years in the NFL. They were by far the smartest all around unit on the team other than the QBs.

UKFlounder
08-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Also remember he played left tackle in college and will be a right tackle in the pros, so it does take some time to line up differently (i.e. different hand on the ground). It may not sound like much, but if you've done one thing for years, some habits can be hard to change, especially while learning the playbook and a new system, all against better competition.

bucksfan2
08-31-2009, 09:05 AM

He should know the playbook, the center calls, the QB calls, etc. He should have had the playbook and he should have been studying it. I think that will be the easier part for him to assimilate to.

The difficult part is getting into game shape and getting used to game speed. I would imagine he will get special attention for Alexander for the rest of training camp, and also would imagine that both Smith and Alexander are going to be putting in long hours at PBS. The problem Smith will face is that most of the 1st team reps are going to go to the player who is starting the game. Therefor Smith has less than a week to get as many reps as possible. I had thought that if Smith had gotten in right around the 2nd preseason game he would end up starting the season. He is about a 2 weeks past that so I don't know how long the delay will be. I see him as the starter by week 4.

schmidty622
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
He should know the playbook, the center calls, the QB calls, etc. He should have had the playbook and he should have been studying it. I think that will be the easier part for him to assimilate to.

The difficult part is getting into game shape and getting used to game speed. I would imagine he will get special attention for Alexander for the rest of training camp, and also would imagine that both Smith and Alexander are going to be putting in long hours at PBS. The problem Smith will face is that most of the 1st team reps are going to go to the player who is starting the game. Therefor Smith has less than a week to get as many reps as possible. I had thought that if Smith had gotten in right around the 2nd preseason game he would end up starting the season. He is about a 2 weeks past that so I don't know how long the delay will be. I see him as the starter by week 4.

It's one thing to hear those calls on a daily basis in OTAs. It's another to have the repetitions that camp provides to completely drill those into his head. It's also completely different to hear those calls and remember them in a game situation.

Who knows how much studying he has been doing. I know I wasn't all that impressed with the "workout" they showed on Hard Knocks, but that was only a snippet.

GIDP
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I guess if you say a position is easier than others it obviously means its so easy that a caveman can do it.

redsfandan
08-31-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think anything was meant to bash you GIDP. Just that Smith has alot of catching up to do. I think the Benguls could use a two week exemption for him where he doesn't count towards the roster. I wouldn't be surprised if they used it.

Scrap Irony
08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Am I being cynical or does anyone else think Smith held out long enough not to deal with most of the two-a-days and physical training?

And he's no less than 375, IMO.

KoryMac5
08-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Am I being cynical or does anyone else think Smith held out long enough not to deal with most of the two-a-days and physical training?

And he's no less than 375, IMO.

I can see a veteran doing that (Favre) but not a rookie trying to win a starting job. Smith got bad advice from his agent and took his word on things. Always amazes me that many of these guys go to school for 4 years and have degrees yet they aren't involved at all in negotiations that determine the course of their futures.

bucksfan2
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I can see a veteran doing that (Favre) but not a rookie trying to win a starting job. Smith got bad advice from his agent and took his word on things. Always amazes me that many of these guys go to school for 4 years and have degrees yet they aren't involved at all in negotiations that determine the course of their futures.

This is kind of a stereotype, but the vast majority of players aren't in school to get a degree. There are a handful of players who take the schooling serious make the correct decisions. I also think that some players graduate a year early, and some quit school after their last football game to train for the NFL draft.

Each day I look at Smith's contract I am amazed at how bad of a deal he got. His agent screwed him. IMO the Bengals are the huge winners in this draft. If Smith is a bust they can rid themselves of him early. If he becomes a great player, then they pay him fair to below fair market value.

GIDP
09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
This is kind of a stereotype, but the vast majority of players aren't in school to get a degree. There are a handful of players who take the schooling serious make the correct decisions. I also think that some players graduate a year early, and some quit school after their last football game to train for the NFL draft.

Each day I look at Smith's contract I am amazed at how bad of a deal he got. His agent screwed him. IMO the Bengals are the huge winners in this draft. If Smith is a bust they can rid themselves of him early. If he becomes a great player, then they pay him fair to below fair market value.

and people say Mike Brown is a bad owner

Yachtzee
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Now they need to make sure they buy towels big enough to cover his fat bum.

DTCromer
09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Now they need to make sure they buy towels big enough to cover his fat bum.

That's doubtful. Ki-Jana Carter is no longer with the team.

schmidty622
09-01-2009, 11:21 AM

No, they say he is a terrible general manager. And the on field results back up that statement.

GIDP
09-01-2009, 11:27 AM
No, they say he is a terrible general manager. And the on field results back up that statement.

splitting hairs

bucksfan2
09-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Mike Brown has actually done a pretty good job, since Marvin came aboard, at paying his players, and extending his players early. Guys like Chad, Rudi, TJ, Levi, Willie (should have picked Steinbach), etc. all were extended before their contract expired. He gets a lot bad pub for not wanting to pay high draft picks a large amount. But would you want to pay Jamarcus Russel as one of the highest paid players in the league? Would you want to hand out franchise type money to a QB who has never taken a NFL snap? Would you want to pay a player who has never played an NFL game more than every one on your roster?

I just wonder how Keels explained to Andre Smith the contract. How do you tell a player that it is an incentive laden contract, where the max contract will be decided upon after his second year, and by the way because of my advice you will be behind the 8 ball for your first year.

LoganBuck
09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
From Bengals.com

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Smith has reasons to be busy. Citing a league source, Smith's contract contains a provision that slashes his pay in half for each game in which he weighs in at 350 pounds or higher and is not on the active Game day 45- man roster.

GREATEST..... CONTRACT..... EVER

KoryMac5
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't think Keels should mention the Smith contract when he is out recruiting potential clients. Dude got owned by Mike Brown.

GIDP
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
From Bengals.com

GREATEST..... CONTRACT..... EVER

Resign Mike Brown to a life time contract

CTA513
09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't think Keels should mention the Smith contract when he is out recruiting potential clients. Dude got owned by Mike Brown.

:thumbup:

mash3024
09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Well it looks like we don't have to worry about Smith playing this Thursday.

From Bengals.com

Less than 48 hours after signing his contract, rookie right tackle Andre Smith suffered a fractured foot late in Tuesday's practice and is going to be out of action for what head coach Marvin Lewis called "a few weeks."

GIDP
09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
:bowrofl:

redsmetz
09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Did Smith visit the Reds clubhouse? Apparently we need to get a witch doctor for both stadiums!

BuckeyeRed27
09-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow.

DTCromer
09-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Anyone who supports this franchise deserves for Smith to have a torn ACL.

KoryMac5
09-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Bad luck for sure, however the Bengals more than likely were going to use the two week roste exemption on him anyway. The main thing I would be worried about now is his weight if he has to keep off his foot.

dsmith421
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone who supports this franchise deserves for Smith to have a torn ACL.

Um, what?

Bright side for the Bengals brass -- the official 2009 excuse is beginning to take shape ... "We had devastating injuries on the front line that inevitably led to an injury to the quarterback ... it is difficult to compete with such bad luck ... however, our strong finish indicates better things are in store for 2010."

Redhook
09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
:bowrofl:

My reaction as well. Hilarious!

I'm a huge Bengals and I want them to win badly. However, this news made me laugh out loud. I'm not even upset about it. His holdout confirmed he would be pretty much useless this year so this broken foot isn't going to slow ol' Andre down too much.

It looks like both parties are getting what they deserved in this case.

KoryMac5
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
NFL Network says Smith will be out 7-10 days. So the question becomes how many lbs can Andre Smith put on in 7 to 10 days.

Redhook
09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
NFL Network says Smith will be out 7-10 days. So the question becomes how many lbs can Andre Smith put on in 7 to 10 days.

I don't see any way he's only out 7-10 days. No way.

Yachtzee
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Slimfast Saves.

Razor Shines
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Slimfast Saves.

Not if he's drinking it between meals.

KoryMac5
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't see any way he's only out 7-10 days. No way.

Probably he can resume light activity in 7 to 10 days. I would imagine full speed would be more like 2 weeks or so.

Eric_the_Red
09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
It's not like Hippopotasmith was going to really help this team until mid-way through the season anyway. Poor Carson.

KoryMac5
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
What are the chances that the foot was broken when he signed. A little conspiracy theory out there for you. I know they get a good physical but you could miss a small break in the foot.

WMR
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
http://slanchreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/andre-smith.jpg

I refuse to believe such a world-class athlete was in anything but perfect shape, despite the lengthy holdout.

Slyder
09-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I wish I could find the Simpsons episode where the X-Files gang has Homer Running.

Redsfaithful
09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
What's weird about that picture is how fit Smith looks in the shoulder/arms/oblique region (for a big guy), somehow most of his fat is concentrated in the chest/stomach region and almost nowhere else. The obliques really amaze me, how many fat guys do you know who don't have huge love handles?

He almost looks like he has loose skin from significant weight loss or something, it's bizarre. Maybe it's because he's in motion, I dunno.

GIDP
09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
What's weird about that picture is how fit Smith looks in the shoulder/arms/oblique region (for a big guy), somehow most of his fat is concentrated in the chest/stomach region and almost nowhere else. The obliques really amaze me, how many fat guys do you know who don't have huge love handles?

He almost looks like he has loose skin from significant weight loss or something, it's bizarre. Maybe it's because he's in motion, I dunno.

it looks like loose skin more than anything. I bet with shirts off a huge percentage of linemen would have the same thing happen

Redsfaithful
09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Makes you wonder if his weight yo-yos a lot, which is a frightening thought for a guy who already weighs 350+.

CTA513
09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
At todays press conference Marvin Lewis said that Andre Smith will be taking DeDe Dorseys spot on the 53 man roster.

BigPoppa
09-18-2009, 04:24 PM
http://slanchreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/andre-smith.jpg

Eye bleach, please.