1B- Alonso
2B- Phillips
3B- Rolen
SS- Hardy
LF- Votto
CF- Stubbs
RF- Bruce

lineup
1) Stubbs ( speed and power needs to cut down on the K's)
2) Phillips ( you know what your getting out of Phillips 270 20 75)
3) Votto ( typical #3 in my opinion avg. power and run producer)
4) Rolen (300 hitter with decent power and run producing)
5) Bruce (massive power)
6) Alonso (not sure yet but should be a good)
7) Hardy (hes not as bad as this years numbers)
8) Hannigan (solid back stop if he hits 240 he will do well)

rotation
1) Harang
2) Arroyo
3) Cueto
4) Bailey
5) I feel Walt will get a FA to fill a rotation spot

BP
CL- Cordero
R- Masset
L- Rhodes
L- D R Herra
R- Owings
R- Fischer
R- Burton

Bench
Janish
Gomes
Tatum
Sutton
Dickerson

Thats a darn good 25 man roster considering

Redlegs212
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
id take corky on the bench over tatum

fewfirstchoice
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
yeah...either or I guess. Isnt a nig drop off or gain either way. But the more I think about it Id probably rather have Corky also.

Red in Atl
09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd rather keep Hernandez for 2 million than have either Tatum or Corky. The rest I'm liking, and we shouldn't forget about Owings and Lehr, who could be suitable #5's. And the only reason I'm not trying to add a bigger name pitcher is money.

Kingspoint
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
C- Hannigan
1B- Alonso
2B- Phillips
3B- Rolen
SS- Hardy
LF- Votto
CF- Stubbs
RF- Bruce

lineup
1) Stubbs ( speed and power needs to cut down on the K's)
2) Phillips ( you know what your getting out of Phillips 270 20 75)
3) Votto ( typical #3 in my opinion avg. power and run producer)
4) Rolen (300 hitter with decent power and run producing)
5) Bruce (massive power)
6) Alonso (not sure yet but should be a good)
7) Hardy (hes not as bad as this years numbers)
8) Hannigan (solid back stop if he hits 240 he will do well)

rotation
1) Harang
2) Arroyo
3) Cueto
4) Bailey
5) I feel Walt will get a FA to fill a rotation spot

BP
CL- Cordero
R- Masset
L- Rhodes
L- D R Herra
R- Owings
R- Fischer
R- Burton

Bench
Janish
Gomes
Tatum
Sutton
Dickerson

Thats a darn good 25 man roster considering

That will score a lot of runs. Leave them in and quit tinkering with the lineup, Dusty. You're not no stinkin' genius!

CySeymour
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I would question very strongly whether Alonso would be ready for the big leagues come opening day.

Kingspoint
09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
It will be a very interesting off-season.

FlyerFanatic
09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
It will be a very interesting off-season.

ehhh.. i dont think so. i dont see any major signings, and when the season is up we'll hear the injury excuse that has been already used by dusty. FO might take an ad out in the papers telling fans/season ticket holders to please stick with the team yadda yadda yadda. i expect the starting lineup to be similar to what it was this year.

nemesis
09-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I would expect the team to stick with what it has over the offseason. If the team is out of it again around July 1st, I expect a firesale of all large contracts and a massive AAA infusion of talent. At the end of the year Walt steps down, Bavasi in and Dusty out and Sweet in...

Slyder
09-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I would expect the team to stick with what it has over the offseason. If the team is out of it again around July 1st, I expect a firesale of all large contracts and a massive AAA infusion of talent. At the end of the year Walt steps down, Bavasi in and Dusty out and Sweet in...

He's already flopped HORRIBLY once in Seattle why in the blue... yonder would we willing give him another chance to show he isnt a gm... oh wait.

That scenario scares me more than even Duhhhsty gets a contract extension we need NEW ideas not the same old plan we have right now.

CySeymour
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
That scenario scares me more than even Duhhhsty gets a contract extension we need NEW ideas not the same old plan we have right now.

:beerme:

Kingspoint
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
ehhh.. i dont think so. i dont see any major signings, and when the season is up we'll hear the injury excuse that has been already used by dusty. FO might take an ad out in the papers telling fans/season ticket holders to please stick with the team yadda yadda yadda. i expect the starting lineup to be similar to what it was this year.

Less than 2000 people showed up for a Day Game in the Summertime. That will make things happen. Jockety's being looked like a buffoon right now in the papers and in public. That Hal McCoy piece was dead on and will probably help to stimulate the wheels moving in a forward direction.

But, I see what you're saying. I know when I said, "it will be an interesting off-season", that I shouldn't have used the word "interesting". I didn't mean movement, as I agree with you that there won't be a lot.

I don't know what I should have used, but I'm very interested to see what happens at Shortstop, and what happens in Spring Training at 1st Base, and what happens with Arroyo and Harang, and what happens in Spring Training with Heisey. We have way too much talent at 1B and the Outfield and too little at SS, Starting Pitching, and 3rd Base (Rolen is not talented any more....will bet anyone a pizza that he can't OPS .775 next season, yet Dusty will have him batting ahead of at least two players with higher OPS' next year).

Kingspoint
09-02-2009, 05:31 PM

No!!!!! not Bavasi. I'd rather stick with Dusty Baker than to have Bavasi come anywhere near the REDS' franchise.

You obviously didn't witness him totally destroy single-handedly the Mariners' franchise. I did. Bill Bavasi couldn't run a grade-school athletic department.

If the REDS hired Bill Bavasi, say goodbye to all the work that O'Brien, Krivsky, and Walt put into building up the REDS' Minor League system, (though Walt gets very little credit, at most 10%).

Bill Bavasi= DEATH of an Organization

Slyder
09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Bavasi is the VP of Scouting, Player Dev. and International Ops already.

Kingspoint
09-02-2009, 08:29 PM

Are you kidding me?

Oh, God, NO!!!!!

Now I know why Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke were traded. None of it made any sense until now.

:(

I'm guessing he got hired on by the REDS over the last 16 months. No way would Krivsky hire this knucklehead.

FlyerFanatic
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM

wow? really? ridiculous. i thought he was brought in just to help assist walt or whoever, basically be a errand boy

Kingspoint
09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
During Bavasi's Mariner tenure, the club achieved only one winning season (88-74 in 2007). Losing records of 63-99 in 2004, 69-93 in 2005, 78-84 in 2006, and a sub .500 2008 did not help Bavasi's image from the fans perspectives. At mid year of the 2008 season, Bavasi could have been the first general manager in the history of the MLB to have a 100 loss season with a 100 million dollar payroll, which was unprecedented in not only MLB, but sports history. On June 16, 2008 Bavasi was relieved of his position with the Mariners in hopes of improving their already losing 2008 season.

In May discussions about the losing 2008 season, Bavasi was quoted backing his field manager John McLaren saying "John is doing the job, and the team's performance is not related to his work. It's purely related to player performance and underachieving." Unfortunately for Bavasi, he was the individual who signed and/or traded for the majority of the Mariners players.

Finally, with the worst record in the major leagues (24-45) Bavasi was fired on June 16, 2008. Seattle Mariners Chief Executive Officer Howard Lincoln, who made the announcement, said, "Change is in order. We have determined new leadership is needed in the GM position. With a new leader will come a new plan and a new approach." Vice President/Associate GM Lee Pelekoudas was named to take over in the interim.

Trades and signings

Through his tenure as the Seattle Mariners GM Bavasi had made plenty of impacting signings and trades, although few have been positives. Free agent signings under Bavasi include Raúl Ibáñez, Richie Sexson, Adrián Beltré, Jarrod Washburn, Scott Spezio, Rich Aurilia, Carl Everett, Matt Lawton, and Jeff Weaver. Some of the notable trades that Bavasi has made during his tenure as Mariners GM include: Freddy Garcia for Miguel Olivo, Jeremy Reed, and Mike Morse; Carlos Guillén for Ramón Santiago; Asdrubal Cabrera for Eduardo Perez; Shin-Soo Choo for Ben Broussard; Randy Winn for Jesse Foppert; Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramírez, and Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard. Some of these moves were controversial moves and upset the Mariners' fan base which led to Howard Lincoln (Mariners CEO), saying Bavasi was on the "hot seat" unless he produced a championship contender. Nonetheless, CEO Lincoln announced that Bavasi would be brought back in 2008 because he had produced a winning record in 2007.

Talks of controversial transactions continued during the 2007-2008 offseason. On February 8, 2008, Bavasi consummated a deal in which Seattle acquired pitcher Érik Bédard from the Baltimore Orioles. Bédard was traded to the Seattle Mariners in a 5 for 1 deal sending outfielder Adam Jones and pitchers George Sherrill, Tony Butler, Chris Tillman and Kam Mickolio to the Orioles. By mid-May 2008 the Mariners were already fifteen games under .500 and already out of the pennant race, while Sherrill is near the top of the MLB in saves and Jones batting .276 for Baltimore.

Internet Petitions

Several internet petitions had been started by outraged Mariners fans calling for the firing of Bill Bavasi as general manager of the club. A website cited the goal of becoming contenders once again and achieving the goal by firing the Mariners general manager. An online petition was also started calling for some action on Bavasi from the Mariner's upper management.

Comparison to other General Managers

Forbes Magazine ranked Bavasi 87th out of 98 General Managers of professional sports with 3 or more years of experience in 2007, the lowest ranking of any General Manager in Major League Baseball.

Kingspoint
09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
That's the saddest news I've heard about the REDS since Larkin was signed to that exhorbitant contract.

There really are patients running the asylum in REDSDOM.

Slyder
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
wow? really? ridiculous. i thought he was brought in just to help assist walt or whoever, basically be a errand boy

Ya I didnt think he was anything more than a "consultant to Cast" either until I did a short little freelance scouting cause I was bored one weekend at Appalachian Power Park and got basically a "thank you, we shall send this to the proper scouts" type card in the mail. I then looked him up on the Reds website.

UPRedsFan
09-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd say Alonzo won't quite be ready opening day. We'll either see a 1 year rental in left field or

We might see an April line up of:

Dickerson/Stubbs
Janish (would rather see Hannigan here)
Votto
Phillips
Rolen
Bruce
Gomes/Nix
Hannigan

Maybe around late May, Alonzo comes up and moves Joey to left field. Now that would be a line up! Could easily put up with Janish hitting .230 in that lineup.

And with a rotation of Cueto, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Owings/Lehr

flash
09-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry, but there were several things with the original post that really bothered me.

First of all, Alonso does not seem anywhere near ready. If anything fransicao is more ready than him.

Bruce doesn't even have a .300 OBP. Yeah he has massive power, but I would like to see it produce more base hits.

Stubbs hasn't really convinced me as of yet. Yeah he is a great fielding centerfielder, but his OBP is only .301.

I also expect Wood to be a starter next year.

Hardy- forget it. I really don't want to try and get a high priced free agent who is currently a bomb on the team he is playing with. The reds already have one of those. His name is Taveras.