PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore to DC travel advice

Hoosier Red
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Just curious if anyone here travels to DC regularly. How much of a pain is it to get into DC from BWI airport?
How likely am I to be mugged on the MARC train from the airport, or are there additional reasonably priced options?

PedroBourbon
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Just curious if anyone here travels to DC regularly. How much of a pain is it to get into DC from BWI airport?
How likely am I to be mugged on the MARC train from the airport, or are there additional reasonably priced options?

Wow, not a big deal at all. Commute is not bad and not long. Done it many times. You will not get mugged if you keep your wallet and mouth shut.

Hap
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
MARC trains are very clean and very safe. It will most likely be jam-packed with commuters in business suits and/or military uniforms.

paintmered
09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
MARC trains are very clean and very safe. It will most likely be jam-packed with commuters in business suits and/or military uniforms.

That's my experience as well.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Does it run on Sundays? I was trying to locate the schedule but I couldn't read it correctly. What a hayseed I am.

redsmetz
09-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Does it run on Sundays? I was trying to locate the schedule but I couldn't read it correctly. What a hayseed I am.

Let me check with my son tomorrow, if someone hasn't answered by then, but I think it may not run then, but I could be mistaken.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Unless they've changed it since I lived there, no -- MARC does not run on Sundays.

There used to be a bunch of ground transportation vans that ran to various hotels in the DC area, but I'm not sure what the cost for one of those is.

Honestly, if you're planning on using mass transit to get around, DCA is the way to go. You can hop the yellow line right from the airport and get anywhere in the city.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I didn't see any DC trains from the BWI airport unless I missed it.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2009, 11:22 PM
I didn't see any DC trains from the BWI airport unless I missed it.

Sorry, should've been more clear -- DCA = Reagan National Airport.

That's the only airport trains from DC run to. If I have to fly to DC, unless I can be certain one of my friends there can give me a ride, I always try to book into National.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to save some money and fly into Baltimore. The train schedule looks pretty doable for the Friday coming in.

Nugget
09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
You could always catch the Amtrak from DC (Union Station) to BWI (its about $10-$15) and takes about 30 mins

D-Man
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
If you're just looking for an inexpensive and timely return to BWI airport on Sunday, you should consider the blue Super Shuttle (www.supershuttle.com). The fees are ~ $30 + tips, and they pick you up at your door. The tradeoff is that you may need to leave earlier than you would if you were driving, but it will certainly save you time door-to-door if your only other option is the Amtrak.

nineworldseries
09-10-2009, 09:17 AM
You could always catch the Amtrak from DC (Union Station) to BWI (its about $10-$15) and takes about 30 mins

There's a bus that runs directly from BWI to the last Green Line Metro stop in DC. That's probably the easiest way to go, but it will take a while.