PDA

View Full Version : Today's Lineup

gobucks106
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't get it and Dusty must not get it either. Why is Wladimir Balentien not in the lineup instead of McDonald. He's hot and the homerun he hit to right center lastnight still hasn't landed. I can never understand why the day after a player has a good game he's not in the lineup. All I can say is I hope McDonald is something like 10 for 15 against Zach Duke with 3 doubles, 2 HR, and 6 RBI's for his career, but I doubt it because he hasn't been around long enough. It probably boils down to he's 2 for 3 and Balentien is 0 for 4. Duke is a lefthander so that doesn't matter because McDonald and Balentien are both righties. Oh well lets just get the sweep and keep winning!

Posted by JohnFay at 9/2/2009 10:46 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Drew Stubbs cf
Paul Janish ss
Joey Votto 1b
Brandon Phillips 2b
Jonny Gomes rf
Darnell McDonald lf
Adam Rosales 3b
Corky Miller c
Homer Bailey p

vs. LH Zach Duke (10-12, 3.68)

The Reds selected the contract of left-hander Pedro Viola. Viola, 25, was 2-2 with a 5.47 ERA at Louisville -- 49 1/3 innings, 48 hits, 33 walks, 57 strikeouts. He's got a great arm.

Danny Richar (shoulder) was put on the 60-day disabled list to make room for Viola.

Scott Rolen left last night's game in the eighth or ninth. But I thought they just resting him because of the blowout. I'll check to see why he's not playing.

CySeymour
09-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Stuff like this I blame Walt for. He needs to give Dusty the directive to play Wlad every day unless there is an injury or is obviously tired. Why, why, why does McDonald have to take at-bats away???

malcontent
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Stuff like this I blame Walt for. He needs to give Dusty the directive to play Wlad every day unless there is an injury or is obviously tired. Why, why, why does McDonald have to take at-bats away???
Toothpick's still the manager. Jocketty's not going to step on his toes by ordering him to play this or that player as long as he's the manager.

Me, I blame Jocketty and Castellini that we've got to live with Pick's blundering for another year or more.

CySeymour
09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Toothpick's still the manager. Jocketty's not going to step on his toes by ordering him to play this or that player as long as he's the manager.

Me, I blame Jocketty and Castellini that we've got to live with Pick's blundering for another year or more.

Oh I agree...Dusty is still the guy filling out the lineup card. However, Walt's his boss, and as the boss he needs to direct Dusty to have Wlad play everyday so the organization can evaluate what they have in him for next season.

Captain Hook
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Isn't it the job of the GM to direct the managers in most businesses?Dusty had his chance to do things his way this year and now that all is lost it's time Walt steps in and lays down a new game plan for the rest of the season.

How hard would it be to just go to Dusty and say"hey Toothpick, I want to see this, this and that from here on out so I have a better idea of what I'm working with this off season".Then again maybe he did and Old Mcdonald was one of the guys Walt wanted to see(god I hope not).It also wouldn't surprise me if Tavaras came back and started everyday in CF.What are we doing right now other then winning meaningless games?At this point every single thing that is done should be done with next year in mind.

Red in Atl
09-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Day game after a night game, four games in three days, are both decent reasons not to play Balentin. And Darnell has been hitting well too.

Does it really matter that much? Neither one is going to start in LF next year.

My bigger annoyance is that the way the team is playing now is great, but when you lose 8 in a row and then 6 in a row, you dig your hole too deep to get out of, and they do this crap every year. If they had won 5 of those 14 loses, they be in contention for the WC right now. That simple.

Captain Hook
09-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Day game after a night game, four games in three days, are both decent reasons not to play Balentin. And Darnell has been hitting well too.

Does it really matter that much? Neither one is going to start in LF next year.

My bigger annoyance is that the way the team is playing now is great, but when you lose 8 in a row and then 6 in a row, you dig your hole too deep to get out of, and they do this crap every year. If they had won 5 of those 14 loses, they be in contention for the WC right now. That simple.

Your probably right about everything except for winning 5 of those 14 losses and that we would be in WC contention if we did.We probably needed a few more then 5 wins but I get your point and agree that one bad month of baseball seems to kill us every year.I think a strong manager shakes things up and gets your team out of those funks faster thus minimizing the damage so you can fight another day.A bad manager lets guys play through their slumps that are killing the team and makes excuses thus allowing the Losses pile up.Hmmm.......what did Dusty do during our loosing streaks?