PDA

View Full Version : Reds only 3 GB from 4th, 4.5 GB back of 3rd

LouisvilleCARDS
09-03-2009, 04:12 AM
Not that it matters a ton, but I like to see this team win. Winning 9 of 11, even if picking on the Pirates, is pretty cool.

Sean_CaseyRules
09-03-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm with you here. This last strech has given me a lot of hope for next year, with everyone on our team playing very well right now.

BigPoppa
09-03-2009, 05:17 AM
I was actually looking at this today.....this team has at least a realistic shot of finishing 3rd in the Central division, if we keep playing this well.

will5979
09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Chill and don't kid yourself, I love the winning as much as you guys but trust me its jsut a matter of time till the losing is back.

texasdave
09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
It is nice to win no matter what.

Red in Atl
09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I think the goal should be to get to .500. They have to go 21-8 to do it, but it would be against good team, most in contention, and it would allow a lot of learning for the kids.

I realistically never thought this was the year. But when they started strong, I think we all got ahead of ourselves and wanted the playoffs now. I really see 2010 as the make or break year.

The big thing is that you have to have a stopper in the rotation. You can't loose 8 straight and 6 straight and expect to contend. Bailey's progress is great. Cueto back and strong is huge. And I think keeping Arroyo and Harang is quite important for next year.

If we can find a serviceable SS or Janish can hit .265, and we get the whole team playing together without the injury bug, we are definite contenders next year.

PhillipsHead
09-03-2009, 03:20 PM
If you don't care about the team winning in a meaningless season, watch Mr. 3000. I love that movie, and I feel like this should be some kind of motivation for this team. I'd rather see them push for .500 and 3rd/4th place than to watch them tank and be a laughing stock. Play for respectability...

Captain Hook
09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I like seeing the team play well and agree that it gives some hope for next year.As far as finishing 3rd I really don't care.It's not 1st or 2nd and there is no way we finish at or above .500.The Reds have had a bad season and at this point nothing will change that.

More then anything I'm rooting for individuals.A Reds win doesn't mean as much to me as seeing Stubbs or Yanish going 3-4 or seeing Bailey and Cueto pitch great games.

Red in Atl
09-03-2009, 06:26 PM
And don't forget, if Volquez comes back next July/Aug and is the same pitcer he was...it's like getting a top of the line starter in a trade. I think Lehr/Maloney/Owings can hold the 5 spot pretty well till then.

Girevik
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Too bad they couldn't play like this right after the All-Star break, when they still had a shot. You know when they couldn't win two games in a week, let alone sweep a double header?

Krawhitham
09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
A quick impact draft pick is getting further and further away

Krawhitham
09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
And don't forget, if Volquez comes back next July/Aug and is the same pitcer he was...it's like getting a top of the line starter in a trade. I think Lehr/Maloney/Owings can hold the 5 spot pretty well till then.

big IF

Kingspoint
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Not that it matters a ton, but I like to see this team win. Winning 9 of 11, even if picking on the Pirates, is pretty cool.

It's amazing what can be done without Willy T in the lineup.

LouisvilleCARDS
09-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Updated: Reds still three out of 4th, but now four out of 3rd, and 6.5 out of 2nd.

Slyder
09-05-2009, 02:55 AM
It's amazing what can be done without Willy T in the lineup.

Same thing happened in Colorado...

JLO44
09-05-2009, 04:33 AM
The problem with this recent hot streak is that it gives the front office hope for next year, justifies them doing nothing to improve the team, and allows them to blame injuries for the Reds problems. And while injuries did contribute, they certainly were not the reson this team could not score runs.

LouisvilleCARDS
09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
The problem with this recent hot streak is that it gives the front office hope for next year, justifies them doing nothing to improve the team, and allows them to blame injuries for the Reds problems. And while injuries did contribute, they certainly were not the reson this team could not score runs.

The problem with what you just said is, you think if we lose that they're going to do anything anyway. See: the last 9 seasons.

LouisvilleCARDS
09-06-2009, 06:21 PM
7 in a row, and ruining the Braves playoff chances. This is fun. If we do the same to Colorado, let the good times roll.

goreds2
09-06-2009, 10:41 PM
If we go 19-7, we finish 82 -80.

I still think the front office will make moves to get us over the hump if we finish strong or not.

Finishing at or just a couple or so games under .500 will still give this team much more confidence going into next year.

JLO44
09-07-2009, 03:12 AM
The problem with what you just said is, you think if we lose that they're going to do anything anyway. See: the last 9 seasons.

While I can see why you would think that, the optimistic side of me thinks that WJ might be different. I know we dont have money to spend, but you dont always need money to improve your ball club. It is all about identifying the players that fit your plan, and trading the surplus for needed parts. Do I have total faith in WJ to do this? No. But it is certainly possible.

But regardless of the outcome of the rest of the season, changes need to be made. The definition of insanity to doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting different results. But rather changes are made remains to be seen.

bgwilly31
09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
i for one am very surprised were as close to .500 as we are right now.

I stopped watching the games regulary. But kept hearing they won again!

Its always nice to hear they are winning.

Kingspoint
09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
i for one am very surprised were as close to .500 as we are right now.

Oooohhhh.

We're 13 games UNDER .500.

:beerme:

Hondo
09-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I would just really like this team to stop pitching Kip Wells out there... The guy is not going to be on the team in the future so why are we even using him...

I would rather see young guys pitch than retreads...

LouisvilleCARDS
09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
We got swept by the Rockies, figured it had to come to an end sometime. But 3 of the games were right there, and Arroyo/Bailey/Maloney pitched well in those games. The other game that wasn't close is a guy who is just here to finish the year and will be gone after the year. Arroyo's getting close to get his ERA under 4, who woulda thought that was possible?

LouisvilleCARDS
09-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Reds only 4 out of 3rd tonight.