PDA

View Full Version : And this is why I hate the Patriots

WVRed
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour has been traded from the New England Patriots to the Oakland Raiders, giving the rebuilding franchise a veteran stalwart up front.

In return, the Patriots received a first-round draft choice in 2011.

Graham ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

Seymour was in the final year of the four-year extension he signed in 2006. He was due to make $3.685 million.

"From nearly the day he arrived in 2001, Richard Seymour established himself as one of our premier players for nearly a decade," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Sunday. "His presence has been felt as a force on the field, a respected man off it and a multiyear champion."

The 29-year-old Seymour was drafted by the Patriots sixth overall in 2001, and started 105 of 111 games over eight seasons. He made 460 tackles and 39 sacks, and in 2002 was selected to the first of five consecutive Pro Bowls.

Seymour, who earned three Super Bowl titles with the Patriots, matched his career high with eight sacks in 2008.

The move is only the latest as the Patriots continue to get younger on defense. Linebacker Mike Vrabel was traded to Kansas City in the offseason, safety Rodney Harrison announced his retirement, and more recently Tedy Bruschi officially called it a career after 13 seasons.

"Any transaction we make is with the goal of what is best for our team and, as difficult as it is to part ways with a player of Richard's stature, many factors were taken into account when we considered this trade," Belichick said.

Richard Seymour is off to Oakland after tying a career best with eight sacks in 2008. Here's a look at Seymour's best seasons in terms of sacks:

"As an organization, we feel the trade with Oakland brings sufficient value and is in the long-term interest of the club," he added. "We are extremely grateful for the huge impact Richard's elite level of performance had on our success and we wish him the very best during the rest of his career."

The Patriots, who went 3-1 in the preseason, begin the regular season Sept. 14 against the Buffalo Bills at Gillette Stadium.

The addition of rookies Myron Pryor and Ron Brace to a defensive line that also includes veterans Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green and Mike Wright made Seymour expendable.

"It's the nature of the business," said veteran running back Kevin Faulk, the longest-serving player on the team after Bruschi's departure. "They have an agenda upstairs, and the coaches decide who comes and goes. You can't do nothing about it."

Faulk said the team will miss the way Seymour carried himself as a person and a player.

"He was a quiet leader," second-year linebacker Jerod Mayo said. "He led by his actions. He'll be dearly missed as a teammate and as a player on the field. But we have players that are ready to step up."

When asked if the Pats might be better without Seymour, Mayo said: "Ask me after Game 1."

In a corresponding move, the Patriots reached agreement Sunday with free-agent guard Kendall Simmons, a source close to the player told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Simmons will fill the roster spot vacated by Seymour.

A former first-round pick of the Steelers, Simmons appeared in four games for Pittsburgh last season. He worked out for New England last week.

Kendall is expected to sign later Sunday.

Seymour is on the later stage of his career and with Al Davis' track record, this could end up being a top 5 pick in 2011. It's the equivalent of being in a fantasy league and then ripping off one of the not so brightest GM's for their best players.

Slyder
09-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Can we storm Raiders HQ and take the keys out of Al's hands please?!?!?!?

GIDP
09-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Raiders are awesome

Slyder
09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
This is going to work out about as well as Randy Moss for the 7th overall pick did. Only difference is the Patroits have a better record at not screwing up in the draft.

CrackerJack
09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Good trade for both teams, with 1st round pick loss not til 2011.

Can't hate that Pats for working the system and competent management.

Chip R
09-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Good trade for both teams, with 1st round pick loss not til 2011.

Can't hate that Pats for working the system and competent management.

Exactly. I don't care for them too much but you can't hate them for trying to improve their team.

Redsfaithful
09-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Al Davis will be dead by then so I'm sure he doesn't mind losing the pick.

guttle11
09-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd like to say the Patriots are smarter than everyone, but this move doesn't show that. You get no credit for picking on the handicapped.

Chip R
09-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I'd like to say the Patriots are smarter than everyone, but this move doesn't show that. You get no credit for picking on the handicapped.

The Bengals should get no credit like that. Of course picking someone so high in the draft would cost them too much money.

WVRed
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I'll pose this question. How many would have liked to have seen the Bengals make this trade? Similar team to the Raiders in terms of management, and you know that you are basically throwing away a potentially younger player of the same caliber. As much as I would love to see a Richard Seymour on our line, I wouldn't pay that price knowing our management.

WVRed
09-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Just some food for thought, but on offense, 2011 could be the year Terrelle Pryor and Julio Jones are draft eligible should they declare.

Anyone want to see one of these two in Foxborough?

Screwball
09-06-2009, 10:03 PM
As much as I would love to see a Richard Seymour on our line, I wouldn't pay that price knowing our management.

Agreed, but for a different reason. I actually like our D-Line. Peko, Tank and Sims form a solid DT rotation, and that's where he'd play in a 4-3 base. I like Seymour a lot, but for a first round draft pick, I'd rather improve the Offensive Line.

GIDP
09-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Id say Richard Seymour is on the big sloping down side of his career and its not because hes just getting old.

Screwball
09-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Id say Richard Seymour is on the big sloping down side of his career and its not because hes just getting old.

What else do you attribute his downslide to? He went to 5 straight Pro Bowls in his younger years.

GIDP
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
What else do you attribute his downslide to? He went to 5 straight Pro Bowls in his younger years.

Injuries

Screwball
09-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Injuries

Wouldn't that be a function of getting older?

GIDP
09-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't that be a function of getting older?

Well they can go hand in hand but I think hes going to fall off not because of the age its going to be the injuries. If that makes any sense. Similar to Levi Jones. Seymour isnt really old yet but I just think the injuries are going to catch up quickly.

guttle11
09-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Just some food for thought, but on offense, 2011 could be the year Terrelle Pryor and Julio Jones are draft eligible should they declare.

Anyone want to see one of these two in Foxborough?

Pryor's not going to be a top ten pick.

Caveat Emperor
09-07-2009, 03:37 AM
If you're into tea-leaf reading, Al Davis just traded his first pick in 2011 -- which is the year that people are speculating might be a lock-out year if there isn't a new CBA in place.

Good year to give up a #1 -- where owners will face the prospect of negotiating guaranteed-money deals with a work-stoppage looming.

Just spitballin'...

WVRed
09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Pryor's not going to be a top ten pick.

Not an Ohio State fan by any means, but if he can improve this season and next without Todd Boeckman sharing the snaps, he will easily be the best QB available.

Plus I could see Belicheck drafting him as 1.A future successor to Tom Brady and 2.Somebody who could contribute immediately in the Wildcat formation.

redsfanmia
09-07-2009, 07:49 AM
The Patriots acquire a ton of picks but they are not the greatest on draft day. The Belicheat earns his money by picking up veterans and putting them in positions utilizing their strengths and hiding their weakness's. The Patriots getting a ton of picks does not make me hate them, their arrogance does.

Newport Red
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I have nothing but admiration for the Patriots. One step ahead of the league, two decades ahead of the Bengals.

blumj
09-08-2009, 05:50 PM
If you're into tea-leaf reading, Al Davis just traded his first pick in 2011 -- which is the year that people are speculating might be a lock-out year if there isn't a new CBA in place.

Good year to give up a #1 -- where owners will face the prospect of negotiating guaranteed-money deals with a work-stoppage looming.

Just spitballin'...

The Pats apparently pushed for a 2011 pick instead of 2010, because of expected slotting/rookie cap in the next CBA.

Brutus
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
The Patriots won't even keep that No. 1 pick. They'll do what they always do - trade it away in order for trading down to late in the first round and gain an extra first or second round pick out of it.

DTCromer
09-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I have nothing but admiration for the Patriots. One step ahead of the league, two decades ahead of the Bengals.

Couldn't have said it better. Not many people in the NFL have an appreciation for the greatness of a franchise that is the New England Patriots. I'd add the Steelers and Colts to that list as the top tier of franchises in the league and a considerable gap between them and the rest.

guttle11
09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Not an Ohio State fan by any means, but if he can improve this season and next without Todd Boeckman sharing the snaps, he will easily be the best QB available.

Plus I could see Belicheck drafting him as 1.A future successor to Tom Brady and 2.Somebody who could contribute immediately in the Wildcat formation.

Nah, NFL teams won't go for the Vick/Young type anymore. There will be 4-5 prototype NFL QBs available when Pryor is in the draft, and they'll all go ahead of him. If Pryor becomes a great passer, which is highly doubtful, he might be a late first rounder.

And this is from a huge OSU homer that honestly thinks the Bucks win by 14 points on Saturday.

SultanOfSwing
09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
The Patriots acquire a ton of picks but they are not the greatest on draft day. The Belicheat earns his money by picking up veterans and putting them in positions utilizing their strengths and hiding their weakness's. The Patriots getting a ton of picks does not make me hate them, their arrogance does.
Hate much?

SultanOfSwing
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM

Let's see...

Patriots Draft History (http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=NWE&lg=NFL)

Rnd Name College Note
1 Jerod Mayo Tennessee

Rnd Name College Note
1 Brandon Meriweather Miami (Fla.)

Rnd Name College Note
1 Laurence Maroney Minnesota
3 Dave Thomas Texas
4 Stephen Gostkowski Memphis
6 Le Kevin Smith Nebraska
7 Willie Andrews Baylor

Rnd Name College Note
1 Logan Mankins Fresno State
3 Ellis Hobbs Iowa State
3 Nick Kaczur Toledo
7 Matt Cassel USC

Rnd Name College Note
1 Vince Wilfork Miami (FL)
1 Ben Watson Georgia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Ty Warren Texas A&M
2 Eugene Wilson Illinois
4 Asante Samuel Central Florida
5 Dan Koppen Boston College
7 Tully Banta-Cain California

Rnd Name College Note
2 Deion Branch Louisville
4 Jarvis Green Louisiana State
7 David Givens Notre Dame

Rnd Name College Note
1 Richard Seymour Georgia
2 Matt Light Purdue

Rnd Name College Note
6 Tom Brady Michigan

Just a few of the players the Patriots have drafted this decade that have become stars or represented huge value in relation to the slot they were drafted. And remember, almost every year the Patriots draft much lower in each round because of their record.

Look at the list at the link above. Many, many players they have drafted have started or made solid contributions, often to Super Bowl caliber/winning teams. Now compare that list to any other team. What NFL has drafted significantly better than the Patriots this decade?

redsfanmia
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Let's see...

Patriots Draft History (http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=NWE&lg=NFL)

Rnd Name College Note
1 Jerod Mayo Tennessee

Rnd Name College Note
1 Brandon Meriweather Miami (Fla.)

Rnd Name College Note
1 Laurence Maroney Minnesota
3 Dave Thomas Texas
4 Stephen Gostkowski Memphis
6 Le Kevin Smith Nebraska
7 Willie Andrews Baylor

Rnd Name College Note
1 Logan Mankins Fresno State
3 Ellis Hobbs Iowa State
3 Nick Kaczur Toledo
7 Matt Cassel USC

Rnd Name College Note
1 Vince Wilfork Miami (FL)
1 Ben Watson Georgia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Ty Warren Texas A&M
2 Eugene Wilson Illinois
4 Asante Samuel Central Florida
5 Dan Koppen Boston College
7 Tully Banta-Cain California

Rnd Name College Note
2 Deion Branch Louisville
4 Jarvis Green Louisiana State
7 David Givens Notre Dame

Rnd Name College Note
1 Richard Seymour Georgia
2 Matt Light Purdue

Rnd Name College Note
6 Tom Brady Michigan

Just a few of the players the Patriots have drafted this decade that have become stars or represented huge value in relation to the slot they were drafted. And remember, almost every year the Patriots draft much lower in each round because of their record.

Look at the list at the link above. Many, many players they have drafted have started or made solid contributions, often to Super Bowl caliber/winning teams. Now compare that list to any other team. What NFL has drafted significantly better than the Patriots this decade?

I would say the Steelers, Colts, Chargers, Packers among others have drafted better than the Patriots. I just think that Belichick makes his living by getting the most out of veterans who have certain skills and he uses those skills to the maximum, Troy Brown and Mike Vrabel come to mind, not on draft day.

redsfanmia
09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Hate much?

Did he get caught cheating? How is stating fact hating?

blumj
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Meanwhile, no one's remarked on the really interesting part of this whole thing. You know, the part where Seymour has shown no signs of actually going to Oakland yet?

Brutus
09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Meanwhile, no one's remarked on the really interesting part of this whole thing. You know, the part where Seymour has shown no signs of actually going to Oakland yet?

It's bizarre.

On one hand, the Patriots have been saying the deal is finalized. And there's the report that he has 5 days to report to Oakland. On the other hand, the Raiders keep saying he has some things to finish in New England before the trade is final.

Very strange situation.

KoryMac5
09-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Reports state that Seymour was told by his agent Eugene Parker that he and the Patriots were working on a new deal to keep him with the club. A retirement deal so to speak. Shortly after Parker talked to Seymour about this he was traded to the Raiders.

It's all about finances and that Seymour wants a contract extension most likely from the Raiders. We will find out in a few days when he doesn't report and his lack of a physical from the Raiders voids the trade.

Slyder
09-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Reports state that Seymour was told by his agent Eugene Parker that he and the Patriots were working on a new deal to keep him with the club. A retirement deal so to speak. Shortly after Parker talked to Seymour about this he was traded to the Raiders.

It's all about finances and that Seymour wants a contract extension most likely from the Raiders. We will find out in a few days when he doesn't report and his lack of a physical from the Raiders voids the trade.

I Hope that bolded part is the truth. He's not going to be the "final piece to a contender" for a first round pick. Seymour would be a "final piece to .500" most likely if the cards break right for Oakland and yes I know Al's track record aint the greatest of late but he's gotta "retire" at some point right???

blumj
09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
My understanding is that it isn't right, the Raiders control his rights now. If he still fails to report by Tuesday, the Raiders can suspend him without pay for the season, still control him for another year, and start this all over again next season. But that the trade won't be voided by his failure to report.

redsfandan
09-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Yesterday he was facing a season long suspension...

Seymour still a no-show for Raiders
By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer
13 hours, 16 minutes ago

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—The Oakland Raiders reportedly sent defensive lineman Richard Seymour(notes) a letter giving him until Tuesday to report to the team or face a possible season-long suspension.

If Seymour does not report to the Raiders by Tuesday, the team could place him on a suspended list without pay at any time. That would prohibit him from playing for any team this season and roll over his contract for another year. Seymour would then not be eligible for free agency next season. The Raiders would retain his rights in 2010 for $3.7 million. ...

and now it's all over ...

Sources: Seymour, Raiders plan arrival
By Adam Schefter ESPN
Updated: September 12, 2009, 2:45 AM ET

The Raiders and Richard Seymour are in the final stages of planning the defensive lineman's arrival in Oakland this weekend, sources familiar with the negotiation told ESPN Friday.

Seymour is expected to fly to Oakland as early as Saturday and arrive in time to play Monday night's game against the San Diego Chargers. ...
and it looks like it had nothing to do with finances...

Oakland did not give Seymour a new contract or a promise not to slap its franchise tag on him after this season. But Seymour will not risk losing any of this year's $3.685 million base salary and he will be that much closer to free agency in a potentially uncapped year in 2010.

The news puts an end to a situation that had gone on for nearly a week and seemed as if it could last longer.

Oakland traded a 2011 first-round pick to New England last Sunday for Seymour. Then, after a week in which Seymour did not report, the Raiders sent him a five-day letter, giving him five days to report or risk being suspended. Oakland also removed him from its roster and signed defensive tackle William Joseph.

But executives around the league believed Seymour's best option was to report to the Raiders, begin collecting his $3.685 million salary and work off the last year of his contract.

Barring an unexpected breakdown, Seymour will become a Raider this weekend and be on the field Monday night.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider
No new contract and I doubt he'd want one right away anyway when he will be either a free agent (and can pick a much better team to play for) or will be franchised (which would mean an automatic BIG raise).

The big differences between the teams may have been part of the delay. Family may have been another reason...

“I don’t know what’s going on in the situation right now,” defensive end Greg Ellis(notes) said. “We obviously would love to have him here, but I respect Richard. He’s married with a wife and kids. People so many times want to say, ‘Well, those athletes want money, money, money.’ But you have to understand we are people. We do have wives, and we do have kids, and he’s a guy who has both a wife and kids. They’re in school out on the East Coast, so to jump up in a matter of a week and get out here and be ready to play a whole season. Do you bring your wife and kids or you leave your wife and kids? So it’s a tough situation

This may just be a case of poor communication between a team that is one of the worst organizations in the league, and is located on the west coast, and a guy leaving one of the very best teams that happens to be on the east coast where his family is also located. In a sense, his world was turned upside down and he had no control over it. Being dealt from a team that's always in the playoffs to the NFL's version of purgatory, even if it's for only one season. And a trade that happened way too late to relocate his family so he won't be able to see them until Oakland's bye week in two months. I bet his kids aren't too thrilled. This seems like one of the downsides of professional sports to me.

blumj
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
So, I don't suppose anyone hates the Patriots just a little bit less today?

traderumor
10-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Regarding Seymour, people get transferred in careers. Most are not toughing it out on over $3M a year, but have to relocate just to keep their middle income management job. Not feeling very sympathetic.