PDA

View Full Version : Merriman arrested for choking Tila Tequila

improbus
09-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm not making this up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap34a15xbyZQvHXD6l2RBkA5nYcB?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

Should I be happy or outraged. I'm kidding of course, but when are these stories going to start to stick to the NFL itself. I'm an NBA guy and am sick of my league being called a thug league when they are choir boys compared to the NFL.

Chip R
09-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Does Shawne Merriman have to choke a (woman)?

I'm not making this up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap34a15xbyZQvHXD6l2RBkA5nYcB?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

Should I be happy or outraged. I'm kidding of course, but when are these stories going to start to stick to the NFL itself. I'm an NBA guy and am sick of my league being called a thug league when they are choir boys compared to the NFL.

You're right. It's a double standard. An NFL player gets in legal trouble and unless it's Michael Vick, no one cares. An NBA player does it and the whole league is Thug Life. Likewise when a baseball player tests positive for steroids it's a big deal whereas when an NFL player does it, no big deal.

GIDP
09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Im guessing she was drunk and acting like the skank she is and like a crazy woman she obviously is freaked out and exaggerated the story.

improbus
09-06-2009, 06:24 PM
You're right. It's a double standard. An NFL player gets in legal trouble and unless it's Michael Vick, no one cares. An NBA player does it and the whole league is Thug Life. Likewise when a baseball player tests positive for steroids it's a big deal whereas when an NFL player does it, no big deal.
People did care about Plax story as well as the Donte Stallworth story. But, if they were NBA players the league itself would be blamed and there would be a backlash against the game and the NBA. That simply hasn't happened w/ the NFL yet and I find the double standard to be sad.

reds1869
09-06-2009, 11:30 PM
People did care about Plax story as well as the Donte Stallworth story. But, if they were NBA players the league itself would be blamed and there would be a backlash against the game and the NBA. That simply hasn't happened w/ the NFL yet and I find the double standard to be sad.

I think a lot of the issue has to do with helmets and pads. That may sound dumb, but stick with me for a second. Basketball players are very visible on the court and we all know what they look like. Football players suit up in armor and unless they are a huge star most fans are unaware of what they look like. Even then, only hardcore fans could pick them out of a lineup. I think the otherworldly appearance of footballers makes them seem less connected to their off-field life.

improbus
09-07-2009, 07:40 AM
I think a lot of the issue has to do with helmets and pads. That may sound dumb, but stick with me for a second. Basketball players are very visible on the court and we all know what they look like. Football players suit up in armor and unless they are a huge star most fans are unaware of what they look like. Even then, only hardcore fans could pick them out of a lineup. I think the otherworldly appearance of footballers makes them seem less connected to their off-field life.

Agreed. It is also one of the reasons that I love the NBA. There is no sport with more visible personalities and more variety in playing style. Football is all about breaking you down into a mindless creature of habit, baseball is all about muscle memory and quick reflexes, but basketball requires a sense of creativity at all positions.

improbus
09-07-2009, 07:50 AM
The real reason that the NFL doesn't get the same image as the NBA is simple. Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer. The NFL has always had eloquent, classy, and most importantly, white superstars. White America doesn't have any great NBA players that they can identify with (except for Pacer fans).

GIDP
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
The real reason that the NFL doesn't get the same image as the NBA is simple. Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer. The NFL has always had eloquent, classy, and most importantly, white superstars. White America doesn't have any great NBA players that they can identify with (except for Pacer fans).

Stephen A Smith is that you?

Blimpie
09-07-2009, 10:08 AM
The NFL may have a better 'image' than the NBA, but that is not because pro football players are better citizens.

If you set aside players who have been guilty of pot-smoking and/or adultry, then the NFL has far more to worry about than the NBA.

The NFL has far more players who have been charged with violent felonies than does the NBA. If you examine the incidences of violence against women, I think the difference would even be more pronounced.

GIDP
09-07-2009, 10:10 AM
There is also like 4 times more players in the NFL

Joseph
09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Man I've never been more jealous....how I wish *I* could choke her.

;)

Hearing a little more of the story this morning, it seems she was examined and there were no signs of physical injury to her [again according to the report on the news I just heard].

Like wise he was arrested because she said he did it [which in these kinds of cases is unfortunately the right thing to do.] But that methodology leaves a lot to be desired and often paints innocent people as something they might not be.

reds1869
09-07-2009, 12:00 PM
This reminds me of one of my favorite images:

http://images7.cafepress.com/product/160038257v6_350x350_Front.jpg

improbus
09-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Stephen A Smith is that you?

I would have written it in all caps.

Highlifeman21
09-07-2009, 01:17 PM
When you date Tila Tequila, can you expect things to go anyway but the way they have?

PedroBourbon
09-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Isn't she like the size of a 10 year old child? How did he not kill her?

Joseph
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Isn't she like the size of a 10 year old child? How did he not kill her?

Cause he probably didn't do what she claims.

TeamSelig
09-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I just caught a glimpse of sportscenter and it said something to the effect that the Chargers have a team pact to not allow anyone to leave their house after drinking... he didn't want her to drive home. Apparently there were no marks on her.... sounds like she was mad because he wasn't going to let her drink and drive.

Chip R
09-07-2009, 05:35 PM
She should probably stick with chicks.

GAC
09-07-2009, 07:36 PM
She should probably stick with chicks.

They'd want to choke her too. ;)

If you're going to get mixed up with a woman like this, that is bisexual, aren't you inviting trouble in the relationship (not choking though)? Unless he's into that type of thing I guess.

GIDP
09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Shes a shomosexual.

RBA
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
They'd want to choke her too. ;)

If you're going to get mixed up with a woman like this, that is bisexual, aren't you inviting trouble in the relationship (not choking though)? Unless he's into that type of thing I guess.

Looks like alcohol had more to do with the situation than her being a bisexual.

Yachtzee
09-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Actually, if he were a Cincinnati Bengal, he'd be suspended already. I think the real double standard in the NFL is how certain teams get preferential treatment when it comes to off-the-field incidents while other teams are made example of and lambasted in the media for taking in guys with "character issues."

With regard to this case, I think the truth of the matter will be difficult to know just by reading the news. Unless you have access to the investigation reports by the police, it's hard to say who did what because attorneys on both sides are only going to give you the information they want you to hear.

redsfandan
09-09-2009, 11:00 PM
DA reviewing Merriman case
Associated Press
Updated: September 9, 2009, 8:05 PM ET
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4459772

SAN DIEGO -- The District Attorney's Office on Wednesday began reviewing accusations of domestic violence that reality TV star Tila Tequila brought against star linebacker Shawne Merriman of the San Diego Chargers.

The DA will review reports from the San Diego County Sheriff's Department and decide if the player known as "Lights Out" will be charged.

Merriman was arrested early Sunday after Tequila accused him of choking and throwing her to the ground while she was trying to leave his home in suburban Poway. Tequila signed a citizen's arrest warrant accusing Merriman of battery and false imprisonment. Both are felonies.

Spokesman Paul Levikow said the DA's office can charge Merriman, reject the accusations or refer them to the San Diego City Attorney's Office for consideration as misdemeanors.

Tequila, whose real name is Tila Nguyen, is best known for "A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila," which ran for two seasons on MTV. The bisexual dating show featured men and women vying for Tequila's affections. She has also modeled for Playboy and other men's magazines.

Merriman and his attorney, Todd Macaluso, have said they expect him to be vindicated. Merriman issued a statement Sunday denying wrongdoing and saying he was trying to keep Tequila from leaving his home because she appeared to be intoxicated.

"I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported," Merriman's statement read.

On Tuesday night, Tequila's attorney called Merriman's explanation "spin" and predicted it would be discredited.

"It is never justifiable to brutally assault, choke, strike and imprison a woman," attorney Alan S. Gutman wrote. "Once the truth is fully revealed, Mr. Merriman's fantastic story of how he was trying to keep Ms. Tequila safe will be completely discredited."

Gutman didn't return calls seeking comment Wednesday. Merriman and Macaluso said they had no further comment.

When Merriman bailed out of jail on Sunday, a court appearance was scheduled for next Tuesday. If no charges are filed, that appearance will be removed from the court calendar, Levikow said. If the DA's office hasn't decided by then, the appearance will be rescheduled.

Merriman is one of the NFL's hardest-hitting players, nicknamed "Lights Out" for his savage hits. There's a tattoo of a light switch on his right forearm that he pretends to flip while doing his spasmodic sack dance.

The three-time Pro Bowl selection has been getting back into shape after having season-ending knee surgery following the 2008 opener.

The Chargers open the 2009 season Monday night at Oakland.

GIDP
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
according to the story on PFT i was pretty impressed

Roy Tucker
09-10-2009, 12:25 PM
What a classy story :rolleyes:

Chip R
09-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Good news for Merriman. Apparently the S.D. DA has decided that Tila Tequila's story really wasn't credible enough.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4466257