PDA

View Full Version : UC Football 2009 Season

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Chip R
11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Kirk Herbstreit, Brent Musberger and Erin Andrews will be at the game from what I hear.

1 out of 3 ain't bad. ;)

Cyclone792
11-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Not that I didn't expect Saturday night's game to sell out, but this is good to hear ...

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110209aaa.html

Saturday Night Showdown Between UC-UConn Nearing Sellout

Only tickets returned from UConn Ticket Office remain on sale for BIG EAST matchup

Nov. 2, 2009

CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati Athletics Ticket Office is offering a limited number of lower level seats to Saturday night’s Bearcats home football game with the Connecticut Huskies. The game is slated to kick off at 8 p.m. The tickets are located directly behind the visiting team bench and were returned from the allotment of visiting team tickets.

The tickets are priced at $42 per seat for adults and $25 for kids 12 & under.

Tickets are available online at www.CATSTIX.com, in person at the UC Athletics Ticket Office in Lindner Center or via telephone at 1-877-CATS-TIX (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.).

Student tickets for the UC-West Virginia game on Friday, November 13 will be available Tuesday morning, November 3 beginning at 8 a.m. Due to popular demand it is expected that this allotment will be exhausted quickly. UC Athletics advises students planning to attend the game to make arrangements to pick up these tickets first thing on Nov. 3. All student tickets for the UC-UConn game have been distributed.

For a complete summary of all UC Student Ticketing Policies please click here (http://www.gobearcats.com/tickets/cinn-tickets-student.html).

bucksfan2
11-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Kelly has done one heck of a job selling tickets for Bearcats games. It is a welcome surprise from the days in which High School games used to draw better than the Bearcats.

While I think $42 for a ticket is a little steep, its nice to see UC sell all of their allotted tickets for the game. It would be nice to see UC give those tickets to youth football organizations in order to build local, young support for UC football.

Highlifeman21
11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Wait, you mean the Huskies aren't going to travel well to watch Zack Frazier stink up the joint?

AccordinglyReds
11-03-2009, 12:25 PM
The UC-WV student tickets sold out in about an hour. I'm planning on heading home that weekend, but I checked around 9:15am (went on sale at 8am) and they were sold out....

Have a ticket for the Connecticut game, though. :)

NorrisHopper30
11-03-2009, 03:00 PM
The UC-WV student tickets sold out in about an hour. I'm planning on heading home that weekend, but I checked around 9:15am (went on sale at 8am) and they were sold out....

Have a ticket for the Connecticut game, though. :)

I heard they sold out in 10 minutes.

Cyclone792
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
The UC/Connecticut game is now officially sold out.

With the UC/West Virginia game having been sold out for over a month now, that leaves the Illinois game on Friday, November 27th as the only game with tickets still available. That means if you want to get to a game, don't yet have tickets and don't want to pay out the nose above face value on eBay or StubHub, you might want to look at picking up tickets to the Illinois game pretty soon.

BearcatShane
11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Kelly has done one heck of a job selling tickets for Bearcats games. It is a welcome surprise from the days in which High School games used to draw better than the Bearcats.

While I think $42 for a ticket is a little steep, its nice to see UC sell all of their allotted tickets for the game. It would be nice to see UC give those tickets to youth football organizations in order to build local, young support for UC football.

Ha, this is a deal. Regular tickets are 56 bucks.

AccordinglyReds
11-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I heard they sold out in 10 minutes.

:eek:

paintmered
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
UCONN returned 2400 tickets. Assuming all went for $42, that's over $100K in UC's pocket.

BearcatShane
11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
UCONN returned 2400 tickets. Assuming all went for $42, that's over $100K in UC's pocket.

Is it a rule you have to give the visiting team 3,000 tickets?

paintmered
11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Is it a rule you have to give the visiting team 3,000 tickets?

I'm not sure how many tickets they have to allocate to the opposing team but 3,000 sounds like a fair guess. Visitors are allocated all of sections 126 and 127 plus the bottom 10 rows of sections 119-125 (the limited visibility seats that got returned).

Cyclone792
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
UC football is now sold out for the season. There's also an interesting nugget in there about 2009 bowl priority credits being allocated to people who put down deposits now for 2010 season tickets.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110409aaa.html

Football Tickets For Remaining Home Games Sold Out

Nov. 4, 2009

CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics has announced that tickets to the upcoming home football games against Connecticut (11/7) and Illinois (11/27) are both SOLD OUT. The game set for Friday, November 13 against West Virginia was previously announced as a sellout, as was the last home game two weeks ago vs. Louisville.

"There is nothing like the environment of Nippert Stadium," head coach Brian Kelly said. "I am excited that once again our fans have answered the call to Come Early, Be Loud and Wear Black. Our season has gotten off to a great start, including wins in five road games. To be able to come home for three straight contests during the stretch run of the BIG EAST Championship chase will be a welcome sight for our team. We represent Cincinnati on and off the field and look forward to getting back out there this Saturday night against UConn and making our City proud."

Director of Athletics Mike Thomas echoed that excitement.

"With four sellout crowds this season the Cincinnati community has left no doubt that they are behind our student-athletes, coaches, and the University as a whole," Thomas said. "It's a great time to be a Bearcat and I look forward to seeing Nippert Stadium filled with excitement with three big games here in November."

In response to a record demand for season tickets, the University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics has begun taking $50 deposits for 2010 Bearcats football season tickets. The $50 deposits can be made online now, exclusively at www.CATSTIX.com.

Along with being guaranteed a 2010 season ticket, patrons who purchase the deposits will also be placed in the priority system for eligibility to purchase 2009 UC Bowl tickets for the upcoming postseason.

Current 2009 Season Ticket patrons do not need to purchase deposits as you are already first-rite of renewal on your 2010 season tickets as well as credits for 2009 bowl tickets.

The 2010 home schedule will feature seven-games, including a matchup with Oklahoma at Paul Brown Stadium. Six games are scheduled for Nippert Stadium, including BIG EAST matchups against South Florida, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh and non-league games against Indiana State and Miami (OH).

Game dates and kickoff times are yet to be determined. A full schedule will be announced in the Spring.

Ticket renewal forms for current season tickets holders will be mailed out in January 2010 along with a complete schedule of deadlines for season ticket deposits, ticket payments, UCATS pledges, and 2010 football seat improvement requests. The UC Spring Football Game, BEARCAT BOWL IV, is scheduled for Saturday, April 24, 2010 at Nippert Stadium and will be the grand finale of the annual UC Football Letterman's Weekend.

SeeinRed
11-06-2009, 09:25 AM
FWIW, BK says Pike had a good practice yesterday and will dress for the game on Saturday.

Cyclone792
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
FWIW, BK says Pike had a good practice yesterday and will dress for the game on Saturday.

Good to hear. It sounds like Pike could probably play, but that UC wants to be cautious and try to give him another week. My guess is if Collaros plays well and UC has the game in control, Pike remains on the bench. But if Collaros struggles and the offense needs a jolt in order to secure a victory, then we could see Pike.

Either way, I'm expecting Pike to start next Friday night against West Virginia.

dougdirt
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Just got my ticket for tomorrow nights game. Can't wait.

Caveat Emperor
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Good to hear. It sounds like Pike could probably play, but that UC wants to be cautious and try to give him another week. My guess is if Collaros plays well and UC has the game in control, Pike remains on the bench. But if Collaros struggles and the offense needs a jolt in order to secure a victory, then we could see Pike.

I think Pike will also play if the 'Cats get up by 2 or 3 scores in the second half. BK might give him some snaps just so that he isn't going into the WVU game without having seen live-game action in almost a month.

bucksfan2
11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I think Pike will also play if the 'Cats get up by 2 or 3 scores in the second half. BK might give him some snaps just so that he isn't going into the WVU game without having seen live-game action in almost a month.

If Pike plays, he starts. I wouldn't do it vice verse. It wouldn't make much sense to me to throw a rusty QB into a tight game in the 2nd half. If he is healthy he should play, if he doesn't start he shouldn't play.

SeeinRed
11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
If Pike plays, he starts. I wouldn't do it vice verse. It wouldn't make much sense to me to throw a rusty QB into a tight game in the 2nd half. If he is healthy he should play, if he doesn't start he shouldn't play.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think Pike needs the game time snaps as much as he would've at this point last year. I wouldn't risk it if he isn't healthy enough to start. Let him heal until next week. I can see your point though Caveat and I wouldn't be too upset if Pike did get some reps, especially if Collaros struggles.

joshnky
11-07-2009, 01:34 PM
BK might give him some snaps just so that he isn't going into the WVU game without having seen live-game action in almost a month.

I don't think you have to worry much about West Virginia. Louisville has played them tough during the first half today and really, neither Brown nor Devine have looked all that impressive. Devine will kill you if he gets to the second level but if Louisville (and USF last week) can keep him from doing that, then surely UC will. Otherwise, this is a team that is living off the name that Slaton, White and Rodriguez built for them over the past five years.

That being said, in reference to the Louisville game today, I fully expect Louisville's lack of depth to be a factor as the game goes on allowing some big plays to Devine and WVU.

gilpdawg
11-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Iowa just lost, so there's another help for UC.

Brutus
11-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Iowa just lost, so there's another help for UC.

Basically it comes down to Cincinnati winning their games and getting either Texas to lose, or both Alabama and Florida to lose once (even then, the SEC 1-loss team may stay ahead of Cincinnati, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with it).

Matt700wlw
11-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Alabama is down at the half...not by much, but that could be HUGE if LSU can pull the upset, and UC of course, takes care of business tonight.

Redsfan320
11-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm psyched about the UC- Conn game tonight. This team's been so good.
For those who don't know, the game is on ABC and, of course, 700WLW.
Have fun at the game, Doug.

Reds Fanatic
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
UC with a 30-10 halftime lead. Collaros with 333 passing yards in the 1st half.

Chip R
11-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Not really impressed with UC's defense tonight. UConn failed a 2 point conversion and is only down by 2.

Reds4Life
11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
UC pulled it out, but there is only 1 word to describe putting up over 700 yards of offense and only winning by 2 point. PATHETIC.

One of the worst defensive performances I've seen in a long time. The total collapse in the second half was simply stunning.

BearcatShane
11-08-2009, 12:21 AM
UC pulled it out, but there is only 1 word to describe putting up over 700 yards of offense and only winning by 2 point. PATHETIC.

One of the worst defensive performances I've seen in a long time. The total collapse in the second half was simply stunning.

9-0. The collapse was concerning though.

NatiRedGals
11-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Kelly said it defence always had our offences back. Tonight the offence had theres. Idk why this happened. But if this were any other year we wouldnt have still won. Players know it CTrent said players werent happy after they were punching themselves in the back. Thats a true champion move. Need to rebound quick WVU wont go away easy.

NatiRedGals
11-08-2009, 12:28 AM
In other news #Bearcats coach Kelly said there is now a qb competition between pike and collaros. I still see Pike as #1 but hea also respecting Zach and not just saying Pikes back move out.

Cyclone792
11-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Just got back from the game. The atmosphere was electric, probably moreso than the Pittsburgh game last year.

As for the game, there's that saying that a win is a win. But at the same time, the defensive performance in the 2nd half tonight was absolutely embarrassing. If people believe in those so-called wake up games, then hopefully the second half tonight provides that wake up call.

UC cannot play as poorly defensively against West Virginia as they did tonight, otherwise they'll find themselves losing Friday night.

Caveat Emperor
11-08-2009, 01:33 AM
I was at the game as well -- it felt like a loss walking out of the stadium, somehow. This reminded me of those Bengals games from a few years back, where everything was a track meet and the defense couldn't do anything to hold a lead (no matter the size).

No turnovers forced hurts, poor special teams play hurts even moreso, and an almost dogmatic opposition to blitzing, even in obvious passing situations hurts as well.

Big questions now:

1. Can this team get right defensively on a short week with WVU coming to town?
2. Does Pike go to the bench until Collaros cools off?

Cyclone792
11-08-2009, 01:50 AM
For what it's worth, Fresno State just picked up a nice road win at Idaho. Mixed in with Oregon State's big time win at California and the Illinois win at Minnesota, and UC's non-conference schedule came through very nicely today.

Matt700wlw
11-08-2009, 02:32 AM
UC SHOULD be #4 in the BCS come Monday. However, that may not happen with Boise St. and TCU winning big this weekend.

The Bearcats squeaked out a win, but at last check, Alabama and Florida have had their scares as well. UC still, in the big picture, has pretty much rolled everybody they've played until tonight.

It's up to the computer, I guess.

BearcatShane
11-08-2009, 03:05 AM
I refuse to get to upset over a win. We won. Were 9-0. This is more of the exception than the rule for this defense.

GAC
11-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Well..... if one likes offense, then the UC-Connecticut and Oregon-Stanford games were right up your alley.

Eric_the_Red
11-08-2009, 08:26 AM
The Pike/Collaros question will be an interesting one for Kelly. I think Pike is a more polished passer, but Collaros is better at making plays, especially on broken ones, and his running ability is huge. With the spread offense there will frequently be lanes for him to gain 10-20 yards or more at a time.

I think they both deserve to play, but I'd stick with Pike. He has more game experience and this was "his" team. Either way, I feel comfortable with the offense.

will5979
11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Need to rebound quick WVU wont go away easy.

I'll be the first to say it, yes we will. We suck this year and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. I predicted WVU to go 10-2 with at least a share of the Big East crown, but this new coaching staff, along with our horrid dumb QB, has ruined our program. Congrats, you guys will beat us by at least 3 TDs, and you'll be BE champs. Enjoy the game...Cincy-38-WVU-14

Caveat Emperor
11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
The Pike/Collaros question will be an interesting one for Kelly. I think Pike is a more polished passer, but Collaros is better at making plays, especially on broken ones, and his running ability is huge. With the spread offense there will frequently be lanes for him to gain 10-20 yards or more at a time.

If they do stick with Collaros another weekend, I hope they stop calling designed QB runs on 2nd or 3rd and short. They've been getting stuffed routinely for the past couple weeks.

GIDP
11-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Well if you dont have complaints about the BCS you will after today

NorrisHopper30
11-08-2009, 04:51 PM
WVU has a nice rush offense, but they don't have a big O-line that'll shove us around like UCONN did. I am comfortable about this game because of that and WVU has a really weak defensive backfield.

BearcatShane
11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
#5 in every major poll. TCU jumped us but if UC and TCU both win out, UC will eventually jump back over them because of our remaining strength of schedule.

Boston Red
11-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Illinois's resurgence is going to help UC big time, especially if Clemson wins out (which seems likely). Then again, it also means that Illinois is going to be tough to beat, which no one would have guessed two weeks ago.

paintmered
11-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Illinois's resurgence is going to help UC big time, especially if Clemson wins out (which seems likely). Then again, it also means that Illinois is going to be tough to beat, which no one would have guessed two weeks ago.

Illinois looks to be a classic trap game at this point. They're starting to get things figured out. As a UC fan, I'd much rather have had them on the schedule in September than November.

Much like UCONN, don't let that record fool you.

Boston Red
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
So who's going to pull the rabbit out of the hat and beat Texas? Nebraska?

BearcatShane
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Illinois looks to be a classic trap game at this point. They're starting to get things figured out. As a UC fan, I'd much rather have had them on the schedule in September than November.

Much like UCONN, don't let that record fool you.

After the defensive performance vs UConn, I would think Kelly would have them extra focused against Illinois. I hope that game is at night.

GAC
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
So who's going to pull the rabbit out of the hat and beat Texas? Nebraska?

Nobody in the Big 12 is gonna stop Texas IMO. They have 4-5 Baylor, and then 5-4 Texas A&M left. They'll kill them.

Nebraska has a chance to win the Big 12 North if they can beat Kansas State in their last game of the season. I don't see it happening though.

Regardless, the Big 12 is Texas' IMO.

Caveat Emperor
11-08-2009, 08:15 PM
#5 in every major poll. TCU jumped us but if UC and TCU both win out, UC will eventually jump back over them because of our remaining strength of schedule.

It's all academic unless Texas loses. Until that happens, BCS rankings are pretty irrelevant to the top couple "outside looking in" teams.

I'm not worried about TCU. I'd sooner expect a 16 seed to go to the final four in hoops than a non-BCS member school to make the national title game.

BearcatShane
11-09-2009, 12:17 AM
It's all academic unless Texas loses. Until that happens, BCS rankings are pretty irrelevant to the top couple "outside looking in" teams.

I'm not worried about TCU. I'd sooner expect a 16 seed to go to the final four in hoops than a non-BCS member school to make the national title game.

I know the probability that UC plays in the title game is very low. But hey, there's still a chance. Here's a few things that can happen: Florida could lose at South Carolina this week. Florida is very good but playing at South Carolina will not be a cakewalk. Hopefully the game is at night. Alabama plays at Auburn in the heated "Iron Bowl" to end the year. Alabama is solid but going to Auburn is never easy. Texas has to play in the Big 12 Championship game. Yes, the opponet will be a huge underdog but a trip to the BCS would be huge motivation and I'v been on this earth long enough to know that anything can happen. Hopefully they get Nebraska and their defense can contain the Longhorns. What I hope to see happen is have one of the SEC teams lose in the regular season and have that team beat the potential undefeated team in the SEC Championship game. That would throw a big ole wrench into the BCS. I realize the chances of these things happening are very low but their not totally out of the realm ofpossibility in my opinion.

SunDeck
11-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I'll take UC at #5. If their defense had shown better against UConn and wouldn't have let them back in the game, then there's a more legitimate reason to think they are a real national championship caliber team. Granted, this team is wicked good, with (IMO) the best offense in the country, but the defense has shown a nagging inability to stop the run. All in all, this has been a dream season for Cats fans and I hope we don't all get disappointed if the team is not seriously considered for a chance at the NC at the end of the year.

Unless there are some losses above, in which case never mind this post!

SeeinRed
11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Computers are liking Texas less and less FWIW. Not saying it will matter, but UC is 3rd in the computer rankings. Very exciting times for UC football. UC's defense has been good until Saturday. I'm not that worried about them. They did pick a bad week to take the 2nd half off with the national spotlight on them. All it is going to do is give people more of a reason to not believe in them. It should give them more motivation going forward though.

Gotta win the last 3 games. Can't worry about rankings until those games are over.

Slyder
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Please score 60 on us. I want Stu gone, he is an unqualified moron!

No more good ole boys as Head Coach.

Bring on Skip Holtz!

Sea Ray
11-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I think they both deserve to play, but I'd stick with Pike. He has more game experience and this was "his" team. Either way, I feel comfortable with the offense.

I don't see it that Pike is the more polished passer. Just look at Collaros' numbers. He went 29-37 480 yards vs U Conn. Pike's never thrown for that many yards. Due to his height, Pike is a better pro prospect but Collaros is a better college QB.

If I'm Kelly I stick with Collaros. It's a big controversy I know but in reality, this team will go as far as its defense takes it. The D is not what it was last year and we've seen it get overpowered twice (Fresno and U Conn). I think it's unlikely they can beat both WVa and Pitt but I'd love to be wrong.

Sea Ray
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM
All in all, this has been a dream season for Cats fans and I hope we don't all get disappointed if the team is not seriously considered for a chance at the NC at the end of the year.

UC will be just fine if they keep winning. I worry more about them dropping a game and not being in the BCS at all.

Roy Tucker
11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Collaros reminds me a bit of Steve Young. Excellent runner who can run and buy time to get a lot of throwing yards as guys come open late. But he rarely looks very pretty doing it. Pike is more the pure pocket passer.

And heck, I thought Chazz Anderson was a better QB than either one.

Caveat Emperor
11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Collaros reminds me a bit of Steve Young. Excellent runner who can run and buy time to get a lot of throwing yards as guys come open late. But he rarely looks very pretty doing it. Pike is more the pure pocket passer.

Collaros has looked so dominant that you almost get the feeling that the other shoe has to drop at some point. He's played 3 games of virtually mistake-free football. The numbers he put up aganist UConn are numbers I'd struggle to replicate on the Xbox.

But, at the same time, he's shredded three *very* mediocre defenses. I think, as the going gets tough, the guy you want behind center is Tony Pike. He's the guy with the big-game experience, and he's the guy I want with the game on the line in a hostile environment (like @Pitt).

BTW -- Zach Collaros should be consulting voodoo priests to cast spells and do whatever is necessary to keep Brian Kelly in Clifton next year. With the talent the offense is returning (and adding, with the USC transfer at WR), Collaros has a chance to put up some truly gaudy numbers next season.

Sea Ray
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I keep Zach in there. If the defenses get tougher then all the more reason due to his ability to scramble

Brutus
11-09-2009, 05:00 PM

And heck, I thought Chazz Anderson was a better QB than either one.

I see Jake Plummer when I watch Collaros.

Sea Ray
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Except we haven't seen the INTs yet

Brutus
11-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Except we haven't seen the INTs yet

I meant the Arizona State version :cool:

camisadelgolf
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Jeez, the thought of Collaros throwing to Hazelton really has me excited. It's going to take something huge to stop the Bearcats from winning another Big East championship.

BearcatShane
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM

I see Eric Crouch.

Sea Ray
11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Jeez, the thought of Collaros throwing to Hazelton really has me excited. It's going to take something huge to stop the Bearcats from winning another Big East championship.

I don't know about that. Granted, it'll be a month before UC plays Pitt but if Pitt runs the table, they'll likely be favored to beat UC since the game's at Pitt. In other words UC will need to pull off an upset to win the Big East.

Like UC Pitt has a tough month ahead. They play Notre Dame this week and then they play W Va.

UC does not have an easy road to hoe but if they do win them all, they deserve NC game consideration

BearcatShane
11-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't know about that. Granted, it'll be a month before UC plays Pitt but if Pitt runs the table, they'll likely be favored to beat UC since the game's at Pitt. In other words UC will need to pull off an upset to win the Big East.

Like UC Pitt has a tough month ahead. They play Notre Dame this week and then they play W Va.

UC does not have an easy road to hoe but if they do win them all, they deserve NC game consideration

UC will probably be a slight underdog at Pitt but I doubt if the Bearcats win it'll be considered an upset. Heck, as long as UC wins the next 2 games they'll still be ranked higher.

BearcatShane
11-09-2009, 08:42 PM

I really, really hope BK sticks around. If he does UC will have Collaros, Binns, Woods, Hazelton, Pead and three returning offensive linemn next year. The offense has a chance to be even better next year. Gilyard is great but he only runs a few different routes. D.J. Woods is going to be a great wide reciever, he's so smooth. And the defense returns around 7-9 starters. It's not a longshot to think Collaros will draw preseason Heisman consideration and UC could be ranked in the top 10. Most of this depends on if BK sticks around though.

Homer Bailey
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I really, really hope BK sticks around. If he does UC will have Collaros, Binns, Woods, Hazelton, Pead and three returning offensive linemn next year. The offense has a chance to be even better next year. Gilyard is great but he only runs a few different routes. D.J. Woods is going to be a great wide reciever, he's so smooth. And the defense returns around 7-9 starters. It's not a longshot to think Collaros will draw preseason Heisman consideration and UC could be ranked in the top 10. Most of this depends on if BK sticks around though.

BK is wayyyy gone my friend.

Tony Cloninger
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
How would you know he is wayyyy gone?

Redlegs212
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I really dont think BK is already gone.. I have a feeling ND will go after Gruden before Kelly

NorrisHopper30
11-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I really dont think BK is already gone.. I have a feeling ND will go after Gruden before Kelly

1. Urban Meyer
2. Brian Kelly

bucksfan2
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
1. Urban Meyer
2. Brian Kelly

I don't think Kelly right now is #2 on their list. While I think Kelly is a great fit for UC, I don't know about ND. I truly wonder how his style will fit in at a school like ND. Right now I think the list looks like this.

1. Urban Meyer
2. Jon Gruden
3. Brian Kelly

Two names that I think you may see enter the equation are Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern and Les Miles. Fitzgerald comes from NW who has similar academic requirements and he puts a team on the field that is competitive. Miles is a Midwesterner who has had some success at LSU. I don't think he is a great X's and O's coach, but his recruiting ties in the south may be a bonus.

HeatherC1212
11-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I am not so sure about this game tonight. The Bearcats really need to play better and not give points away (missed short FG and a fumble that led to WV points) or else this game is going to be their worst game of the year. The defense needs to step up their game but the offense needs to stay on the field too. :eek:

CTA513
11-13-2009, 09:02 PM
The Bearcats have to clean up the sloppy play if they want to win.

Puffy
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Wow, Cincinnati got lucky there. I don't know how they overturn that and rule it a touch. It didn't look indisputable so as to overturn.

Its better to be lucky than good sometimes though!

OSUredsFAN
11-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow, Cincinnati got lucky there. I don't know how they overturn that and rule it a touch. It didn't look indisputable so as to overturn.

Its better to be lucky than good sometimes though!

I agree, how was that overturned!?!

CTA513
11-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Really sloppy 1st half of football for UC.

HeatherC1212
11-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I think the Bearcats got a HUGE scare tonight but they rallied and pulled off the win in the end. I hope their last two games aren't this stressful. I had to turn the game off at halftime. I was just checking the score up until about ten minutes ago. :eek:

jimbo
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I really have my doubts on instant replay after this game. I don't like being all conspiracy theory on anything, but that overturned fumble reeks of it.

WVRed
11-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I really have my doubts on instant replay after this game. I don't like being all conspiracy theory on anything, but that overturned fumble reeks of it.

I am not a WVU fan by any means (was actually pulling for UC tonight), but after watching the replay of that fumble, it was obvious there was some home cooking going on in Cincinnati. Horrible call.:thumbdown

BearcatShane
11-14-2009, 01:31 AM
I am not a WVU fan by any means (was actually pulling for UC tonight), but after watching the replay of that fumble, it was obvious there was some home cooking going on in Cincinnati. Horrible call.:thumbdown

I talked to a guy before the game and he informed me UC's athletic director Mike Thomas met up with the officiating crew on Wednesday night at Skyline Chili and gave the crew 8,000 dollars to "bribe" them to give UC any close calls. Well thank goodness Thomas did that or else UC may have lost the game.

BearcatShane
11-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Games of interest tomorrow:

#1Florida at South Carolina- The atmosphere should be electric in Columbia as Steve Spurrier looks to knock of his former team and hinder their National Championship hopes. 3:30 PM on CBS.

#2Alabama at Miss State- Again, the atmosphere should be outstanding in Starksville as Miss State looks for the giant upset. Miss State was right in the game when they played Florida until some questionable calls by the refs ultimately did them in. 7:00 on ESPN.

#3Texas at Baylor- On paper this should be an easy Texas win, but the games are not played on paper. The Baylor football team will be ready and hopefully they play an emotional game and have a chance to win. Even if they keep is close hopefully that hurts Texas with the human voters.

Utah at TCU- I'm pretty confident that if UC and TCU both win out that UC will pass TCU because of our strength of Schedule. But just in case, go UTES!

Northwestern at Illinois- An Illinois win doesn't to a ton for a potential Bearcat win over the Illini but a win over a 4-6 Illini looks better than a win over a 3-7 Illini.

Notre Dame at Pittsburgh- Everyone knows the one reason to root for Notre Dame, but screw it, if Kelly wants to go there lets just get it out of the way and get Butch Jones in here as soon as possible. Go Pittsburgh, if UC can somehow win at Heindz Field on December 5th over a top 10 Pittsburgh team, that would be HUGE and depending on some other teams performances could push the Bearcats into the National Championship Game. Go Panthers. 8:00 on ABC.

Fresno State at Neveda- UC can use all the help it can get in the Strength of Schedule category.

Washington at Oregon State- See above.

Georgia Tech at Duke- No one is talking about GT but they are ranked number 7 in the nation. I don't see them as a serious threat but ya never know. Duke really isn't that bad either. It could happen.

Idaho at Boise State- See TCU.

Well there ya have it folks, I think a few of these have a realistic shot at happening.

BearcatShane
11-14-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm going to bed, but just for the record I was kidding about the Mike Thomas paying off the refs comment.

Matt700wlw
11-14-2009, 02:50 AM
GO UTAH!

TCU is flat out annoying me at this point. Hopefully they lose and finally go away.

:D

dabvu2498
11-14-2009, 06:23 AM
#2Alabama at Miss State- Again, the atmosphere should be outstanding in Starksville as Miss State looks for the giant upset.

You mean with all the Bama fans that will be there?

joshnky
11-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Well there ya have it folks, I think a few of these have a realistic shot at happening.

The way UC has played of late I don't think it will matter. Struggling against two mediocre teams on national TV will cause voters to sour on you quick (as several articles today suggest). Additionally, Pitt is much better than both WVU and UConn so a game that I thought UC would win now looks very difficult.

Sea Ray
11-14-2009, 10:13 AM
The way UC has played of late I don't think it will matter. Struggling against two mediocre teams on national TV will cause voters to sour on you quick (as several articles today suggest). Additionally, Pitt is much better than both WVU and UConn so a game that I thought UC would win now looks very difficult.

W Va is not a mediocre team. They are a perrenial powerhouse in the Big East, nationally ranked as of today, and would have been on track for a Big East championship if yesterday's game had gone their way.

I am concerned with UC's defense. Championship defenses shut down the run and this one can't seem to do that. If they can't shut down the run then they'd better get turnovers. The offense is out of this world no matter who QB's them but this defense will determine how far they go. I forsee another close one in two weeks with Illinois and then I believe they'll have to pull off the upset to beat Pitt. I think they'll have to win the turnover battle in order to win at Pittsburgh

As creative as the offense is the D seems to be very vanilla. I saw very few blitzes. I'd like to see some creative blitz packages installed in the off week to use against Ill and Pitt

GIDP
11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Struggling and winning against teams you should beat seems to only be brought up when a non SEC team does it. :rolleyes:

joshnky
11-14-2009, 10:20 AM
W Va is not a mediocre team. They are a perrenial powerhouse in the Big East, nationally ranked as of today, and would have been on track for a Big East championship if yesterday's game had gone their way.

I watched them almost lose at home to a Louisville team playing its third string walk-on QB and third string running back. I was being generous when I said mediocre. They are ranked based on their name only not on their success this season. They've lost to the only decent teams they've played this season (the best record of the teams they've beaten is 5-4 ECU) and they will most likely be underdogs in their last two games as well. Even the die-hard WVU fans in this thread have stated the same thing.

SeeinRed
11-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I watched them almost lose at home to a Louisville team playing its third string walk-on QB and third string running back. I was being generous when I said mediocre. They are ranked based on their name only not on their success this season. They've lost to the only decent teams they've played this season (the best record of the teams they've beaten is 5-4 ECU) and they will most likely be underdogs in their last two games as well. Even the die-hard WVU fans in this thread have stated the same thing.

There was a little bit more intensity on the part of WVU agains Cincinnati than against L'ville. UC beat them last year in Morgantown in a close and hard fought victory. WVU wanted revenge. WVU executed their game plan to near perfection. UC played their sloppiest game of the year. The UC team that showed up last night was not as focused as they usually are.

I think last night was proof that Pike is still not healty. If he was, I don't know how you don't run him out there in the second half when the offense was sputtering. UC is a much better team than they played like last night, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Chip R
11-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Struggling and winning against teams you should beat seems to only be brought up when a non SEC team does it. :rolleyes:

That's a fair point. Florida barely beat the Mississippis and they are still at the top of the rankings. LSU loses to Bama and they go up in the rankings.

dabvu2498
11-14-2009, 11:37 AM
That's a fair point. Florida barely beat the Mississippis and they are still at the top of the rankings. LSU loses to Bama and they go up in the rankings.

Florida didn't play Ole Miss. But they did beat Miss St., by 10, on the road, not by 2 or 3, at home.

Reds4Life
11-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Florida didn't play Ole Miss. But they did beat Miss St., by 10, on the road, not by 2 or 3, at home.

Florida only beat Arkansas, who was unranked, by 3. Alabama needed a blocked last second field goal to avoid losing to Tenessee. When those teams do it they "know how to win tough games". When others teams do the same thing it's because they suck and don't belong, according to the national media.

paintmered
11-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Florida only beat Arkansas, who was unranked, by 3. Alabama needed a blocked last second field goal to avoid losing to Tenessee. When those teams do it they "know how to win tough games". When others teams do the same thing it's because they suck and don't belong, according to the national media.

Shoot, before Iowa lost that's all we heard about. "They're scrappy. They can face adversity. This makes them a better team than if they were blowing out everyone (like Cincy at the time)." The media is trying to have it both ways and they're getting away with it.

Fact of the matter is, UC made some significant mistakes last night for the first time this season and beat a good team. All teams will have to fight through that at some point in the season, no matter how good or bad. It's a testament to Brian Kelly that they hadn't had the mistake-filled game until the 10th game of the season.

dabvu2498
11-14-2009, 01:17 PM

There's been plenty of talk about Florida, particularly Tebow's "struggles."

Caveat Emperor
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
There's been plenty of talk about Florida, particularly Tebow's "struggles."

Yeah, but the suggestion was made that such "struggles" should weigh in the minds of the voters for UC when it clearly hasn't for Florida (who looked awful for a stretch of games), Alabama (who couldn't score as many points as Ohio University did against Tenn), Texas (who had a QB playing like an interception machine for the first half of the season), and Iowa (who epitomized the "never playing pretty, but winning" philosophy).

If UC gets docked for an ugly win v. a Top-25 team, it'll be straight-up hypocrisy.

BearcatShane
11-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Were not a non BCS school. We don't need style points. WVU is a solid team with great athletes. Just win.

dabvu2498
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, but the suggestion was made that such "struggles" should weigh in the minds of the voters for UC when it clearly hasn't for Florida (who looked awful for a stretch of games), Alabama (who couldn't score as many points as Ohio University did against Tenn), Texas (who had a QB playing like an interception machine for the first half of the season), and Iowa (who epitomized the "never playing pretty, but winning" philosophy).

If UC gets docked for an ugly win v. a Top-25 team, it'll be straight-up hypocrisy.

OK, we went from "national media" to poll voters.

BTW, Florida was docked points in the polls after the Arky and Miss St. games, just not enough to leave the number 1 spot, but still a decrease.

joshnky
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Texas (who had a QB playing like an interception machine for the first half of the season)

Texas is earning there style points today. They're beating Baylor 40-0 at halftime. The same Baylor team that UConn struggled to beat. The same UConn team that nearly beat UC.

The fact is that UC started the season unranked while Texas and Florida started 1-2. Texas and Florida can get by without style points but UC is going to need them if they want to overtake a one loss Florida or Alabama at the end of the season. It might be ridiculous but that's the way it works when there is a human element involved.

Cyclone792
11-14-2009, 02:37 PM
A few other games of somewhat interest for UC ...

Missouri is beating Kansas State 17-9 in the 3rd quarter, and Nebraska plays at Kansas this afternoon. If any B12 North team has a shot to beat Texas in the B12 Championship, it's probably Nebraska. Texas would blow Kansas State out of the stadium, but Nebraska could hang with the Longhorns.

Nebraska is a team that has beaten Oklahoma and nearly beat Virginia Tech so they've got the talent. Of course, they've also lost games they shouldn't have lost. Nevertheless, I'm rooting for Nebraska to win the B12 North since I believe they've got the best shot of any B12 North teams to beat Texas.

dougdirt
11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Texas is earning there style points today. They're beating Baylor 40-0 at halftime. The same Baylor team that UConn struggled to beat. The same UConn team that nearly beat UC.

You can't really play that game though. Cincinnati shut out Rutgers by 35. Rutgers beat South Florida by 31. Cincinnati should have beat South Florida by 66. Well they actually won 34-17.

GAC
11-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Arguing over "Well this team only beat so-and-so by this much, struggled against this team, and really had a hard time with this team", or even trying to "strain at a knat" over SoS -in which all teams have weakness in their schedule - is all moot IMHO. When you are a good team you have a target painted on your back. And that means there is greater pressure on you then your opposition. But in the end, good teams find ways to win when they have to, even when a mediocre team rises to the occasion on that day. And the Bearcats are a darn good football team.... PERIOD!

The W. Virginia game was a test for the Bearcats. They passed it. I don't care how close the score was, or how some think it should have been greater, whatever. Their biggest test, IMHO, will come during the last game of the season at #12 Pittsburgh. But Pitt also has to travel to W. Virginia to face the Mountaineers on 11/27. So there is plenty of good football coming up.

Boston Red
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I assume TCU will get a nice bump over UC in the human polls today. However, I think Pitt's win over ND pretty much seals UC's ability to jump back in front with wins over Illinois (watch out) and Pitt.

will5979
11-15-2009, 12:03 PM

No you're right, we ARE a mediorce team, one of the worst I've seen in years. Our QB doesn't make good decisions, and to be blunt our coach is a Gomer Pyle moron. He is ruining our program and needs to be fired...wish we had someone like Brian Kelly.

And I don't blame the replay touchdown for us losing the other night...our stupid arse coach should have kicked a FG on the 4th and 8 and the last TD would have sent the game into OT. Granted that is not a gauranteed victory but be honest and tell me how many of you Bearcat were asking yourself why is WVU going for it here when they can kick a FG?

Congrats on the win.

BearcatShane
11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I assume TCU will get a nice bump over UC in the human polls today. However, I think Pitt's win over ND pretty much seals UC's ability to jump back in front with wins over Illinois (watch out) and Pitt.

No reason to be scared of Illinois at all. Your not the first person to suggest this either. UC will steamroll them.

NorrisHopper30
11-15-2009, 02:34 PM
10-0, that's all you need to know. At this point I don't even care what bowl game we get into, because if we go undefeated we'll be in a BCS bowl game..and if we lose to Pitt...car care bowl here we come. Screw the rankings, I want to go to Pasadena, New Orleans, Arizona or Miami..not North Carolina.

BearcatShane
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
10-0, that's all you need to know. At this point I don't even care what bowl game we get into, because if we go undefeated we'll be in a BCS bowl game..and if we lose to Pitt...car care bowl here we come. Screw the rankings, I want to go to Pasadena, New Orleans, Arizona or Miami..not North Carolina.

North Carolina is a fine place.

Boston Red
11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
No reason to be scared of Illinois at all. Your not the first person to suggest this either. UC will steamroll them.

Just seems like a nice trap between WV and Pitt.

paintmered
11-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Nods. Illinois is a talented yet disappointed team with nothing to lose. That's dangerous.

BearcatShane
11-15-2009, 11:11 PM

With the bye week before the Illinois game and with UC's coaching staff I would be suprised if this is a game in the second half. I just don't see them stopping UC's offense. They are talented though.

dougdirt
11-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Not entirely UC related.... but kind of.

How can Rutgers not be ranked in 1 poll? They are 7-2 with their only losses coming to Top 10 teams. The Big East get absolutely no respect at all. Houston, who has 2 losses to UCF and 3-7 UTEP is ranked in both polls.

bucksfan2
11-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Were not a non BCS school. We don't need style points. WVU is a solid team with great athletes. Just win.

True, but the national perception is much different. Outside of the Cincinnati area UC is thought of in the same vein as TCU, Utah, maybe a step ahead of BSU. The computers may love them, and Pitt winning will continue to help SOS, but until the national perception is changed UC will still struggle on the national scene.

FWIW I think TCU destroying Utah (who last season beat Alabama who was ranked #1 for the majority of the season) will go farther than any win UC has. It is pretty evident where the pollsters think UC rates, a step below TCU, I don't know if that will change.

Caveat Emperor
11-16-2009, 12:37 PM
FWIW I think TCU destroying Utah (who last season beat Alabama who was ranked #1 for the majority of the season) will go farther than any win UC has. It is pretty evident where the pollsters think UC rates, a step below TCU, I don't know if that will change.

Which is just moronic -- Utah's best win this season, still, is an OT victory against Air Force at home. Otherwise, they've lost to both quality opponents (TCU & Oregon) they faced, and played nobody.

UC's win over Oregon State, on the road, is *FAR* more impressive than any win over Utah at home. At least Oregon State has beaten somebody.

joshnky
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
NM, I'll stay out of it.

Caveat Emperor
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
As much as I try to defend UC against the allegation they belong in the TCU/BSU level of college football, it's hard to defend idiocy like this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/5293/cincinnati-virginia-tech-game-moved-to-fedex-field

Cincinnati's 2012 game against Virginia Tech has been moved to FedEx Field in Washington D.C., officials from the Washington Redskins have announced.

The game was scheduled to be at Nippert Stadium as a return game from 2006 in Blacksburg. Virginia Tech was originally scheduled to play in Cincinnati this season, but that game was moved so the Hokies could open against Alabama in Atlanta.

Cincinnati will serve as the host team for the game in FedEx, but clearly it won't be a home field advantage. Obviously, there must have been some major financial incentives for the Bearcats to agree to this move. This game should sell a lot more tickets than what Nippert can hold, but I have to wonder why Cincinnati didn't just move the game at Paul Brown Stadium, the pro facility in its own backyard, if that were the only consideration.

Here's what Cincinnati athletic director Mike Thomas said in an official statement:

“As the program has gained more national notoriety over the last few years with national rankings, a Big East championship, and last year’s BCS appearance in the Orange Bowl, we are always looking for opportunities to grow our brand beyond Cincinnati and the state of Ohio. These types of games are important to the development of our championship program and help to expand our exposure on a national stage.”

A cash-grab worthy of the finest mid-major program out there. Pathetic for a program trying to cement an image as a national contender.

Roy Tucker
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Stewart Mandel at SI has the Bearcats going to the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/11/15/bowl.projections/index.html

Roy Tucker
11-16-2009, 01:23 PM
As much as I try to defend UC against the allegation they belong in the TCU/BSU level of college football, it's hard to defend idiocy like this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/5293/cincinnati-virginia-tech-game-moved-to-fedex-field

A cash-grab worthy of the finest mid-major program out there. Pathetic for a program trying to cement an image as a national contender.

Wow. Indefensible. A big bird-finger to UC fans.

gonelong
11-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Cash is necessary to grow the program. Those kinda cash grabs may be what allows them to build the program and/or retain Kelly? If so, cash grab away.

GL

bucksfan2
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Which is just moronic -- Utah's best win this season, still, is an OT victory against Air Force at home. Otherwise, they've lost to both quality opponents (TCU & Oregon) they faced, and played nobody.

UC's win over Oregon State, on the road, is *FAR* more impressive than any win over Utah at home. At least Oregon State has beaten somebody.

I don't know what you are saying is moronic, my opinion or the perception on the national stage. I am talking more about the national perception. Use this as an example, College Gameday. College Gameday has been to the MWC 3 times this season, Provo, Air Force (granted it was for the veteran day), and Dallas. College Gameday hasn't been to a Big East school this season.

You keep trumpeting the Oregon State win. Granted it was a very solid win when you consider they traveled to Corvallis, but Oregon St. is a middle of the pack Pac 10 team. It may look nice for the computers, but the human element sees it different. Right now the human element plays a large roll in the BCS and I don't see it changing in UC's favor.

Redlegs23
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Granted it was a very solid win when you consider they traveled to Corvallis, but Oregon St. is a middle of the pack Pac 10 team.

If Oregon State beats Oregon they will be the PAC 10 champs. It will be a tough game to win, but they are definitely one of the top teams in the PAC 10.

Caveat Emperor
11-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Cash is necessary to grow the program. Those kinda cash grabs may be what allows them to build the program and/or retain Kelly? If so, cash grab away.

On the other hand, it's trading away homefield advantage to go on the road to play a "neutral site" game in the middle of one of VT's biggest alumni areas (DC metro).

The athletic department picked money over best shot to win -- if I'm Coach Kelly, this is the kind of decision that kicks me towards leaving and going to a school that doesn't need to make that kind of decision.

Reds4Life
11-16-2009, 02:38 PM

The payout better have been big, over $2 million kind of big. Otherwise, there is no excuse for this. I agree, if you want to be taken seriously as a top program then start acting like one. This move reeks of a team that plays in MAC and sends the wrong kind of message, IMO.

gonelong
11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I would have to think that the AD wouldn't make this kind of move without consulting the coach, especially given this particular situation. I just can't image they would make this move without Kelly being on board, if they have any thoughts of trying to keep him in the fold.

I suspect that Kelly is on board with the decision.
1. Payday (grow the program/facilities)
2. Gives UC exposure in a large market (Recruiting)
3. Thinks UC can win anywhere, not afraid to play VaTech in their region.
4. Wouldn't do it without Kelly being on board.
5. Did VaTech have an opt out clause?

GL

Roy Tucker
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I would have to think that the AD wouldn't make this kind of move without consulting the coach, especially given this particular situation. I just can't image they would make this move without Kelly being on board, if they have any thoughts of trying to keep him in the fold.

I suspect that Kelly is on board with the decision.
1. Payday (grow the program/facilities)
2. Gives UC exposure in a large market (Recruiting)
3. Thinks UC can win anywhere, not afraid to play VaTech in their region.
4. Wouldn't do it without Kelly being on board.
5. Did VaTech have an opt out clause?

GL

That's about the only legit reason I can think of. Otherwise, its a real wienie move.

Sea Ray
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
If Oregon State beats Oregon they will be the PAC 10 champs. It will be a tough game to win, but they are definitely one of the top teams in the PAC 10.

Up until the last weekend in 2008, they were going to the Rose Bowl too. They're contenders for the PAC 10 championship two years in a row. The PAC 10 is so bunched up right now it's hard to sort out but Oregon St is "right there" with whoever wins that conference

Sea Ray
11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Sounds to me like they're going to FedEx Field for recruiting reasons, not money. They want to expand their recruiting base

redsmetz
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds to me like they're going to FedEx Field for recruiting reasons, not money. They want to expand their recruiting base

Or at least to expand our base. Also, while the AD didn't say so, is it possible that the expansion of Nippert might be going on that season? We also do have the home game against Ohio State coming up which, don't we. That's being played in Columbus because of OSU's larger capacity, and they're paying us handsomely, as I understand it.

BTW, Fedex Field's capacity is over 90,000. I assume we'll get a nice chunk of that money plus give our DC area alums and fans the chance to see the team. Finally, I don't think this decision was made without input from Brian Kelly. I think folks are taking the usual RZ be hard on folks approach, IMO.

Caveat Emperor
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Or at least to expand our base. Also, while the AD didn't say so, is it possible that the expansion of Nippert might be going on that season? We also do have the home game against Ohio State coming up which, don't we. That's being played in Columbus because of OSU's larger capacity, and they're paying us handsomely, as I understand it.

BTW, Fedex Field's capacity is over 90,000. I assume we'll get a nice chunk of that money plus give our DC area alums and fans the chance to see the team. Finally, I don't think this decision was made without input from Brian Kelly. I think folks are taking the usual RZ be hard on folks approach, IMO.

Boise State is getting $2.25m from Virginia Tech to play a game at FedEx in 2010. I don't know how the gate for that game is being handled (from the sounds of the press release, it sounds like UC will get the lion share of the receipts for their game w/ VT), but I expect UC's payday to be at least that much.

I guess you can sell it as a "recruiting" aid for UC -- but as a former resident of the DC area, I can tell you that the football isn't spectacular out there. It's not an area I'd consider a priority for developing a pipeline (outside of DaMatha in Hyattsville, MD -- which is an all-world prep athletics factory). That line sounds like a lot of spin to me, though. The crowd will be overwhelmingly made up of VT-alums and VT-fans, so I don't see how that grows interest in Cincinnati football either.

Now, when you look ahead, 2012 will see the Bearcats going on the road to play @Ohio State, @Miami, FLA, and now @Virginia Tech. That's absolutely brutal -- there isn't a contending football team in America that plays an out of conference schedule with those kinds of road games. Two of those three games were originally scheduled to be played in Cincinnati, and now they're payday games.

With all due respect to Toledo (my fine alma mater for law school), it's a MAC-schedule. MAC teams take the payday. MAC teams don't demand return dates in exchange for away games. MAC teams go on the road for multiple out of conference games each year. Why would Brian Kelly be on board with that kind of schedule? He's either suicidal, or he's giving it his blessing with the anticipation of not being around to suffer the consequences.

I think the latter is more likely true than the former.

Cyclone792
11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Regarding VA Tech, the payday better be huge. Otherwise this is a slap in the face to the local fans here who have helped rebuild the program by rocking Nippert this season. I don't particularly like having games played at PBS, but if they were worried about Nippert's seating capacity then PBS would have been a viable option ala Oklahoma next season.

I'll spend the cash to fly to a BCS bowl game, and I'm willing to drive to a regular season road game that's within reasonable driving distance such as Pittsburgh, Morgantown or Knoxville. But DC isn't reasonable driving distance - it's nearly 8 hours away behind the wheel and that's not going to happen for a regular season game.

Maybe UC has a large alumni base near the DC area, but if so I'm not aware of it. Maybe they think they'll draw a large contingent of UC fans, but I'm not holding out hope. Unfortunately they've moved the game far enough away that they've priced out a large portion of fans wanting to attend that game, and those seats will just get filled by Hokies fans.

bucksfan2
11-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Regarding VA Tech, the payday better be huge. Otherwise this is a slap in the face to the local fans here who have helped rebuild the program by rocking Nippert this season. I don't particularly like having games played at PBS, but if they were worried about Nippert's seating capacity then PBS would have been a viable option ala Oklahoma next season.

I'll spend the cash to fly to a BCS bowl game, and I'm willing to drive to a regular season road game that's within reasonable driving distance such as Pittsburgh, Morgantown or Knoxville. But DC isn't reasonable driving distance - it's nearly 8 hours away behind the wheel and that's not going to happen for a regular season game.

Maybe UC has a large alumni base near the DC area, but if so I'm not aware of it. Maybe they think they'll draw a large contingent of UC fans, but I'm not holding out hope. Unfortunately they've moved the game far enough away that they've priced out a large portion of fans wanting to attend that game, and those seats will just get filled by Hokies fans.

I would imagine that Va Tech would have a huge home field advantage playing in DC. The really are the the only legit football program in that area, Virginia and Maryland are after thoughts if you ask me.

I am sure there is some kind of fan base in the DC area, but that can be said about any school in DC. It is a very transient area and IMO the larger the school, the larger the fan base in DC.

I just don't understand it. I don't understand why every big game UC signs they want to move away from Nippert. Nippert is a huge home field advantage, when you move to PBS you lose that huge home field advantage. I really want to see UC play a big boy at Nippert. I want to see that atmosphere because it is such a unique place. But every time UC has a big game lined up, they take the pay day instead of the home field advantage.

If Kelly stays and coaches UC against Va Tech at Fed Ex field then I will have a different opinion. If he doesn't then this was a money grab.

Roy Tucker
11-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I saw this in the Enquirer this AM...

VIRGINIA TECH GAME SET FOR FEDEX FIELD: The Bearcats’ 2012 game against Virginia Tech will be played at FedExField in Landover, Md., the home of the NFL Washington Redskins, the school announced Monday.

“Clearly there’s some recruiting advantage,” Kelly said. “Playing in that metropolitan area, that’s a pretty rich recruiting area. It’s important for us to go in that direction. I think it’s important for us to be in that kind of marketplace and keep building our program. We’re not there yet and we need this kind of exposure.”

The Bearcats are also scheduled to play at Ohio State in 2012.

“We’re not looking take a step back,” Kelly said. “We want to continue to push this program forward.”

I also swear I read in the Enquirer (paper edition) about the breakdown of where funds are coming from for the new bubble practice field and that UC was getting $3.8M for playing at FedEx and they were using that for the bubble. But I can't find it online.

Cyclone792
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I also swear I read in the Enquirer (paper edition) about the breakdown of where funds are coming from for the new bubble practice field and that UC was getting $3.8M for playing at FedEx and they were using that for the bubble. But I can't find it online.

Others have seen that in the paper edition as well.

There have been some rumblings that the donation drive may have stalled a bit, and this may have been one option UC decided to take to put the final stamp on securing the practice facility. I was hoping that the practice facility funds had already been secured and any money from the VA Tech switch would be earmarked toward renovating Nippert, but it sounds like UC hasn't reached that step yet.

Sea Ray
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I saw this in the Enquirer this AM...

You are correct. That is in this morning's paper edition. That's a lot of money especially with all these bills coming up for UC. You gotta take that pay day. End of discussion

Hoosier Red
11-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Hey it could be worse, IU's playing a "home" game at FedEx Field against The Pennsylvania State University.

GIDP
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Brian Kelly is going to be on Dan Patricks show on 1530 am tomorrow

Caveat Emperor
11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
You are correct. That is in this morning's paper edition. That's a lot of money especially with all these bills coming up for UC. You gotta take that pay day. End of discussion

To put the number in perspective, the most money UC has ever cleared on a season of gates for football is $4.2m in 2002 -- with that number being heavily influenced by an Ohio State game @ Paul Brown Stadium.

Cyclone792
11-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Brian Kelly on the Dan Patrick show ... a great interview ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/listenlive.player.html?file=http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/danpatrick/audio/2009/11/18/DP-Brian_Kelly-11-18-09_Interview.mp3

Cyclone792
11-18-2009, 04:58 PM
UC vs. Pitt game time on December 5th has been announced as a noon kickoff. I wish it would have been a night game, but since the other conference championship games were already scheduled the noon time isn't too surprising.

Caveat Emperor
11-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Brian Kelly on the Dan Patrick show ... a great interview ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/listenlive.player.html?file=http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/danpatrick/audio/2009/11/18/DP-Brian_Kelly-11-18-09_Interview.mp3

I genuinely can't decide if Kelly is out the door or if he's using his "hot item" status to leverage the donor base and administration into giving him what he wants for the program.

There's lots of evidence both ways, at this point.

Matt700wlw
11-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I think he's staying here.

Just a guess, though.

GIDP
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM

Just a guess, though.

I think the same

dabvu2498
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Add another reason why Kelley may like staying at UC. In Columbus, Ann Arbor, South Bend, etc., the Collaros fake ID would be the lead story on the local news. Here, it's not a huge deal.

Redlegs23
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Add another reason why Kelley may like staying at UC. In Columbus, Ann Arbor, South Bend, etc., the Collaros fake ID would be the lead story on the local news. Here, it's not a huge deal.

That is the biggest joke of a news story I have ever seen. A 20 year old tries to get into a bar with a fake id. I can't believe this actually went to the police (when I did it in college the bars that would call me out on it would just give it back to me and send me on my way, I did have one bar take the ID though).

Anyways, it was the lead story on cincinnati.com last night, which made me laugh.

dabvu2498
11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
That is the biggest joke of a news story I have ever seen. A 20 year old tries to get into a bar with a fake id. I can't believe this actually went to the police (when I did it in college the bars that would call me out on it would just give it back to me and send me on my way, I did have one bar take the ID though). Anyways, it was the lead story on cincinnati.com last night, which made me laugh. Nowadays, if those bars don't report people using fake ids they can lose their liquor licenses. Anyway, to Collaros... Using a fake id? Not a big deal. Violating a judge's order? Bigger deal.

Redlegs23
11-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Nowadays, if those bars don't report people using fake ids they can lose their liquor licenses. Anyway, to Collaros... Using a fake id? Not a big deal. Violating a judge's order? Bigger deal.

Sure they can lose their liquor license, but it wasn't too long ago that I was using a fake and they were just sending me on my way when it didn't work. Just seems a little crazy for them to call the police because a kid tried to use a fake id.

bucksfan2
11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Nowadays, if those bars don't report people using fake ids they can lose their liquor licenses. Anyway, to Collaros... Using a fake id? Not a big deal. Violating a judge's order? Bigger deal.

Yup. If he would have just done what the Judge said this wouldn't have been an issue. I have many friends who have had to go to that alcohol class so I don't think it is that big of a deal. But when you ignore the Judge you get into trouble.

jimbo
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM

Just a guess, though.

Thad Matta says hi. :wave: ;)

SeeinRed
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Yup. If he would have just done what the Judge said this wouldn't have been an issue. I have many friends who have had to go to that alcohol class so I don't think it is that big of a deal. But when you ignore the Judge you get into trouble.

Yeah, I agree with this. Using a fake ID is one thing. Ignoring your punishment that was handed down by a judge is a whole new can of worms. You just don't do it. There is no defending Zach when it comes to that. He's young, he made a small mistake and followed that up with a bigger mistake. Not a good streak in the young man's life as far as that goes, but he needs to learn from it and move on.

acredsfan
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Luckily for UC, Zach's time as starting QB is over until next year as long as Pike stays healthy, so it may not hurt the team much if he is punished by Kelly or the NCAA. I just hope there is a good reason for him missing the appointment in question.

Reds4Life
11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I genuinely can't decide if Kelly is out the door or if he's using his "hot item" status to leverage the donor base and administration into giving him what he wants for the program.

There's lots of evidence both ways, at this point.

Probably a little of both. I like Kelly, but I'm not sure how his personality would go over at ND. The other issue is dealing with the boosters, etc. At ND they are nice to your face, until you lose a few games, then they work behind your back to get you fired.

The fact that UC is pushing ahead with the practice bubble shows they are doing everything they can to keep him. The new President seems to be a supporter of the athletic programs, he took on the faculty senate in a recent speech and more or less told them to shut up. Mike Thomas said last night during the basketball game that construction on on the practice fields will start by the end of this month.

Reds4Life
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Luckily for UC, Zach's time as starting QB is over until next year as long as Pike stays healthy, so it may not hurt the team much if he is punished by Kelly or the NCAA. I just hope there is a good reason for him missing the appointment in question.

I don't know if his time is over or not. If UC gets into trouble in the next couple games, I could see Kelly putting Collaros out there to change up the offense a bit.

Redsfan320
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I just hope if Collaros ends up in jail with a misdemeanor that they let him finish the season first. And I hope they're not too quick to give Pike the starting QB job back.

LoganBuck
11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
WLW was running a report from the hearing.

The judge scolded Collaros, and he left the hearing and went straight to the office where he had to sign up for the diversion program.

Sounded like legally he will have no ramifications from this event, but with Brian Kelly there might be. Might want to catch the radio show tonight.

dabvu2498
11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
WLW was running a report from the hearing. The judge scolded Collaros, and he left the hearing and went straight to the office where he had to sign up for the diversion program. Sounded like legally he will have no ramifications from this event, but with Brian Kelly there might be. Might want to catch the radio show tonight. He has another appearance December 7, by which time he has to finish an 8 hour program. He admitted to just ignoring the judge's original order. BK may ignore his desire to play the next couple weeks.

Redlegs23
11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
BK took care of punishing him back in May when it happened. No way he's going to bench him for the next couple of weeks because of this issue. If he doesn't play it's because Pike is back, not because of this.

Cyclone792
11-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Dyjuan Lewis, a 4 star HS senior WR recruit out of Indiana, just committed to UC. Kelly's starting to push even higher with the recruits now, and it's going to be fun watching him develop these guys.

And speaking of Kelly, Football Coach Scoop, which is apparently a pretty reliable source of information, is claiming that 1) Charlie Weis will be fired after this season, and 2) Brian Kelly is not on Notre Dame's short list.

There's no guarantee that report is correct, but it's good to hear the rumor mill turn away from Kelly.

bucksfan2
11-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Root for TCU?????

Heard a so called analyst from Rivals on the radio this morning. He said that he thinks TCU could hang and potentially beat any of the top three schools in the nation. Would a TCU national championship or TCU BCS title game appearance help out UC going forward? I think anytime a team not from the national forefront that pushes the envelop and makes it to the title game validates all others schools like them. More recruits will see that you can win a national championship at a school like UC. There would be more money coming into UC because of the better recruits. That would make it easier to keep Kelly if he sees he has a legit opportunity to make it to the BCS title game.

Ben
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
This is a little off topic, but still relates to UC football. My buddy, dad and I are going to Pittsburgh on Dec 5 for the game that starts at noon. Other than Primanti Bros. and the Incline, any other "must" do tourist stuff in Pittsburgh?

gonelong
11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
IMO this is a pivotal year for non-BCS schools. The Boise St win over OKL and the Utah win of ALA have been crucial in allowing TCU to even be considered this season.

If you a fan of a non traditional power, you should most definitely be rooting for all of them to take it to the big dogs. You should also be making noise that none of the big boys have the courage to take a home-n-home with you.

Has Cincy beat Va Tech in their Bowl last season, they'd probably be where TCU is right now.

GL

Cyclone792
11-20-2009, 10:50 AM
IMO this is a pivotal year for non-BCS schools. The Boise St win over OKL and the Utah win of ALA have been crucial in allowing TCU to even be considered this season.

If you a fan of a non traditional power, you should most definitely be rooting for all of them to take it to the big dogs. You should also be making noise that none of the big boys have the courage to take a home-n-home with you.

Has Cincy beat Va Tech in their Bowl last season, they'd probably be where TCU is right now.

GL

I agree with you regarding rooting for the non-traditional schools.

Regarding UC/TCU, UC will very likely pass them in the BCS by winning out. TCU's remaining schedule is so awful that they will take a hit in the computer rankings, especially once they play New Mexico at home. Not to mention UC would jump in the computer ratings with a road win against Pittsburgh. There would have to be a cosmic shift in human points to offset the edge UC would gain in the computer rankings.

bucksfan2
11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree with you regarding rooting for the non-traditional schools.

Regarding UC/TCU, UC will very likely pass them in the BCS by winning out. TCU's remaining schedule is so awful that they will take a hit in the computer rankings, especially once they play New Mexico at home. Not to mention UC would jump in the computer ratings with a road win against Pittsburgh. There would have to be a cosmic shift in human points to offset the edge UC would gain in the computer rankings.

I disagree. UC will jump TCU in the computer polls if they haven't already done so. They won't pass them in the human polls which makes up a large percentage of the BCS formula.

SeeinRed
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
I disagree. UC will jump TCU in the computer polls if they haven't already done so. They won't pass them in the human polls which makes up a large percentage of the BCS formula.

I don't see how human pollsters keep them ahead of UC with UC beating Pitt at Pitt in the final week. There just isn't any viable reason IF that happens IMO.

Puffy
11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
And speaking of Kelly, Football Coach Scoop, which is apparently a pretty reliable source of information, is claiming that 1) Charlie Weis will be fired after this season, and 2) Brian Kelly is not on Notre Dame's short list.

There's no guarantee that report is correct, but it's good to hear the rumor mill turn away from Kelly.

This is what I am hearing too - the rumor is the background check was once again not very kind to Coach Kelly.

I hope it is not true cause ND needs a home run hire and from my vantage point there are only three home runs - Urban, Stoops and Kelly. From all I'm hearing they will go hard after the first two, leave Kelly alone and then go after Patterson when Meyer and Stoops stay put.

NorrisHopper30
11-20-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.capitalonebowl.com/vote/main

Vote!! We are only down 20.

Caveat Emperor
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
This is what I am hearing too - the rumor is the background check was once again not very kind to Coach Kelly.

I haven't really posted anything about it here due to the sensitivity of the topic, but I've heard rumblings over the last couple weeks/months that Kelly's stance on a certain very-contentious moral issue was going to cause him problems with Notre Dame.

Given the amount of flack the school took, internally, from letting President Obama speak, I imagine that might be playing a role in things.

I also find it very interesting that FootballCoachScoop posts this rumor (Kelly's name out for ND) right around the same time that UC lands it's (thus far) top recruit of the season.

Chip R
11-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I haven't really posted anything about it here due to the sensitivity of the topic, but I've heard rumblings over the last couple weeks/months that Kelly's stance on a certain very-contentious moral issue was going to cause him problems with Notre Dame.

Oh, good God. Do they want a football coach or a Pope?

Caveat Emperor
11-20-2009, 03:23 PM

To most Notre Dame fans, there's not a whole lot of difference. ;)

Chip R
11-20-2009, 04:31 PM
To most Notre Dame fans, there's not a whole lot of difference. ;)

I'm thinking they could hire a guy with the morals of a snake and if he had a record like Urban Meyer, the faculty and alums could care less.

GIDP
11-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Do you know anything about Notre Dame?

Chip R
11-20-2009, 04:54 PM

No. I know nothing about it. :rolleyes:

Reds4Life
11-20-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't see it as being a big issue in the hiring process. I have never seen Kelly talk about the issue in question very much, and NEVER while doing his job at UC. He's a football coach, not an advocate for any issue.

Personally, I hope it's a huge issue for Notre Dame so he stays at UC. :D

GIDP
11-20-2009, 05:12 PM
No. I know nothing about it. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I sense the sarcasm which makes me ask, Why do you even have to ask if they want the pope or a football coach. Its pretty obvious Notre Dame has always tried to find both.

Roy Tucker
11-20-2009, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes:

I sense the sarcasm which makes me ask, Why do you even have to ask if they want the pope or a football coach. Its pretty obvious Notre Dame has always tried to find both.

What if there were no rhetorical questions?

GIDP
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
What if there were no rhetorical questions?

I dont think that question was really rhetorical.

Puffy
11-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Given the amount of flack the school took, internally, from letting President Obama speak, I imagine that might be playing a role in things.

I also find it very interesting that FootballCoachScoop posts this rumor (Kelly's name out for ND) right around the same time that UC lands it's (thus far) top recruit of the season.

Yeah - except the rumor mill states that both UM and Tennessee backed off Kelly after "background" checks so its more than just the pro-choice issue. I think. I mean none of us are privy to the process so all we can do is speculate but I think the rumored infidality (sp?) and the murder investigation at CMU (in which, interestingly enough the Judge actually applauded Kelly saying something to effect of it was Kelly's doing that enabled Judge to wrap up case) plus the drinking issue (Irish Catholic - hello???? All us Irish Catholics like to drink!!) and the rumored picture thats is supposedly out there....

Whatever - Kelly is a great football coach and Cincinnati is lucky to have him. I would like him at Notre Dame but I don't get a vote. Maybe the rumors are just that but the dawn of the internet has not been kind to Kelly.

Anyhow - sorry to derail the thread with Notre Dame talk! I want Cincinnati to destroy Pitt and go to the Sugar Bowl

Caveat Emperor
11-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah - except the rumor mill states that both UM and Tennessee backed off Kelly after "background" checks so its more than just the pro-choice issue. I think. I mean none of us are privy to the process so all we can do is speculate but I think the rumored infidality (sp?) and the murder investigation at CMU (in which, interestingly enough the Judge actually applauded Kelly saying something to effect of it was Kelly's doing that enabled Judge to wrap up case) plus the drinking issue (Irish Catholic - hello???? All us Irish Catholics like to drink!!) and the rumored picture thats is supposedly out there....

I knew there was stuff out there about his level of cooperation w/ authorities regarding his players and the the DeMarcus Graham murder. I didn't think anything ever came to light that said he was actively doing anything wrong, though. Admittedly, I didn't follow the story that closely and only know what I do from hearing things from people who heard things -- that old gag -- and some reading I did when Kelly first got hired. I didn't think that was going to continue to be a knock on him, especially considering he landed this job after it happened. I do seem to recall there were some statements made that got him publicly chastised -- I'll have to go back and look it up again later.

I've heard nothing about an incriminating photo being out there, though. That's a new one on me.

Whatever it is, I'm happy if it keeps the dude in Cincinnati.

Tony Cloninger
11-20-2009, 09:10 PM
How long do the rumors of Kelly leaving last before this school puts and end to it by firmly stating that Kelly has car blanche....like all the other big time coaches do? How does this stuff work? I mean every year this is going to happen if he keeps winning?

joshnky
11-20-2009, 10:19 PM
How long do the rumors of Kelly leaving last before this school puts and end to it by firmly stating that Kelly has car blanche....like all the other big time coaches do? How does this stuff work? I mean every year this is going to happen if he keeps winning?

This will never end until he stops winning. Even Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and Pete Carroll seem to have yearly rumors regarding Notre Dame or the NFL. As long as he doesn't get a wandering eye, the rumors are a good thing because they're a sign of success.

bucksfan2
11-21-2009, 09:45 AM
This will never end until he stops winning. Even Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and Pete Carroll seem to have yearly rumors regarding Notre Dame or the NFL. As long as he doesn't get a wandering eye, the rumors are a good thing because they're a sign of success.

Unless you truly are a destination program, think OSU, UM, ND, Alabama, USC, Texas, you will hear your name in rumors. IMO the best that UC fans can hope for is that Kelly takes the route of Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder and decide that his current school is good enough for him.

DTCromer
11-22-2009, 08:42 AM
So what's the rumored picture? What exactly happened in the murder case? This is the first I've heard of all of this.

NatiRedGals
11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
So according to brian bennets blog we probably wont pass TCU unless we crush Pitt... If this is true this season has been as much crappy as it has been exciting when it comes to what we get to play for. If we beat a top 10 ranked team we should pass TCU no questions asked. Seriously you say their D is the best in the country? Well ok this maybe true but who have they played to prove it?

Shane from Dayton, Ohio, writes: OK, so after looking at BCS standings it seems to me that Cincinnati could possibly make it to the national championship with a win against Pitt. It would take a lot but they are already ahead of Texas and TCU in the computer polls, so if they were to jump TCU in the human polls how close would it need to be for them to jump Texas in the BCS?

Brian Bennett: I don't see any way Cincinnati jumps Texas as long as the Longhorns don't lose. The difference in the human polls will simply be too great. The Bearcats have a chance to pass TCU and get in position in case of a Texas loss, but our BCS guru Brad Edwards thinks they'll have to make up some ground in the polls to do it. Which means more voters putting Cincinnati ahead of TCU, and which probably means Pitt has to beat West Virginia and the Bearcats have to beat Pitt in impressive fashion.

My head hurts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/5592/big-east-mailbag-part-i-4

Cyclone792
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
UC would very, very likely pass TCU up by winning out, especially if they beat a top 10 ranked Pitt on the road.

For starters, UC gained precious BCS points on TCU this week despite being idle and TCU crushing Wyoming on the road. TCU's one remaining game is at home against 1-10 New Mexico, which will drop them in the computers and probably not impress any human voters whatsoever. Although Illinois is having a bad year, they're still a BCS team so UC should get some support in the human polls provided they post a comfortable victory (not so much if they barely escape a win). The Pitt game is the meal ticket, though. Winning at Heinz Field would almost assure us that UC catapults over TCU.

For additional help, root for Oregon State to win the PAC-10 and for Georgia Tech to win out. If Oregon State wins the PAC-10, UC will get some additional human voter support for going on the road to the west coast a few months ago and beating the PAC-10 Champ by 10 points. If Georgia Tech wins out, chances are pretty good they'll pass TCU in a couple computer polls and swipe some BCS points away from the Horned Frogs (Georgia Tech could not touch UC in that fashion if UC wins out).

Remember, the Coaches poll is anonymous throughout the season, but their final ballots are public.

Hoosier Red
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
A quick question does the margin of difference in the polls matter?

For instance, if a one team is 4th with say a 400 point lead over the 5th place team does it count for more than if said team has a 4 point lead over the 5th place team?

Cyclone792
11-24-2009, 04:43 PM
A quick question does the margin of difference in the polls matter?

For instance, if a one team is 4th with say a 400 point lead over the 5th place team does it count for more than if said team has a 4 point lead over the 5th place team?

Absolutely it does. The BCS portion of the human polls are determined by the points, not the human poll ranking.

For example, UC:

1,224 Coaches poll points out of a possible 1,475 = 0.8298
2,358 Harris poll points out of a possible 2,850 = 0.8274

This is why it's important to look at the point shifts from week to week, not necessarily the rankings shifting. All UC really has to do to topple TCU in the BCS overall is pick up a few points in each human poll. UC doesn't have to move ahead of TCU in either human poll to leapfrog the Horned Frogs in the BCS, not with their commanding lead in the computers.

UC's computer ranking is 0.9200, which is based on their average rank amongst the middle four of their six computer rankings (lowest and highest are thrown out).

Their overall BCS total are three above BCS rankings summed together and then divided by 3.

The only polls where the margin of difference between say 4th and 5th place doesn't mean anything is the individual computer polls. If you're in 4th place by 0.5 or 0.00005, you get the same credit for merely being in 4th place.

Cyclone792
11-24-2009, 04:48 PM
By the way, just for some perspective ...

In terms of the computer polls, TCU would be better off having a bye week than beating New Mexico by any amount you can imagine, especially since the game is at TCU. It doesn't matter if TCU beats New Mexico by 100 points, their value in each computer poll will drop after factoring even a win over New Mexico in to the equation.

Roy Tucker
11-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd sure like to see UC beat Pitt and pass TCU in the polls.

This might be heresy, but I don't think I want them in the NC game. From what I've seen of their defense, I think they'd get smoked against Florida, Alabama, or Texas.

I'd put UC's offense up against anyone. They *can* light it up against anyone. But I've seen that defense give up way too many yards and points.

BearcatShane
11-24-2009, 06:52 PM

This might be heresy, but I don't think I want them in the NC game. From what I've seen of their defense, I think they'd get smoked against Florida, Alabama, or Texas.

I'd put UC's offense up against anyone. They *can* light it up against anyone. But I've seen that defense give up way too many yards and points.

Well. I want UC in the title game. They might lose. Might lose BIG. But it's the national title game! I mean, thats the point of playing. And heck, bring on Bama or Florida. One shot deal? Bring it.

Reds4Life
11-24-2009, 09:16 PM

Of those 3 teams, Alabama is the worst match up for UC. Our run defense sucks and Alabama has Heisman contending tailback. I'd be more comfortable with playing Florida or Texas than I would Alabama.

WMR
11-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Hopefully UC will get the loser of 'Bama/Florida.

Mario-Rijo
11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Sounds like many expect UC to beat Pitt. Not so sure that's gonna happen, Pitt is an intriguing matchup for them I think. How do you UC fans see that game playing out?

Eric_the_Red
11-25-2009, 08:43 AM
I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want UC in the title game against FL/Bama/Tex/whoever. If they lose, they lose. Who cares?

I guess these same people wouldn't have wanted the US hockey team to play in Lake Placid since they had no shot. And the Reds should've bowed out of the World Series in '90, as everyone knew Oakland would crush them. And why did Buster Douglas ever agree to fight Mike Tyson?

Cyclone792
11-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Roy, if we land in a non-Championship BCS game we'll likely get one of Florida/Alabama anyway in the Sugar Bowl. If we're going to play one of the big boys, it might as well be for the BCS title game.

Personally, if we didn't make the title game I'd probably want to see something like a UC/Oklahoma State Fiesta Bowl matchup. We could light up the scoreboard in that game, and I'm not sure how well Oklahoma State could keep up. Unfortunately, I think the Fiesta might have their eyes on TCU to pair up with the Cowboys.

Boston Red
11-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Oklahoma State is going to get a BCS bid?!? That would be a joke.

Cyclone792
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Oklahoma State is going to get a BCS bid?!? That would be a joke.

If Texas wins the Big 12 Championship and Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma (and the Sooners have collapsed), then Oklahoma State will very likely get a BCS bowl bid.

Whether they deserve it or not is debatable, but this is the problem with the bowl system being tied to money and conference affiliations. The Fiesta Bowl has a longstanding tie to the Big 12, and they know that Stillwater would send busloads of people to Glendale. From a money standpoint, the Fiesta Bowl would be all over Oklahoma State.

Redlegs23
11-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I would love to play in the National Championship. If Arkansas can hang with Florida we sure as hell can. I realize Florida and Bama are darn good, but I think some people inflate their status some based on the name on their jersey.

Boston Red
11-25-2009, 09:40 AM
I guess as long as OK State doesn't get a BCS bid while Boise is left out I would be okay. The rest of the at-large choices are pretty shaky, too.

Imagine if Houston had taken care of business against UCF and UTEP!

Sorry to veer off topic.

Cyclone792
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I guess as long as OK State doesn't get a BCS bid while Boise is left out I would be okay. The rest of the at-large choices are pretty shaky, too.

Imagine if Houston had taken care of business against UCF and UTEP!

Sorry to veer off topic.

As of now we're looking at two at-large bids amongst the following teams:

Undefeated Boise State
1-loss UC or 2-loss Pitt (loser of December 5th game)
2-loss Iowa
2-loss Penn State
2-loss Oklahoma State

UC's BCS bowl options are pretty much down to NCG, Fiesta or Sugar. The Orange Bowl won't want them, and as a fan I'd rather go to any of the other BCS bowl games over the Orange Bowl anyway. That stadium's a dump and was shameful for BCS standards.

If UC doesn't make a BCS bowl, chances are they land in the Gator Bowl due to Notre Dame's collapse.

Roy Tucker
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Roy, if we land in a non-Championship BCS game we'll likely get one of Florida/Alabama anyway in the Sugar Bowl. If we're going to play one of the big boys, it might as well be for the BCS title game.

Yeah, I suppose. Getting there would be an enormously huge boost to the program. And there has to be a first time.

I just have the hangover of watching my Buckeyes get lit up like a Christmas tree in the NC game and its no fun. I'd prefer the team to be ready. I'm Jim Tressel Jr. when it comes to preparation.

Puffy
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
As of now we're looking at two at-large bids amongst the following teams:

Undefeated Boise State
1-loss UC or 2-loss Pitt (loser of December 5th game)
2-loss Iowa
2-loss Penn State
2-loss Oklahoma State

UC's BCS bowl options are pretty much down to NCG, Fiesta or Sugar. The Orange Bowl won't want them, and as a fan I'd rather go to any of the other BCS bowl games over the Orange Bowl anyway. That stadium's a dump and was shameful for BCS standards.

If UC doesn't make a BCS bowl, chances are they land in the Gator Bowl due to Notre Dame's collapse.

If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma then they are in (provided Texas wins out - if Nebraska beats Texas in Big 12 championship game then Texas will take Oklahoma St's place).

That leaves one spot for Boise State, Iowa or the loser of the Pitt-Cincy game (provided they both win their games this week). That leaves Bosie State out, guaranteed.

Just for reference, the Big 10 has had two teams in the BCS every year of the 00's. So I think a 1 loss Cincy team makes it over the Big Ten but not a 2 loss Pittsburgh team.

Boston Red
11-25-2009, 11:19 AM
That leaves one spot for Boise State, Iowa or the loser of the Pitt-Cincy game (provided they both win their games this week). That leaves Bosie State out, guaranteed.

If Boise State is left out for OK State, it will be a complete travesty. I love college football, but it is ridiculously stupid sometimes.

Boston Red
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
By the way, there's no chance a one-loss UC goes over an undefeated Boise State. Cincy doesn't bring any more money than Boise.

bucksfan2
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma then they are in (provided Texas wins out - if Nebraska beats Texas in Big 12 championship game then Texas will take Oklahoma St's place).

Just for reference, the Big 10 has had two teams in the BCS every year of the 00's. So I think a 1 loss Cincy team makes it over the Big Ten but not a 2 loss Pittsburgh team.

When you get past the automatic qualifiers teams are chosen based more upon dollars and cents then they are merit. The BCS Bowls want Oklahoma St, Iowa, and PSU all to fall within the BCS top 12 so they have the option of choosing them for a bowl game. It is really no secret but the BCS Bowls choose schools on who brings the most fans, not who has the best team.

Just an opinion, but I think the BCS would rank Oklahoma St, Iowa, PSU, and BSU all head of UC because of the schools respected ability to travel. The Big East is getting 1 school in the BCS and I wouldn't doubt it if the Big 10 got a second team this season.

Caveat Emperor
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Not that I expect any differently, but wouldn't one expect the Big East brass to be out on the "campaign trail" (sports radio & TV) stumping for their two teams?

I mean, they've got an undefeated team that everyone is assuming has no right to play for the title (even though, credentials wise, they're probably in the same position as Texas) and they've got 2 Top-10 teams with everyone saying "no chance" on 2 BCS slots.

It's hard to say much when the Big East won't stand up for itself and it's member schools.

bucksfan2
11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Not that I expect any differently, but wouldn't one expect the Big East brass to be out on the "campaign trail" (sports radio & TV) stumping for their two teams?

They really screwed themselves with their bowls. Especially because they coddle ND so the Irish can play basketball in the Big East. It would be a little easier to stomach if the #2 big east team plays in a New Years day bowl. Then the #3 bowl team plays against the ACC #5 or #6 team. The Big East didn't fight hard enough to set up their teams with good bowl bids.

I mean, they've got an undefeated team that everyone is assuming has no right to play for the title (even though, credentials wise, they're probably in the same position as Texas) and they've got 2 Top-10 teams with everyone saying "no chance" on 2 BCS slots.

Texas sure has skated by without any criticism to speak of. Its unfortunate because they have played a very weak schedule. But then again they get a lot of credit for being Texas, having a heisman trophy contender, being a 1 loss team a year ago, oh yea and for being Texas.

It's hard to say much when the Big East won't stand up for itself and it's member schools.

Yup. I really can't disagree.

Chip R
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
They really screwed themselves with their bowls. Especially because they coddle ND so the Irish can play basketball in the Big East. It would be a little easier to stomach if the #2 big east team plays in a New Years day bowl. Then the #3 bowl team plays against the ACC #5 or #6 team. The Big East didn't fight hard enough to set up their teams with good bowl bids.

Texas sure has skated by without any criticism to speak of. Its unfortunate because they have played a very weak schedule. But then again they get a lot of credit for being Texas, having a heisman trophy contender, being a 1 loss team a year ago, oh yea and for being Texas.

The Big East is the red-headed stepchild of the BCS conferences. Since Miami and VT defected to the ACC, they have no real consistent BCS championship contender.

Redlegs23
11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
The Big East is the red-headed stepchild of the BCS conferences. Since Miami and VT defected to the ACC, they have no real consistent BCS championship contender.

It's more perception than reality. What's so different about the Big 10 or the ACC? Does the Big 10 have a real consistent BCS championship contender because they get more people to go to their games? What about the ACC compared to the Big East?

Roy Tucker
11-25-2009, 01:09 PM
It's more perception than reality. What's so different about the Big 10 or the ACC? Does the Big 10 have a real consistent BCS championship contender because they get more people to go to their games? What about the ACC compared to the Big East?

Names and tradition. That's how teams get slotted early in the season in the polls. If they win, they get priority to bubble up. If they lose, they seem to have a fast track back into the top 10 if they win.

I'm convinced that teams like UC, Boise St., TCU, etc. have a glass ceiling.

Chip R
11-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Yep. tOSU, Michigan, Penn St have all either won or been or are BCS championship contenders over the past decade. The Pac 10 has USC and Washington has a couple of championships when James was coaching there. The Big 12 has Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska's a sleeping giant. K-State was relevant about 10 years ago. The ACC has Free Shoes University, Miami and Va Tech. I don't think I have to tell anyone about the SEC. What's the Big East got? Pitt was good when Johnny Majors and Tony Dorsett were there in the 70s and aside from when Marino was there in the early 80s, they haven't been relevant. Syracuse hasn't been relevant since Jim Brown left. They have been the best and most consistent program of the Big East schools, which isn't saying a lot. Louisville's a basketball school and so is UConn. Except for a couple of years ago, Rutgers hasn't been very good. West Virginia has been a good and coinsistent program over the past generation but except for Rodriguez' last couple of seasons, not a BCS championship contender. South Florida's only been playing D1 football for about 10 years, IIRC.

You also have to remember that the Big East hasn't been around for that long. The football conference hasn't been around even as long as the basketball conference. If they had kept FSU and Miami and BC or managed to snag Penn St. or Notre Dame it would be a different story. As it is now they don't have that tradition or lore about them. Fathers and sons and grandchildren and great grandchildren can all talk about what it was/is like to go to a Big 10 game or a Big 12/8/6 game or a SEC or Pac 10 game. Even the ACC has history in football. 2-3 years ago, people were wondering why the Big East even had a BCS spot. Now they have two top 10 teams and both may get BCS berths. They need a team, whether it be UC or Pitt or WVU or whomever to step up and be that major player that Va Tech became to get more respect for the conference.

IIRC, they change these bowls around every 5 years or so. Look at the Big East 5 years ago. They got the leftovers and had to like it. Maybe next time around, they will get some games with a little more prestige.

GIDP
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Names and tradition. That's how teams get slotted early in the season in the polls. If they win, they get priority to bubble up. If they lose, they seem to have a fast track back into the top 10 if they win.

I'm convinced that teams like UC, Boise St., TCU, etc. have a glass ceiling.

Cincinnati is referred to BCS busters way too often.

GIDP
11-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Lets see if Texas will be punished for their game over A&M.

NatiRedGals
11-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Doubt it! They will all be like it was a rival game. And a&m does have flashes of greatness. Thats when i would go *Cough* UConn is better then a&m!!

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2009, 01:08 AM

The determination has already been made by "The Voters" that Texas is the superior team to Cincinnati. Nothing Texas can do, short of losing, is going to cost them their shot at the national title, as far as I can see.

All eyes turn to the B12 Championship game -- which, shock of shocks, is being played in Texas (@ the new Cowboys stadium).

If Texas goes undefeated, their record will be 13-0, with 10 of those wins coming in the state of Texas. I'm absolutely certain that has to be some sort of record for wins in a single state by a BCS conference team.

GIDP
11-27-2009, 08:50 AM
The determination has already been made by "The Voters" that Texas is the superior team to Cincinnati. Nothing Texas can do, short of losing, is going to cost them their shot at the national title, as far as I can see.

All eyes turn to the B12 Championship game -- which, shock of shocks, is being played in Texas (@ the new Cowboys stadium).

If Texas goes undefeated, their record will be 13-0, with 10 of those wins coming in the state of Texas. I'm absolutely certain that has to be some sort of record for wins in a single state by a BCS conference team.

I knew the answer before I even posted my oringal post.

It's just annoying right now isnt it?

GIDP
11-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Check out the ESPN story :laugh:

http://espn.go.com/blog/Big12/post/_/id/7362/aggies-gain-stature-with-gritty-effort-against-texas

"Aggies gain stature with gritty effort"

Pump up A&M is in full effect.

GAC
11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
See where the point spread on the Cincy-Illinois game is 21. Pike is starting at QB. The Bearcats will win; but if I was a gambling man I'd take Illinois and that 21. ;)

bucksfan2
11-27-2009, 10:48 AM
See where the point spread on the Cincy-Illinois game is 21. Pike is starting at QB. The Bearcats will win; but if I was a gambling man I'd take Illinois and that 21. ;)

I would take Illinois and not even hesitate. I think the Bearcats struggle against the Illini, especially if the game is close going into the second half. I think we will see another UConn type game, where UC's D gets worn down in the 2nd half.

texasdave
11-27-2009, 10:53 AM
I am a UC fan, but Texas would beat them 8 out of 10 times. At least.

GIDP
11-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Texas Dave hmmmm :)

bucksfan2
11-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Texas d-line would dominate.

SeeinRed
11-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Texas d-line would dominate.

I find it hard to believe UC's offense would have a harder time than A&M's last night. Texas' offense would be where UC's biggest concern would be I would think.

bucksfan2
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I find it hard to believe UC's offense would have a harder time than A&M's last night. Texas' offense would be where UC's biggest concern would be I would think.

It depends. I think A&M's QB is more athletic than Pike and even Collaros, which does make a big difference. I also think the rivalry as well as familiarity added into the game.

Big time games are won and lost by the play of the lines. OLines and DLines often make up the difference when good teams play each other. I also think that most good teams have the skill players. UC's WR's can hang with any in the country. But while they have the "sexy" skill players, they lack the true depth in the trenches. They lack the ability to constantly get to the QB and also have trouble blowing teams off the line of scrimmage. UConn was the team with the best OLine that UC played and they dominated UC's D as the game went along. I think that that is the biggest difference when you talk about UC playing top competition, whether or not they can win the game in the trenches.

Roy Tucker
11-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Yikes! Just looked at Gamecast and UC is winning 35-17 with 4:04 left int the 2nd quarter.

Looks like a defensive struggle down in Clifton ;)

GIDP
11-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Cincinnati could throw nothing but 50 yard passes today.

Reds4Life
11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Getting real tired of listening to this announcing crew pump the BK is leaving angle, with their condescending attitude towards UC.

texasdave
11-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Texas Dave hmmmm :)

:) I was born and raised in Cincinnati (Skyline Acres area - St. X grad) and now live in Houston (wife born and raised in Houston). I could not care less about Texas Longhorn football. I root for all teams Cincinnati. That all being said, I still think Texas has the better team. I would love to be proven wrong. :)

Reds4Life
11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Ok, I'm a UC fan, but this defense is horrible. They have given up 36 points to an Illinois team that is awful.

We might get to a good bowl game, but with this defense playing against a team like Alabama or Florida, we are going to get plastered. We'd probably have to put up 40 points to have a chance to win.

wolfboy
11-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Getting real tired of listening to this announcing crew pump the BK is leaving angle, with their condescending attitude towards UC.

Agreed. The announcing team really made it difficult to enjoy the game.

Roy Tucker
11-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, I'm a UC fan, but this defense is horrible. They have given up 36 points to an Illinois team that is awful.

We might get to a good bowl game, but with this defense playing against a team like Alabama or Florida, we are going to get plastered. We'd probably have to put up 40 points to have a chance to win.

Yeah. Love the UC offense and the team is tons of fun to watch.

But this is like a Paul Westhead Loyola Marymount basketball game. The heck with defense, fast break and outscore the other team.

jimbo
11-27-2009, 03:39 PM

When you employ the type of offense that Kelly has at UC, you take on the inability of controlling the clock, ultimately giving the other team too many chances on offense. IMO, it'll be their downfall either next week, in their bowl game, or both.

The biggest reason why I have never been a fan high-powered offensive oriented teams. Clock control is so underrated in today's game.

GIDP
11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Im the worlds biggest Auburn fan right now.

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
The biggest reason why I have never been a fan high-powered offensive oriented teams. Clock control is so underrated in today's game.

It's underrated because, as a concept, it's dead with the way modern football games are officiated. It's hard to hold any passing offense in check, absent a gigantic talent gap.

Thus, if you want to compete, you'd better be scoring points too.

Reds Freak
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Im the worlds biggest Auburn fan right now.

That was the most embarrassing display of a two-minute offense I've ever seen in my life...

GIDP
11-27-2009, 06:07 PM
That was the most embarrassing display of a two-minute offense I've ever seen in my life...

Dont worry close losses hurt teams... oh wait SEC means every team is great.

dabvu2498
11-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, since winning AT Auburn is so easy. Just ask one of the "good" Big East teams.

GIDP
11-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, since winning AT Auburn is so easy. Just ask one of the "good" Big East teams.

Listen I understand it SEC has top 25 teams all the way though its just not possible because they beat each other up. Auburn would win every conference other than the SEC.

cincrazy
11-27-2009, 07:09 PM

It's certainly not easy. I think all of these conference comparisons are wack, to be honest.

It's not easy to win at Auburn. Nor is it easy to win a night game at Wisconsin or Happy Valley or in Morgantown or under the lights in Cincy, etc.

Every conference has dangerous road games, even when the opposing team may not have a great record.

HeatherC1212
11-27-2009, 10:50 PM
WV just beat Pitt tonight. Does that automatically give UC the Big East championship or do they still have to beat Pitt next weekend?

GoReds33
11-27-2009, 10:54 PM
WV just beat Pitt tonight. Does that automatically give UC the Big East championship or do they still have to beat Pitt next weekend?
I believe that means UC is guaranteed atleast a tie in the Big East championship. However, the head to head results will dictate who will be given the BCS game. So should Pitt win against UC, Cincinnati would still be co-champions, but would be relegated to the Gator Bowl.

WMR
11-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Listen I understand it SEC has top 25 teams all the way though its just not possible because they beat each other up. Auburn would win every conference other than the SEC.

Yeah, and UC would be undefeated in the SEC.

HeatherC1212
11-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I believe that means UC is guaranteed atleast a tie in the Big East championship. However, the head to head results will dictate who will be given the BCS game. So should Pitt win against UC, Cincinnati would still be co-champions, but would be relegated to the Gator Bowl.

Thanks! I couldn't quite remember how it works for the Big East.

dougdirt
11-27-2009, 11:23 PM

Who knows. We don't know who would do what where. Every team lays an egg every now and again. Given the way schedules work you might be facing the wrong team that week in another conference when you get the cupcake of your conference and get a win.

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2009, 11:24 PM

Nobody is saying that -- but what I think is a fair point is that, maybe, the middle of the SEC is just as mediocre as the middle of other conferences.

If UC gets crap about winning a close game w/ UConn, Alabama should get crap for playing a close game with a mid-tier SEC squad. But, that's never the narrative -- it's always how great the SEC is, top to bottom.

No other conference gets the benefit of the doubt -- despite the fact that some of them (especially the Pac10) deserves it.

dabvu2498
11-27-2009, 11:51 PM
But that same mid-tier SEC team beat one of the Big East's top 3 teams earlier this season, thus, the benefit of the doubt.

Boston Red
11-28-2009, 01:14 AM

If they had played Alabama's or Florida's schedule (i.e. not had to play either of those teams yet), probably so.

GAC
11-28-2009, 06:49 AM

BINGO!

To me, the highlight of this game wasn't that Pike threw 6 Tds. Tony Pike is Tony Pike. Heck of a player (QB). So I'm not trying to take anything away from Pike; but the Illinois defense overall is downright terrible, so Pike should have had a field day (and did).

It's that the Bearcat's defense allowed the worst scoring offense in the Big 10 (and in the cellar nationally), as well as a QB (Juice) who isn't even a "blip" on the screen, as far as QBs go this year, to throw for 282 yds (307 total), 3 TDs, and allowed an awful Illinois team to actually put up more total yards (476 to 420).

But here is what concerns me about the Bearcats....

Illinois' rushing defense - again terrible - held the Bearcats to -6 yds rushing at halftime, and 22 yards total for the game.

redsmetz
11-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Funny thing. We're up in Chicago for Thanksgiving and yesterday we walked over to Wrigley from our daughter's apartment. Heading down from the park looking for a place to have lunch and watch the UC/Illinois game, I said to my family that I wish I had worn my UC sweatshirt. Some folks were passing us and the guy hollers back, "I am!" and lifts his jacket to show his UC t-shirt. Later on we ran into one of my daughter's college roommates and told them that story and she said, "Oh I have mine too" and showed an old style Bearcat shirt. Too funny.

BTW, the place we ate had a shelf with the hats for each NL Central team and the order they finished. My oldest daughter noticed they had us and Houston backwards. I told the bartender if he wanted happy customers, he should switch it. He did. I told him I'd be back next year to make sure he had it right. Hopefully we'll have moved up.

GIDP
11-28-2009, 07:11 AM
But that same mid-tier SEC team beat one of the Big East's top 3 teams earlier this season, thus, the benefit of the doubt.

LSU beat Auburn by 21 where Alabama only beat em by 5. Then LSU lost to Miss State by 3 but Alabama beat em by 28.

See how silly comparing wins and losses is?

GAC
11-28-2009, 07:39 AM
And the Alabama-Auburn and Pitt-WVU games were some good football to watch IMO.

WV has been erratic this year, but still as good ball club. They gave the Bearcats a game of it, so I don't know if much should be made of Pitt's loss yesterday. Next week's game is at Pitt, who can still earn the conference's Bowl Championship Series berth with a win over the Bearcats.

Last year, and since joining the BE in '05, the Bearcats finally got over the hump in their head-to-head match ups with Pitt winning 28-21 at Nippert Field.

I still see the Bearcats winning next week, but it should be a good game IMO.

dabvu2498
11-28-2009, 09:53 AM
LSU beat Auburn by 21 where Alabama only beat em by 5. Then LSU lost to Miss State by 3 but Alabama beat em by 28. See how silly comparing wins and losses is? Yes. Now stop comparing UC's close wins to other teams' close wins. Thank you. Btw, LSU didn't lose to Miss St.

will5979
11-28-2009, 10:21 AM
And the Alabama-Auburn and Pitt-WVU games were some good football to watch IMO.

WV has been erratic this year, but still as good ball club. They gave the Bearcats a game of it, so I don't know if much should be made of Pitt's loss yesterday. Next week's game is at Pitt, who can still earn the conference's Bowl Championship Series berth with a win over the Bearcats.

Last year, and since joining the BE in '05, the Bearcats finally got over the hump in their head-to-head match ups with Pitt winning 28-21 at Nippert Field.

I still see the Bearcats winning next week, but it should be a good game IMO.

It was fun beating Pitt last night, I was there! Destroy those bums.

Revering4Blue
11-28-2009, 11:07 AM
If they had played Alabama's or Florida's schedule (i.e. not had to play either of those teams yet), probably so.

Exactly.

Ok, I'm a UC fan, but this defense is horrible. They have given up 36 points to an Illinois team that is awful

Or we can look at this way--The Illini offense finally lived up to their potential. This is what most fans/pundits expected from them all season. Keep in mind that this was OC Mike Schultz's first year, following a successful stint at TCU. Some elements of the much more conservative TCU offense, such as drop-back passing and the I-formation in non-short yardage situations, were implemented early with disastrous results. Juice's injuries didn't help either.

I do agree with the prevailing opinion that for the Bearcats to beat a team like Texas, they'll have to outscore them. Not an easy proposition.

jimbo
11-28-2009, 01:27 PM
It's underrated because, as a concept, it's dead with the way modern football games are officiated. It's hard to hold any passing offense in check, absent a gigantic talent gap.

Thus, if you want to compete, you'd better be scoring points too.

I don't think clock control is dead at all. I'm not talking about using strictly a running game, I just think that championship teams typically have a good balance on offense between running and passing. If you rely strictly on passing, you may put up big numbers but you will always remain susceptible to allowing opponents to remain in the game.

The most effective way of holding a passing offense in check is to control the clock and keep the ball out of their hands.