PDA

View Full Version : UC Football 2009 Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Cyclone792
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Figured I'd go ahead and start the thread ...

UC starts the season nicely by blasting Rutgers on the road! Now on to SE Missouri State next week - how we lookin' boys?

GIDP
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I wonder if ESPN is going to mention them now? I heard they didnt even mention UC in the big east preview on ESPN earlier this month :laugh:

GoReds33
09-07-2009, 10:28 PM
The offense was just rollin right along. I'm going to try to get student tickets for the weekend. For anyone who wants to see a game, UC has the SE Missouri tickets cheaper than any other games this year.

paintmered
09-07-2009, 10:31 PM
It's not too late to pick to a season ticket or 8. The football team is holding up their end of the bargain.

HeatherC1212
09-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm going to use my 1000th post here to congratulation UC on their great conference win tonight and it was on the road no less! That was an awesome game and I'm glad the Bearcats have started off their season so well. I will definitely be checking out tickets for some of the home games this year. I'd love to see the guys play in person this year. :D

Hoosier Red
09-07-2009, 10:53 PM
It's not too late to pick to a season ticket or 8. The football team is holding up their end of the bargain.

No kidding, fans need to do their part to make this a big time program. Don't get outdrawn by Indiana.

Chip R
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Didn't see much of it because of the Reds game but that was a beatdown.

paintmered
09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
UC football non-UCATS reserved season tickets: $262 (6 games)

Bengals football: $640 (10 single game tickets)

Make the switch. You'll be glad you did.

mroby85
09-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry but UC football doesn't come close to comparing to Bengals football. Suppose the Bengals are bad, which is fine, but you're still seeing NFL players come through, not teams like Rutgers, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, those being the top talents you see.

Caveat Emperor
09-07-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry but UC football doesn't come close to comparing to Bengals football. Suppose the Bengals are bad, which is fine, but you're still seeing NFL players come through, not teams like Rutgers, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, those being the top talents you see.

Spoken like a man who has never been to a big-time college football game.

I mean, by that logic, why drive to Columbus this weekend to watch OSU v. USC? You're only going to see a few NFL-caliber players on the field. Much better off staying in town to watch the Bengals and the Broncos where EVERYONE is an NFL talent. Right?

Sorry, but Paint's right. Brian Kelly's UC program is a far superior value (when you consider atmosphere at the games, competitiveness of the team, and cost involved) to a Bengals season ticket, IMO.

paintmered
09-08-2009, 12:01 AM
A little fact from my back pocket: The Big East produced more draft picks in 2009 per team than any NCAA conference.

And then there's this:

Career game puts spotlight on Pike
Sep. 7, 2009
By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- He's a better pure passer and more NFL ready than Tim Tebow. He's got a stronger arm than Colt McCoy.

He's got the smarts of Jevan Snead and unlike Sam Bradford has two perfectly healthy shoulders.

Some NFL scouts believe he's one of the fastest risers in all of college football and by the end of the season might be a first-round pick.

His name is Tony Pike and many of you have never heard of him. Stop lying, you haven't.

Rutgers University knows him well. In front of a home record crowd of 53,737 at beautiful Rutgers Stadium on Monday, Pike put on a show. No, show isn't the word. Pike took Greg Schiano's defense and did things to it that violated state decency laws.

This wasn't a game as much as it was a national coronation. America, meet Tony Pike and Tony Pike, please meet America.

Cincinnati 47, Rutgers 15 and Pike 1. As in, one possible beginning of a special run for a mostly, until now, nationally unknown player.

"I think this is a huge, huge game for us," Pike said.

"But we can get better," he said. "We're light years ahead of where we were last year at this time and we can get better."

Better? That's a tad scary. The Bearcats put up almost 600 yards of offense, averaged 8.1 yards a play and scored on all six of its trips to the red zone.

While Rutgers certainly aided Pike with missed tackles, truncated intestines and ineffectual game planning there still was little the defense could've done even if they had played flawlessly. Pike was that good, finishing 27 of 34 for a career-best 362 yards. He tossed three touchdown passes.

"No excuses," Schiano said, "we got whooped."

Pike is an important story because his conference needs an ignition source. Or, perhaps more bluntly, it needs a hero.

The Big East is the most disrespected big-time conference in all of college football. At the beginning of the year none of its teams were ranked in the top 25, and the football portion of Big East athletics is a joke.

Rutgers entered this year as a hopeful to change the image of the league for the better, but after this thumping the only thing the Scarlet Knights changed was their underwear.

Pike was hot from the start and though Cincinnati wasn't exactly playing the Florida Gators it's extremely easy to see there's talent leaking from every pore. Pike can deliver every throw and for someone who is 6-6 moves quickly. He reads defenses skillfully and is highly accurate.

It's a simple thing: The ball goes where it's supposed to, with the required velocity, and the chains keep moving.

Pike started the game completing his first six passes and his first incompletion was a drop. Early he was 9 of 11 for 110 yards and that quickly mushroomed into 20 of 25 for 286 yards and two touchdowns in the first half alone. He made only one bad throw the entire game, and it came on a screen pass. Even that was fluky. Rutgers defensive end Alex Silvestro bounced into the air like Moses Malone and plucked the football out of the sky.

Cincinnati's first-half possessions ended with: touchdown, field goal, interception, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown then the end of the half. None of their lengthier first-half drives (81, 62, 63, 71 and 58 yards) took longer than 2 minutes, 53 seconds.

Pike had a career high of 337 yards passing by the third quarter.

The third quarter.

If Pike didn't sit for a chunk of the second half he'd have passed for a googolplex.

"His leadership level has just gone through the roof," Cincinnati lineman Jeff Linkenbach said of Pike.

The Bearcats had two additional helpful factors in their trouncing of Rutgers. Pike began studying Rutgers' defense when the team first learned in the spring they were playing the Scarlet Knights. "He really did his due diligence on the reads," Kelly said.

Kelly also admitted that when Cincinnati's coaching staff traveled to Gainesville and studied how the Florida coaching staff used Tebow, Kelly hijacked some of those elements and incorporated them into his scheme. Rutgers looked completely unprepared for those Wildcat plays.

Schiano seemed to know Pike's Peak was coming. He spoke about the quarterback just several days before the game. Schiano's words didn't appear to be the usual Lou Holtz-like pregame gobbledygook. Schiano actually believed what he said about Pike and was almost prophetic.

"We didn't face Tony last year because of injury," Schiano said. "But when you watch tape of him, he certainly is as advertised. He's big, he's strong. He can throw the ball down the field vertically. Has nice touch in the short game. I wouldn't call him a runner, but he's definitely athletic, can avoid the rush, when he needs to run, he can run. Avoiding the rush, keeping his eyes down the field, throwing the ball down the field, he's got the arm to do it. He can really hurt you that way.

"The thing [is] that I look at Tony Pike and say, he's a big-time college quarterback. This guy is going to be I think a big-time pro quarterback. He can make all the throws. It will be interesting to see how much more they open it up."

Well, he would have to say Cincinnati opened it up quite a bit. Saying they opened it up is like saying Jose Canseco took a little bit of steroids. Pike didn't just open up a can on Rutgers he might've opened up a door for an entire conference.

A door to respectability.

Finally.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12171919

GIDP
09-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Id watch an NFL game over a college game pretty much every time. Unless its some super match up obviously.

BearcatShane
09-08-2009, 12:24 AM
I really can't afford it but I do both college and the NFL. I win! And I love them both.

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Cincy looked awesome. They have quickly become one of my favorite college football teams to watch. Brian Kelly is an excellent coach.

travisgrimes
09-08-2009, 12:34 AM
ESPN talked about UC in the pregame leading up to Miami vs. Florida State. Lou Holtz said they will repeat at Big East champions and says he hasn't seen an offense look that good in Week 1 in a LONG time. Mark May agreed and said Cincinnati will be in a BCS bowl game if Brian Kelly has anything to do with it. Reece Davis then said if Brian Kelly were stock he is skyrocketing up and everyone should be buying.

Caveat Emperor
09-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Reece Davis then said if Brian Kelly were stock he is skyrocketing up and everyone should be buying.

Keeping Brian Kelly should be job #1 for the school, but I don't know that it will be possible if he makes another BCS bowl this year.

travisgrimes
09-08-2009, 12:57 AM
If Charlie Weis doesnt win 9-10 games this season he will be out of a job and if Urban Meyer doesnt leave Florida to go to Notre Dame you better believe Brian Kelly would be option #2 and would leave for ND in a second.

paintmered
09-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Keeping Brian Kelly should be job #1 for the school, but I don't know that it will be possible if he makes another BCS bowl this year.

I'm not delusional that Brian Kelly will spend the rest of his career at UC. However, I don't think that money alone will be enough to get him to move to another school. Remember, he's already turned down Notre Dame, Tennessee, UCLA and Washington. If it was about the money alone, he'd have been gone long ago. Shoot, he may turn into a Frank Beamer and stick around for thirty years.

In his contract negotiations with UC, Kelly has been adamant about the administration giving him the infrastructure to build a top program. That's why there will be all-weather practice fields to be built on campus. UC soon will have to make some difficult decisions on the future of Nippert, and so on (the architectural study will be done in December). Never has it been about the salary.

Also don't lose sight of Kelly's ultimate goal: win a national championship. In the Big East, he's got only seven opponents standing in his way.

No matter what happens, UC football is in a much better position than we were pre-Kelly. Let's not allow this to detract from enjoying this season.

travisgrimes
09-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Hey I wouldn't mind him leaving cuz then my high school coach, Kerry Coombs, would most likely be the one to take over> :-)

DoogMinAmo
09-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Wow.

From a UC fan's prespective, it was just sheer dominance. From a Big East fan's perspective, is UC that good, or is RU that bad? The conference needs all teams to step up to get the conference some recognition and respect. That being said, having a strong, dominant team is good to relieve some of the constant pressure brought on by national media of the worthiness of the BCS standing of the conference.

Because I ama Cincinnati fan and will only allow myself to enjoy this with tempered enthusiasm... Items of concern:

-how does Pike react when he doesnt have all day to throw?
-can the O-line really run block as well as they showed?
-how does the defense react to an offense and QB that are seasoned?
-can they stop runs up the gut?
-how does special teams do in a tight game where field position and field goals can win or lose the contest?

More or less it translates to: Can this team be as GREAT as they appear?

paintmered
09-08-2009, 01:14 AM
UC can't count on Rutgers to help the strength of schedule since Rutgers' out-of-conference schedule is Howard, Florida International, @ Maryland, Texas Southern and @ Army.

That's weak sauce.

BearcatShane
09-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Paintmered, Washington and Georgia Tech are the only notable teams that have actually ofered BK the job. He meet with people from Tenn here in Cincinnati last November but they did NOT offer him the gig.

BearcatShane
09-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Oh and by the way, if this team gets out of Corvallis with a win on September 19th, they have a chance to go unbeaten. You can call me crazy but they are very, very good. Pead, Gilyard and Woods are absolutley electric on offense.

Caveat Emperor
09-08-2009, 03:16 AM
If Charlie Weis doesnt win 9-10 games this season he will be out of a job and if Urban Meyer doesnt leave Florida to go to Notre Dame you better believe Brian Kelly would be option #2 and would leave for ND in a second.

I tend to think Jon Gruden will be angling for that job as well -- though the Irish might be a bit sour on looking to the NFL for solution. Having said that, ND looked pretty damn good on Saturday. Reports of Weis' death may be a tad premature.

NorrisHopper30
09-08-2009, 03:50 AM
@ Oregon State should be our toughest game this year...either that or WVU or @Pitt.

Boston Red
09-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Id watch an NFL game over a college game pretty much every time. Unless its some super match up obviously.

I'm exactly the opposite personally. I find the NFL kind of dull.

Congrats to UC. As a Louisville fan, I expect UC to turn that 70-7 from 2004 around on the Cards this year.

Highlifeman21
09-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Definitely enjoyed the Pike to Gilyard connection.

Without knowing other top QB to WR connections off the top of my head, I'd put Pike to Gilyard within my biased Top 5, but easily in a national unbiased Top 10.

reds1869
09-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm a Marshall and Xavier alum, so I don't hold a special place in my heart for the Cats. But I watched the game yesterday and sat in amazement of how far the program has come. Coach Kelly can and will win a national title if he stays at UC. They will also pick up a lot of fans...heck, I've even found myself pulling for them more than once the past few years. The Rutgers game was sheer dominance of a much tougher opponent than 90% of the Big East opened with. The Bearcats are the team to beat and I will say a dark horse contender on the national scene.

Redlegs23
09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow that was an impressive game from the Cats. Dropping 45 points against the preseason favorite in their newly expanded stadium is awesome. Especially since Pike and most of the studs didn't even play the 4th quarter. Defense didn't look bad for having 10 new guys on the field, but I don't want to get too optimistic about them yet, Rutgers offense was pretty inept most of the day. The season couldn't have started any better.

For those of you considering going to a game I encourage you to do it, the atmosphere at Nippert stadium is awesome, and you're going to see some good football from these guys.

Roy Tucker
09-08-2009, 01:58 PM
UC looked very good. If Kelly hadn't taken his foot off the gas after the 3rd quarter, the score would have been much worse. UC ought to be at least in the top 25. I look for big things for them this year.

Kelly's pre-game whining about opening at Rutgers seems a little silly now. But I understand he's looking for every angle and advantage he can possibly get. The guy doesn't miss a trick.

Cyclone792
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
UC's ranked 23rd in both the USA Today Coaches' poll and the AP poll. I don't care much about the AP poll since it isn't factored into the BCS, but it's nice to crack the top 25 early in the Coaches' poll.

If UC can win at Oregon State and run the table on the early non-conference schedule, they'd have a solid ranking heading into the remainder of Big East play.

Eric_the_Red
09-08-2009, 03:19 PM
UC is now #23 in the AP & USA Today Polls.
#21 in ESPN Power Rankings.

Edit: Looks like Cyclone beat me to it.

Caveat Emperor
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Kelly's pre-game whining about opening at Rutgers seems a little silly now. But I understand he's looking for every angle and advantage he can possibly get. The guy doesn't miss a trick.

I'm very interested to see what kind of a coach Kelly is when his team has the "X" on their back vs. being the underdog and upstart. I think that will show what kind of long-term future he has as a coach -- hopefully at UC but also at any larger program.

I sense the buzz is back about UC football. It's all anyone wanted to talk about at work today around the courthouse.

Hopefully the city and alums respond and get the games sold out.

Redlegs23
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm very interested to see what kind of a coach Kelly is when his team has the "X" on their back vs. being the underdog and upstart. I think that will show what kind of long-term future he has as a coach -- hopefully at UC but also at any larger program.

I sense the buzz is back about UC football. It's all anyone wanted to talk about at work today around the courthouse.

Hopefully the city and alums respond and get the games sold out.

Did you ever buy the season tickets you thought about getting? As a UC fan we want you to join in on the fun. Let's fill up Nippert for these guys, they deserve it!

Reds4Life
09-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Glad I dumped my Bengals season tickets and used the cash for UC tickets this year.

mroby85
09-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Spoken like a man who has never been to a big-time college football game.

I mean, by that logic, why drive to Columbus this weekend to watch OSU v. USC? You're only going to see a few NFL-caliber players on the field. Much better off staying in town to watch the Bengals and the Broncos where EVERYONE is an NFL talent. Right?

Sorry, but Paint's right. Brian Kelly's UC program is a far superior value (when you consider atmosphere at the games, competitiveness of the team, and cost involved) to a Bengals season ticket, IMO.

I guess the Ohio State Michigan game in 2006 I went to wasn't high profile, or the USC game that i'm going to this weekend. UC football is not Ohio State football, in my opinion. I love college football, but only when it's the elite teams. When you go see UC, you see them play a weak big east conference, with no huge schools on the schedule to face them head to head. It's nothing personal against UC, but i'd rather spend my $ on Bengals tickets any day of the week.

NorrisHopper30
09-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I guess the Ohio State Michigan game in 2006 I went to wasn't high profile, or the USC game that i'm going to this weekend. UC football is not Ohio State football, in my opinion. I love college football, but only when it's the elite teams. When you go see UC, you see them play a weak big east conference, with no huge schools on the schedule to face them head to head. It's nothing personal against UC, but i'd rather spend my $ on Bengals tickets any day of the week.
We play Oklahoma, Oregon State, Fresno State the past few years. 2012 we play Ohio State, Miami Fl and Virginia Tech in the same year. 2010 we play Tennessee and Oklahoma. Ohio State plays the Big ten and USC the past 2 years. Other than that it's Youngstown state and the little sister of the poor.

*BaseClogger*
09-09-2009, 02:57 AM
We play Oklahoma, Oregon State, Fresno State the past few years. 2012 we play Ohio State, Miami Fl and Virginia Tech in the same year. 2010 we play Tennessee and Oklahoma. Ohio State plays the Big ten and USC the past 2 years. Other than that it's Youngstown state and the little sister of the poor.

We are talking about buying UC Season tickets, so you can't really count Oklahoma since they played them on the road.

When did you guys play Fresno State?

Most of these marquee matchups are once again on the road. No one is questioning UC's scheduling strength, but the fact of the matter is that due to their current facilities they will be playing most of the big dogs on the road.

Lastly, would you like to reclarify your point about Ohio State's schedule? Because from my viewpoint you don't have a point...

Caveat Emperor
09-09-2009, 08:20 AM

You said you'd rather watch NFL players than schools like West Virginia, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh. I suppose USC and Ohio State are different because a few more of their guys go pro every year?

The schools you rattled off (WVU, Rutgers, Pitt) have produced some amazing players (Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Larry Fitzgerald just in the past few years) and played some amazing games. Schools even smaller have given us current NFL superstars like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Forte, and Michael Turner.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. You're free to have your own preferences, but I think if you limit yourself to watching just a few 15-20 schools, you miss out on not only a ton of great games but a ton of great players as well.

reds1869
09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
You said you'd rather watch NFL players than schools like West Virginia, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh. I suppose USC and Ohio State are different because a few more of their guys go pro every year?

The schools you rattled off (WVU, Rutgers, Pitt) have produced some amazing players (Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Larry Fitzgerald just in the past few years) and played some amazing games. Schools even smaller have given us current NFL superstars like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Forte, and Michael Turner.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. You're free to have your own preferences, but I think if you limit yourself to watching just a few 15-20 schools, you miss out on not only a ton of great games but a ton of great players as well.

Case in point is my alma mater, Marshall. Not exactly a powerhouse despite our nice run in the 90s. If you had limited yourself to a handful of schools back then, you would have missed out on a breathtaking Chad Pennington to Randy Moss combo. Over the years you would have overlooked players like Troy Brown, Byron Leftwich and Ahmad Bradhsaw. Or lesser known NFLers such as Mike Bartrum, Chris Hanson, Chris Crocker, Steve Scuillo, Doug Legursky and many others. We saw in-conference opposition such as Big Ben, Michael Turner, Deangelo Williams and Antonio Gates. Great players are not just limited to the bigger BCS schools.

Reds Freak
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Are we not allowed to support both the Bengals and the Bearcats? Why does it have to be one or the other? That's all Lance talked about yesterday was Bengals vs. Bearcats. Last I checked, they play in different leagues. I, for one, am going to root for and enjoy the success of both teams...

paintmered
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Are we not allowed to support both the Bengals and the Bearcats? Why does it have to be one or the other? That's all Lance talked about yesterday was Bengals vs. Bearcats. Last I checked, they play in different leagues. I, for one, am going to root for and enjoy the success of both teams...

I've been a Bengals fan all my life. I just prefer to support one over the other with my money.

It's not that it has to be one vs. the other. It's that now there is a viable alternative for a city that has come to know nothing other than losing football. It's frustrating for UC fans to see the Bengals sell out every game while UC struggles to find 35,000 to fill Nippert.

dougdirt
09-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I've been a Bengals fan all my life. I just prefer to support one over the other with my money.

It's not that it has to be one vs. the other. It's that now there is a viable alternative for a city that has come to know nothing other than losing football. It's frustrating for UC fans to see the Bengals sell out every game while UC struggles to find 35,000 to fill Nippert.

The issue is pretty simple. Every college grad/student/fan in this area only has 1 pro team to choose from. They have 10-15 viable options to choose from in college football. I have always been a UC fan. If Miami of Ohio started some great run, I still wouldn't be a fan of them. Same goes for every other school that is not UC or Ohio State. Its much easier to sell 65,000 seats to 800,000 people than 35,000 seats to 800,000 people divided by 15.

Cyclone792
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
We are talking about buying UC Season tickets, so you can't really count Oklahoma since they played them on the road.

Most of these marquee matchups are once again on the road. No one is questioning UC's scheduling strength, but the fact of the matter is that due to their current facilities they will be playing most of the big dogs on the road.

Lastly, would you like to reclarify your point about Ohio State's schedule? Because from my viewpoint you don't have a point...

UC plays Fresno State in Nippert later this month, and Illinois also comes to Nippert on Black Friday this season. Oklahoma comes into town in 2010 (game is at PBS). North Carolina State will be the BCS team UC hosts in 2011, though it remains to be seen how solid the Wolfpack may be that season. Virginia Tech rolls this way in 2012.

For the most part, UC's been scheduling home-and-homes with the BCS schools and solid non-BCS schools (ala Fresno State). Oregon State was a home-and-home, and we hosted them in 2007. Oklahoma, Fresno State, Illinois, NC State and Virginia Tech are all home-and-homes, though with the exception of Fresno State and NC State, the home-and-homes have been stretched over a few seasons. Ohio State and Tennessee are the only big dogs on UC's schedule that will be on the road without a return home game here in Cincinnati.

The Hawaii game last season was an exception, but that game happened because of the payout incentive and 13th game offered to teams willing to travel there.

Chip R
09-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Not that it has to be one or the other but they are competing for the entertainment dollar of the football loving public.

Redlegs23
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM

UC had 6 get drafted this past year. Not many schools had more than that. OSU had 7 I think. His logic doesn't add up.

Redlegs23
09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
When you go see UC, you see them play a weak big east conference, with no huge schools on the schedule to face them head to head.

Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, WVU, Pitt, Oregon State...I would love to hear your definition of "huge schools" if these don't qualify.

UC finished in the top 20 the past two years. Six players off of last year's team got drafted and they're still ranked #23 this year.

The only thing that's not "elite" enough is the media perception and perception of some people in this city that still view UC as being small time.

Redlegs23
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Oregon State, Oklahoma, Fresno State, Illinois, & Virginia Tech all signed home and homes with UC recently. Ohio State was supposed to play in Cincy until they paid $1 million to move the game to OSU (won't get into the debate over why it was moved). Add in the conference games and there are plenty of big dogs coming to UC.

*BaseClogger*
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
UC plays Fresno State in Nippert later this month, and Illinois also comes to Nippert on Black Friday this season. Oklahoma comes into town in 2010 (game is at PBS). North Carolina State will be the BCS team UC hosts in 2011, though it remains to be seen how solid the Wolfpack may be that season. Virginia Tech rolls this way in 2012.

For the most part, UC's been scheduling home-and-homes with the BCS schools and solid non-BCS schools (ala Fresno State). Oregon State was a home-and-home, and we hosted them in 2007. Oklahoma, Fresno State, Illinois, NC State and Virginia Tech are all home-and-homes, though with the exception of Fresno State and NC State, the home-and-homes have been stretched over a few seasons. Ohio State and Tennessee are the only big dogs on UC's schedule that will be on the road without a return home game here in Cincinnati.

The Hawaii game last season was an exception, but that game happened because of the payout incentive and 13th game offered to teams willing to travel there.

Does it look like they will continue to have to play tough OOC opponents in PBS or can they attract those teams to Nippert?

acredsfan
09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Does it look like they will continue to have to play tough OOC opponents in PBS or can they attract those teams to Nippert?They are going to expand Nippert one way or another, so they will be able to attract these teams to campus. UC realizes the only way to keep BK for any amount of time is to raise money, and that means getting more money from ticket sales.

Cyclone792
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Does it look like they will continue to have to play tough OOC opponents in PBS or can they attract those teams to Nippert?

The only reason the Oklahoma game is headed to PBS is because of capacity problems at Nippert; it's not really an issue of Oklahoma refusing to play there. Nippert's capacity is only 35,097, and the expansion plans are a tough task because the stadium is land-locked by several buildings.

There's another firm doing a Nippert expansion study currently, and they're expected to have some results later on this year.

LoganBuck
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
The only reason the Oklahoma game is headed to PBS is because of capacity problems at Nippert; it's not really an issue of Oklahoma refusing to play there. Nippert's capacity is only 35,097, and the expansion plans are a tough task because the stadium is land-locked by several buildings.

There's another firm doing a Nippert expansion study currently, and they're expected to have some results later on this year.

What is the likely capacity of Nippert with an expansion? How many more seats are they trying to add? I guess what I am trying to say is what is the magic number they are looking for? 45000? 55000+?

Good things going on in Clifton right now.

WMR
09-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Why are they trying to expand Nippert when UC already struggles to fill their paltry 35k on a regular basis?

acredsfan
09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Why are they trying to expand Nippert when UC already struggles to fill their paltry 35k on a regular basis?They struggled until last year. Now it's no longer the case. The question is can they keep doing it. If they want to keep Brian Kelly, they have to start the expansion project very soon. If they keep Kelly, they won't struggle to fill the stadium not matter what size it is. The new part of the equation will be the new president and what they allow the athletic department do with the stadium.

WMR
09-09-2009, 03:15 PM
They struggled until last year. Now it's no longer the case. The question is can they keep doing it. If they want to keep Brian Kelly, they have to start the expansion project very soon. If they keep Kelly, they won't struggle to fill the stadium not matter what size it is.

So they've sold out every home game this season already?

WMR
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Building a huge stadium addition at a school that has traditionally struggled to draw and keep fans when you also play in the Big East conference is a risky proposition and hardly a 'sure thing.' Way too many in-conference 'throw away' games in the eyes of the 'average fan.' Perhaps we're just talking about 5-10k seats here which would be easier to understand, I suppose.

Redlegs23
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
So they've sold out every home game this season already?

I don't think so, but with walk up sales I believe they are expecting to sell out every game. They sold out all but the first one against Eastern Kentucky last year I believe.

Redlegs23
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Building a huge stadium addition at a school that has traditionally struggled to draw and keep fans when you also play in the Big East conference is a risky proposition and hardly a 'sure thing.' Perhaps we're just talking about 5-10k seats here which would be easier to understand, I suppose.

No talks at all of building a huge stadium. They're keeping Nippert, just renovating and expanding it. Last I heard was the study they're working on now is planning to add luxury suites and 10,000 seats. Not sure why the Big East makes it risky, UC has the smallest stadium in the Big East.

WMR
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think so, but with walk up sales I believe they are expecting to sell out every game. They sold out all but the first one against Eastern Kentucky last year I believe.

That's good. Every game SHOULD be a strong sell-out, IMO, with such a small stadium considering UC's recent run of success. Anything less is a huge danger sign.

Caveat Emperor
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
That's good. Every game SHOULD be a strong sell-out, IMO, with such a small stadium considering UC's recent run of success. Anything less is a huge danger sign.

I think you also have to factor in a stagnant economy as well -- especially in this part of the country.

Really, UC is in a period where it should start to experience strong growth in fan support. They're starting to tap into previously dormant alums and to pull so-called "bandwagon" fans on board. More importantly, though, they're are engaging the student body.

Current students (and recent '07 / '08 grads) now have a taste of what big-time college football is like. They're packing into sold-out games, tailgating before matchups with national post-season implications, and watching a football team that not only wins but wins with a bit of flair. The atmosphere for some of these games has been electric. These students are the ones who will swell the season ticket base, as the graduate from the student section to general admission ticketing.

There were entire generations of UC students that went through the school thinking that Nippert Stadium was a waste of perfectly good parking space for the Shoemaker Center. It's been harder to engage those alums as fans because they don't have a tradition to draw upon. These current fans? It'll be a much easier sell to remind them how amazing the 2008 run was.

So yeah, they haven't reached the point where Nippert is a sell-out as soon as tickets go on sale in the summer -- but they're going to reach that point very soon, IMO. Better to be prepared for that with expansion plans that accommodate everyone who wants a ticket than be caught flat-footed and stagnant.

And that doesn't even get into the benefits for the "Keep Brian Kelly" plans.

SeeinRed
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM

UC is pretty much exactly where they need to be with attendance considering they're run of success is so recent. I definately wouldn't say they are struggling to fill the stadium at this point in time. Considering a couple years ago they started with a pretty much non-existant season ticket base you can't expect waitlists just yet. They aren't far off though. I have no doubt that by the time they figure out expansion plans it will be needed and they will easily be able to fill a bigger stadium as long as UC keeps playing so well.

Redlegs23
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM

I agree they should sell out no problem, and as a fan it's a little frustrating that they've had problems with it in the past. It's making the current success even more enjoyable though. The reason UC doesn't draw as many fans is due largely to the number of other teams that are in Cincy. UC contends with Miami, XU, OSU, and the Bengals for fans, (and to an certain extent UK) and doesn't really pull in the casual fans outside of Cincy because OSU has historically gotten those fans with their tradition and being the "state school". OSU and UK don't have competition in their cities for fans, and they are also the big powerhouse schools that are able to get the college sports fans from the rest of the state that live outside of Columbus or Lexington. UC will never have a fan base that large, but their fan base is growing. The people of Cincinnati who are not UC alums are starting to back this team, and UC is building the fan base with the current group of college students that are following this program. I even know some Xavier fans that are starting to follow UC football. There's a long way to go, but it's improving.

GoReds33
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I bought three student tickets for saturday. I just can't wait.

NorrisHopper30
09-09-2009, 07:51 PM

He said he'd rather go to an OSU home game. We play Fresno State in 2 weeks, Oregon State last year, and Oklahoma at home next year. WVU, Pitt, and a few other BE teams also provide a very nice game in a great atmosphere. Games are so fun in Nippert the place is rockin'. Also I forgot to mention we play Illinois (who may not be any good..they got super spanked) and Virginia Tech at home in 2012 or 2014.

NorrisHopper30
09-09-2009, 07:54 PM
And Nippert can most likely at the max seat 45,000 after updates if they do not demolish any buildings around Nippert. I'd say that's a solid number and we should be able to sell that out easy if the success continues.

*BaseClogger*
09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
You can't really compare the atmosphere at Nippert with that in Columbus though...

cincrazy
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
He said he'd rather go to an OSU home game. We play Fresno State in 2 weeks, Oregon State last year, and Oklahoma at home next year. WVU, Pitt, and a few other BE teams also provide a very nice game in a great atmosphere. Games are so fun in Nippert the place is rockin'. Also I forgot to mention we play Illinois (who may not be any good..they got super spanked) and Virginia Tech at home in 2012 or 2014.

I'm sure games at Nippert are incredible. And a big part of the reason is because of Brian Kelly rejuvenating this program. But being at the Shoe, seeing that band go out on the field, the team running out of the tunnel, especially in a big game.... I'm 100% convinced nothing on earth beats that.

But I may be a tad bit biased...

Cyclone792
09-09-2009, 10:43 PM
What is the likely capacity of Nippert with an expansion? How many more seats are they trying to add? I guess what I am trying to say is what is the magic number they are looking for? 45000? 55000+?

Good things going on in Clifton right now.

From what I've heard, the goal is to add 10k more seats and expand to 45k. Structurally, given the placement of the stadium and the buildings surrounding it, it's been determined that it's pretty much impossible to expand much beyond 45k. More importantly in the expansion, though, would be the addition of luxury boxes, suites, big revenue type spaces, etc.

Caveat Emperor
09-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm sure games at Nippert are incredible. And a big part of the reason is because of Brian Kelly rejuvenating this program. But being at the Shoe, seeing that band go out on the field, the team running out of the tunnel, especially in a big game.... I'm 100% convinced nothing on earth beats that.

But I may be a tad bit biased...

Of course you're biased -- just like Florida fans would be biased to say there's no experience like seeing a game at the Swamp, just like Notre Dame fans would say there's nothing quite like hearing the Note Dame Victory March as the Irish storm the field, just like Oregon fans would say there's nothing on earth comparable to the noise and excitement of a home game at Autzen Stadium.

That's the wonderful thing about college football that too many people forget -- there are hundreds of awesome traditions around the country. Cincinnati is hopefully forging their own piece of that greater whole.

The only real mistake you can ever make is having such a strong belief in your own superiority that you miss some of the coolness that's out there.

I'm not accusing you of that cin (you're allowed to have a favorite!), but I think it's something worth remembering as we enter into the yearly hate-off between various college fans.

LoganBuck
09-10-2009, 01:54 AM
From what I've heard, the goal is to add 10k more seats and expand to 45k. Structurally, given the placement of the stadium and the buildings surrounding it, it's been determined that it's pretty much impossible to expand much beyond 45k. More importantly in the expansion, though, would be the addition of luxury boxes, suites, big revenue type spaces, etc.

Sounds good in the short run. If they want to keep it going though they will have to really pound UCats memberships, and increase ticket prices. Will Cincinnati be able to support it long term? The answer will be on how serious they are about keeping coaches like Brian Kelly. He says all the right things now. But what happens if Rich Rodriguez falls off a cliff, or Charlie Weiss implodes. Can they withstand another run at Kelly from top dollar teams?

redsfandan
09-10-2009, 03:18 AM
The issue is pretty simple. Every college grad/student/fan in this area only has 1 pro team to choose from. They have 10-15 viable options to choose from in college football. I have always been a UC fan. If Miami of Ohio started some great run, I still wouldn't be a fan of them. Same goes for every other school that is not UC or Ohio State. Its much easier to sell 65,000 seats to 800,000 people than 35,000 seats to 800,000 people divided by 15.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that thinking Doug. We have to keep in mind what the Benguls track record has been the last 15 years and what UC has done the last few years. UC is an exciting team, they have a better shot then the Benguls to win each week, UC tickets are cheaper, and UC is already ranked. Who else (college or pro) around here (locally) can say all that? If someone doesn't want to drive to Columbus it wouldn't be surprising to me if heading to a UC game was their next choice.

bucksfan2
09-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Of course you're biased -- just like Florida fans would be biased to say there's no experience like seeing a game at the Swamp, just like Notre Dame fans would say there's nothing quite like hearing the Note Dame Victory March as the Irish storm the field, just like Oregon fans would say there's nothing on earth comparable to the noise and excitement of a home game at Autzen Stadium.

That's the wonderful thing about college football that too many people forget -- there are hundreds of awesome traditions around the country. Cincinnati is hopefully forging their own piece of that greater whole.

The only real mistake you can ever make is having such a strong belief in your own superiority that you miss some of the coolness that's out there.

I'm not accusing you of that cin (you're allowed to have a favorite!), but I think it's something worth remembering as we enter into the yearly hate-off between various college fans.

As an OSU grad I will go to a UC game, if the ticket prices are right, and I don't miss OSU's game. Its nothing against UC, but rather a personal preference.

A couple of years ago I heard Colin Cowherd talking on the radio about college football. He was talking about "big boy" college football. I have been to games at OSU and ND and the atmosphere is completely different. It is nothing against UC, but when you have 80,000+ people attending your game, the atmosphere and intensity are increased quite a bit. I would also say that while it would be ideal for UC to expand their stadium to 45K, I don't know if the area can handle that many people.

One problem UC has is that it is trying to forge its own identity so late in the game. They are trying to develop a tradition when there are such strong traditions in the area already. OSU has a big draw in Cincinnati as well as ND and UM. I also think that the big east being swayed by the money playing on your non traditional Sat game day. Playing on a Thurs, Fri, or Mon night are "cool" games for the fans, but you just don't see the big boys playing at those times. UC should have never had to play Rutgers to open up the season because the Big East and UC wanted the payday. (It worked out pretty damn well for UC though)

Hoosier Red
09-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Does UC still do the thing where the band sprints down the steps at Nippert to come onto the field. That was always my favorite part going as a kid.

By the way, there are a lot of things that rival an afternoon game at Memorial Stadium. Some might even say surpass an afternoon game at Memorial Stadium.

Cyclone792
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds good in the short run. If they want to keep it going though they will have to really pound UCats memberships, and increase ticket prices. Will Cincinnati be able to support it long term? The answer will be on how serious they are about keeping coaches like Brian Kelly. He says all the right things now. But what happens if Rich Rodriguez falls off a cliff, or Charlie Weiss implodes. Can they withstand another run at Kelly from top dollar teams?

If the program keeps winning, they'll generate the fan support and revenue. It's just a matter of how long will it take to get to the level that a guy like Kelly ultimately wants. Fortunately, at least publically, he's been very realistic about what he wants to see happen in the short-term future.

Ultimately, as far as Kelly leaving, Brian Kelly will do what Brian Kelly wants to do. He does say all the right things publically, and the school has worked their tails off trying to accomodate his requests for facility upgrades, etc. Of course, those things take some time to develop so it's not all going to happen overnight, but Kelly understands this.

Kelly himself has also mentioned repeatedly that his family loves it here, and it probably doesn't hurt that he has small children rather than grown children (i.e. much easier to move around if you're not having to worry about uprooting the kids). How much does all of that truly matter? Only Brian Kelly and his family knows.

Kelly could leave after this season, he could be here for 20 more years, or he could do something inbetween; I don't think anybody but Kelly and his family has much of an idea on that. All I know is that Minter finally helped get us back into some bowl games, then Dantonio further improved the program during his short stay, and then Kelly has taken the program another step (or three) beyond what Dantonio accomplished.

The program has continually improved for the better part of a decade now, and staying on that same path is a pretty nice goal to maintain. I'm just trying to enjoy it while it's here right now, because between the Lost Decade infecting GABP, Mike Brown being Mike Brown, and the recent downturn in UC hoops (though that's coming around now too finally), there hasn't been much to enjoy recently amongst Cincinnati sports teams.

Cyclone792
09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog04&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ada6629a0-7bd0-4605-8869-25a20cb5adabPost%3a41f98892-ecfb-4097-b248-51836d29c4b8&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Of all the positives that emerged from the lopsided win over Rutgers, Brian Kelly was happiest with the way his team responded to a difficult challenge going on the road for the first time this season, part of a continuing pattern that he cited all during the preseason of his players doing the little things off the field that he says contribute to winning championships.

“We had 26 first-time travelers,” Kelly said. “They didn’t know where the buses were. They didn’t know at the hotel that you pick up the key. It was new. Our seniors and our veterans did a great job of making it seamless. We were on time for everything. The biggest concern you have as a football coach is the uncertainty about how your team is going to handle themselves when they go on the road.

“I told them Sunday night, I brought them together and said, ‘Listen, I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow but you’re doing all the little things right to be successful. They were disciplined on (Monday) because they had been disciplined leading up to it.

“Out of the gates, they’ve done a nice job. They clearly have the right things in place for us to continue to be successful. Now we like to touch the stove when it’s hot once in a while, too, so it’s a work in progress, but the bottom line is that our guys are doing the little things right and they have been to be successful. We need to keep duplicating that week after week.”

Kelly said that focus on off-the-field details is a byproduct of the continuity that comes from a coaching staff being in place for several years.

“It has a lot to do with the consistent message from week to week that they know what to expect from me,” he said. “They know what the standards are so that they can pass that on to the other guys and say, ‘Hey, listen, you’re not going to get away with that. Don’t even try that because that’s just not going to work. You need to do it this way.’ It’s all part of it.”

SeeinRed
09-10-2009, 11:30 AM
As an OSU grad I will go to a UC game, if the ticket prices are right, and I don't miss OSU's game. Its nothing against UC, but rather a personal preference.

A couple of years ago I heard Colin Cowherd talking on the radio about college football. He was talking about "big boy" college football. I have been to games at OSU and ND and the atmosphere is completely different. It is nothing against UC, but when you have 80,000+ people attending your game, the atmosphere and intensity are increased quite a bit. I would also say that while it would be ideal for UC to expand their stadium to 45K, I don't know if the area can handle that many people.

One problem UC has is that it is trying to forge its own identity so late in the game. They are trying to develop a tradition when there are such strong traditions in the area already. OSU has a big draw in Cincinnati as well as ND and UM. I also think that the big east being swayed by the money playing on your non traditional Sat game day. Playing on a Thurs, Fri, or Mon night are "cool" games for the fans, but you just don't see the big boys playing at those times. UC should have never had to play Rutgers to open up the season because the Big East and UC wanted the payday. (It worked out pretty damn well for UC though)

I don't think there is a UC fan on this board that would say a UC game has the same feel as an OSU game. UC games are just as exciting to go to though. They are intimate and the setting is very cool in reguards to the stadium location. Sure, UC doesn't have the tradition or the huge stadium or an OSU type fan base, but they have put a product on the field that is just as exciting. I was at the Pitt game last year and the place was rockin.

To the point about playing on days other than Saturday, Its a very good thing for UC at this point. They get the national spotlight for that game. ESPN doesn't want to go up against other nationally televised games. They want to make sure their games get the spotlight. Just because the "big boys" don't play on those days doesn't mean it is a bad thing to have to do. UC needs that right now to grow as a program. I definately don't think it was a question of money for UC. ESPN pretty much forced their hand on Playing Rutgers to begin the season.

Its all just part of the journey.

Roy Tucker
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I think there is room in the Cincinnati football fan world for UC football. Why not start the tradition now? When else are you going to do it?

The key is keeping up the momentum they currently have. They need to do this for another 2-5 years so UC football becomes a habit for local fans. Right now, it's still on the borderline of a novelty act. Kelly has put them in the top 25 (if not top 10) BCS-bowl range. This is all new for UC football. The Minter years were just meh. Dantonio started to escalate the program but he was a fairly boring guy and the style of football they played was right out of the Big 10 playbook. Kelly has really put some juice in the program. *That* is what fans want to see.

Seeing a game at Nippert is a whole lot of fun. When the place gets rockin', its pretty amazing. Fans are closer to the field than at Ohio Stadium. It doesn't have the thunder that 105K fans can bring, but I'm sure it can be very intimidating to the opposing teams.

But they have to keep this going. If Kelly leaves soon, I think they are on thin ice and would need to get a guy like him and keep this style of football. Otherwise, they go back to a 1/2 full stadum and beg and plead for people to come.

SunDeck
09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't choose to go to a UC game because I thought it rivaled an OSU experience. I'd go to watch a darned good football team. Hence, my only trip to PBS this year will be gratis, compliments of an uncle who can't seem to find anyone more interesting than me to go with when they play Detroit (now, that'll be some quality football). And if you need any more evidence of my willingness to see good football in undesirable locations, I'll be at Elder HS tomorrow night.

paintmered
09-10-2009, 07:42 PM

What's the right ticket price?

bucksfan2
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
What's the right ticket price?

Free!

I will pay probably a max of $30 to go to a UC game. $30 + $5-$10 parking + $15 concessions really start to add up.

UC's football games aren't a bad time. If there is a conflict with OSU or a good football weekend, I would much rather spend the time channel surfing and watching multiple games than dropping $50 going to the UC game.

On a side note I probably won't pay over face for an OSU ticket. I probably wouldn't even pay face to sit in B deck. Although my wife would probably make me go. Each year I will get in the OSU lottery for alumni tickets, and maybe off in the future I will get a year or so of season tickets.

camisadelgolf
09-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Every time I go to a UC game, I have a blast. You get a lot of bang for your buck. NFL games are usually better, but they're significantly more expensive with a less friendly environment. In terms of value, I'm much more likely to go to a UC game.

SeeinRed
09-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Free!

I will pay probably a max of $30 to go to a UC game. $30 + $5-$10 parking + $15 concessions really start to add up.

UC's football games aren't a bad time. If there is a conflict with OSU or a good football weekend, I would much rather spend the time channel surfing and watching multiple games than dropping $50 going to the UC game.

On a side note I probably won't pay over face for an OSU ticket. I probably wouldn't even pay face to sit in B deck. Although my wife would probably make me go. Each year I will get in the OSU lottery for alumni tickets, and maybe off in the future I will get a year or so of season tickets.

Thats understandable, especially if they aren't the team you really root for. Likewise, I would like to go to OSU to watch a game, but not if I had to miss a UC game. Your #1 team is the one you really want to see.

Luckily, UC tickets are still a really good deal. One downside for the future is they are unlikely to stay that way if things continue to grow. Its been nice seeing UC get a little press nationally though.

bucksfan2
09-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Every time I go to a UC game, I have a blast. You get a lot of bang for your buck. NFL games are usually better, but they're significantly more expensive with a less friendly environment. In terms of value, I'm much more likely to go to a UC game.

This is not meant to be a knock on UC, but they play at a different level than OSU does. Now with Kelly they play a more exciting brand of football, which is more likely to bring your casual fans into the mix. Under Dantonio it was a boring style of football, that only the good fans can take.

You want to talk about value, how about $18/game for OSU student tickets. Especially the 2002 season. I got a little spoiled in my time at OSU.

I do have a slight problem with UC and crowds. I just think that area is ill equipped to handle a sell out crowd. Not only are they just getting used to it but the facilities just can't handle the crowd. Last year I went to the USF game and had a good time with the exception of the bathroom flooding.

Boston Red
09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
The level of the on-field action between UC and Ohio State isn't particularly different at this point (though Ohio State is still better). I agree that the atmosphere is completely different (if that's what you're going for).

camisadelgolf
09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
This is not meant to be a knock on UC, but they play at a different level than OSU does. Now with Kelly they play a more exciting brand of football, which is more likely to bring your casual fans into the mix. Under Dantonio it was a boring style of football, that only the good fans can take.

You want to talk about value, how about $18/game for OSU student tickets. Especially the 2002 season. I got a little spoiled in my time at OSU.

I do have a slight problem with UC and crowds. I just think that area is ill equipped to handle a sell out crowd. Not only are they just getting used to it but the facilities just can't handle the crowd. Last year I went to the USF game and had a good time with the exception of the bathroom flooding.
I actually prefer the Dantonio style of football (not that Kelly's brand isn't more exciting). But yeah, if you can go to a tOSU game for $18, I'd recommend that over a UC game. However, for most of us, it's not worth the drive.

Redlegs23
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I actually prefer the Dantonio style of football (not that Kelly's brand isn't more exciting). But yeah, if you can go to a tOSU game for $18, I'd recommend that over a UC game. However, for most of us, it's not worth the drive.

I think he meant the $18 was the price of a game as a student. UC student tickets are still free I believe.

SeeinRed
09-11-2009, 03:15 PM
The level of the on-field action between UC and Ohio State isn't particularly different at this point (though Ohio State is still better). I agree that the atmosphere is completely different (if that's what you're going for).

Ah, a good ol who's better discussion. I'm not sure OSU is better than UC at this point. It would be a really good game though. UC's offense is just outstanding. I'm not so sure OSU can keep up. It comes down to defense. OSU's is definately better, but without seeing UC play a good defense yet, I don't know how good you have to be to stop them. Now if you are talking about traditionally, then yeah, OSU wins. It'd be a really good game to see this year though.

Sorry, don't meant to pick on ya, I just couldn't resist!:D

Chip R
09-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Ah, a good ol who's better discussion. I'm not sure OSU is better than UC at this point. It would be a really good game though. UC's offense is just outstanding. I'm not so sure OSU can keep up. It comes down to defense. OSU's is definately better, but without seeing UC play a good defense yet, I don't know how good you have to be to stop them. Now if you are talking about traditionally, then yeah, OSU wins. It'd be a really good game to see this year though.

Now you've done it. :eek:

Boston Red
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Not a UC or OSU fan. Don't really care who is better. I was just responding to the OSU "whole other level" comment. I just wanted to conceed that OSU was better to keep OSU fans' heads from exploding.

SeeinRed
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Not a UC or OSU fan. Don't really care who is better. I was just responding to the OSU "whole other level" comment. I just wanted to conceed that OSU was better to keep OSU fans' heads from exploding.

LOL, but honestly if I was an OSU fan I'm not sure I could give in to the notion that they could be 2nd to UC. They have been a whole lot better for a whole lotta years. That gap was closed pretty fast considering. I'm not going to say UC is better after one week of football, but they argument could be made where it couldn't a couple years ago.

Now you've done it. :eek:

:lol: I can't very well say I wasn't responsible if this blows wide open, but even OSU fans have to admidt that it would be a very good game to watch. It doesn't make sense for OSU, but as a UC fan I would really like to see the battle for Ohio take place on a yearly basis.

Boy I love what BK has done. Even though it did start with Dantonio, UC wouldn't be where it is if not for BK. He was just the perfect pick for the job. How many times do you hear that about coaches today?

HeatherC1212
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
The UC game is starting off quite well. The Bearcats are all ready up 21-3 and it's not even the second quarter yet, LOL :lol:

GIDP
09-12-2009, 09:58 PM
42-3 holy crap

Reds4Life
09-12-2009, 10:01 PM
It's 49-3 UC and it's not even half time yet.

CrackerJack
09-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Watching OSU game, DVR'd UC game, saw score on ticker, sounds like a dull 2nd half is ahead. Time to start upgrading those cream puffs now UC, to next tier of puff maybe, ecspecially considering how relatively weak the BE is.

Boston Red
09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Watching OSU game, DVR'd UC game, saw score on ticker, sounds like a dull 2nd half is ahead. Time to start upgrading those cream puffs now UC, to next tier of puff maybe, ecspecially considering how relatively weak the BE is.

Nah, keep the cream puffs creamy. It's just once a year, and you don't want there to be ANY chance of losing that game.

HeatherC1212
09-12-2009, 10:42 PM
It's now 63-3!!! I think the only question left about this game is if the Bearcats break 100 points or not, LOL :laugh: :eek:

HeatherC1212
09-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, they didn't get to the 100 point mark but they did win the game tonight and it wasn't even their biggest margin of victory! They said we have to go back to 1926 and the 124-0 beating they gave Transylvania to get their biggest margin of victory. Now THAT is a beatdown, LOL :laugh: Anyway, the final score was 70-3 and it was all offense all the time for UC. I think they had their fourth, fifth, and sixth string guys out on the field by the start of the fourth quarter! That's awesome. Go Bearcats!! :jump:

Chip R
09-12-2009, 11:34 PM
They said we have to go back to 1926 and the 124-0 beating they gave Transylvania to get their biggest margin of victory.

In all fairness, I'm sure it was a day game. ;)

CrackerJack
09-13-2009, 12:12 AM
In all fairness, I'm sure it was a day game. ;)

Boo!

redsfandan
09-13-2009, 12:59 AM
It was pointed out earlier in this thread that UC plays Ohio State in 2012. But I'm starting to wonder what kind of score we'd see if they could play against each other this season.

acredsfan
09-13-2009, 01:49 AM
It was pointed out earlier in this thread that UC plays Ohio State in 2012. But I'm starting to wonder what kind of score we'd see if they could play against each other this season.I almost wish we could trade the annual game against Miami for a game a year against OSU. That'd be more entertaining at this stage in UC's progress as a football team. I'm getting tired of hearing UC plays in a weak Big East, I just want to see either UC or OSU win state bragging rights each year. Of course I'd be rooting for UC.

redsfandan
09-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah UC may not win but I think it might actually be closer than some Buckeye fans think. I know I'd like to see that game.

GIDP
09-13-2009, 03:10 AM
UC beating OSU would cause a mass suicide im guessing

Cyclone792
09-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Good to see a blowout win and more important (hopefully) no injured Bearcats.

Next week is the first big non-conference test of the year as UC heads to Oregon State. It'd be nice if UC could roll up there and come out with a solid win, but it's not going to be an easy task. It'd be a type of win that'd really help the BCS ranking when they come out later this season.

Speaking of Oregon State, they just kicked a field goal in the waning seconds at UNLV to take a 23-21 lead. The Beavers should be in the top 25 in both polls for next week's game if they can hang on and escape with a win tonight.

dougdirt
09-13-2009, 01:05 PM
So how bad is Quincy, who lost to SEMO by 69 points last week?

SunDeck
09-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Watching the game last night (actually, I flipped it off at half time), I wondered whether UC can really get a national attention playing teams like SEMO. They are certainly very strong this year, but does it hurt them to play a team that is so inferior?

Cyclone792
09-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Watching the game last night (actually, I flipped it off at half time), I wondered whether UC can really get a national attention playing teams like SEMO. They are certainly very strong this year, but does it hurt them to play a team that is so inferior?

I don't know why SE Missouri State was on the schedule either, but at least UC blew them out with ease. Last night's game was really only one of two games that I'd classify as an easy game, and the other one is up in Oxford against Miami (OH). Unfortunately Miami's just having a down year.

Nevertheless, if UC rolls out west to Corvallis and handles Oregon State in six days, then they'll start getting some serious national attention. Two other non-conference games on the schedule are Fresno State and Illinois so the overall schedule should shape up to be solid at the end of the season provided UC can take care of business on the field.

*BaseClogger*
09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't know why SE Missouri State was on the schedule either, but at least UC blew them out with ease. Last night's game was really only one of two games that I'd classify as an easy game, and the other one is up in Oxford against Miami (OH). Unfortunately Miami's just having a down year.

Nevertheless, if UC rolls out west to Corvallis and handles Oregon State in six days, then they'll start getting some serious national attention. Two other non-conference games on the schedule are Fresno State and Illinois so the overall schedule should shape up to be solid at the end of the season provided UC can take care of business on the field.

UC is going to need a little bit of help from those teams on their schedule too. A Fresno State victory over Wisconsin would have been a good start, but they need Oregon State, Fresno State, and Illinois to all have winnings/bowl seasons to increase their stature...

SunDeck
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I see they do have Oklahoma next year at PBS which might be the best game played there next year. Here is what they have posted for upcoming seasons:

Future Football Opponents

vs. Miami (OH)
vs. Oklahoma (Paul Brown Stadium)
at N.C. State
at Fresno State

vs. Albany
at Tennessee
vs. Akron
vs. N.C. State
at Miami (OH)

vs. Virginia Tech
at Ohio State

at Illinois

at Ohio State

dabvu2498
09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
It will be kinda sad when they let their contract with Miami run out after 2011.

*BaseClogger*
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
It will be kinda sad when they let their contract with Miami run out after 2011.

Who knows, by that time Miami might even be winning a few games? :dunno:

Cyclone792
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
UC is going to need a little bit of help from those teams on their schedule too. A Fresno State victory over Wisconsin would have been a good start, but they need Oregon State, Fresno State, and Illinois to all have winnings/bowl seasons to increase their stature...

UC has two BCS non-conference games on their schedule, and Fresno State is a solid non-BCS non-conference game on their schedule. That's a lot more than can be said for the vast majority of other BCS teams - in other words, the schedule is fine if UC takes care of business.

The proof is showing up in the polls already too. UC has jumped up to 17th in the AP poll, and they're now 21st in the Coaches poll. Putting in a solid showing and winning in Corvallis next weekend will send them soaring further up the polls.

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
The scary question I've been contemplating but am almost afraid to voice -- what if they go into Corvallis and roll Oregon State the way they did Rutgers?

This is the most important non-important game UC has played in a while.

Chip R
09-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Boo!

I doubt if they could look themselves in the mirror after that game.

Cyclone792
09-13-2009, 11:44 PM
The scary question I've been contemplating but am almost afraid to voice -- what if they go into Corvallis and roll Oregon State the way they did Rutgers?

This is the most important non-important game UC has played in a while.

It would be extremely nice to see UC do the same thing to Oregon State that they did to Rutgers, but I'm not going to expect it. I'm cautiously optimistic right now, but it's one of those games where UC's going to have to play well to give themselves a good shot to win. If they don't play well, it's going to be tough.

One thing that I think works in UC's favor is that Oregon State's defense is a bit on the inexperienced side, similar to UC's defense. I believe the Beavers only returned three defensive starters from last season, and if UC's offense is rolling early then they may be able to force Oregon State to alter their own offensive gameplan. This could be a key because much of the Beavers' offensive gameplan revolves around running back Jacquizz Rodgers, and the Beavers may feel they have to throw the ball more in an effort to keep up with UC's offense if Pike, Gilyard and the rest of the crew put up another good performance.

paintmered
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
The poor ROTC students ended up doing 384 push-ups last night. :eek:

Cyclone792
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
A couple buddies and I just picked up UC tickets via the three game mini-pack (we chose the West Virginia, Connecticut and Fresno State games), and we're not the only ones. The ticket office has been buzzing all day, according to the ticket rep I spoke with. If UC has a strong showing in Corvallis and comes home with another victory, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the season sells out shortly afterward.

I'll also give everyone a heads up that if you are interested in attending the UC/West Virginia game in November, you better act quickly. Very few tickets remain for that game.

Hoosier Red
09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
When it got to be 70-3 did the student's start chanting "Subway, Subway" ?
Do they still give away Subway for the basketball team scoring 75 and winning?

paintmered
09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
When it got to be 70-3 did the student's start chanting "Subway, Subway" ?
Do they still give away Subway for the basketball team scoring 75 and winning?

I think there were about 5 people left in the stands at that point. I left at halftime, and I haven't done that since UC was losing 70-3.

Hoosier Red
09-14-2009, 03:54 PM

UC may end up being a good test case but I think that notwithstanding the teams on the schedule, if a BCS conference team went undefeated, it would automatically move ahead of all other 1 or two defeated teams in the polls that it would make a national championship game. However, if UC loses a game(I suspect they will somewhere) it will move to the back of all the BCS 1 loss schools.

In short, I don't think it will matter much how the rest of the schedule performs.

bucksfan2
09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
This upcoming game against Oregon St. may be one of the most important financial games in UC's football history. A win at Oregon St. and UC is likely to sell out its season. A loss could derail all the good will that UC has built up and it may show up in ticket sales.

Wow! You want to talk about a bad deal for UC, going to Miami to play a game is a lose, lose proposition.

UC may be the favorite in every game they play until the Pitt game, the last game of the year.

If UC runs the table, however unlikely that is, they will be treated like an undefeated non-BCS school. And to be honest I can't argue with that. They just haven't beaten that big boy yet. Until they do they will always be considered on the same level as Utah, Boise, Hawaii, etc. They will have their best chance next year getting OU in Cincy.

*BaseClogger*
09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow! You want to talk about a bad deal for UC, going to Miami to play a game is a lose, lose proposition.

Huh?

Cyclone792
09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
If UC runs the table, however unlikely that is, they will be treated like an undefeated non-BCS school. And to be honest I can't argue with that. They just haven't beaten that big boy yet. Until they do they will always be considered on the same level as Utah, Boise, Hawaii, etc. They will have their best chance next year getting OU in Cincy.

Sorry, but if UC runs the table, they'll be treated just as any other BCS school who runs the table, and they would subsequently be ranked higher than all 1-loss BCS schools. Now if two other bigger BCS schools also run the table - Florida and Texas, for example - then they'd be ranked higher than UC.

But UC won't get treated like Utah, Hawaii or Boise State if they finish 12-0.

bucksfan2
09-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but if UC runs the table, they'll be treated just as any other BCS school who runs the table, and they would subsequently be ranked higher than all 1-loss BCS schools. Now if two other bigger BCS schools also run the table - Florida and Texas, for example - then they'd be ranked higher than UC.

But UC won't get treated like Utah, Hawaii or Boise State if they finish 12-0.

I disagree with that. If UC runs the table, it would be very unlikely that they would get the National Championship game. The Big East right now is not thought of very highly. They have no teams ranked other than UC. UC will have not beaten any team of substance in the mix. In reality as a program, UC doesn't have that one marquee win. I think that right now UC is behind all the other conferences in the pecking order as well as BYU.

As for Maimi UC has not business going up to Oxford to play them. Nothing good can come out of that. Miami is an awful program right now, but view UC as their rival, and it will be their most important game of the year.

*BaseClogger*
09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
As for Maimi UC has not business going up to Oxford to play them. Nothing good can come out of that. Miami is an awful program right now, but view UC as their rival, and it will be their most important game of the year.

Miami won't come close to beating UC. They have been outscored 90-0 so far this year. 90-0!

Hoosier Red
09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I disagree with that. If UC runs the table, it would be very unlikely that they would get the National Championship game. The Big East right now is not thought of very highly. They have no teams ranked other than UC. UC will have not beaten any team of substance in the mix. In reality as a program, UC doesn't have that one marquee win. I think that right now UC is behind all the other conferences in the pecking order as well as BYU.

Is the Big East less thought of than the ACC when BC got to be ranked #2 just for being one of the last undefeated teams a few years ago?

Cyclone792
09-14-2009, 05:43 PM

The BCS would not let a situation that you've presented happen. If there are two or fewer undefeated BCS teams, and one of them is UC, then UC would be in the national championship game. The voters would ensure that it would happen, same as they ensured that Oklahoma would move up to #2 and face Florida last season.

Not only that, but I can guarantee you that the computers would love an undefeated UC team. Four of their seven Big East games are on the road this season, and they'd also have two non-conference BCS wins (with one of those on the road) plus an additional win against a solid WAC team in Fresno State.

Boston Red
09-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Not necessarily. If UC and BYU go undefeated, UC can't possibly catch the Cougars. If Florida, BYU and UC are the only three undefeated teams at the end of the season, Florida would play BYU for the national title.

bucksfan2
09-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Is the Big East less thought of than the ACC when BC got to be ranked #2 just for being one of the last undefeated teams a few years ago?

ACC is down, or bad, but they also have Miami, FSU, and VT. If either FSU or Miami run the table it likely means beating UF on the way. VT is also considered a big time college football program, and have scheduled a very tough non conference game every year.

Right now in the coaches poll UC is ranked 21st. Behind one loss team of Oklahoma, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma St, and Georiga. All 5 of those teams would be ranked higher than UC if the both ran the table from her on in. You also have SEC teams like Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and LSU who if they had one loss would still be ranked above UC.

UC just doesn't have that marquee win on the big stage yet. They don't have a chance at that this year. They just won't play a team that is ranked high enough to boost their rankings. UC's problems this season are the initial assumptions that the Big East is going to be down and their preseason rank outside the top 25. Right or wrong, I don't see an undefeated UC team leap frogging a big time one loss team.

Cyclone792
09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Not necessarily. If UC and BYU go undefeated, UC can't possibly catch the Cougars. If Florida, BYU and UC are the only three undefeated teams at the end of the season, Florida would play BYU for the national title.

UC would catch BYU in the computers, and with UC's end of season schedule (West Virginia, Illinois and Pittsburgh), they'd steal enough votes in the human polls. If UC beats both Oregon State and Fresno State in the next two weeks, they'll be higher in the polls than most everyone currently believes.

Nevertheless, this discussion is putting the cart way ahead of the horse. UC's got one thing and one thing only to concentrate on right now, and that's going to Corvallis and playing well.

Boston Red
09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
UC would catch BYU in the computers, and with UC's end of season schedule (West Virginia, Illinois and Pittsburgh), they'd steal enough votes in the human polls.

Not even close. BYU would beat Oklahoma, Florida State, #15 TCU, and #18 Utah. UC doesn't have a single ranked opponent (preseason or current) on the entire schedule.

Cyclone792
09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Not even close. BYU would beat Oklahoma, Florida State, #15 TCU, and #18 Utah. UC doesn't have a single ranked opponent (preseason or current) on the entire schedule.

None of those games are on the road, and remember, the computers love road games just like run scoring loves on-base percentage. BYU also has too many cupcakes on the schedule, and unfortunately for teams in the MWC, there are too many bottom-feeders that still hurt the SOS throughout the conference.

But again, like I said, I don't even know why this is an issue right now - we're heading into week 3.

Caveat Emperor
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM

That could change quickly if WVU and Pitt rattle off some victories -- I don't expect the Big East to field just 1 ranked team the entire year. But, having said that, I don't see the voters allowing Cincinnati to leapfrog an undefeated BYU team with victories over Oklahoma, Utah, Florida State, and TCU.

That's really the least of UC's worries, though. UC needs to take care of business in Corvallis, and worry about winning the Big East and winning a BCS bowl of any sort (not just a national title).

Boston Red
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
unfortunately for teams in the MWC, there are too many bottom-feeders that still hurt the SOS throughout the conference.

Remember, I'm a Louisville fan when I say this: Louisville may well be worse than any MWC team this year. Syracuse won't be far behind. That's two of seven right there.

Cyclone792
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Remember, I'm a Louisville fan when I say this: Louisville may well be worse than any MWC team this year. Syracuse won't be far behind. That's two of seven right there.

I don't really expect Louisville to be much worse in the computer rankings this season than they were last season when they went 5-7 (1-6). The computers all like the Big East better than the common college football fan, and barring a Big East collapse over the next two weeks, I expect that to remain the same this season.

BearcatShane
09-15-2009, 01:28 AM
UC can get a title shot in my opinion if they go undefeated AND destroy most of the teams like they're doing. They need to win and win big though. But the Sugar Bowl on New Years day would work for me.

Redlegs212
09-15-2009, 09:47 AM

Not gonna lie I think Syracuse will finish above Louisville

Boston Red
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Not gonna lie I think Syracuse will finish above Louisville

Yeah, I meant that Syracuse will not be far behind in terribleness (if that is a word). I think Louisville is probably the worst team in the Big East.

SeeinRed
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't even want waste my time thinking about the end of the season in Week 3. Things change so much by then that it just isn't worth the worry. The fact of the matter is the chances of UC and BYU being undefeated are slim. It will probably play itself out over time. Kinda cool that this is even being discussed though!

SunDeck
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Mardy Gilyard A Finalist For AT&T All-America Player of the Week Award (http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091309aac.html)

You can text your vote for him.

GoReds33
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Brian Kelly did an interview with Rivals recently where he seems very concerned about the new practice facilities getting done. You can tell he is campaigning for some donations as well as he possibly can.

Caveat Emperor
09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
One-on-one with Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly

Tom Dienhart
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

Q: Is it tougher to get non-conference games now than it was three years ago when you arrived?

A:"It sure is. It is a lot more difficult putting our schedule together. We need to find games, and it is really hard to find them now. We played a I-AA team [Southeast Missouri State] last week and scored 70 points. That isn't good for anyone. But we have Oregon State and Illinois [out of conference this season]. We also have Fresno State coming in. I think our schedule now stands up to being a challenging schedule."

Q: What does Cincinnati have to do to get more respect?

A: "Well, we have been ranked in the top 25 the last two years. But the program isn't far enough developed to be a top-10 team every year, but I like where we are going. We have to consistently be a team that is in the top 25. As we do that, we are able to build more facilities. For us to continue to grow and raise money is by winning. As long as I don't focus on the national picture but instead on being a top-25 team and winning championships, I will be able to continue to build this program."

Q: What's the key to the program taking that next step?

A: "Facilities. It's the absolute most critical element that this university has to continue to take a hard look at. We aren't where we need to be. But we put an exciting product on the field. We have won a lot of football games [24-6, with two bowls and one Big East title since the start of the 2007 season]. Now, it's up to the university to step up and get these things done."

Q: Is it true that you really have no practice fields?

A: "Yes, we have no practice fields. We practice at the stadium. There is no ability to go out and practice a spread, no-huddle offense. We don't get 120 yards to do that. We have to do it on 50 yards because the defense is on the other half of the field. It is hard to do, and I give our kids a lot of credit for being able to overcome it and continue to win. And, of course, we have no indoor facility. In fact, to prepare for the Orange Bowl [last season], we had to practice in an indoor soccer facility. It obviously wasn't a very good way to prepare our football team."

Q: Where do you think your facilities rank in the Big East?

A: "Negative. You can't even compare it to any of the teams in our league. There are no luxury boxes, so there is no revenue stream there, either. We have the smallest stadium [35,098 capacity]. From an infrastructure standpoint, the university has to decide if it wants to get it done or not."

Q: What is your contract status?

A: "I have four years remaining after this year. It is like any other contract in that there are a lot of provisions in there. One of them is that they have to get some things done here from a facilities standpoint or there is no buyout or a minimal buyout in my contract. I think all the things are in place from a contractual standpoint. I just want the university to keep moving forward on developing the program."

Q: When does the university have to have facilities done so your buyout isn't lowered?

A: "They have to have them in place for this fall."

Q: So, the university missed the deadline?

A: "Pretty much. Look, I just wanted them to know that it is important for me that if they want to continue to move the program forward, [things must be done on facilities]. ... [Athletic director] Mike Thomas has been awesome. He is with me on this 100 percent. But we have gone through a new president, and there was an interim president; you know how that goes. But I am an impatient guy. That is my problem. We can't wait. Our new president will have these things on his table, and I'll keep doing my job and we'll see what comes up at the end of the year."

Tom Dienhart is a national senior writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at dienhart@yahoo-inc.com.

Sounds from the tone of the interview that Kelly is getting frustrated with a lack of progress on the University's part. Not a good long-term sign for his continued employment at UC.

Cyclone792
09-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds from the tone of the interview that Kelly is getting frustrated with a lack of progress on the University's part. Not a good long-term sign for his continued employment at UC.

I think it was a well-timed get it out there type message, and the reason I say that is because there's some behind-the-scenes activity going on with facilities that's about to become public (hopefully in a good, meaningful way).

The latest I've heard is that UCATS is planning on releasing some key information on the practice facilities sometime in October (some online Bearcat forums have initiated some small grassroots fundraising efforts for the Jefferson Avenue Sports Complex).

Also, UC sent out a survey this morning to UCATS members, season ticket holders and others who have purchased tickets (I got it myself) regarding the expansion/renovation of Nippert, luxury suites, club boxes, etc.

There's definitely stuff cooking in the background; now the question is precisely what's cooking and how good is it going to taste.

Cyclone792
09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll add this ... from a PR standpoint, this Saturday night's game at Oregon State is starting to turn into kind of a big deal. The Cats have been getting quite a bit of media coverage the past few days, and this is coinciding with some of the background stuff occurring with the Nippert renovation plans, practice facilities, etc. Ticket sales have also seem to be doing very well with some future home games now near sell outs.

UC has gotten immense early momentum this season from a PR standpoint, and that's different than last season when they lost early at Oklahoma and then suffered an early Big East loss at Connecticut. The South Florida game the night before Halloween was fun, but it wasn't really until the South Florida victory followed by the huge road win in West Virginia in early November that the local fan base really rallied behind UC last season, and by that point we were into November.

This season, though, the local fan base got ramped up immediately after the Rutgers win. If UC plays well in Corvallis and brings home a victory - especially an impressive victory - the building excitement surrounding this team will become absolutely insane.

SeeinRed
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I'll add this ... from a PR standpoint, this Saturday night's game at Oregon State is starting to turn into kind of a big deal. The Cats have been getting quite a bit of media coverage the past few days, and this is coinciding with some of the background stuff occurring with the Nippert renovation plans, practice facilities, etc. Ticket sales have also seem to be doing very well with some future home games now near sell outs.

UC has gotten immense early momentum this season from a PR standpoint, and that's different than last season when they lost early at Oklahoma and then suffered an early Big East loss at Connecticut. The South Florida game the night before Halloween was fun, but it wasn't really until the South Florida victory followed by the huge road win in West Virginia in early November that the local fan base really rallied behind UC last season, and by that point we were into November.

This season, though, the local fan base got ramped up immediately after the Rutgers win. If UC plays well in Corvallis and brings home a victory - especially an impressive victory - the building excitement surrounding this team will become absolutely insane.

Its been really cool to watch. Its been the perfect storm for UC. Almost the exact opposite of what we have become used to watching from the pro franchises around here. I think a lot of people just assumed there wasn't room for UC football around here, especially with the strong OSU following. Boy were they wrong. For us UC fans who have always loved UC in every sport, it is a sweet thing to be a part of. If you aren't on the bandwagon yet, there is plenty room and we all want you to climb aboard. :beerme:

Eric_the_Red
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
If UC wins Saturday and the Bengals lose, expect the water cooler talk around the city to change. I think if that happens, UC sells out the year, and the Bengals are blacked out for every game other than Pittsburgh.

Redlegs23
09-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Totally agree. Saturday's game is huge for this program. I'm already starting to get nervous.

NorrisHopper30
09-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Rodgers might be out.

paintmered
09-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Rodgers might be out.

My first reaction to this was, "Jake Rodgers got hurt?!? The kicker??" and headed straight to the UC boards to investigate. Hearing this news about Jacquizz Rodgers (OSU starting RB) and not Jake Rodgers makes me feel quite a bit better.

Edit: And then I saw Curtis Young is out 3-6 weeks. That's not good at all for this defense.

SeeinRed
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM
My first reaction to this was, "Jake Rodgers got hurt?!? The kicker??" and headed straight to the UC boards to investigate. Hearing this news about Jacquizz Rodgers (OSU starting RB) and not Jake Rodgers makes me feel quite a bit better.

Edit: And then I saw Curtis Young is out 3-6 weeks. That's not good at all for this defense.

Next man in!:beerme:

We'll see how that motto works out tonight! I'm stoked if you can't tell by my use of exclamation points! Anybody have some plans for tonight? Where are some good places to watch the game with UC fans?

GIDP
09-19-2009, 11:07 AM
excited for todays game :D

paintmered
09-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Next man in!:beerme:

We'll see how that motto works out tonight! I'm stoked if you can't tell by my use of exclamation points! Anybody have some plans for tonight? Where are some good places to watch the game with UC fans?

Try Dave & Busters in Tri-County (official watch party), Holy Grail near campus, and the Clifton B-Dubs to name a few.

HeatherC1212
09-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Just from the first few moments, I think this UC game is going to be insane. :eek:

redsfandan
09-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I know it's still early but it's nice to see UC come back to take the lead.

Chip R
09-19-2009, 09:30 PM
21-8 UC now end of 1st half.

redsfandan
09-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Just got back in and noticed the score. Hope it sticks.

Boston Red
09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
UC is playing a very bad second half so far. Shooting themselves in the foot nonstop.

As I'm typing, they get a break as Oregon State gives them a gift with a roughing the passer on third down.

Chip R
09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
21-18 now as OSU gets a FG

Boston Red
09-19-2009, 10:39 PM
UC loses unless they get another TD. A long scoring drive right now would be nice. Or a really short one. Anything that ends up in six points would be appreciated.

Boston Red
09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Ask and ye shall receive!

Chip R
09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
28-18 now!

Chip R
09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Interception, UC!

HeatherC1212
09-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Go UC!!!! I've been too nervous to watch but I have checked in from time to time and it seems like UC is hanging in there pretty well. Keep it up guys! :)

redsfandan
09-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I was actually afraid to post but now UC is 1:28 away from a win. Even with the missed field goal OSU would have to score twice (including at least 1 td) and I'm not sure if they have any timeouts left.

HeatherC1212
09-19-2009, 11:14 PM
UC WINS!!!!!!!! :jump:

Chip R
09-19-2009, 11:15 PM
It's over!

redsfandan
09-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Yessss!!!!! :)

paintmered
09-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Heck of a win! They didn't look great, but that was a tough task to play in Corvallis. Another happy week in Bearcat land.

NorrisHopper30
09-20-2009, 01:23 AM
3-0 and probably top 15.

westofyou
09-20-2009, 01:28 AM
OSU, the Purdue of the West.

LoganBuck
09-20-2009, 08:17 AM
OSU, the Purdue of the West.

That might be a little harsh, I was thinking Iowa. Capable of winning a big upset, and still capable of losing to anyone.

Good win UC, going across the country is tough. The rest of that schedule is looking pretty squishy.

GoReds33
09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
These games are going to start selling out pretty quick.

westofyou
09-20-2009, 11:55 AM
That might be a little harsh, I was thinking Iowa. Capable of winning a big upset, and still capable of losing to anyone.

Good win UC, going across the country is tough. The rest of that schedule is looking pretty squishy.
Well they are both technical based schools, both have a very slim bowl resume. Perhaps talent wise Purdue is in a down swing, but OSU is and always has been (albeit a few times) a Pac Ten also ran.

Perhaps I'm colored by all the OSU folks I work with, they tend to get pretty wrapped up in what I see as a small time program. But then again I've lived in Ann Arbor, Berkeley and Palo Alto, so maybe I'm the one who is not seeing the forest for the trees?

Boston Red
09-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Historical lesson on Oregon State notwithstanding, road wins over top 25 teams are always nice. Especially when you go three time zones away to get them.

NorrisHopper30
09-20-2009, 02:47 PM
#13 OSU
#14 UC

*BaseClogger*
09-21-2009, 03:20 AM
#13 OSU
#14 UC

tOSU fans can thank the preseason polls...

BearcatShane
09-22-2009, 03:00 AM
It's probably too early for bowl projections but here is one from College Football News/Scout. If that happened I'd be ok with it as a Bearcat fan. It would be a good step as we try to move forward as a program.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/901289.html

schmidty622
09-22-2009, 09:00 AM
It's probably too early for bowl projections but here is one from College Football News/Scout. If that happened I'd be ok with it as a Bearcat fan. It would be a good step as we try to move forward as a program.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/901289.html

UC would get absolutely hammered up and down the field. But the cash they got for just going would probably help them along with building those facilities.

NorrisHopper30
09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
UC would get absolutely hammered up and down the field. But the cash they got for just going would probably help them along with building those facilities.

I don't know about hammered but I don't think we'd win. Florida seems to actually have a little weakness this year (the passing game).

SeeinRed
09-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Just getting into the championship game would help build the program, forget about the money right now.

(not singling you out Schmidty, this is and entirely different thought all together)Its funny, because all I hear from people who knock the Bearcats say that they haven't played anyone or they play in a really weak conference. They are still a very good team. Even if they lose a game or two this year I won't be upset with how they did because they aren't done building the program. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, so I don't even want to talk about the possibility of a National Championship game until week 10 or so. If they are still undefeated by then, we'll talk. I just hope the team has the same perspective.

Sit back, enjoy the ride and we'll see where this goes.:beerme:

Caveat Emperor
09-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Plus, all the kids could ask Tim Tebow for his autograph before the game. ;)

Seriously though -- the fact that this notion even gets put to paper is a testament to the incredible job Brian Kelly (and Mark Dantonio before him) have done bringing this program back from the dead.

paintmered
09-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Show this team some love. Get to The Nip this weekend. The lawn mower can wait four hours. Need to spend time with the family? Bring them along. There are no excuses left if you are a UC fan and have a means to get to Clifton this weekend.

Tickets can be had online for $20. Enter SOCIAL as a coupon code.

Caveat Emperor
09-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Show this team some love. Get to The Nip this weekend. The lawn mower can wait four hours. Need to spend time with the family? Bring them along. There are no excuses left if you are a UC fan and have a means to get to Clifton this weekend.

Tickets can be had online for $20. Enter SOCIAL as a coupon code.

I'll be there.

It's a white-out game, so if you do go, be sure to wear a white colored shirt!

GIDP
09-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Im goign to wear a lab coat

Cyclone792
09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I missed the UC game due to being out of town this weekend. We tried a few bars up in the Milwaukee area hoping to see the game, but even with their packages they were unable to pull the channel feed. We even offered to pay the bar the cost for purchasing the channel for a month so they could show the game, but they weren't willing to do that.

Nevertheless, another big game awaits this Saturday against Fresno State, and I'll be there in white showing Bearcat pride.

I'm not wanting to put the cart before the horse since it's way too early and the Cats need to take one game at a time, but Doc has an interesting column on this morning with a key point: it's awesome that we can consider this even a remote possibility even if it's still far too early and unlikely.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090922/COL03/309220053/1007/SPT/Doc++BCS+talk+for+UC+legit+

“Cincinnati will end up playing Florida for the national championship in football.’’

-- Pete Fiutak, College Football News

It’s hard to type while falling out of a chair, so I’m sending this one via smoke signal. It’ll be my last one for awhile. I’m heading for the cave in Idaho, because having read that, I suspect the world will be ending very soon and I want a safe place to ride things out.

If UC is in the national title picture, it’s in the fourth row, behind the really tall kid. Meantime, someone fit Fiutak for the Lecter suit.

Some kidding aside, it really doesn’t matter that it’d be easier for a rock to talk than for the ’09 Bearcats to make Fiutak look prophetic. What matters is that the thought even occurred.

Five years ago, UC football wasn’t household unless the household belonged to the head coach. Now, a guy who writes a national college football column suggests the Bearcats should enter the title conversation.

As UC linebacker J.K. Schaffer put it, “To be in this situation is beyond anything I’d thought would happen.’’

Schaffer graduated from La Salle and spent many Saturdays at Nippert Stadium as a fan. Season tickets? “No,’’ he said. “You didn’t really have to have season tickets.’’

On Tuesday at noon, students lined up 10-deep at a Lindner Center ticket window, spending $10 apiece for standing-room seats to Saturday’s game against arch-rival Fresno State.

Fiutak suggests UC’s schedule will keep the ‘Cats at the title table. Other than a roadie at Pitt, they get West Virginia and UConn at home. They play at South Florida, but the Bulls’ prolific QB Matt Grothe is done with a knee injury. Further, title hopefuls such as USC and Ohio State already have lost.

“Penn State doesn’t appear to be good enough on the offensive line and in the running game to (beat) Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State,’’ writes Fiutak. “Oklahoma could certainly beat Texas. The Longhorns also have to play at Missouri, at Oklahoma State and at Texas A&M. California will brain-cramp, the stars of the ACC will start picking each other off soon, and the SEC won’t get two teams into the BCS Championship.

“It’s time to think long view,’’ Fiutak concludes.

Hey, I’m breaking out the personal Hubble telescope. Might as well roll with it. As UC running back Isaiah Pead put it, “We’re living the high life now. Growing up, you see Florida and Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State. All the top ranked people. Now, we’re one of them.’’

It’s all part of the genius king’s plan. King Brian Kelly took his team on the road Saturday, to stop a good Pac-10 team that had won 26 non-conference home games in a row and had beaten then-No. 1 USC last season. The Bearcats won by 10.

“I said from day one we came here to compete for a national championship,’’ King Kelly said Tuesday. “You can now say that with a straight face. We can put a product together here that has national relevance.’’

Not even Kelly would bite on the suggestion that UC is in the title photo. “We’re not ready for that, we’re not there yet. It’s nice people would talk about it. I’m hopeful that before you retire that we get to that level,’’ Kelly said.

It would be helpful if the Bearcats did the expected Saturday against Fresno. The Bulldogs are dangerous, but they’re not Oregon State. They throw the ball deep and often. Teams that rely on the longball usually strike out against good competition.

Meantime, enjoy the ride. “You get a mentality that you’re not going to lose,’’ Isaiah Pead said.

Well, what if they don’t lose? What if the Bearcats are 12-0 on Dec. 6? It’s not impossible. It’s not even crazy. What then?

We’ll buy Pete Fiutak a three-way and an even bigger crystal ball. And then we’ll head for the hills. World with end, amen.

“It’s just wild how far this program has come,’’ Schaffer said.

Isn’t it, though?

GIDP
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
It wasnt long ago that USF was in a similar situation. If UC wins out ill admit ill watch some more college football shows.

Redlegs23
09-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll be there and I'm bringing someone who lives in Cincy but is a OSU bandwagon type fan, not a die hard OSU fan. Hopefully he realizes that there is a local team worth investing in.

Cyclone792
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
So long as UC is undefeated, we might as well have some fun here ... hey, that's what college football is for, right?

This weekend's checklist of teams to root for (including a massive UC victory over Fresno State, obviously ...)

Undefeated high ranked teams
South Carolina over #4 Ole Miss
Mississippi State over #7 LSU
UTEP over #2 Texas
Arkansas over #3 Alabama
Oregon over #6 California
#11 Virginia Tech over #9 Miami (FL)
Clemson over #15 TCU (it's arguable whether TCU has any shot at a title game)
Kentucky over #1 Florida
Bowling Green over #8 Boise State (not that I think this matters - an undefeated Boise State team won't go to Pasadena)
Iowa over #5 Penn State

Big East teams (West Virginia has a bye)
South Florida over Florida State
Connecticut over Rhode Island
Pitt over N.C. State
Rutgers over Maryland
Syracuse over Maine
Louisville over Utah

Future/Past non-conf UC Opponents (boost the SOS, fellas)
Illinois over #13 Ohio State
Miami (OH) over Kent State
Oregon State over Arizona

Miscellanous (i.e. teams that need to keep their head coaches)
Boston College over Wake Forest
Notre Dame over Purdue

cincrazy
09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I love to see UC succeed like this. As a diehard OSU fan, I follow UC, and I root for them to do well. That being said, I disagree with some that feel UC could beat OSU. I think OSU would win, because the D is THAT good. But if UC were to win, would I be blown away? No.

I hope for the university's sake that Brian Kelly doesn't leave any time soon. But I can't help but think that if Notre Dame fires Weis and comes calling, or Paterno steps down from Penn State, or if any other big name positions come open, he's going to want to jump and take the chance.

reds1869
09-23-2009, 01:19 PM
As I've mentioned before, I'm an alum of Marshall and Xavier and a diehard fan of both. But I find myself unable to resist this UC team. I have actually caught myself cheering for the Bearcats! My goodness, did someone poison me?

SeeinRed
09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I love to see UC succeed like this. As a diehard OSU fan, I follow UC, and I root for them to do well. That being said, I disagree with some that feel UC could beat OSU. I think OSU would win, because the D is THAT good. But if UC were to win, would I be blown away? No.

I hope for the university's sake that Brian Kelly doesn't leave any time soon. But I can't help but think that if Notre Dame fires Weis and comes calling, or Paterno steps down from Penn State, or if any other big name positions come open, he's going to want to jump and take the chance.

On the other hand, UC's offense is good enough to put up points on OSU's D. I don't think OSU fans give UC enough credit. UC would definately be able to beat OSU if they were to play at Nippert or at a neutral site. At OSU, it would be tough but UC has the talent to pull it off. I would definately say that UC is as talented as OSU right now.

*BaseClogger*
09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I would definately say that UC is as talented as OSU right now.

Crazy talk...

Redlegs23
09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
As I've mentioned before, I'm an alum of Marshall and Xavier and a diehard fan of both. But I find myself unable to resist this UC team. I have actually caught myself cheering for the Bearcats! My goodness, did someone poison me?

You're allowed to cheer for UC. It's fun to watch, there's no denying that. You should come down to Nippert and experience the game day if you haven't done so yet. Go Cats!

cincrazy
09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
On the other hand, UC's offense is good enough to put up points on OSU's D. I don't think OSU fans give UC enough credit. UC would definately be able to beat OSU if they were to play at Nippert or at a neutral site. At OSU, it would be tough but UC has the talent to pull it off. I would definately say that UC is as talented as OSU right now.

Well, like I said, I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if UC won. I'm not saying they couldn't do it. But I still think OSU is the better, and more talented team. UC has several very good premier players, but they're not as deep as a team like Ohio State.

Then again, they do a better job of getting the most out of the talent that they do have there, so it'd be an interesting game, hopefully one we get in BCS bowl season :).

Cyclone792
09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Started reading Josh Katzowitz's book Bearcats Rising (http://www.amazon.com/Bearcats-Rising-Division-Gridiron-Bludgeons/dp/193319765X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253754241&sr=8-1) last night, and I'm already on page 247. If you're a UC football fan, I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of this book. It contains several stories from UC's past and also goes into quite a bit of detail on how the football program has developed in the last 10-15 years.

Caveat Emperor
09-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Saturday's game -- too much talk swirling around about "If they go undefeated..." and "Schedule sets up well..."

Ugh. I have a terrible feeling that Fresno is going to come into town and trash the party. They're a very good offensive team with a very good running attack. There could be some serious trouble if UC's offense sputters early or they get down by a couple scores.

Hopefully I'm just being superstitious.

Boston Red
09-24-2009, 12:00 AM
UC's offense should carve these guys up, so that should make you feel better.

Matt700wlw
09-24-2009, 04:40 AM
The Cats may have something special going on here...let's enjoy the ride!

Cyclone792
09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Saturday's game -- too much talk swirling around about "If they go undefeated..." and "Schedule sets up well..."

Ugh. I have a terrible feeling that Fresno is going to come into town and trash the party. They're a very good offensive team with a very good running attack. There could be some serious trouble if UC's offense sputters early or they get down by a couple scores.

Hopefully I'm just being superstitious.

I think UC will be fine this Saturday against Fresno, but I totally know what you're saying. I've got the South Florida game circled as the potential trip-up game. That'll be a road conference game on national television, and while there may be a tendency for people to get complacent on that game because Grothe is out, I absolutely think South Florida will come to play. Fortunately UC will at least have the bye week to prepare.

Plus, I believe the Bulls are a better team than most people believe. I expect them to give Florida State a good game, and it wouldn't come as a shock to me if South Florida pulled out the victory.

Roy Tucker
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I think UC has to be careful about too much forward thinking. Big East conference games are always tough.

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

Mon., Sep. 7 at Rutgers Piscataway, N.J. W, 47-15
Sat., Sep. 12 vs. Southeast Missouri State Nippert Stadium W, 70-3
Sat., Sep. 19 at Oregon State Corvallis, Ore. W, 28-18
Sat., Sep. 26 vs. Fresno State (Whiteout Game) Nippert Stadium 12:00 p.m. ET
Sat., Oct. 3 at Miami (OH) Oxford, Ohio 1:00 p.m. ET
Thu., Oct. 15 at USF * Tampa, Fla. 7:30 p.m. ET
Sat., Oct. 24 vs. Louisville (Homecoming) * Nippert Stadium TBA
Sat., Oct. 31 at Syracuse * Syracuse, N.Y. TBA
Sat., Nov. 7 vs. Connecticut (Blackout Game) * Nippert Stadium TBA
Fri., Nov. 13 vs. West Virginia (Ring of Red Game) Nippert Stadium 8:00 p.m. ET
Fri., Nov. 27 vs. Illinois (Senior Day) Nippert Stadium TBA
Sat., Dec. 5 at Pittsburgh * Pittsburgh, Pa. TBA

SeeinRed
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, like I said, I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if UC won. I'm not saying they couldn't do it. But I still think OSU is the better, and more talented team. UC has several very good premier players, but they're not as deep as a team like Ohio State.

Then again, they do a better job of getting the most out of the talent that they do have there, so it'd be an interesting game, hopefully one we get in BCS bowl season :).

I don't know that UC is any less deep than OSU. Everyone they have put on the field produces. Thats where the whole next man in mentality comes from. They replaced 10 defensive starters without any dropoff so far. Its a very hard argument to not consider the two teams equal or very close to equal right now. C. Trent sums it up well:

In these days when Washington beats USC, Central Michigan beats Michigan State, Northern Iowa takes Iowa to the brink and Navy is a two-point conversion from winning at overtime at Ohio Stadium -- why is out of the question for No. 14 Cincinnati to have a chance against No. 13 Ohio State?

Is it because of tradition? Is it that Ohio State plays in a bigger stadium? Is it because the recruiting ratings liked the Ohio State's players better than UC's? Or just because we all know it's Ohio State?

Now, I'm not saying UC is definitely better than OSU. The Buckeyes are a pretty darn good team -- but so are the Bearcats.

The reaction I got yesterday after Isaiah Pead said he thought the Bearcats were the best team in Ohio was that it was preposterous just to suggest a thing, that of course Ohio State would win and there's no chance UC would.

I honestly believe if they played 10 times, neither team would win more than six. I believe the Bearcats have the best quarterback in the state (at playing quarterback, not potential), the best playmaker and the best gameday coach. You take those things and you've got a chance -- no matter what uniform the other squad is wearing.

That's not to say next year, 5 years from now or 10 years from now UC could beat OSU -- this year they can. Would they? Well, unless there's a BCS matchup, we'll never know. There's no question OSU is the better program, but there are plenty of reasons why to think UC could be the better team this year.

reds1869
09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
You're allowed to cheer for UC. It's fun to watch, there's no denying that. You should come down to Nippert and experience the game day if you haven't done so yet. Go Cats!

I went down for the Marshall game. I was disappointed in the result but loved the game day atmosphere. Man, oh, man though...they need to renovate Nippert big time.

Redlegs23
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm worried about this weekend also. We're coming off a big road trip and it may be a little hard to get up for this game. Also, Fresno has come close to knocking off two good teams without closing the deal, so they will be especially hungry. Any team that loses in double OT to Wisconsin and keeps a top 10 Boise State a close game into the 4th quarter is a pretty solid team.

Caveat Emperor
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm worried about this weekend also. We're coming off a big road trip and it may be a little hard to get up for this game. Also, Fresno has come close to knocking off two good teams without closing the deal, so they will be especially hungry. Any team that loses in double OT to Wisconsin and keeps a top 10 Boise State a close game into the 4th quarter is a pretty solid team.

Working solidly in UC's favor, though, is the time-zone factor. Most college teams, due to academic responsibilities and costs associated, don't come into town more than 1 day before a game -- which means Fresno will likely travel on Friday, leaving on PST, to play the next morning in EST.

Historically (especially in recent history), West Coast teams have struggled coming east to play early-afternoon kickoffs. From a preparation standpoint, the game will kick-off at 9AM PST, meaning most of the players will need to be up a lot closer to 5AM PST to be to the stadium and be ready prior to gametime. That kind of schedule disruption can be tough for some teams to deal with.

Redlegs23
09-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Working solidly in UC's favor, though, is the time-zone factor. Most college teams, due to academic responsibilities and costs associated, don't come into town more than 1 day before a game -- which means Fresno will likely travel on Friday, leaving on PST, to play the next morning in EST.

Historically (especially in recent history), West Coast teams have struggled coming east to play early-afternoon kickoffs. From a preparation standpoint, the game will kick-off at 9AM PST, meaning most of the players will need to be up a lot closer to 5AM PST to be to the stadium and be ready prior to gametime. That kind of schedule disruption can be tough for some teams to deal with.

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that. I still have a bad feeling, but that's probably stemming from the fact that there is a lot on the line regarding reputation, donors, excitement, etc.

will5979
09-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I think UC needs to circle WVU on their schedule...the Mountaineers should have beaten Auburn the other night and are dying to win another Big East title and I believe that UC is looking at every team BUT WVU as a potential threat to ruin their season.

Remember, WVU gifted wrapped not only the Auburn game but also the game vs. Cincy last year. If WVU is playing mistake free, Cincy will not have a chance.

Redlegs23
09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I think UC needs to circle WVU on their schedule...the Mountaineers should have beaten Auburn the other night and are dying to win another Big East title and I believe that UC is looking at every team BUT WVU as a potential threat to ruin their season.

Remember, WVU gifted wrapped not only the Auburn game but also the game vs. Cincy last year. If WVU is playing mistake free, Cincy will not have a chance.

I don't think WVU gift wrapped the UC game last year. If anything I feel like it was the opposite. UC dominated the whole game and shut it down and went to the prevent way too early. UC allowed WVU to put it to overtime, and UC won outright in overtime.

SeeinRed
09-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Any Big East game is already circled for the Bearcats. I don't think there is any doubt that the Bearcats are the team to beat but there is going to be a target on their backs. Saying UC doesn't stand a chance if WVU plays mistake free is going a little far. A little homerish, but I can forgive that. I would say WVU has to play mistake free to have a chance to win. WVU is definately capable of winning though.

camisadelgolf
09-25-2009, 02:05 PM

Is anyone else sensing a little bias here? :D

will5979
09-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Is anyone else sensing a little bias here? :D
uh huh

will5979
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Any Big East game is already circled for the Bearcats. I don't think there is any doubt that the Bearcats are the team to beat but there is going to be a target on their backs. Saying UC doesn't stand a chance if WVU plays mistake free is going a little far. A little homerish, but I can forgive that. I would say WVU has to play mistake free to have a chance to win. WVU is definately capable of winning though.

That game will probably be the de facto Big East Championship game considering Cincy will probably be 9-0 and WVU will be 8-1. I just find it amazing that Pat White graduates and suddenly WVU begins being overlooked by everyone.

Caveat Emperor
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
That game will probably be the de facto Big East Championship game considering Cincy will probably be 9-0 and WVU will be 8-1. I just find it amazing that Pat White graduates and suddenly WVU begins being overlooked by everyone.

Pat White graduates last year, Rich Rodriguez left the year before -- I think people are, fairly, skeptical of what WVU will be this season until they proove it by winning a few games.

You might be right in your prediction, but I'll need to see what WVU can do before they get the benefit of the dobut that teams returning players at key positions and with established head coaches can get.

SeeinRed
09-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Look at how UC was percieved before the season. Picked third even though they were champs last year because they lost 10 starting defensive players. The college game is more about who's leaving that who's coming in to most people. I feel for ya on that one.

will5979
09-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Look at how UC was percieved before the season. Picked third even though they were champs last year because they lost 10 starting defensive players. The college game is more about who's leaving that who's coming in to most people. I feel for ya on that one.

That is my point, there were some morons that had Pitt and even Rutgers winning the Big East...mark my words it will come down to Cincy/WVU.

joshnky
09-25-2009, 04:26 PM
That is my point, there were some morons that had Pitt and even Rutgers winning the Big East...mark my words it will come down to Cincy/WVU.

Ummm, Pitt has looked pretty good so far this year. If it wasn't for the fact that they always seem to choke, I wouldn't rank them up there with UC as the team to beat.

And I know you're a WVU fan but I think the pundits may have been right. A Pat White-less WVU is not very scary and the results so far this season have reflected that. 2-1, but they haven't been impressive in the wins against weak competition.

OSUmed2010
09-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know if the UC game will be broadcast in Columbus?

Redlegs23
09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know if the UC game will be broadcast in Columbus?

The game is being broadcast on the Big East Network. I think locally in Cincy it will be shown on CBS. Not sure about Cbus.

HeatherC1212
09-26-2009, 03:04 PM
This game is giving me an ulcer. :eek:

AccordinglyReds
09-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Was at the game for the 1st half, watching it at home for the 2nd....

I think I got there a bit too late (though 20 min before the game) to get a seat in the student section. So after standing for the 1st half, I think sitting and watching in clear view is much more preferable. Not to mention having to walk around when smokers came near me.

Next time, I'll get there sooner. lol

camisadelgolf
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Fresno has surprised me a little, but UC still looks like the better team.

dougdirt
09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
The Bearcats just can't stop this RB from Fresno... at all.

LoganBuck
09-26-2009, 03:55 PM
UC with a big goalline interception, and then a series of Playstation type calls score a touchdown.

Pike and Gilyard are impressive.

Fresno State's defense leaves a lot to be desired. So many busted coverages, and no pressure on the QB. I don't know if there is a defense on the schedule that can do any better, maybe South Florida (Leading Florida State in the fourth quarter).

I don't know if UC will be a team that plays well in cold or wet weather. Their success is based on passing, can they gut out a win in that kind of game? I don't think they can stop the run versus a quality opponent.

HeatherC1212
09-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Bearcats hang on and get the win!! Wow, what a crazy game. The Cats have to do a better job with stopping the run but they didn't play a horrible game overall. Games like this make you a better team and hopefully they learn what they have to work on for future games. Go Cats!! :D

LoganBuck
09-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Fresno State self destructs on their final drive.

UC wins 28-20

dougdirt
09-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Not going to lie, South Florida's new QB looked very good today. Very good runner. He worries me.

NorrisHopper30
09-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Good runner but was very inaccurate 8/21 and 2 ints. We handled Pat White, but it is at USF and they should be top 25 in 3 weeks if they keep winning when we play them. that'll be a big game

joshnky
09-26-2009, 05:31 PM
The Bearcats just can't stop this RB from Fresno... at all.

There are some good running backs in the Big East on better all-around teams than Fresno. Cincy better get their defense figured out or a running team like WVU, Pitt, or even Louisville will knock them off.

That being said, this Cincy team reminds me of the Petrino UofL teams. Prolific offense that scores at will but doesn't give the defense much of a breather. Now that we've lost it, I miss that offensive attack but that defense kept you on edge and required peak offensive performances. Not that there was anything wrong with those teams. They were top ten and title contenders for a couple years in a row.

joshnky
09-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Ummm, Pitt has looked pretty good so far this year. If it wasn't for the fact that they always seem to choke, I wouldn't rank them up there with UC as the team to beat.

I spoke to early. Pitt is in trouble against an NC State team that they should beat.

Cyclone792
09-26-2009, 08:18 PM
It wasn't exactly how I'd draw it up - in fact, it was probably exactly how Fresno State drew it up except for the final score - but UC managed to beat a solid Fresno State team while Fresno State ran their type of game. Either way, a win is a win, the Cats move to 4-0 and it's off to Oxford next week.

The Big East had a solid day as well, though it could have been spectacular if Pitt wouldn't have blown a 31-17 lead only to lose 38-31. That was a very winnable game for Pitt that would have been a nice win for the conference, but the Panthers blew it. They likely would have moved up to the top 25 with a win today too.

Fortunately, though, South Florida came up with the Big East game of the week with an outstanding win at Florida State. South Florida received 1 point in the AP poll and 12 points in the Coaches poll last week. It'd be nice to get a second Big East team in the top 25, and it will be interesting if South Florida can move on up with their big win today.

Connecticut rolled, but that wasn't surprising. Rutgers had trouble early with Maryland, then put them away late. Hopefully Syracuse beats Maine tonight, and it'd be nice if Louisville can pull off a shocker in Utah though I'm not expecting it.

Cyclone792
09-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Good runner but was very inaccurate 8/21 and 2 ints. We handled Pat White, but it is at USF and they should be top 25 in 3 weeks if they keep winning when we play them. that'll be a big game

South Florida plays at Syracuse next week, then has a bye before UC heads into town. It would be very nice to see South Florida in the top 25 when UC rolls in, but much will depend where they come out ranked this week. Beating Syracuse next week would probably move them up only marginally.

Boston Red
09-26-2009, 10:09 PM
USF will definitely be ranked tomorrow.

acredsfan
09-27-2009, 01:36 AM
UC with a big goalline interception, and then a series of Playstation type calls score a touchdown.

Pike and Gilyard are impressive.

Fresno State's defense leaves a lot to be desired. So many busted coverages, and no pressure on the QB. I don't know if there is a defense on the schedule that can do any better, maybe South Florida (Leading Florida State in the fourth quarter).

I don't know if UC will be a team that plays well in cold or wet weather. Their success is based on passing, can they gut out a win in that kind of game? I don't think they can stop the run versus a quality opponent.I'm not exactly thrilled with the way this game went today, but Fresno's offense is very good. I think UC has to work on their run defense, but really this game was close today because Fresno was able to hold onto the ball. I'd be surpised if USF can carry the momentum throughout the rest of the season. Grothe is the only QB that there is really any tape on for other teams to see. Once teams get a good scouting report on the new QB, that will be the real test for USF. I'm not saying they won't be good, but I wouldn't be surpised to see them struggle.

Caveat Emperor
09-27-2009, 03:58 AM
There are some good running backs in the Big East on better all-around teams than Fresno. Cincy better get their defense figured out or a running team like WVU, Pitt, or even Louisville will knock them off.

I was at the game today (great job on the "white out" by the fans -- the Nip' looked great), and I think the issue was less the running backs of Fresno State and more the offensive line.

Now, don't get me wrong -- I was extremely impressed with Ryan Matthews, but there were some absolute monsters on the line for Fresno State. They were stonewalling the UC defensive front on both running plays and passing plays. There was constant surge on running downs, which accounted for a large part of the rushing yards (especially during the stretch of the game where it seemed like Fresno could just gain 6 yards at will on a play). The offensive line play from Fresno State today was flat-out elite.

UC won't see a line like that for the rest of the year. Certainly no one on WVU or Pitt will be pushing 350+ at 6'6" or 6'7" 320+ the way a couple of Fresno State players were. Those guys were maulers up front, and they were the difference makers.

I think UC's run defense will be fine, even against good backs, when they're on a little more equal footing with the opposing fronts.

NorrisHopper30
09-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Agreed, Caveat. The 3-4 seems to be stronger against smaller, more agile backs (Jacquizz Rodgers, Noel Devine) and QBs, rather than huge O-lines with strong power rushers like Matthews.

LoganBuck
09-27-2009, 07:58 AM
I was at the game today (great job on the "white out" by the fans -- the Nip' looked great), and I think the issue was less the running backs of Fresno State and more the offensive line.

Now, don't get me wrong -- I was extremely impressed with Ryan Matthews, but there were some absolute monsters on the line for Fresno State. They were stonewalling the UC defensive front on both running plays and passing plays. There was constant surge on running downs, which accounted for a large part of the rushing yards (especially during the stretch of the game where it seemed like Fresno could just gain 6 yards at will on a play). The offensive line play from Fresno State today was flat-out elite.

UC won't see a line like that for the rest of the year. Certainly no one on WVU or Pitt will be pushing 350+ at 6'6" or 6'7" 320+ the way a couple of Fresno State players were. Those guys were maulers up front, and they were the difference makers.

I think UC's run defense will be fine, even against good backs, when they're on a little more equal footing with the opposing fronts.

I didn't see it like that on TV. It looked more like UC was getting blown off the ball, and couldn't tackle a decent running back. These guys were falling forward all day.

I didn't see anything "elite" out of Fresno all day. Their QB play certainly wasn't. Their line was big, but couldn't move.

Certainly no one on WVU or Pitt will be pushing 350+ at 6'6" or 6'7" 320+ the way a couple of Fresno State players were. Those guys were maulers up front, and they were the difference makers.

If that is the case whatever bowl game they get to will look like last years or worse. Gotta be able to stop the run. They didn't have to respect Fresno State's passing.

will5979
09-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Ummm, Pitt has looked pretty good so far this year.

Screw Pitt I refuse to EVER give those basterds credit, EVER! I utterly hate Pitt with a passion.

Redlegs23
09-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Kelly said after the game that he chose to play the pass by using his safeties in coverage all day. Said that Fresno has big plays every game that he was trying to eliminate. UC was also missing their starting corner, so they were also playing a safety in coverage to help the backup corner (which paid off on the fade pass that Barnett got burnt on and Drew Frey broke up in the endzone). Sounds crazy, but Kelly said he chose to take away the big plays which made it more difficult to take away the run.

As a fan it was frustrating to see them picking up 4-5 yards a carry, but this back was averaging 9 yards a carry coming into the game, and he has done that against Wisconsin and Boise State. Their massive line was opening up holes all game, and the back was quick in getting outside when he needed to.

At the end of the day, as frustrating as it was to watch the defense not be able to get off the field, the d only let up 20 points to a team that dropped 31 on Wisconsin and 34 against Boise. They beat Nobody U 51-0 to start the season also. Fresno is a good team, and with that offensive line and back they have, they are going to win a lot of games from here on out.

Cyclone792
09-27-2009, 12:27 PM
It'll be interesting how far UC moves up in the polls when they come out today. With four top 10 AP teams losing yesterday, UC could possibly move up to 10th in the AP poll, and they could move up to 11th in the Coaches poll.

Also important is the Harris poll, which is released for the first time this year later on today. The Harris poll factors into one-third of the BCS formula (Coaches poll one-third and computer polls one-third) so the Harris poll is important in helping determine the BCS rankings.

Caveat Emperor
09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I didn't see it like that on TV. It looked more like UC was getting blown off the ball, and couldn't tackle a decent running back. These guys were falling forward all day.

I didn't see anything "elite" out of Fresno all day. Their QB play certainly wasn't. Their line was big, but couldn't move.

Football 101 -- they didn't move because big guys like that generally don't. When you've got a size advantage with your front, you maul straight ahead. Trying anything else is negating the size advantage and giving smaller (usually quicker) defensive players an opportunity to beat you to the point of attack (wherever you're moving to). The majority of Matthews runs went right up the gut or off-tackle. The only outside running they did was when they got the change-of-pace back in for some misdirection stuff.

And I agree -- they were getting blown off the ball because their smaller, more finesse d-line wasn't able to handle the size and strength of the Fresno o-line. Now, there were several times where they blew plays up in the backfield by bringing LBs off the edge on run-blitzes, but Coach Kelly (as was noted) was playing two-deep zone the entire game to negate home-run plays both in the run AND the pass -- which pretty much negates your ability to send an extra man into the backfield on run stopping.

It's a gameplan I know far too well from being a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan. During the Monte Kiffin era, the team hated to get out of it's "Tampa 2" shell -- which always meant the two safeties were deep. Plus, the defense relied on quickness on the o-line and guys who could pressure the passer rushing only 4. They ended up with guys like Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp, who were slightly undersized and more concerned with pass rush than run stoppage. As such, Tampa was *always* vulnerable up the gut to power rushers and big offensive lines.

That defense benefited greatly from John Lynch's superior ability to read and react that allowed to him charge the line on running plays and get into the mix around 4-5 yards from the line of scrimmage (stopping a lot of big runs). UC doesn't have a player like that to allow them to effectively stop the run and stick to a 2-deep shell.

Which goes back to my original point -- I'm not worried about UC's run defense long term. Yesterday, by all accounts, seems like a perfect storm of a team that excels at a certain task facing a team that was allowing them to accomplish that task to stop other things from happening.

BearcatShane
09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
UC is ranked 10th in the AP poll and 11th in the Coaches.

SeeinRed
09-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Fresno definately has an offense that can run with anybody. I'm thinking there is a little bit of a negative slant in your analysis. Every team they've played has had problems getting the offense off the field. UC is a very good team this year. I'm sensing maybe a little bit of looking for reasons that UC isn't as good as they're ranked.

paintmered
09-27-2009, 03:42 PM
As dominant as Matthews was, UC held him under his season rushing average despite 38 carries. The rushing defense is a real concern, but let's keep some perspective here.

redhawkfish
09-27-2009, 04:39 PM
I look for UC to beat Miami by at least five TD's next week!

Boston Red
09-27-2009, 05:24 PM
USF will definitely be ranked tomorrow.

Well, I was wrong, and I'm very surprised. Undefeated with a win at FSU and not ranked? That's poor.

dabvu2498
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, I was wrong, and I'm very surprised. Undefeated with a win at FSU and not ranked? That's poor. So is FSU.

will5979
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Well, I was wrong, and I'm very surprised. Undefeated with a win at FSU and not ranked? That's poor.

More reason we don't need these stupid rankings and playoff postseason format.

Boston Red
09-27-2009, 10:18 PM
So is FSU.

Maybe, but BYU is ranked in both polls, and FSU violated them in Provo.

LoganBuck
09-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Fresno definately has an offense that can run with anybody. I'm thinking there is a little bit of a negative slant in your analysis. Every team they've played has had problems getting the offense off the field. UC is a very good team this year. I'm sensing maybe a little bit of looking for reasons that UC isn't as good as they're ranked.

Just perspective. People keep saying all these great things about UC. I don't think the accolades match what I am seeing.

Pike and Gilyard deserve all the respect they get.

I am not sold on the rest of the team.

dabvu2498
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Maybe, but BYU is ranked in both polls, and FSU violated them in Provo.

You could chase that tail all day.

USF beat FSU. Nice win. They also beat 2 I-AA teams and a team in it's first year of I-A.

They haven't proved much.

Roy Tucker
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Semi-ugly win by UC. I thought I was watching a re-run of the Miami-Indianapolis NFL game.

With UC's 3-4 defense, they need a couple run-stuffers at ILB. I didn't see that.

Kelly and Pike get into some animated discussions on the sidelines.