PDA

View Full Version : NFL Season Opener (Yawn)

Dom Heffner
09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
If you love watching inept offenses- both these teams struggle to top 20 points when they play bad defenses- then this game is for you.

My apologies to Steel and all the other traitors on this board, but I'm not sure I can take another year of watching the Steelers defense manhandle people so they can win 13-10.

Pitcher's duels are great- I guess- wouldn't want to watch one every single one of my favorite team's games.

Watching Ben Rothlisberger quarterback is like watching a clock tower dance.

My questions for Steelers fans are this: Can Santonio Holmes- your "Number one" receiver- catch 60 balls this year? Can someone tell me how Willie Parker even has a job? Can Hines Ward still get his gigantic melon into a standard NFL helmet?

Caveat Emperor
09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
There's enough sour grapes in this post to make a truckload of bad wine.

Dom Heffner
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Good to see you got your cliche quota out of the way, CE. And- open mic night is Wednesday.

Listen- terribly jealous of the trophies, just absolutely hate how they get them. Defenses are great to read about, not watch.

Hey, they finally scored a touchdown! That should close this one out LOL....

Chip R
09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Now the Titans answer back with a TD of their own and almost return an interception back all the way for a TD at the end of the half. I love me a good offensive game with a lot of points but there's nothing wrong with this game so far.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Well no longer a yawner I guess. Hines Ward fumbles on the Titans 4 yard line and the Titans recover to preserve the tie and head to overtime.

redhawkfish
09-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Nice call on the score Dom!

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-11-2009, 12:01 AM
The Bengals haven't even played yet and we are already behind the Steelers...never ends..does it???

macro
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Nice call on the score Dom!

That's what I was thinking. Dom, please PM me with tomorrow's winning lottery numbers. Thanks.:thumbup:

bucksfan2
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I think the Steelers are going to have a disappointing season. Especially with Polamalu missing some time. Their run offense is putrid and if any other QB was back there besides Ben he would be killed.

schmidty622
09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, not at all impressed with the Steelers O last night. The defense is still nasty though.

WVRed
09-11-2009, 09:48 AM
The Steelers won but it came at a price. Polamalu will likely now be out for at least the next 3-6 weeks per Mike Tomlin.

This was also the same injury that Rod Woodson had in week one in the Steelers Super Bowl season against the Cowboys. He didn't return until the Super Bowl.

traderumor
09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I only saw the highlights. Amazingly, they made a 5 minute clip out of them ;) All the highlights showed Ben having all day to throw, yet the Steelers couldn't run. Odd combination, curious as to takes on why this happened. Ward fumbling was lovely, sorry I missed that live. I think I saw his eye shade running with tears :cool:

GIDP
09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
The next time I see the Steelers lose a coin flip in over time will be the 1st time.

NJReds
09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
The next time I see the Steelers lose a coin flip in over time will be the 1st time.

I don't understand why they can't change the OT rule so that each team gets one possession before it goes to sudden death.

Chip R
09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't understand why they can't change the OT rule so that each team gets one possession before it goes to sudden death.

Then it's not sudden death, is it?

NJReds
09-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Then it's not sudden death, is it?

It would be after each team had one possession. Assuming that the game wasn't decided at that point.

This way, after the Steelers scored last night to make it 13-10, the Titans would've had a possession that would've resulted in a loss, another tie, or a win. If it was 13-13 after their possession, the game would go to sudden death overtime. At least each team gets a shot.

I don't like the current setup, and I can't stand college OT.

Chip R
09-11-2009, 01:55 PM
It would be after each team had one possession. Assuming that the game wasn't decided at that point.

This way, after the Steelers scored last night to make it 13-10, the Titans would've had a possession that would've resulted in a loss, another tie, or a win. If it was 13-13 after their possession, the game would go to sudden death overtime. At least each team gets a shot.

I don't like the current setup, and I can't stand college OT.

But if each team originally has a shot, it's not sudden death. It's lingering death. The Competition Committee has decided they like the status quo. Personally, I think they like it because of the name: Sudden Death.

A game like this is the exception, not the rule. I don't think there's anything wrong with Sudden Death. If you want to make it more fair, have them play 10 more minutes. If no one scores, call it a tie. But it's still not Sudden Death.

acredsfan
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I guess I don't mind the sudden death scenario too much, but I think it would be enhanced by not allowing a FG to win it. If the team that wins the toss scores a TD on their first drive then they deserve to win. A FG on 1st down to win the game that went into overtime just seems a little weak to me.

Caveat Emperor
09-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess I don't mind the sudden death scenario too much, but I think it would be enhanced by not allowing a FG to win it. If the team that wins the toss scores a TD on their first drive then they deserve to win. A FG on 1st down to win the game that went into overtime just seems a little weak to me.

In general, FGs are too easy in the NFL. Virtually every kick inside 30 yards is a gimmee (looking at 2008, a grand total of 5 kicks inside 30 years were missed for the entire season), and no kicker missed more than 3 attempts in the 30-39 yard range last year either.

The competition committee needs to look at moving the goalposts closer together, moving the goals themselves further back, or changing the rules on how FGs are kicked to try and balance things out. It shouldn't be an automatic three points once an offense crosses the 30 yard line.

In general, I dislike how important kicking has become in the NFL. It's a specialized skill completely removed from just about every other aspect of professional football. Settling games by FGs is the functional equivalent of ending an extra-inning baseball game by having the two catchers get into a "pitch in the dirt" blocking contest.

Ideally, I'd like to see FGs become significantly more difficult (no kicker should sport a FG% north of 70%) and I'd like to see the PAT eliminated entirely.

traderumor
09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
After 3-3-1/2 hours, and the game is still not settled, Sudden Death is fine by me. Get it over and move on. The resistance to tie games as if it is immoral is befuddling.

redsfan1966
09-11-2009, 11:29 PM
wow, after all the horrific baseball we have watched this year, you would think people would be a little more appreciative of the nfl opener last nite....I thought it was a great "smash mouth" football game...

Chip R
09-12-2009, 12:14 AM
wow, after all the horrific baseball we have watched this year, you would think people would be a little more appreciative of the nfl opener last nite....I thought it was a great "smash mouth" football game...

It was.

TeamSelig
09-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Great game IMO. No yawning for me.

Dom Heffner
09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Well, the good thing is, those who enjoyed it will get to do so all year.

Lots of these type of games coming your way in Steel town.

KoryMac5
09-12-2009, 03:46 PM

I liked the game just hated the coverage of it by the announcing team. Lots of Steeler love from Collinsworth and Michaels.

deltachi8
09-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, the good thing is, those who enjoyed it will get to do so all year.

Lots of these type of games coming your way in Steel town.

I'll take 18 more just like it.