PDA

View Full Version : Worst call I've ever seen

Captain Hook
09-14-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't know if this really deserves its own thread but I had to post something about it here.

I'm sitting here watching the Raiders and Chargers and the officials just over turned the call on the field of a TD for the Raiders.I can't imagine what they saw in the booth that cause the reversal.The ball was clearly caught.I love replay but if this call should really get some people in the NFL questioning how the plays are being reviewed.

I'm glad I could care less about this game because if this had happened to my team I'd be irate.

Slyder
09-14-2009, 11:57 PM
It was the same freaking play that NE won the first game on. Same freaking play. Guess this just shows NFL where you can have 2 sets of rules. Ones for teams like NE and then the set for everyone else.

2 feet
Knee
Hip
Arm

THEN the ball.

Caveat Emperor
09-14-2009, 11:59 PM
It looked to me like Murphy didn't have the ball when he came up -- it rolled between his legs as he was completing his tumbling act. Different situation than in NE, where the receiver maintained possession the entire way through even though part of the ball made contact with the ground (the infamous "Bert Emanuel Rule").

Bottom line is -- if you go to the ground making a catch in the endzone, you better stand up and show the ball to the ref. Gotta keep the ball at all stages.

Buckeye33
09-15-2009, 12:06 AM
The ball comes out onto the ground in the Raider game. You can see it when ESPN replay idiots would actually run the replay full length. By rule, you must complete the catch when you catch the ball in the air in the endzone.

Captain Hook
09-15-2009, 12:16 AM
It looked to me like Murphy didn't have the ball when he came up -- it rolled between his legs as he was completing his tumbling act. Different situation than in NE, where the receiver maintained possession the entire way through even though part of the ball made contact with the ground (the infamous "Bert Emanuel Rule").

Bottom line is -- if you go to the ground making a catch in the endzone, you better stand up and show the ball to the ref. Gotta keep the ball at all stages.

Hard to believe that anyone could see this as a drop.I guess your not the only one though since that the official saw it that way as well.I maintain that it was a obvious catch if your going by the rules.

They just showed a replay of it with the officials explanation.The angle that they said the call was based on was very poor and did not show the receiver catching and controlling the ball witch could clearly be seen on other replays from different angles.If that was all they had to go on then I can see why they reversed it.Still a very bad call imo.

Dom Heffner
09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Don't feel bad, Hook. Listening to Steve Young, anybody would have thought that was a catch.

I love his line, "The ball can move around and you can still have control of it..."

Somebody please answer me this: How does Norv Turner have a job?

And good lord, Ladainian Tomlinson is done. Done, done, done.

George Foster
09-15-2009, 12:27 AM
He got 2 feet down and it looked liked the grown caused the fumble.

I guess I don't understand the rule, but I've seen a lot of guys place the ball over the goal line with possession, then get the ball knocked out, and it's still called a touchdown. Not one part of their body was over the goal line, just the ball.

Captain Hook
09-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Here's what I found from the NFL rule book defining a catch.

A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/forwardpass

Slyder
09-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Here's what I found from the NFL rule book defining a catch.

A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/forwardpass

Of course they dont have the thing about 1 knee and the play is dead on there.

RBA
09-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Maybe it was the Slow Mo. But it looked to me like he caught it, wasn't juggling at the time he got 2 feet down. He maintained procession until he hit the ground. TD was called on the field and there was no irrefutable evidence to overturn.

MWM
09-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Nah, the worst call I've ever seen, and will likely ever see, is the roughing the passer call against Justin Smith in the Cincy-Tampa Bay game 3 years ago.

WMR
09-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Oh lord I remember that one.

OT: New office this thursday!!! :D

Captain Hook
09-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Nah, the worst call I've ever seen, and will likely ever see, is the roughing the passer call against Justin Smith in the Cincy-Tampa Bay game 3 years ago.

The thing about that is that there is no replays on those kind of bad calls.When you can slow things down and watch them over and over there is no excuse for getting it wrong.

Slyder
09-15-2009, 02:07 AM
The thing about that is that there is no replays on those kind of bad calls.When you can slow things down and watch them over and over there is no excuse for getting it wrong.

How about the Snow Job? Making the RIGHT call to begin with and then changing it with spotty (at best) video evidence?

RBA
09-15-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm thinking the call by the Raiders to play prevent defense in the last 2 minutes was the worst call of the game.

Captain Hook
09-15-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm thinking the call by the Raiders to play prevent defense in the last 2 minutes was the worst call of the game.

I should have been more specific and said worst call by a ref.If we were to include bad calls made by the Raiders then we'd have a endless debate.Luckily for the Bengals the Raiders manage to be an equally pathetic franchise that probably doesn't even deserve then benefit of good officiating.

I will say that I feel a lot less bad for Raider fans as they seem to be ok with their team being terrible as long as they get to beat someone up after the game.

Slyder
09-15-2009, 03:04 AM
I should have been more specific and said worst call by a ref.If we were to include bad calls made by the Raiders then we'd have a endless debate.Luckily for the Bengals the Raiders manage to be an equally pathetic franchise that probably doesn't even deserve then benefit of good officiating.

I will say that I feel a lot less bad for Raider fans as they seem to be ok with their team being terrible as long as they get to beat someone up after the game.

When youve been as bad as weve been what else is there to do? I mean seriously better in the stadium than outside right Bengals ;). Lions fans have the whole dysfunction at games down to an art form.

Just trying to make it a bit more humorous.

RBA
09-15-2009, 03:13 AM
I don't understand why the rule reads the way it does, but it looks like the refs got it right according to the book.

RBA
09-15-2009, 03:18 AM
3 super bowls that is all.

Easy, that might be considered taunting.

Slyder
09-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Easy, that might be considered taunting.

Changed it, just venting a bit.

Still very underwhelmed by Russell and NEVER liked Haywood-Bey. Heywood-Bey never lived up to the hype at Maryland was a freaking softy, put a jammer against him and he was done. Inconsistant hands, needless to say the Raiders saw the 40 time and fell in love even though there was at least a few better "value" picks that would have filled gaps and left us to position for a WR in Rd 2 that was about equal with the WRs in terms of "value".

And would love to hear the NFL excuse on why almost identical plays get ruled 2 different ways.

blumj
09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Too many rules. It just seems like, the more rules you add, the closer you get to half the rules contradicting the other half.

traderumor
09-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I liked the refs missing a few calls on sidelines and bobbles than games extending to 3-1/2 - 4 hours while every freakin' TD is reviewed, both pros and college.

mole44
09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I thought it was a great call.....Not as a Browns fan, but as a gambler, that won my parlay.

Caveat Emperor
09-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I thought it was a great call.....Not as a Browns fan, but as a gambler, that won my parlay.

As a Bucs fan who actually flew to Tampa to watch this game (1st time inside Raymond James Stadium), I make no apologies for considering it one of the best calls of all time. ;)

Hoosier Red
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I thought there would be blood on the streets of Redszone after that call. I've never seen anyone get yelled at as much as CE for defending that call.

bucksfan2
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
The Justin Smith play was with out a doubt, the worst call I have ever seen in any level of football.

Instant Replay is becoming a farce. Its a shame that some plays are reviewable, and some aren't. Use instant replay to get the plays right. If you don't get the plays right then get rid of instant replay. Nothing is worse than seeing a guy fumble because his face mask is being twisted and turned, yet the official can reverse a fumble call, but can't assess a penality. On the same hand, a poorly called pass interference should be able to be overturned if the contact wasn't there or at the appropriate time.

FWIW the Watson TD call looked like the correct call. Can't tell you anything about the Oakland game. I was sleeping at that point.

Caveat Emperor
09-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I thought there would be blood on the streets of Redszone after that call. I've never seen anyone get yelled at as much as CE for defending that call.

And, if I remember correctly, I openly admitted it was a terrible call (which I still think was rather big of me considering it was my favorite team and a QB from my alma matar getting the benefit).

The point always remains, and it's true in virtually every sport -- if you don't make plays, you put yourself in a situation to let the ref determine the outcome of a game. It's hard to get hosed by the refs on one play if you take care of busines on the other hundred.

Same thing with the Bengals this past week -- if you make plays in the first 59 minutes, some crazy play in the last minute isn't likely to kill you.

traderumor
09-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Woolfork got one called on him last night that was worse than the Justin Smith call, except it wasn't in the last drive of the game (minor detail).

bucksfan2
09-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Woolfork got one called on him last night that was worse than the Justin Smith call, except it wasn't in the last drive of the game (minor detail).

I was going to bring this up, but it wasn't worse than Smith. Smith tackled the QB with the ball. Woolfork was making a hit on the QB just after the ball was was being released. The Woolfork call was awful, but IMO the Smith one was worse.

*BaseClogger*
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Too many rules. It just seems like, the more rules you add, the closer you get to half the rules contradicting the other half.

* Main Entry: Oc·cam's razor
* Variant(s): also Ock·ham's razor \ˈä-kəmz-\
* Function: noun
* Etymology: William of Occam
* Date: circa 1837

: a scientific and philosophic rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities.

Sea Ray
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Same thing with the Bengals this past week -- if you make plays in the first 59 minutes, some crazy play in the last minute isn't likely to kill you.

Very few NFL teams can afford fluke TDs at the end of a game. Such a play would have made losers out of Green Bay, Indy, NE and SD just to name a few. I believe the Ravens were tied with KC with about 2 mins to go. Most NFL games are decided by less than a TD. It's great to say that teams ought to have an 8 pt cushion at the end of every game so fluke plays don't kill you but that's not practical in the NFL. The Bengals were 4 pt favorites. Who's to say that they should have been ahead by 8 pts? Denver played a solid game outside of its putrid offense and even with that they didn't turn the ball over.

Hoosier Red
09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Very few NFL teams can afford fluke TDs at the end of a game. Such a play would have made losers out of Green Bay, Indy, NE and SD just to name a few. I believe the Ravens were tied with KC with about 2 mins to go. Most NFL games are decided by less than a TD. It's great to say that teams ought to have an 8 pt cushion at the end of every game so fluke plays don't kill you but that's not practical in the NFL. The Bengals were 4 pt favorites. Who's to say that they should have been ahead by 8 pts? Denver played a solid game outside of its putrid offense and even with that they didn't turn the ball over.

Exactly, than they got a fluke play to win it. CE's point is the same. Unless you are demonstrably better than your opponent, you leave open the opportunity for luck to play a part. Whether its a small part(15 yard penalty on 3rd down if I recall,) or a big part, the tipped pass goes past Chris Crocker(who I think essentially deserves the blame that went Williams' way.)

In any case you can curse the heavens or the refs all you want, unless there's something seriously shady going on, they're going to try to be impartial and if they make a mistake, you only can hope that it evens out.

If it doesn't you lose and come back the next week.

blumj
09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
But the whole game's intentionally set up in such a way so that a fluke play in the last minute can kill you. That's part of what makes it exciting.

Captain Hook
09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Exactly, than they got a fluke play to win it. CE's point is the same. Unless you are demonstrably better than your opponent, you leave open the opportunity for luck to play a part. Whether its a small part(15 yard penalty on 3rd down if I recall,) or a big part, the tipped pass goes past Chris Crocker.

There's no question that there is some truth to your statement.However, it sure seems like that the teams demonstrably better then their opponent make their own luck at the end of games when they do get locked up in a close one.Teams that are bad seem to find their selves on the other end of that luck more often then not.I don't think that it's a coincidence.

Sea Ray
09-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Exactly, than they got a fluke play to win it. CE's point is the same. Unless you are demonstrably better than your opponent, you leave open the opportunity for luck to play a part. Whether its a small part(15 yard penalty on 3rd down if I recall,) or a big part, the tipped pass goes past Chris Crocker(who I think essentially deserves the blame that went Williams' way.)

In any case you can curse the heavens or the refs all you want, unless there's something seriously shady going on, they're going to try to be impartial and if they make a mistake, you only can hope that it evens out.

If it doesn't you lose and come back the next week.

If you could teach that play it'll be in every NFL playbook. Look at film and defenses converge to the ball everytime when thrown by the QB. In hindsight it'd be best to leave one or two guys back but that bounce would have resulted in a TD against any NFL defense.

Sea Ray
09-15-2009, 09:08 PM
There's no question that there is some truth to your statement.However, it sure seems like that the teams demonstrably better then their opponent make their own luck at the end of games when they do get locked up in a close one.Teams that are bad seem to find their selves on the other end of that luck more often then not.I don't think that it's a coincidence.

Very few NFL teams are demonstrably better than their opponents on any given Sunday. Occasionally you'll get a game like Sea-St L last week but usually they're pretty close. The Bengals never have comfortable wins. They don't have much margin for error ever

traderumor
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
There's no question that there is some truth to your statement.However, it sure seems like that the teams demonstrably better then their opponent make their own luck at the end of games when they do get locked up in a close one.Teams that are bad seem to find their selves on the other end of that luck more often then not.I don't think that it's a coincidence.Making your own luck is an oxymoron. Good teams make more good plays, thus are good teams. That is a skill. Bad teams make more bad plays, thus are bad teams. That is lacking skill. Sometimes, bad teams have good things happen in a game and good teams have bad things happen in a game or less good things. These are called upsets.

Making your own luck? That is a nonsensical use of the English language.

Roy Tucker
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Bad calls happen all the time. The one from the base note is your basic garden-variety bad call.

These are truly bad calls.... http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/worstcalls/010730.html

Hoosier Red
09-16-2009, 04:12 PM
If you could teach that play it'll be in every NFL playbook. Look at film and defenses converge to the ball everytime when thrown by the QB. In hindsight it'd be best to leave one or two guys back but that bounce would have resulted in a TD against any NFL defense.

That's probably true. My point was more defending Roy Williams who has seemed to take the brunt of the blame on the play. Sorry, I shouldn't have derailed the thread.

Sea Ray
09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
That's probably true. My point was more defending Roy Williams who has seemed to take the brunt of the blame on the play. Sorry, I shouldn't have derailed the thread.

I agree with Mike Zimmer who also agrees with you, in that Roy Williams was not the goat on that play

Captain Hook
09-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Making your own luck is an oxymoron. Good teams make more good plays, thus are good teams. That is a skill. Bad teams make more bad plays, thus are bad teams. That is lacking skill. Sometimes, bad teams have good things happen in a game and good teams have bad things happen in a game or less good things. These are called upsets.

Making your own luck? That is a nonsensical use of the English language.

That was basically my point.I didn't realize that the term"making your own luck"was that bad.Thanks for the English lesson.