PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Bob Miller

nate
09-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Didn't see this (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/reds-chat-with-assistant-gm-bob-miller.html) posted:

Reds Chat With Assistant GM Bob Miller (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/reds-chat-with-assistant-gm-bob-miller.html)

By Tim Dierkes [September 17, 2009 at 12:26pm CST]
Reds assistant GM Bob Miller (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090917&content_id=7016810&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin) chatted with fans today for MLB.com. A few hot stove highlights:

Miller expects all four of the Reds' infielders to return for 2010. Presumably he is referring to Paul Janish as the shortstop, along with Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, and Scott Rolen. The fan from the chat had a point - that is a stellar defensive infield. Miller shot down a fan's idea of pursuing Orlando Hudson.
Miller hopes the Reds can come to an agreement with Jonny Gomes for next year. Shouldn't be too hard, since Gomes is under control as an arbitration-eligible player (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/jonny-gomes-future-with-the-reds.html).
Miller's philosophy on trades seems to be that everyone is available at the right price. Hard to argue with that.
Expect the player-to-be-named from the David Weathers trade to be finalized around mid-October.
Miller admitted that the offense is a weakness that needs to be addressed. A healthy, effective Jay Bruce and less Willy Taveras might be sufficient upgrades, in my opinion. What do you think about a Mike Cameron reunion?

Tom Servo
09-17-2009, 02:30 PM
redstockings54: What do you perceive as a weakness that must be addressed?

Miller: We need to score more runs.

Well, yeah.

TheNext44
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Just for clarification, Miller only said that he expects all the Reds infielders to be on the team next year, not that they will all be starters next year. Dierkes assumes that he means the latter, when Miller clearly only states the former.

TheNext44
09-17-2009, 02:33 PM
redstockings54: What do you perceive as a weakness that must be addressed?

Miller: We need to score more runs.

Well, yeah.

He could have said, "we need a healthy Taveras for the whole season." :cool:

RedLegSuperStar
09-17-2009, 04:05 PM
C: Hanigan
Back-Up
1B: Votto
2B: Phillips
SS: Janish (perhaps Hardy for Weathers)
3B: Rolen
Francisco
LF: Gomes
Francisco
Dickerson
CF: Stubbs
Dickerson
RF: Bruce

Add Taveras because his 4+ Million will be as hard to deal as it is for him to reach base. You'd have to think a utility guy would be the 13th man and you could figure Pete Rose-ales, Drew Sutton, Chris Valakia, and Danny Richar. Wlad Balentine could be an option in the OF aswell but I've got to think the Reds Are not going to be big spenders on the open market and Gomes is almost a must sign!

corkedbat
09-17-2009, 04:15 PM
In my, outside of Cueto and Volquez, getting Jay Bruce turned around and performin at an acceptable level is the most important priority in this franchise's future. I would get rid of Jacoby, find the best hitting coach I can possible find and make Jay Bruce his number one priority.

As a matter of fact, as part of their job interview, i would send each top candidate as much footage of Bruce hitting as possible about a week beforehand and then ask them what their approach would be.

Bruce would not have a guaranteed spot on the 25-man next spring either. Unless I ws satisfied with his approach at the plate, he would start the season at Louisvillle and have to put together at least two very strong months to earn his way back.

lollipopcurve
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Bruce would not have a guaranteed spot on the 25-man next spring either. Unless I ws satisfied with his approach at the plate, he would start the season at Louisvillle and have to put together at least two very strong months to earn his way back.

Let's see how winter and spring go -- but if he still looks as lost come next April as he has this season, I agree that AAA would be the best spot for him to recover his stroke and confidence, not the majors.

corkedbat
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Let's see how winter and spring go -- but if he still looks as lost come next April as he has this season, I agree that AAA would be the best spot for him to recover his stroke and confidence, not the majors.

Oh, I agree. I want him in RF when the season starts next year, but only if he improves. I'd almost spare no expense to see to it that he does improve - including sending someone to work with him over the winter. If he still looks like he has this season at the plate though, he has to earn his way back..

I know some have said that he has nothing to prove in the minors and I can see that point of view, but I think that Bruce seems so lost to me that I don't see him going back to the minors and just dominating. If he looks the same way next spring then I have him show some sustained success before he comes back. Kind of like the approach taken with Bailey.

icehole3
09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I Ed E can be sent down, so can Bruce IMO.

redsmetz
09-17-2009, 06:38 PM
What exactly did Miller say about Taveras? All is see is the writer's thoughts on that matter? Also, as most know, Miller can't directly address a question about Hudson since he's under another team's control; tampering rules and all.