PDA

View Full Version : It's fantasy time!

Redny
02-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Last year I was included in a fantasy league with several redszone regulars at sandbox. As it is now into February I would like to get something going with those members and others who would stay active throughout the season. Since sandbox has now gone to a monthly fee and will still be selling e-mail addresses to just about anyone who will pay. I have looked into some other options the best of which so far is: http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/fullseason/roto/login.html I would like to hear from those redszone members who are interested in participating, especially those from last year (most of whose redszone names I don't know). Please PM me or Vada Pinson Fan regarding your interest.
Thanks,
Ken

Redny
02-03-2003, 03:30 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

haassolo
02-03-2003, 03:41 PM
How about yahoo....it is free....this looks like a pay site

Sabo Fan
02-03-2003, 03:48 PM
In my opinion, Yahoo is the best free fantasy site going. I played in a Sandbox league last year and wasn't that impressed. I don't know what kind of draft format you'll be using, but Yahoo's live draft is pretty good, they keep season stats up to date and it's easy to use. Plus they have the various league types which I like. They'd get my vote.

Redny
02-03-2003, 03:49 PM
I couldn't find any up to date info on Yahoo. If you did please provide me a link. I would also prefer free, if it is well maintained.

Sabo Fan
02-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Yahoo hasn't put up anything on their fantasy baseball leagues as of yet. I would expect that to happen about the middle of the month. I haven't heard anything that would suggest that it's not going to be free this year. The only possible cost is if you want to upgrade to their premium package which includes rankings and a live-scoring feature among other things, but that's an individual decision and one that not everyone in the league would have to get.

Redny
02-03-2003, 04:08 PM
What kind of scoring and drafting did Yahoo use last season?

Red Leader
02-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by haassolo
How about yahoo....it is free....this looks like a pay site

I have been checking Yahoo everyday and they have not released their fantasy baseball games to date. I would love to get in another Redszone league this year. I had a lot of fun last year and it was very competitive. I expect that Yahoo will release the games by the end of February.

Sabo Fan
02-03-2003, 04:23 PM
What kind of scoring and drafting did Yahoo use last season?

There are several different ways to set up the league. There's head-to-head, rotisserie scoring, and the traditional fantasy point league. I've never used the rotisserie scoring before, but I have used the other two and thought they were both very good.

There are several draft types. There's the live online draft where you and the rest of your league draft at the same time. This usually takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on how many are in the league. If someone can't be at the draft, then they rank their players ahead of time and the computer drafts for them. Then there's the other live draft type where everyone has 24 hours to make their picks. This works for big leagues who can't get everyone together at the same time. If you don't want to do one of those, then you can set it up so that you rank all the players in the order you want, and then it automatically selects the highest ranked player still available. I might be leaving out a variation or two, but those are the basics.

TeamBoone
02-03-2003, 04:27 PM
I played on Yahoo last year with other RedsZone regulars; Chip was the commish. It was fun and plan to do it again this year.

Redny
02-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

haassolo
02-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Yahoo has to services, they have the basic which is free and they have a plu service that you have to pay for. The plus service just gives you added features such as real time and inside info, blah, blah , blah. I always use the free stuff and it works fine, it is updated daily and is easy to use. You can have big or small leagues, your choice. Depending on how many people we get we can have on e big league or a few small league, or more than one. I prefer to have a league with a bunch of teams, around 20, or we can go really hard and do 30, it really makes you work. It will open up in a few weeks, but we can get the preliminaries worked out, find out who is playing and set the size and everything. If we points, or if not what are the roto categories. We might want to do a list draft becasue it is hard to coordinate a time for everyone to meet

creek14
02-03-2003, 05:07 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about George Clooney.

SirFelixCat
02-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Fellas, regardless of what service is used, as long as it's a resonable price, I'd like in. As the reigning Redszone Fantasy Football Champ (:D ) I'd love to try my hand against ya'll in Baseball. I'll PM you, RedNY...keep me posted please!:beerme:

KYRedsFan
02-03-2003, 05:16 PM
I pm'd you NY. Yahoo is looking to be the best free site this year.

TeamCasey
02-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by TeamBoone
I played on Yahoo last year with other RedsZone regulars; Chip was the commish. It was fun and plan to do it again this year.

Actually Neo was our baseball commish, I think Chip did your football league.

Chip R
02-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by TeamCasey
Actually Neo was our baseball commish, I think Chip did your football league.

This is correct.

bigredmachine1976
02-03-2003, 07:30 PM
I'm in. I won two of the redszone yahoo leagues last season and am looking forward to defending my title.

By the way I've been doing tis for several years and i too believe Yahoo is the best and easiest to use.

wolfwolfwolf
02-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Yahoo is fine. I prefer the H-2-H format because dead teams cause less trouble.

Scrap Irony
02-03-2003, 10:46 PM
I'd like to play in your league this year if you'll have me. PM me with information, cost, etc., if you decide to do so. If not, give me a PM about when/"where" the draft will be.

Thanks.

savafan
02-04-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm interested...

I know last year, I focused mainly on my sandbox team, and neglected my yahoo team, but I don't plan on doing more than one this year.

Larkin Fan
02-04-2003, 01:13 AM
I'm interested. Please PM me when you have the details.

I agree with what other have been saying. If you're looking for a great free fantasy baseball game, Yahoo's game is the best.

GAC
02-04-2003, 05:09 AM
I'm an old timer who doesn't know a thing about playing in a fantasy league.

How much of an effort and time does it involve daily?

I'd be interested, but as a working Dad with 3 hungry mouths to feed, I haven't gotten involved in the past because of the above reasons. I didn't want to make a commitment to something like this, and then find out I didn't have the time to be able to keep it up, and then end up contracted! :p

I thought about doing it and trying to get my daughter involved in helping me run my team. Maybe between the two of us we could handle it.

Just how complicated is it?

Thanks

KYRedsFan
02-04-2003, 06:31 AM
GAC, I would say most of the work involves getting ready for your draft. In head to head leauges, you only have to worry about setting your roster once a week, so at the bare min you would have to check in just once a week (but that's no fun right) to update your roster based on injuries, performance, etc. Above and beyond that is up to the owner, but to remain active that would be all that's needed.

letsgojunior
02-04-2003, 08:01 AM
I would like to play. Sounds great. I've never done Yahoo fantasy before so hopefully someone can help me out?

LexingtonRedsFan
02-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Count me in--I'm always looking for a chance to kick Vada Pinson's(Jerry) butt in fantasy games...:D

Ryan the Reds Fan
02-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Well I know I was in Chips last year and one on Sandbox with some Zoners, I am up for whatever, will definitely do Chips and if we get the same group form Sandbox, I would be glad to defend my title there.

Looking forward to a heated fantasy season,

Ryan

Vada Pinson Fan
02-04-2003, 10:57 AM
As Redny pointed out in this topic of his, we're looking for people that will be highly active with their team in our league whether it be at the Sporting News Site (pay to play) or Yahoo's (free at this point) .

In our fantasy basball league last year (Larkin Fan set it up as an official Redszone League at Sandbox) only 4 - 5 people in our 10 team league participated at a highly active level last year. Redny and I are asking for a highly active level of involvement from our league players because it makes the league so much more fun than having "dead teams" not participate.

I played in 2 fantasy basball leagues last year. I won the Sandbox league that Redny(finished 2nd), LexingtonRedsFan(Kevin-finished last, LOL!!!) and others played in last baseball season.

WolfWolfWolf(Larry? or was Larry's team named Bob Boone) weren't you in this league of ours last year?
Sorry, I have forgotten.

I finished 2nd in the other Sandbox league I played in that also had Lexington Reds Fan in it.

It's always fun competing against and beating great competitors like Redny(Ken) & Kevin. Kevin knows that I've always beaten him in baseball :beerme: .

Redny- as for what you requested in your opening post on this subject, just an FYI - I haven't received any PM's from any potential team owner wanting to participate at a high level in our league for this upcoming season.

Thanks Ken for getting the ball rolling!!! :) :)

Looking Forward to another fun season of fantasy baseball!!!
Jerry/Vada Pinson Fan

Chip R
02-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
Well I know I was in Chips last year and one on Sandbox with some Zoners, I am up for whatever, will definitely do Chips and if we get the same group form Sandbox, I would be glad to defend my title there.

Ryan, you're confusing the fantasy football league with fantasy baseball. I'm not a fantasy baseball player.

TeamBoone
02-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Ooops, you're right... sorry Neo.

Please PM me about this league.

Ryan the Reds Fan
02-04-2003, 01:23 PM
U R right Chip Neo set up our baseball league, sorry for the confusion.

Red Leader
02-04-2003, 01:33 PM
I have been playing Yahoo baseball for about 3 years now. The free Yahoo games are usually released the 3rd Friday in February, so this year it would be Friday, February 21st. Just thought I would post this for people. I was hoping the games would be released early this year since every year it seems like more and more people get interested in fantasy games, but I am going to go with my gut and say that it will be the 21st before the game is released. I'm sure we could get all of the leagues organized in the meantime, but the actual setup of the leagues will have to wait until the 21st.

DelhiRed
02-05-2003, 11:52 PM
I'd be very interested in being part of the league. I've used Yahoo for both football and basketball and think they do a very good job (especially considering it's free). You don't have to worry about me...I'm a very active owner.

TeamCasey
02-06-2003, 09:42 AM

Would that be the one that I won? :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Bobkat
02-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I would also like to get in on a league this year.

Sandbox is charging this year? Even for the Full Count??

Neo
02-06-2003, 06:23 PM
I set up 3 leagues last season. I simply cannot set up that many this year with my time. But I will set up one for Yahoo again this season. If your interested in joining one of my leagues let me know. Just send a PM my way.

Neo

Johnny Footstool
02-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm interested in playing. I've played for several years, and I'm extremely active and won't quit playing in August.

Chip R
02-06-2003, 07:02 PM
No problem, Ryan. Just didn't want you waiting around for a league that would never get set up. :thumbup: