PDA

View Full Version : What does our late season success mean?

mlh1981
09-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Bunch of young guys playing with no pressure against joke competition such as the Pirates and other teams who are out of it?

OR

A sign that this organization is making progress and ready to take the next step in 2010?

OR

Something in the middle?

What is your stance on the team as of late? Some people may like the idea of losing ballgames and sending a "message" to the front office and what not, but I like to win. I am skeptical on our recent success. Given that there is NOTHING to play for, guys are loose and just going out there and having fun. No telling what they will do in a pressure situation.

Slyder
09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
We played well at the end of last season too.

Im pessimistic that the offense and rotation will be good enough (without MAJOR additions) to be anything more than maybe 500 in one of the softest divisions in baseball again.

We're playing teams out of it for the most part and the young guys are just playing to "prove" themselves going into next year.

BigPoppa
09-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I, for one, am basking in the wins, no matter the circumstances.

We all know one thing that has to happen either way, Willy has to ride the pine or get gone.

I have confidence in the rotation (I wouldn't mind picking up a good FA starter this winter) and we see when everyone is healthy at the same time what the offense can do......(Bruce, Votto, BP, Rolen, (if we keep) Gomes).

Bruce is going to play some winter ball to iron out the rough spots.

Is Janish the answer at SS ? He ain't Larkin or Concepcion, yet by he shows flashes of big league stuff. Can he get some more AB's over the winter anywhere ? We just need him to be a .250 ish batter and keep doing the glove work. I heard somebody (Marty, I think) say it had been a long time since he had seen a Reds keystone pair look more comfortable together as BP and Janish do.

We don't have superstars behind the plate, but we have solid defensive players (and inexpensive) with Hanigan, Tatum, and hell, even Corky has had a good late season. I like Hernandez, but if we could unload him and use his money elsewhere, I'd be okay with that.

We know Volquez won't be back, but if everyone else can stay healthy, and we can get Willy T. out of the lineup, I think we'll have something next year.

Ghosts of 1990
09-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I think it means the same thing it means every year when we play well down the stretch. It means that baseball is a funny game and when the pressure is on, players in this city don't perform well. Just my 2 cents

pjhogan
09-27-2009, 02:42 PM
It probably means less of a sense or urgency of upgrading the club. That and a lower draft pick makes these wins potentially detrimental to the future.

BlastFurnace
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Dusty will be back for another season

will5979
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
What success? We now have been delievered our 9th consectutive losing season as of about 4:35 today...thanks a lot @$$holes...I love being a Reds fans, thanks for everyone who has disgraced this great once proud franchise.

bellposter
09-27-2009, 09:35 PM
It means the same as the number of rbis that cubs outfielder sam fuld has this year

bounty37h
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
the same as it has the last several seasons, nothing.

flash
09-28-2009, 11:28 PM
it is encouraging to say the least. Seriously though, some things to note

Bailey has looked good. Now he must be consistent
Arroyo has been great. Now he must do it all year.
Phillips may have grown up with a real ballplayer on the field, not super studs Griffey and Dunn. (By the way Rolen is good, but not HALL OF FAME material. maybe Mike Shannon/ Joe Torre, but not Hall of Fame.)
Maybe Sutton has figured it out, I would like to see how he might fare at SS next year, at least with a platoon with Janish.
Gomes has played well. I'll be honest he has done better than I expected.
Kip Wells has done better than I expected.

tobttr
09-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Winning games in the late season has to be good. If we had lost 8 out of 10 to Houston & Pittsburgh, can you imagine the bellyaching that would be going on now? "...We can't even beat Pittsburgh's AAA team..."
It means that Bailey MAY be on the verge, that Votto is terrific, that Phillips is solid again this year, that Arroyo somehow still gets people out with that 68 mph curve, that Rolen is the best 3B we've had for a long time.
So there is good news. While I'm encouraged by Gomes & Stubbs, we've certainly seen one-year wonders before, so I'm not sold on these guys just yet. Not saying they won't be very good, just that the jury's still out. Same with Bruce & Janish.
It means that despite some offensive fireworks in the past week, this team has to improve offensively. The posters who worry that the front office will be fooled into thinking that we are OK on offense are either wrong or else we've got the worst executives in the history of sports.

FlyerFanatic
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Winning games in the late season has to be good. If we had lost 8 out of 10 to Houston & Pittsburgh, can you imagine the bellyaching that would be going on now? "...We can't even beat Pittsburgh's AAA team..."
It means that Bailey MAY be on the verge, that Votto is terrific, that Phillips is solid again this year, that Arroyo somehow still gets people out with that 68 mph curve, that Rolen is the best 3B we've had for a long time.
So there is good news. While I'm encouraged by Gomes & Stubbs, we've certainly seen one-year wonders before, so I'm not sold on these guys just yet. Not saying they won't be very good, just that the jury's still out. Same with Bruce & Janish.
It means that despite some offensive fireworks in the past week, this team has to improve offensively. The posters who worry that the front office will be fooled into thinking that we are OK on offense are either wrong or else we've got the worst executives in the history of sports.

i dont think the front office thinks we are ok offensively. i think the money we have or dont have, is going to determine what we do to fix that problem. i dont see us spending any this offseason. that doesnt mean the FO likes what they see in the offense, but that they can pass it off as a decent offense so they dont have to spend money in the off season. there have been numerous quotes about injuries dating back the first half of the season. i remember hearing someone walt or dusty mentioning how we hadnt had our starting day lineup out on the field, this was midway through the season, i'm shaking my head saying, you had darnell mcdonald in your starting day lineup!

DannyB
09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
the same as it has the last several seasons, nothing.
bingo

Kingspoint
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
It means Dusty's gauranteed to be back.
:(

redram
09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Well to me it mean they are a lot more fun to watch and this team did not lay down and die like I have seen in the past. I see promise for the future in Bailey, Bruce and I see a TEAM playing right now. IMO the addition of Rolen was big and hopefully this will carry over to next year.

BatsExaminer
09-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Not sure if there is any correlation to guys playing in this league and it helping, but here is a story on it nonetheless....

http://www.examiner.com/x-6603-Louisville-Bats-Examiner~y2009m9d29-Four-Reds-prospects-to-play-in-Arizona-Fall-League

Kingspoint
09-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Well to me it mean they are a lot more fun to watch and this team did not lay down and die like I have seen in the past. I see promise for the future in Bailey, Bruce and I see a TEAM playing right now. IMO the addition of Rolen was big and hopefully this will carry over to next year.

Rolen has nothing to do with the improvement of the team play. Rolen's play has been average, at best.

KiefMoon
09-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Is Janish the answer at SS ? He ain't Larkin or Concepcion, yet by he shows flashes of big league stuff.

BP, Not trying to single you out for saying this but it seems that this is the consensus of Reds fans. That Janish isn't up to the standard. Unfortunately that is completely FALSE. Have you ever compared Janish's offensive numbers in 08-09 (138 games) to Concepcion's 71 season (His 2nd full year)? They played close to the same number of games and had near the same at bats. Janish beats him in nearly EVERY category. He is exactly 1 point worse than Concepcion in fielding.

The thing everyone needs to remember is how young these guys are in the starting 8 (yeah minus Rolen). Everybody talks about 75/76 and wants them to Re-Pete the glory, but they ignore the fact that 3 of the big four were over 30, Bench & Concepcion were 27 and the outfield was largely untested just as the outfield we should have next year will be.

The Reds need 2 things: patience and people to start buying tickets, these kids will win. Maybe not with Baker/Pole/Jacoby but they will win.

Jack Burton
09-30-2009, 08:52 PM
The sad realization is that this team has been out of it since June, the end of the season push means nothing. Except that all coaches/managers will probably keep their jobs, which is definitely not a good thing.

redram
09-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Rolen has nothing to do with the improvement of the team play. Rolen's play has been average, at best.

Right, Ok let's bring Edwin Back :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Krawhitham
09-30-2009, 11:42 PM
What does our late season success mean?

A worse draft pick slot, nothing more

Krawhitham
09-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Right, Ok let's bring Edwin Back :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6 HR & 19 RBI

40 points higher SLG

8 Years Younger

Mutaman
09-30-2009, 11:57 PM

Rolen's play has been average ( if being flawless in the field and always getting the runner in from third with less than two outs is considered average). But the guy is clearly such a pro, and gives this team a presence they haven't had since Larkin retired. And this fact has been strongly reiterated in staements by Votto, BP, McCoy, and Marty.

ILoveWilly
10-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Wow, people complain about everything. I like the team ending hot with a chance to finish 3rd. Maybe its meaningless, but at least its good for morale. We've went 25-11 our last 36 games, last year we went 19-17. So its a little dumb to say we did the same last year, its not even close so far.

I think there's a lot thats been shown. Rolen is a great upgrade at 3rd. Bailey has turned around his career in this late stretch and looks like he might now finally be able to be a full time starter. Arroyo has been ridiculously good, and that probably won't last forever but who knows, maybe he's finally learned to pitch smart and not implode constantly. Oh and Stubbs, who isn't putting up ridiculous numbers or anything, but he has proven right now he looks worlds better than Taveras.

So yeah, excuse me for not just saying everything is a waste, but its actually nice to win and nice we could even finish in the upper half of the division.

Mutaman
10-01-2009, 02:35 AM
So yeah, excuse me for not just saying everything is a waste, but its actually nice to win and nice we could even finish in the upper half of the division.

It is nice.

redram
10-04-2009, 02:02 AM
6 HR & 19 RBI

40 points higher SLG

8 Years Younger

You forgot to add one of the most emotionless players ever. I would take Rolen over Edwin a million times over. He is a better fielder, hitter and team player, oh and he is a winner and can help spread what this feels like to the young players on this team. There is absolutely no comparison between the two as a baseball player and team mate. Stats do not mean everything and it gets real old having them thrown in your face all the time. Heart means much more to me and it will to this team as well.

redram
10-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Wow, people complain about everything. I like the team ending hot with a chance to finish 3rd. Maybe its meaningless, but at least its good for morale. We've went 25-11 our last 36 games, last year we went 19-17. So its a little dumb to say we did the same last year, its not even close so far.

I think there's a lot thats been shown. Rolen is a great upgrade at 3rd. Bailey has turned around his career in this late stretch and looks like he might now finally be able to be a full time starter. Arroyo has been ridiculously good, and that probably won't last forever but who knows, maybe he's finally learned to pitch smart and not implode constantly. Oh and Stubbs, who isn't putting up ridiculous numbers or anything, but he has proven right now he looks worlds better than Taveras.

Everything he said!!! Looking forward to 2010

DannyB
10-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Wait till next year :thumbup:

FlyerFanatic
10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Wait till next year :thumbup:

the reds team motto

BeesCilk73
10-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Each event that ended an era, they all were different. Ice Age, Stone Age, Dino etc. What do you predict to happen which will end our era?

tobttr
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Each event that ended an era, they all were different. Ice Age, Stone Age, Dino etc. What do you predict to happen which will end our era?

Taveras will get on base?