PDA

View Full Version : NHL 09-10 Season

Sean_CaseyRules
10-01-2009, 07:17 AM
It's that time again!!! I can't wait to hear AC/DC, a cannon, and Joe Satriani playing this year!

I'm very optimistic after last years run to the playoffs for the Jackets.

Anyone else wanna get some thoughts in on this upcoming NHL season?

reds1869
10-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I think the Jackets or Hawks will make a serious run at Detroit. I honestly think the key to success for the CBJ is the health of Mason, Nash and Brassard. IF they stay healthy and guys like Filatov contribute, we can win a playoff series or two.

I am disappointed that Time Warner is not showing the Jackets opener here in Cincinnati. Usually they put it on an overflow channel when there is a conflict with the Reds or Cavs, but apparently they're not doing so Saturday. I guess the loop of customer service promos is just too valuable. :(

westofyou
10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Detroit is still the team to beat in the west, though the BH's are moving up. The BJ's might win a round if they get in the playoffs, but they won't place higher than 3rd in the division. The east has more offense and flash, but I really see more west games myself so I can't make too much of a prediction out of that section of the league, other than the Caps are probably better than the Pens at this point

NJReds
10-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Once again I expect the Sharks to roll through the season and crash in the playoffs. Until they do otherwise, that's what I believe.

reds1869
10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Once again I expect the Sharks to roll through the season and crash in the playoffs. Until they do otherwise, that's what I believe.

They were talking about that on NHL Network this morning. Some of the pundits think Heatley is the great savior but somehow I expect more of the same in SJ.

NJReds
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
They were talking about that on NHL Network this morning. Some of the pundits think Heatley is the great savior but somehow I expect more of the same in SJ.

You have to expect it, because it's how this team has defined itself - playoff underachievers.

hebroncougar
10-01-2009, 03:10 PM
I think the Jackets or Hawks will make a serious run at Detroit. I honestly think the key to success for the CBJ is the health of Mason, Nash and Brassard. IF they stay healthy and guys like Filatov contribute, we can win a playoff series or two.

I am disappointed that Time Warner is not showing the Jackets opener here in Cincinnati. Usually they put it on an overflow channel when there is a conflict with the Reds or Cavs, but apparently they're not doing so Saturday. I guess the loop of customer service promos is just too valuable. :(

Can you get Center Ice with TW? It's free on DTV for the first 3 weeks of the season, so I'm hoping I can watch it that way.

reds1869
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Can you get Center Ice with TW? It's free on DTV for the first 3 weeks of the season, so I'm hoping I can watch it that way.

Yes, but the Jackets are blacked out on CI--at least they were the past two years when I had Dish.

*BaseClogger*
10-02-2009, 03:13 AM
This is a guest post by Adam:

Honestly, I don't think the Brassard deal was legit. We haven't even seen him play half a season yet. He could turn out being a flop. If Rick Nash decides to backcheck maybe we will have a good season but besides that we will get dominated by Detroit.

blumj
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
http://http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q124/cdnuniguy/Winter%20Classic%202010/wclayout.jpg

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2009/12/18/bs-legends-skate-at-fenway/

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/gallery/12_18_09_Fenway_skate/

Patrick Bateman
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Blackhawks are looking great. Will be interesting to see Detroit when they get healthy. Not sure how they stack up yet, but I think they are ready for them this year if they get to a playoff match-up. Their defense has been incredible this year.

westofyou
12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Blackhawks are looking great. Will be interesting to see Detroit when they get healthy. Not sure how they stack up yet, but I think they are ready for them this year if they get to a playoff match-up. Their defense has been incredible this year.

yep there defense was the biggest question mark, now the biggest one is will they be able to capitalize with their roster before the salary cap closes their window, they have a lot of big money tied up in the next few years.

The Wings have been decimated by injuries and it's a wonder they still can field a competive team, that bodes well for a healthy team in the playoffs though.

Raisor
12-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Thrashers have been fun to watch this year. Haven't made it to a game yet, but we're going first or second week in January.

Kingspoint
12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
BlackHawks are dominating.

Time for some AC/DC.

westofyou
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Blue Jackets are floundering, incredibly weak defense the culprit, this is a bad thing since it was considered a strength. The major one.

Kingspoint
12-29-2009, 08:04 AM
That enormous Hossa contract is paying off.

westofyou
12-29-2009, 11:19 AM
That enormous Hossa contract is paying off.

For now, but that contract has big teeth in its tail.

westofyou
02-03-2010, 06:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-bluejackets-hitchcockfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—The Columbus Blue Jackets fired defensive-minded coach Ken Hitchcock on Wednesday, less than a year after the club made the postseason for the first time.

Assistant coach Claude Noel was chosen to lead the team on an interim basis.

General manager Scott Howson announced the firing a day after the struggling Blue Jackets blew a 1-0 lead in a listless 5-1 loss at Colorado. Columbus stands 14th of the 15 teams in the Western Conference with a 22-27-9 record and 53 points.

“This season has been very disappointing for the Blue Jackets organization and our fans,” Howson said. “Hitch worked tirelessly to build an identity for this team that was missing before he arrived and deserves a great deal of credit for those efforts. He earned and received the opportunity to turn things around this season, but unfortunately that has not happened.”

The Blue Jackets play their next game at home against Dallas on Thursday night.

The 54-year-old Noel joined the Blue Jackets as an assistant coach in June 2007, after spending four seasons as the head coach of the American Hockey League’s Milwaukee Admirals. During that time, he led the club to a 183-94-12-31 regular-season record, three 100-point seasons and two West Division titles.

Built around star forward Rick Nash(notes), the Blue Jackets made it to the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs a year ago before being swept by the Detroit Red Wings.

Hitchcock picked up his 500th career victory behind the Columbus bench, but the team appeared stagnant after a fast start this season.

“Ken Hitchcock joined the Blue Jackets at a time when our team needed credibility, stability and structure, which is exactly what he provided and for that we are extremely grateful,” Blue Jackets President Mike Priest said.

Patrick Bateman
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
That's too bad about Hitch. I'm sure Scott Howson would be the first to say that Hitch is one of the top 5 coaches in the NHL.

However, that only means so much. At some point the players need a different voice... even if not's not neccessarily a better voice. It can create a spark and maybe more motivation. It's just the first place to start if you want to see some improvement from a team without changing the product on the ice.

BTW, the Jackets really could have used a Dion Phaneuf. Seems like he came at a pretty reasonable price that the Jackets could have affored when they don't have any defensemen that can play the type of monster game that Phaneuf can, and a gamble like that could have done a lot for that franchise.

Revering4Blue
02-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Thrashers trade Kovalchuk to Devils

NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—The defensive-minded New Jersey Devils picked up one of the NHL’s marquee goal scorers in acquiring Ilya Kovalchuk from the Atlanta Thrashers in a blockbuster deal Thursday night.

In getting the 31-goal scorer from the Thrashers, the Devils shipped defenseman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, junior prospect Patrice Cormier and a first-round draft pick this year to the Thrashers for Kovalchuk and former Devils defenseman Anssi Samlema. The teams also swapped second-round draft picks this year.

The deal was made just hours after Atlanta general manager Don Waddell said the franchise would aggressively explore all its options after Kovalchuk rejected a 12-year, $101 million extension.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AujrkXAGCG9AAG_O9DBkTJA5nYcB?slug=ap-kovalchuktrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

NJReds
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Thrashers trade Kovalchuk to Devils

NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—The defensive-minded New Jersey Devils picked up one of the NHL’s marquee goal scorers in acquiring Ilya Kovalchuk from the Atlanta Thrashers in a blockbuster deal Thursday night.

In getting the 31-goal scorer from the Thrashers, the Devils shipped defenseman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, junior prospect Patrice Cormier and a first-round draft pick this year to the Thrashers for Kovalchuk and former Devils defenseman Anssi Samlema. The teams also swapped second-round draft picks this year.

The deal was made just hours after Atlanta general manager Don Waddell said the franchise would aggressively explore all its options after Kovalchuk rejected a 12-year, $101 million extension.

Great deal for the Devils. The difference between the first round pick that they traded and the second round pick they swapped w/Atlanta will net a similar player. Ilya is only 26.

Boston Red
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
All I know about the NHL is that the homestanding Bruins are awful.

reds1869
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
All I know about the NHL is that the homestanding Bruins are awful.

Yes sir, they stink.

Kingspoint
03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
For now, but that contract has big teeth in its tail.

That's OK.

Whatever it takes to finally get the Chicago Blackhawks their FIRST NHL Championship. Waiting on the Cubs and the WhiteSox have been nothing compared to the Blackhawks. At least the Cubs once won a championship, even though it's going on 5 generations. The Blackhawks have NEVER one, and they were one of the Original-6.

Last Night:

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Blackhawks made quick work of Olympic gold medal-winning goalie Roberto Luongo and the Vancouver Canucks.

Andrew Ladd, Duncan Keith, Troy Brouwer, Kris Versteeg and Jordan Hendry scored first-period goals to chase Luongo in the Blackhawks' 6-3 victory Friday.

Marian Hossa added a goal and assist, and Jonathan Toews had two assists to help Chicago win for the sixth time in seven games and pull into a first-place tie with San Jose in the Western Conference.

Keith and Toews, along with Chicago's Brent Seabrook, also played on Canada's Olympic team. On Friday, the Blackhawks pounced on the Canucks' coverage mistakes, as well as miscues by Luongo, to take early control against the conference foe they eliminated from the playoffs last spring.

Chip R
03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Chelly gets the call, again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4982207

westofyou
03-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Chelly gets the call, again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4982207

An amazing feat, Go Chelly go.

Jay Bruce
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
That's OK.

The Blackhawks have NEVER one, and they were one of the Original-6.

They've won 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Cup_champions

westofyou
03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
They've won 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Cup_champions

yes, and none in my lifetime.. and I have been watching them for almost 40 years