PDA

View Full Version : Dick Pole gone

GIDP
10-02-2009, 03:42 PM
According to John Fays twitter all coaches but Pole had contracts renewed.

interesting...

fewfirstchoice
10-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Im not happy that someone has lost their job but I believe this is the right move to help the Reds get back to the playoffs. The only question I have now is this. How in the world did the hitting coach(Jacoby i think is how its spelled) keep his job? I was looking for both Pole and he to be let go.

shredda2000
10-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Does this open the door for Soto???

Rockermann
10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Strange this was announced three days before the end of the season. Pole left and will not be at the last three games. Wonder if this is tied to the Arroyo Ball Rubbing scandal?

Mutaman
10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Strange this was announced three days before the end of the season. Pole left and will not be at the last three games. Wonder if this is tied to the Arroyo Ball Rubbing scandal?

I agree. While I doubt it had anything to do with the La Russa nonsence, why couldn't they wait until Monday.

BigPoppa
10-02-2009, 05:58 PM

I think this would be very helpful. :thumbup:

BigPoppa
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree that Jacoby should not have been renewed, and Mark Berry should have been, at least, assigned to other duties. He has cost us at least a dozen runs this year, IMO.

Slyder
10-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Jacoby and Berry should have been the first ones out the door. I'm not saying Pole was the right guy for pitching coach but the overall pitching improved. The offense was attrocious before/during the injuries and been awful for most of the time Jacoby's been around.

This is probably just the sacrificial lamb firing. Something had to change, I guess Pole drew the short straw. I hope Power, Lehr (and Im being semi-serious), and Soto are given looks. I'm just afraid we'll hire someone for a "big name".

Ghosts of 1990
10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Soto would be a good choice, I liked Dick though.

Jacoby should have been fired. Unreal. Terrible.

Play Ball
10-02-2009, 11:19 PM
How much BETTER would the pitching stats be if the offense had been more consistent or even existent? Hitting coach should be shown the door for the lack of discipline, basic skills, bunting ability, etc by the players. Having this done 3 days before season ends is classless- regardless of the pine tar/carolina mudd /vaseline/crisco ballrubbing incident- and Dick Poles' perceived part in it. I think an 8 foot statue of Dick Pole should be erected at the stadium entrance....out of respect for the wrong coach being fired! Everyone could rub it, for good luck, and a WIN! on the way into the stadium. (They do that somewhere else in the world- I remember-mebbee at a religious shrine for salvation,dunno) When a shut out is pitched-they could blow stuff (pine tar/carolina mudd/vaseline/crisco) out of the top of it-similar to the stacks when home runs are hit. Fair is fair. i wish Dick Pole the best in his next career-(I heard he was talking with Ron Jeremey..):rockband:

Kingspoint
10-03-2009, 04:30 AM
While he has had some success over the years, I think Pole was a weak spot on the coaching staff recently. I agree with the move.

Walt, can you do something about Taveras and Nix, please?

....and trade a couple of those huge contracts of Arroyo/Harang/Rolen/Cordero?

roby
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
While he has had some success over the years, I think Pole was a weak spot on the coaching staff recently. I agree with the move.

Mario Soto should replace the bullpen coach
Dave Duncan should be brought in as the pitching coach (or Mazzone)
Chris Sabo should replace Berry at third base
Eric Davis succeeding Jacoby as the hitting coach
Ron Oester should replace Chris Speier as the bench coach
Keep Billy Hatcher at first base

malcontent
10-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree...Mark Berry should have been, at least, assigned to other duties. He has cost us at least a dozen runs this year, IMO.
How about rubbing the balls up?

How he keeps his job is beyond me.

BigPoppa
10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Mario Soto should replace the bullpen coach
Dave Duncan should be brought in as the pitching coach (or Mazzone)
Chris Sabo should replace Berry at third base
Eric Davis succeeding Jacoby as the hitting coach
Ron Oester should replace Chris Speier as the bench coach
Keep Billy Hatcher at first base

Duncan might come to spite the Cardinals, but if not, make Soto the pitching coach.

Fire or at least reassign Mark Berry....maybe give Hatcher a shot there. Bring in Rich Donnelly if we can get him.

Would Sean Casey come back to be the hitting coach ?

Fon Duc Tow
10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
So, Dick Pole was rubbing the balls up?

lol

will5979
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Taveras and Nix BOTH need to be shown the door.

Harang is expendable due to age, dwindling performance, and pitching depth.

Arroyo, Cordero, and Rolen are NOT!

Girevik
10-05-2009, 01:02 PM

My early money is on Ted Power. From what I've heard, people really like the works he's done with the ML pitchers.

PhillipsHead
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Is this true? If so...it's about time...

gedred69
10-05-2009, 11:52 PM
If from within, it's got to be Power. Otherwise Duncan or Mazzone. Is either actually available? Both are extrordinary with starters, and with so many young starters on the verge of coming "into their own", would be a fantastic addition for this staff.

GIDP
10-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Id go Soto if he wants it then id go Power. No reason to go out of the org for a pitching coach when it seems like a couple good options right here in the system.

RedLakerFan24
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Go with Soto

texasdave
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
If you were to ask me which should be gone - Pole or Jacoby. I would think Jacoby in a heartbeat. This pitching staff was much better this year. How much you want to credit that to improved defense is up to you. I certainly think the pitchers acquitted themselves better than the bats did. Hopefully this is a prelude to Duncan.