PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Blue Jackets

Brutus
10-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Not sure how many hockey fans, or specifically, Blue Jackets' fans there are on this board, but nice to see Columbus get off to its first ever 2-0 start with a nice win against Vancouver Monday night.

The nice thing is that the Jackets have won a pair of games with Rick Nash not having to score. They even scored on the power play last night - and they were atrocious last year with the man advantage.

This team will be real fun to watch. With Nash, Derick Brassard, Antoine Vermette, Jared Boll and now Nikita Filatov, they have a real talented young core of scorers. Throw in Steve Mason at goal, and Klesla, Tyutin, Hejda and now Stralman on defense, and I really think this team has a chance to compete beyond just getting to the playoffs.

Would like to see the power play unit continue to get better. But if they can score without having to get constant production from Nash, they're going to only get better. They face a tough test on Thursday in San Jose. Should be an interesting early challenge.

Captain Hook
10-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Not a big hockey fan but living in Columbus has opened my eyes to the spot some.The CBJ are off to a nice start and I can tell you right now if they keep it up the city will support this team big time.Even guys like me who know little about the sport and only follows the local team to a small extent could end up being die hard fans.It's going to take a winner though.Hopefully the franchise is headed that direction and I will be swept up in hockey fever.

westofyou
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Tis early, I'm still not sold on the BJ's getting enough offense from their D and deeper lines. They will struggle to score goals is my guess, they have a good goalie though.

I still have them earmarked for 4th place in the division.

Brutus
10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Tis early, I'm still not sold on the BJ's getting enough offense from their D and deeper lines. They will struggle to score goals is my guess, they have a good goalie though.

I still have them earmarked for 4th place in the division.

I tentatively think they'll finish 3rd behind Chicago and Detroit.

Scoring was an issue last year, but people forget what the loss of Brassard meant to that team after 30 games. He was scoring points at a pace nearly the same of Nash. In fact, in 30 games, he had a +/- of 12, which was tied for second best on the team for the entire season.

I agree with you about the defense with the 2nd & 3rd lines. I'm still not totally sold on that. However, if Brassard plays like he was last year, their offense might be just fine. Anything they get from this kid Filatov might simply be an added bonus.

reds1869
10-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I think they won't score many goals, but quite frankly with Mase in goal and the team playing Hitch's system, they won't have to. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they can take down Chicago for second place. Detroit is probably well out of reach, but you just never now in hockey. In the end as long as they finish on one of those top eight conference spots I'll be thrilled.

hebroncougar
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Pretty good board over at www.bluejackets247.com for discussion on the team.

reds1869
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Pretty good board over at www.bluejackets247.com for discussion on the team.

I also recommend HFBoards. It is a great place to talk hockey.

http://hfboards.com/index.php

timmario66
10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I also recommend HFBoards. It is a great place to talk hockey.

http://hfboards.com/index.php

I agree with this one. I don't post often but not a better site to talk Jackets hockey.

In today's news, Brassard and Vermette swap lines. Could take a little pressure off of Brassard for the time being. I don't know about having all the kids on the 2nd line though (Filatov/Brassard/Voracek).

improbus
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
My problem with the Jackets is that they don't have Defensemen who can move the puck. The Jackets powerplay problems (their biggest weakness) stem from their inability to have that puck wizard on the point.

Raisor
10-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Most importantly, the Thrashers are undefeated so far.

Ok, it was one game, but we're better off then last year!

westofyou
10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
My problem with the Jackets is that they don't have Defensemen who can move the puck. The Jackets powerplay problems (their biggest weakness) stem from their inability to have that puck wizard on the point.

True, you can't win in the NHL without dmen who can't move the puck, the clutch and grab era is over, big meat ain't gonna do it alone anymore.

Brutus
10-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Jackets lose 6-3 Thursday night in San Jose but rebound tonight in Phoenix with a 2-0 victory. They're now 3-1 and lead the Central with 6 points. They went 2-1 on the West coast roadie. Decent showing.

NatiRedGals
10-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes and wow. I agree with Hitchcock we may not have a so called "Backup" Goalie we mise well have 2 starters :) Man I sure am looking forward to the rest of the season! Ill probably go to the game Tuesday night take the 1 hour 45 min drive from Cinci :)

Brutus
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Jackets improve to 4-1 with a 2-1 victory over Calgary in Columbus. CBJ right now dominating the NHL with a 94% penalty kill rate. They're still struggling in their own Power Play opportunities, though they are showing signs of life in that department, including a goal with a 2-man advantage in the game last night.

Very impressive start thus far.

redsfan1966
10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I really want to get back into the Jackets....I remember being at the 'Wide for the inaugural game and the excitement everyone had until the Blackhawks squeaked out a win....but I have never recovered from two seasons ago when Doug MacLean's attitude and the team just quitting on the season burned me out. I am such a big Reds, Buckeye and (yes, its true) Steeler fan that something had to give (especially being married)--and the Jackets were the team I decided to scale back on....maybe a good season after the playoff season last year will win me back...

NatiRedGals
10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Was there Tuesday night We looked really really bad in the 1st Period. But after that it was what Hitchcock does every single game. Talks to them and they come out firing. We had 2 power play goals in the game. Hopefully that means we turn that around. All i know is this is a team to be recon with. Alot of young guys such a bright future and the future could be starting this year.

Brutus
10-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Was there Tuesday night We looked really really bad in the 1st Period. But after that it was what Hitchcock does every single game. Talks to them and they come out firing. We had 2 power play goals in the game. Hopefully that means we turn that around. All i know is this is a team to be recon with. Alot of young guys such a bright future and the future could be starting this year.

If they keep Filatov happy, this nucleus will be around for several years. The sky is the limit for this group. It might not be this year, as they will still continue to go through some growing pains, but in another year or two - look out.

westofyou
11-05-2009, 11:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4626073

Thursday, November 5, 2009
Report: Jackets losing big money locally
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Columbus may have trouble holding on to the NHL's Blue Jackets because the club has been losing $12 million a year in central Ohio, according to a report released Thursday by a business group.
The report commissioned by the Columbus Chamber offers a variety of options for strengthening the hockey team's financial position, such as new taxes or fees or selling shares to other investors or the general public.
Other suggestions include allowing the team to renegotiate its lease for Nationwide Arena or trying to attract a second major tenant, such as a basketball team.

"It is important that our community retain this team," said Dave Blom, chairman of the Columbus Chamber board. "The Columbus Blue Jackets impact our regional economy, support thousands of jobs and bring millions of dollars in tax revenue that contribute to our quality of life."
In the decade following 1998, the year after investors began the move to bring the team to Columbus, the city's downtown Arena District has attracted various retail, restaurants and other businesses, increasing property values by 267 percent and employing thousands, the report says.
Columbus Blue Jackets President Mike Priest said that the team's current economic model has "significant disadvantages" and that it plans to work with public and private groups to find a solution.

Priest said the Blue Jackets, now in their ninth season, have built and maintained fan and corporate participation that has supported the team.
"Public partnership in arenas and stadiums has been a critical element to ensuring healthy, competitive sports franchises in markets across the country, including Cleveland and Cincinnati in Ohio, and our priority continues to be to secure long-term financial viability in this great city," he said.

Options in the report, produced by Stephen Buser, a finance professor from the business college at Ohio State University, include plans to continue the current private ownership, opt for alternate private ownership or public-private partnerships.
He says in the report the Blue Jackets are at a disadvantage to other NHL teams for reasons including that the team must pay $5 million a year to use the arena, incur costs of managing the arena year round and have no access to parking revenue or payments for arena naming rights.
The $150 million arena was financed by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. It is one of the few NHL facilities in the country that is privately owned -- largely because county voters wanted it that way. They have rejected arena tax issues three times between 1986 and 1997.
The team's owners unsuccessfully asked that the current state budget include a tax increase on beer, wine, liquor and cigarettes in Franklin County to raise $65 million to underwrite a county takeover of the arena.

The state Department of Development has been involved in discussions with Nationwide, the Blue Jackets, and city and county officials, department spokesman Bob Grevey said Thursday. While nothing specific is on the table, the state recognizes the importance of keeping the team in Columbus, he said.

Local voters have repeatedly rejected public financing of the center, and the tax increase was opposed by members of the beer and wine industry, including brewing giant Anheuser-Busch, which operates one of its 12 U.S. breweries in the city.
The Blue Jackets qualified for the first time last year for the NHL Western Conference playoffs, losing in the first round to the Detroit Red Wings.
The team came to town nine years ago through significant private funding -- much of it from the late John H. McConnell of steel finishing company Worthington Industries. McConnell died last year, leaving his son John P. McConnell at the helm of the business.

westofyou
11-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Looks like the BJ's had a bad home game tonight.

Brutus
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Looks like the BJ's had a bad home game tonight.

That was very ugly. Fortunately, after it got 2-0 five minutes into the game, I didn't bother checking up on it again. I had a feeling at that point it would be a long night.

westofyou
11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
That was very ugly. Fortunately, after it got 2-0 five minutes into the game, I didn't bother checking up on it again. I had a feeling at that point it would be a long night.

Yeah, I turned it on and at 4-0 I decided to take the time for other things, the wings have been offensive challenged this year, but this is a wing fan was a nice change.

Brutus
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I turned it on and at 4-0 I decided to take the time for other things, the wings have been offensive challenged this year, but this is a wing fan was a nice change.

It was the exact type of breakout game I feared Detroit would have sooner or later. They were due. I expect them to follow-up on it and go on a hot streak, although they've been so inconsistent so far, it's hard to say.

Columbus, interestingly enough, has not had a problem scoring this year, though they've not been as stingy with the defense. They've been solid shorthanded in killing penalties, but they're giving up goals at a little bit of a concerning rate.

westofyou
11-12-2009, 03:15 PM
It was the exact type of breakout game I feared Detroit would have sooner or later. They were due. I expect them to follow-up on it and go on a hot streak, although they've been so inconsistent so far, it's hard to say.

Columbus, interestingly enough, has not had a problem scoring this year, though they've not been as stingy with the defense. They've been solid shorthanded in killing penalties, but they're giving up goals at a little bit of a concerning rate.

Hitch was pretty peeved post game. earlier that day on NHL daily he said that he was wary of playing teh Wings because after you played them you usually found out what your weakness was. After the game he essentially said his team didn't check, and when you don't check you look slow, lose battles and eventually lose will.