PDA

View Full Version : Ball Park pet peeves

BigPoppa
10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I was looking at the Reds' FanFoto galleries for some of our game pictures, and I was reminded of one of the things that puzzles and aggravates me when I go to a ball game. :confused::nono:

Let's say the Reds are hosting the Padres.....I would expect to see many, many Reds jerseys, t-shirts, caps, etc. I would also reasonably expect to see a scattering of Padres apparel. WHAT GETS ME is the random guy I see walking around wearing say, a Marlins, jersey. WHY ?

It makes me want to stop this guy and say "Hey buddy, you do know the Marlins aren't playing here tonight, right ?"

Wear the home team jersey......wear the visitors' jersey, even.....but don't wear the jersey of a team that's not even playing that day or maybe playing a game on the West Coast !

That's my Ball Park pet peeve. What's yours ?

:feedback:

:redcap:

terminator
10-19-2009, 10:10 PM

1. The non-stop music and contests in between innings. I don't need constant entertainment and stimulation. I would rather have some quiet so I could talk to people in between innings. Oh, and all of the dopey sound effects when a foul ball is hit into the stands (*BOOM* *THUNK* *CRASH*). Same goes for player intro music.

2. Obnoxious (often drunk) fans. Especially those who curse in front of my kids.

3. The Reds losing more than winning for the last nine years.

Moosie52
10-20-2009, 06:57 AM
People wear what they have. Maybe the guy was from FLA.

bounty37h
10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
kids, and people who arent even there for the game, or the least bit interested in it, doing nothing but talking the whole time, getting up and down constantly, and not paying any attention to whats going on. It isnt a frickin social event, its a game.

roby
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
kids, and people who arent even there for the game, or the least bit interested in it, doing nothing but talking the whole time, getting up and down constantly, and not paying any attention to whats going on. It isnt a frickin social event, its a game.

Especially when they stand up and talk to each other between you and the field for a couple of innings!

Cant Touch This
10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
People wear what they have. Maybe the guy was from FLA.

Exactly. When I travel to another MLB city, I always check ahead of time to see if that team is in town. If so, I look for tickets on Craigslist and pack two Reds shirts.

This summer, I attended the Twins at Angels and wore my Cincinnati Reds ringer T shirt. Of course, other than the big CINCINNATI plastered across my chest, the shirt blended in rather inconspicuously with the Angels red and white.

Carolina Red
10-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Cubs fans.:thumbdown

Girevik
10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
I was looking at the Reds' FanFoto galleries for some of our game pictures, and I was reminded of one of the things that puzzles and aggravates me when I go to a ball game. :confused::nono:

Let's say the Reds are hosting the Padres.....I would expect to see many, many Reds jerseys, t-shirts, caps, etc. I would also reasonably expect to see a scattering of Padres apparel. WHAT GETS ME is the random guy I see walking around wearing say, a Marlins, jersey. WHY ?

It makes me want to stop this guy and say "Hey buddy, you do know the Marlins aren't playing here tonight, right ?"

Wear the home team jersey......wear the visitors' jersey, even.....but don't wear the jersey of a team that's not even playing that day or maybe playing a game on the West Coast !

:feedback:

:redcap:

You're probably the guy who wears the t-shirt of the band you're going to see in concernt that night too, aren't you? :)

will5979
10-21-2009, 09:05 AM
1. I liked the way the retired numbers were displayed at Riverfront better (on jerseys).

2. I agree about the constant entertainment. Just let the boys play the game. If I needed that type of entertainment I would go to Disney World.

3. Ballplayers music when they step up to bat. I liked the concept at first, then I realized our players are a bunch of pop culture hip hop music tools. Man this baseball, play something that jacks your adrenaline. Heavy Metal was invented for this reason!

4. Cubs fans 2003-present. Indians fans 97-99. Braves fans 92-2002.

5. The fact that the Reds play in a homerun hitters park and if your name isn't Adam Dunn no other Red can obviously hit 40+ hrs in a season. Hoping Joey Votto will prove me wrong.

6. Overall I just liked Riverfront Stadium better, but I believe that is due to the memories I cherish at that ballpark. Great American Ballpark is yet to field a great Reds team.

will5979
10-21-2009, 09:06 AM
:thumbup:
You're probably the guy who wears the t-shirt of the band you're going to see in concernt that night too, aren't you? :)

Whats wrong with that? When I saw Van Halen in 07, I sported my Van Halen (not Van Hagar) shirt and everybody was like damn I love your shirt. OF course if you go see your favorite band your going to wear the shirt...why wouldn't you?

Moosie52
10-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Cubs fans.:thumbdown

No arguing that.

SullyGator
10-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Not a big fan of when the team's winning and fans insist on bringing around The Wave 5 times. No problem with The Wave, but I want to see the action on the field :p:.

dthomas24
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I go in on season tickets with a bunch of teachers I work with. The seats are the first row right next to the Reds bullpen. I hate when people(especially grown men) are constantly coming down to where we are to ask for a ball! My son is 8 and has gotten about 10 or so the past few years from the guys in the pen, which is cool for the little kids, but grown men!?!? Drives me crazy!
Another is when a couple sitting behind us would yell "Drop it!" everytime the Reds would hit a flyball to centerfield. Not just once or twice, but everytime!

Ghosts of 1990
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I was perterbed about the diamond seats and club seats and the drop off in quality in these sections. I wrote in my blog about it in detail. If you were there in the early days of GABP, you know what I mean.

I also hate that "gates open at 5:35 and the ushers are standing there as enemies at the gates and wait til 5:38 to let excited fans in who showed up extra early to squeeze every last moment out of the ballpark!

texasdave
10-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Eardrum-splitting air horns. And the drunk fan who always seems to be in possession of same.

will5979
10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I also hate how if you are there early and there is hardly any fans in the park an usher will make you move away from the Reds dugout if you don't have tickets in that section.

Seig heil oh fuhrer ushers!!!

Trace's Daddy
10-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Drunk and obnoxious idiots cursing around children (not just my kids) is my number 1 pet peeve at a game.

Ghosts of 1990
10-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I also hate how if you are there early and there is hardly any fans in the park an usher will make you move away from the Reds dugout if you don't have tickets in that section.

Seig heil oh fuhrer ushers!!!

The Cincinnati ushers are nice in comparison to the ones in New York and Cleveland man. They run it like birkau in those parts.

reds77
10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I've always had great experiences with the younger, more friendly ushers in Cleveland. Cincinnati ushers are old, bitter, and expect a tip when saying "hello" to you.

I don't like how the retired numbers are displayed.

I hate the lame contests of t-shirts, etc.

I hate watching a below average to average team.

SullyGator
10-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I think the replays at GABP are often too soon after the play for people to notice. And many good plays go without a replay at all.

will5979
10-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Cincinnati ushers are old, bitter, and expect a tip when saying "hello" to you.

Speaking of tipping that was the one thing I despised about Las Vegas, everyone wanted a tip just for LOOKING at you!

What is about old people in baseball being bitter, i.e. Bob Feller?

Ghosts of 1990
10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't care about the minor pet peeves. I already really miss being at GABP.

otto
10-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I think the replays at GABP are often too soon after the play for people to notice. And many good plays go without a replay at all.

MLB rules, unfortunately.

SullyGator
10-23-2009, 11:16 PM
MLB rules, unfortunately.

:(

Thanks for letting me know. At least I'm not mad at the fine folks at GABP instead :).

nineworldseries
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM

OK, let's back up for a second. Your gripe is that a guy is wearing a baseball jersey at a baseball game. That doesn't make any sense at all. Also, why should you care what somebody else wears? It's not your business.

scuba17
10-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Can a Cubs fan chime in? I get annoyed with the crap I get from Reds fans for wearing my Cubs gear to games. Not every fan fits a stereotype. The constant 1908 jokes get a bit old after a while. You think I don't realize that the Cubs haven't won? I can't help being a Cubs fan, couldn't change it if I wanted to.

redsfanfalcon
10-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Can a Cubs fan chime in? I get annoyed with the crap I get from Reds fans for wearing my Cubs gear to games. Not every fan fits a stereotype. The constant 1908 jokes get a bit old after a while. You think I don't realize that the Cubs haven't won? I can't help being a Cubs fan, couldn't change it if I wanted to.

It is sad that guys like you have to take a ribbing for not fitting a stereotype. Let me say I did see a hilarious t-shirt this year at the game worn by a Cardinals fan. His shirt said CUBS...Completely Useless By September.

Chris Sabowned
10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=dthomas24;1985775] I hate when people(especially grown men) are constantly coming down to where we are to ask for a ball! My son is 8 and has gotten about 10 or so the past few years from the guys in the pen, which is cool for the little kids, but grown men!?!? Drives me crazy!
QUOTE]

In all seriousness. One of my peeves is people like you. Your son is 8 and has 10 balls or so. I'm 22 and have not gotten one ever. I hate it when the ball boys give balls to the same little kid over and over. Why should your spoiled son get his 11th ball before I get one.

DTCromer
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I hate sitting next to the guy who boos every close call against his home team.

bounty37h
10-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I go in on season tickets with a bunch of teachers I work with. The seats are the first row right next to the Reds bullpen. I hate when people(especially grown men) are constantly coming down to where we are to ask for a ball! My son is 8 and has gotten about 10 or so the past few years from the guys in the pen, which is cool for the little kids, but grown men!?!? Drives me crazy!
Another is when a couple sitting behind us would yell "Drop it!" everytime the Reds would hit a flyball to centerfield. Not just once or twice, but everytime!

DOn tknow, but maybe they are asking for thier kids, since they dont have your prime seats to get 10 or so already.

bounty37h
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I hate how hard it has become to access players (not even getting to how rude many of them are when you can get to them now). The old Durham Bulls stadium was set so players had to walk through the crowd to get to the field from locker room-now that may be overkill, but you can hardly even get their attention at the new one-too many easy escapes to avoid fans. I am curious to hear how the new ST site is for fan interaction-was decent in Plant City, and even Sarasota.

will5979
10-29-2009, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=dthomas24;1985775] I hate when people(especially grown men) are constantly coming down to where we are to ask for a ball! My son is 8 and has gotten about 10 or so the past few years from the guys in the pen, which is cool for the little kids, but grown men!?!? Drives me crazy!
QUOTE]

In all seriousness. One of my peeves is people like you. Your son is 8 and has 10 balls or so. I'm 22 and have not gotten one ever. I hate it when the ball boys give balls to the same little kid over and over. Why should your spoiled son get his 11th ball before I get one.

YEAH REALLY!!! MY wife gives me heck about this all the time. But I never got one either until I had kids of my own. Shouldn't these jerks realize that once a grown man enters a MLB park he becomes a kid all over again!