PDA

View Full Version : MJ's son will not wear addidas

Chip R
10-22-2009, 03:50 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-cnbcairjordan102109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Caveat Emperor
10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
You'd think Phil Knight would go to bat for the younger Jordan here and "arrange" to provide equipment for the University at the same rate as Addidas -- given the billions of dollars Mike made for his company.

Degenerate39
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
This reminds me of Friday Night Lights when Boobie Miles was ranting about his black nikes

Chip R
10-22-2009, 04:20 PM
You'd think Phil Knight would go to bat for the younger Jordan here and "arrange" to provide equipment for the University at the same rate as Addidas -- given the billions of dollars Mike made for his company.

I would think addidas has a contract with UCF.

dabvu2498
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Just like the Roger Harden situation back in the day at UK. Except Harden's dad wasn't an international superstar. But he did work for a competing shoe company. (Did I just age myself by bringing up Roger Harden?)

Caveat Emperor
10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I would think addidas has a contract with UCF.

They're a mid-major program. I don't think buying out a contract or paying whatever the penalty for breach is would be a problem here.

Chip R
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
They're a mid-major program. I don't think buying out a contract or paying whatever the penalty for breach is would be a problem here.

Maybe not but addidas could sue. You don't think they would love to have Mr. Nike's kid at an addidas school? Even if he doesn't wear their shoes, they would like to brag that L'il MJ goes to an addidas school.

cumberlandreds
10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Just like the Roger Harden situation back in the day at UK. Except Harden's dad wasn't an international superstar. But he did work for a competing shoe company. (Did I just age myself by bringing up Roger Harden?)

I remember that. Harden's dad worked for Converse and UK just got hooked up with Nike.
Marcus Jordan should relaize he's not Michael Jordan and just wear the shoes. It would be a small step get out of daddy's overbearing shadow.

Joseph
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM

Yes, I think you did. :)

paintmered
10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Why did MJ's son end up at an Adidas school at all?

kaldaniels
10-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Is this a classic case of a player putting himself before the team?

GIDP
10-23-2009, 12:10 AM
What a joke

dougdirt
10-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Why did MJ's son end up at an Adidas school at all?

Maybe he isn't all that good of a basketball player?

DTCromer
10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Looks like the a-hole gene has been passed down to the son.

Roy Tucker
10-23-2009, 09:17 AM
This http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/10/22/2106124.aspx says it was supposed to be OK. But still.... you're 19 and a fringe player at a mid-major. You just aren't all that good and worth the trouble.

I'd say "son, we'll release you from your scholarship and you can be free to play at a Nike school. Good luck". There is an I in Air Jordan.

Chip R
11-05-2009, 01:36 PM
adiddas has dropped UCF because of this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4623688

savafan
11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I wear Nikes only because I found that all other shoes hurt my feet, and Nikes are comfortable. If my company told me I had to wear a different shoe because they had a contract, I'd still wear Nikes.

Chip R
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I wear Nikes only because I found that all other shoes hurt my feet, and Nikes are comfortable. If my company told me I had to wear a different shoe because they had a contract, I'd still wear Nikes.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.

savafan
11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.

I'm sure as well, I just wanted to say something. :D

Roy Tucker
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Nike better pony up here or else I see lawyers getting rich.

Being the bitter old curmudgeon I am, I would have punted MJ's son off the team so fast his head would have spun. But apparently shoes>team.

Yachtzee
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Wow. I wonder how much money that's going to cost UCF this season. At least they weren't in the first year of the contract. I'm interest to see if Nike responds by working out a deal with UCF. They could probably put UCF over a barrel to sign a low ball deal, considering all shoe manufacturers now know MJ's kid won't wear anything but Nikes.

Chip R
11-05-2009, 01:54 PM
It'd be nice if MJ could pony up some money to make the difference.

cumberlandreds
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Nike better pony up here or else I see lawyers getting rich.

Being the bitter old curmudgeon I am, I would have punted MJ's son off the team so fast his head would have spun. But apparently shoes>team.

I'm the same way. If he refused to wear the shoes, I would have just shook his hand and wished him good luck in the rest of his life. No need in having a distraction so petty on the team.

GIDP
11-05-2009, 02:15 PM
It'd be nice if MJ could pony up some money to make the difference.

too bad he probably cant knowing how bad he is with money

GIDP
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
He was told he could wear them when he signed. Not his fault at all here.

BRM
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
From Gary Parrish's blog:

Surely, UCF administrators knew what would happen if Marcus Jordan wore Air Jordans Wednesday night.

They can't be that stupid.

Which is why I'd bet my best pair of Sambas that before long we'll learn UCF is on the verge of becoming a "Nike" school, because I can't imagine MJ letting his son's athletic department scramble after his son's allegiance to Nike cost UCF a sponsorship with adidas . I mean, do you really think MJ will let adidas get over on his son?

Absolutely not.

So yeah, UCF has lost its adidas contract.

That's too bad.

But the Knights will have Swooshes on their jerseys in no time, guaranteed.

Yachtzee
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
From Gary Parrish's blog:

Without knowing the terms of the contract, I would say that the other issue UCF could face is that Adidas could also sue UCF for breach of contract. If Nike signs UCF as one of their schools, Nike and MJ could be hit with a suit for interfering with a contract if it comes to light that MJ and or Nike may have had discussions with UCF to encourage them to allow MJ's son to wear Nike shoes knowing it would cause UCF to breach their contract with Adidas.

durl
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM
This just in: Marcus Jordan will not be wearing the official UCF uniform for their next basketball game. Looking at the tag of the uniform, Jordan decided that he couldn't wear a uniform that wasn't made by Hanes. Jordan's father, Basketball Hall of Famer Michael Jordan, is a spokesman for Hanes.

"I believe it's not right for me, as Michael Jordan's son, to wear anything that doesn't have a Hanes logo," Marcus Jordan said. "That brand is synonymous with my father, Michael Jordan, and it has meant so much to fans around the world. When people think of Hanes underwear, they think of my dad, Michael Jordan, and I want to honor that."

"So while my teammates will be wearing the standard uniform, I, the son of Michael Jordan, will be wearing a tagless, ultra-comfortable, gold-colored T-shirt along with a pair of black, fashionable boxer-briefs with comfort-fit waistband made from 100% breathable cotton similar to those that my father, Michael Jordan, enjoys wearing and have made him so beloved by people all over the world."

While many would think that those watching the game may be taken aback by seeing a player running up and down the court in his underwear, the younger Jordan dismisses the concern. "I don't believe people will simply see the son of Michael Jordan playing in high-value Hanes underwear. They'll see me for who I am: the son of Michael Jordan (I didn't mention that he's my dad, right?)"

Chip R
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Heh.