PDA

View Full Version : Deleting posts

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Is this considered an acceptable form of censorship by the RZ mods?

Larkin Fan
10-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Must you whine every time the mods do something you don't agree with? The mods have an impossible job of keeping this board enjoyable and they do a superior job at it.

jojo
10-29-2009, 08:30 AM
The mods have an impossible job of keeping this board enjoyable and they do a superior job at it.

Mods rock!

This is found at the bottom of every page at redszone:

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.
Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!

Razor Shines
10-29-2009, 10:03 AM

If I were you I would demand my registration fee and monthly dues back. Who are they to decide what is and is not allowed on this board? You are entitled to say what you want where ever you want.

jimbo
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM

You're in their house, they have every right to delete posts as they see fit.

redsfandan
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Must you whine every time the mods do something you don't agree with? The mods have an impossible job of keeping this board enjoyable and they do a superior job at it.
Superior to?

If I were you I would demand my registration fee and monthly dues back. Who are they to decide what is and is not allowed on this board? You are entitled to say what you want where ever you want.
:laugh:

Seriously though, while I don't know what *BaseClogger* is specifically referring to I do think it's a fair question. I wouldn't say that deletions shouldn't happen at all but I don't see why it can't be asked if there's a clear reason to delete every post that's deleted. I would think there'd be no harm in asking those type of questions. Instead people seem to want to bash *BaseClogger* for starting the thread. Doesn't make sense to me but anyway...

Eric_the_Red
10-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Superior to?

:laugh:

Seriously though, while I don't know what *BaseClogger* is specifically referring to I do think it's a fair question. I wouldn't say that deletions shouldn't happen at all but I don't see why it can't be asked if there's a clear reason to delete every post that's deleted. I would think there'd be no harm in asking those type of questions. Instead people seem to want to bash *BaseClogger* for starting the thread. Doesn't make sense to me but anyway...

No, there is no reason that posts are deleted. The mods go around deleting posts willy-nilly. In fact, this post will soon be deleted due to the obvious sexual connotations of the term "willy-nilly".

C'mon, let's use some common sense. If a thread is closed, or a post deleted, the mods have determined a reason. I would suspect those reasons would be obvious to anyone that read the forum guidelines.

jojo
10-29-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't have statistics to back this intuition but I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of posts are deleted by mods (without a request by the author) in a given year.

camisadelgolf
10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe this isn't the right place to bring it up, but to me, it seems like mods sometimes act like the kid who takes his ball and goes home, leaving all the other kids with nothing to do. I'd prefer a singular post be deleted as an alternative to locking an entire thread just because one bad apple can't post appropriately. Why do we have to time-and-time-again stop a good discussion as a result of one inappropriate post? I have no idea what *BC* is referencing, but I'm just guessing that deleting the post was a better decision than closing the thread.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, since it has caused so much controversy I'll clarify.

The Baumer made one of his typical, awesomely sarcastic posts in the Steve Phillips thread, and I along with another poster quoted it. The other poster said something to the effect that is was overly rude, while I gave it the :thumbup: and LOLed. I checked back much later in the night and it was deleted along with our posts that quoted it. Now, why would that post be deleted? It didn't break any of the rules at the bottom of the page. That's why I started the thread. Maybe all of the negative responses I have gotten in this thread should be deleted too? :dunno:

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't have statistics to back this intuition but I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of posts are deleted by mods (without a request by the author) in a given year.

I can think of several different instances over the last six months when posts from the Non-Sports forum has had posts deleted.

I hope I don't get exiled to Siberia for this thread! :scared:

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:26 PM
No, there is no reason that posts are deleted. The mods go around deleting posts willy-nilly. In fact, this post will soon be deleted due to the obvious sexual connotations of the term "willy-nilly".

C'mon, let's use some common sense. If a thread is closed, or a post deleted, the mods have determined a reason. I would suspect those reasons would be obvious to anyone that read the forum guidelines.

This is just as sarcastic as The Baumer's posts. Delete it!

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Is there something wrong with questioning authority?

redsfandan
10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe this isn't the right place to bring it up, but to me, it seems like mods sometimes act like the kid who takes his ball and goes home, leaving all the other kids with nothing to do. I'd prefer a singular post be deleted as an alternative to locking an entire thread just because one bad apple can't post appropriately. Why do we have to time-and-time-again stop a good discussion as a result of one inappropriate post? I have no idea what *BC* is referencing, but I'm just guessing that deleting the post was a better decision than closing the thread.
You read my mind. That's one instance where I'd have no problem with a deletion (instead of a thread closing).

I don't know what was in the post by Baumer but unless it was clearly in violation of the site I can't blame *BC* at all for asking the question. And I'm assuming that *BC* can read the rules. Whether any of this will matter to the powers that be is ... well.. I'm not getting my hopes up.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I think it is interesting that this thread has been open for nearly 24 hours and not one mod has responded to it yet...

KronoRed
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I think it is interesting that this thread has been open for nearly 24 hours and not one mod has responded to it yet...

I don't, the mods don't sit around this board all day and they aren't customer service reps ;)

westofyou
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't, the mods don't sit around this board all day and they aren't customer service reps ;)

Maybe they have real jobs, real problems and find all this whining about rights to be entry level BS?

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
That is accurate and the reason this thread was started is not even the business of the person who started it since his post was not deleted - except where he quoted the single post that was. If we get a question from the person whose posts were, I'd be more than happy to answer it, but considering some warnings that were given (and ignored), he should know why.

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 04:49 PM
I actually agree with this and would like to see us move in this direction.

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Seriously, get off your high horse - what do you think we owe you? Sorry that my real life job precluded me from responding to your oh so important post.

While we're counting, how about less than 12 hours, anyway?

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:50 PM
That is accurate and the reason this thread was started is not even the business of the person who started it since his post was not deleted - except where he quoted the single post that was. If we get a question from the person whose posts were, I'd be more than happy to answer it, but considering some warnings that were given (and ignored), he should know why.

Not true--I had a post deleted too...

redsfandan
10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I actually agree with this and would like to see us move in this direction.
Wow, that's progress.

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Not true--I had a post deleted too...
Could it be because you quoted and responded to the post that was deleted?

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Is there something wrong with questioning authority?
You know, I went to college where you presumably do, and I feel bad for you if this is how you choose to spend your free time (questioning "authority" in an overly rude manner on a freely run, private baseball board).

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM

Well, my post was deleted, wasn't it? So, there won't be an explanation as to why my post was deleted?

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Well, my post was deleted, wasn't it? So, there won't be an explanation as to why my post was deleted?
I just gave you one:

If that's not clear enough for you, I don't know what else to tell you.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 05:01 PM
You know, I went to college where you presumably do, and I feel bad for you if this is how you choose to spend your free time (questioning "authority" in an overly rude manner on a freely run, private baseball board).

I don't think I should respond to this personal attack because it will more than likely get me into trouble. Shame on you for breaking several of your own rules from the bottom of the page all in one post...

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't think I should respond to this personal attack because it will more than likely get me into trouble. Shame on you for breaking several of your own rules from the bottom of the page all in one post...
Don't worry - you're already not on my Christmas card list for your ridiculous posts (including attacks on the moderators) in this very thread.

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Shame on you for breaking several of your own rules from the bottom of the page all in one post...
Just for the record, there's no doubt that I did with the comment of mine that you quoted. Should I have been a bigger person that you apparently are? Yeah, I should have been, but in this instance, I wasn't, though you certainly had it coming with your comments in this thread.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Just for the record, there's no doubt that I did with the comment of mine that you quoted. Should I have been a bigger person that you apparently are? Yeah, I should have been, but in this instance, I wasn't, though you certainly had it coming with your comments in this thread.

:lol: The one about questioning authority? Seriously, just look at how this thread started. I just asked a simple question and people attacked me. Ridiculous...

Boss-Hog
10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
:lol: The one about questioning authority? Seriously, just look at how this thread started. I just asked a simple question and people attacked me. Ridiculous...
I've answered your question as to why your post was deleted. If the original poster wants to know why, even though he already should, I'll handle that if and when I hear it from him. You don't need to be his messenger.