PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hairston Jr Gets the Nod in Game 2

TheBigLebowski
10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Nickk Swisher benched in favor of him.

Very happy for JHJ. I think my opinion of his value was always higher than most around here. However, regardless of what you thought of him as a player, he did play hard and it's nice to see him rewarded.

Mutaman
10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Most people figured Swisher would get benched due to his big slump, but they figured Gardner or Hinske would replace him . JHJ has big numbers against Pedro and Girardi really goes by the book.

This sets up a bit of a dilema because I like JHJ but hate the Yankees.

Ghosts of 1990
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Good to see Jerry get his name in the WS history books. that was about all he did.

Oxblood
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
You gotta be pretty bad if you're getting benched for Hairston.

Mutaman
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
JHJ singled off Pedro and scored the insurance run. Good move by Girardi.

UPRedsFan
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Really happy to see Hairston in there. Last spring in Florida I saw him hang up his cell phone, stop his car and get out to pose for a picture with a wheel chair bound kid and sign autographs with a dozen other kids, while many of his teamates went driving on past out of the parking lot. Jerry's a class act and I'm glad to see him get his chance. He was productive for 2 years. Like Keppinger I'll root for him to do well unless he's playing the Reds.

mroby85
11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I loved Hairston, he played his butt off, and was entertaining to watch. He wasn't a guy I was happy to see go, but hope he does well in New York.

George Foster
11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
He got his world series hit, they can't take that away from him. Now that the Yanks are up 3-1, he will more than likely get a WS ring. All thanks to the Reds that gave him a chance. He said when he was packing his bags for NY, that he was home during spring training 08 and he thought his career was over and the Reds called. He was very thankful for what the Reds did for his career.

Mutaman
11-02-2009, 12:36 AM
What a miserable performance by Lidge tonight. When Felice hit the Home Run I'm thinking WOW, The Phillies can pull this out , can go up 3-2 with Lee tomorrow and then just have to win one game in New York to knock off the mighty Yankees. But with 2 outs and no one on, Lidge just fell apart (Thanks in no small part to Johnny Damon).

Say what you will about the Yankees' payroll (with plenty of justification) but this entire post season has come down to closers: Nathan, Fuentes, Broxton and now Lidge, have been terrible, while Rivera has been....... Rivera.

bounty37h
11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
You gotta be pretty bad if you're getting benched for Hairston.

You gotta not know much to make comments like this.

Oxblood
11-02-2009, 03:36 PM
You gotta not know much to make comments like this.

Right, becuase JHJ is a perennial all-star.

Mutaman
11-02-2009, 07:05 PM
with a career .259 batting average and less homeruns in his career than Albert Pujols in one season, yeah he's great!

Actually the only stat that Girardi cared about was JHJ's career against Pedro: 10 hits in 27 at bats. And after game 2, it's now 11 hits in 30 at bats.

Mutaman
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Girardi is setting himself up for a lot of grief. All day long New York radio talkers were complaining about his decision to start Burnett on 3 days rest and on the road instead of pitching Gaudin tonight and then having a rested Burnett avaiable Wednesday. Plus Burnett is much better at home. Now if the Yankees lose, he has to come back with Pettit on short rest.

The first inning seems to indicate the callers were right.

bounty37h
11-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Right, becuase JHJ is a perennial all-star.

and because any MLB player really "sucks"

Red in Atl
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
JHJ is a true professional of the game of baseball. He's a third generation player. And he knows and understands the game. If he gets a WS Ring, it's because he's worked hard, he knows what he is, and he does what he has to to compete.

I say hat's off to JHJ, and all you haters can hate all your want. But it won't take away his ring.

Mutaman
11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
There is a good chance that Girardi will start JHJ again against Pedro in game 6.

I think Joe really blew it last night by not saving Burnett for New York, but Philly's pitching is so bad right now that the Yankees can still outscore the Phillies.

Isn't it wierd that the Reds probably had a better bullpen then any team in the postseason, except maybe for the Dodgers. And look what happened to their closer.

TheBigLebowski
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, looks like JHJ is going to get a ring. And I couldn't be happier for him.

Redsfan320
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
As much as I dislike the Yanks, I really do hope JHJ can do well in the rest of the series. It seems that NY has been a good change for him. I haven't really looked at his stats much, but he seems to be doing very well this postseason, and he seems to be doing well consistently, unlike Swisher.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 12:03 PM
WELL, JHJ got his ring. Congrats to him :thumbup:, he played great baseball, but no congrats to the rest of the yanks. BOOO :barf:
P.S.: Except Jeter. He gets congrats :thumbup:, too.