PDA

View Full Version : Laura Ricketts Is First Openly Gay MLB Owner

robmadden1
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
The Chicago Cubs have reached a baseball milestone and it has nothing to do with their century-plus World Series drought.

With the team's purchase by the Ricketts Family, the Cubs are the first Major League Baseball team to have an openly gay owner.

Among the new owners is Laura Ricketts, an out lesbian who is also on the board of the gay rights organization Lambda Legal, the Windy City Times reports.

Ricketts, who is a member of the Cubs board of directors, came out to her family in her 30's.

"I think for a long time I wasn't really out to myself growing up in Omaha, Neb., to a Catholic conservative family," Ricketts said. "It took me a while to come out to myself and not long after that I came out to them. I think that it really couldn't of been a better experience. They were all immediately supportive. ... I have been really really fortunate in that regard."

The Ricketts family bought the Cubs and Wrigley Field from the Tribune Co. for $845 million in a deal that was finalized Oct. 27.

The league owners unanimously approved the Cubs sale to the Ricketts family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/02/laura-ricketts-is-first-o_n_342172.html

will5979
11-03-2009, 08:06 AM
And? Why is the media making a big deal outta this? His personal life is his business and it shouldn't be a milestone that MLB has its first openly gay owner. Dumb publicity IMO.

texasdave
11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Also, he is a she.

Rockermann
11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Also, he is a she.

Yup. Most lesbians are. :)

will5979
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Also, he is a she.

hmmmm, obviously I didn't read that post except the headline! oh well

GIDP
11-04-2009, 08:53 AM
I would post but how do you post on this topic in todays world with out being bashed.

mroby85
11-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I think they ask for being bashed when they're flamboyant about it. If it's not a big issue like everyone says, I don't see why they have to write big stories about it. They don't feel it's necessary to add that an owner is straight when an article is writte about him/her. If they have the right to be openly gay, then why shouldn't people have the right to not approve of that decision?

GIDP
11-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I think they ask for being bashed when they're flamboyant about it. If it's not a big issue like everyone says, I don't see why they have to write big stories about it. They don't feel it's necessary to add that an owner is straight when an article is writte about him/her. If they have the right to be openly gay, then why shouldn't people have the right to not approve of that decision?

its not even about the approval or not for me. Its just why does one side claim equality then bring it up to boast. If we should view it as equal then why does it matter at all? get what im saying?

roby
11-04-2009, 02:11 PM
But, the question remains, is she a he or is he a she? :confused:

bounty37h
11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
^ i thought the real question was "is she a hot chick lesbian, or a butcher" ?

will5979
11-06-2009, 08:53 AM
But, the question remains, is she a he or is he a she? :confused:
Or is it a heshe shehe it?