PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Transaction Report

savafan
11-05-2009, 03:25 PM
The Mets have informed Putz that they are declining his option.

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Chad Tracy's 7 million dollar option declined by the Diamondbacks per ESPN.

Also Bobby Abreu contract extended by 2 years in Anaheim.

White Sox trading 2B Chris Getz and 3B Josh Fields to KC for 2B Mark Teahen.

blumj
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
The Red Sox just traded for Jeremy Hermida.

Maybe someone should change the thread title to something more general?

savafan
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
The Dodgers have declined Jon Garland's $10 million option.

AmarilloRed
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Matt Belisle and Randy Flores were signed to 1 year deals by Colorado.

Guacarock
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Two minor transactions but both involving Reds and freeing up two spots on the 40-man roster.

11/04/09 Cincinnati Reds outrighted Kevin Barker to Louisville Bats.
11/04/09 3B Danny Richar filed for free agency

nate
11-06-2009, 10:06 AM
MLBTR is keeping a "constantly" updated FA list here (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html).

lollipopcurve
11-06-2009, 10:10 AM
11/04/09 3B Danny Richar filed for free agency

I'm fine with this. I liked that he was a LH bat that could fill in around the infield, but his bat and glove never impressed me.

HokieRed
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm fine with this. I liked that he was a LH bat that could fill in around the infield, but his bat and glove never impressed me.

I don't think we'll miss him.

Slyder
11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh no, there goes the man who was suppose to replace Juan Castro as Mr. Glove :(. Oh well.

Wouldnt mind to see us going after Garland and Putz if were looking to move Cordero for salary relief.

Guacarock
11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Two more openings on the 40-man roster, as C. Trent is tweeting:

The #Reds tinkering with the 40-man: Corky Miller, Darnell McDonald outrighted to Louisville. Not a surprise

savafan
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
The ChiSox have bought out Jermaine Dye

Tom Servo
11-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Darnell McDonald outrighted to Louisville.
:party: :party: :party:

lollipopcurve
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
The #Reds tinkering with the 40-man: Corky Miller, Darnell McDonald outrighted to Louisville. Not a surprise

Gotta use the nether regions of the 40 man for youth. But I hope the Corkscrew lands in Louisville.

Tom Servo
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
D'Backs picked up Webb's option.

Homer Bailey
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Shocking-Lee, the Phillies picked up Cliff Lee's option.

Degenerate39
11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Shocking-Lee, the Phillies picked up Cliff Lee's option.

How much was the option for?

TheNext44
11-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Peripherals be damned, I'd love Stormy back at the right price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/brewers-decline-option-on-david-weathers.html

The Brewers declined their $3.7MM club option on reliever David Weathers, according to MLB.com's Adam McCalvy (via Twitter). They'll pay a $400K buyout instead. While Weathers projects as a Type B free agent, an arbitration offer is highly unlikely. The Brewers acquired Weathers from the Reds in August for cash.

Weathers, 40, posted a 3.92 ERA in 62 innings this year. His peripherals were pretty bad - 5.4 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, 1.5 HR/9.

redsmetz
11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
How much was the option for?

According to Cot's, it's $9M

TheNext44
11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/phillies-wont-pursue-brett-myers.html

Pitcher Brett Myers was told today by Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. that the team will not pursue a new contract with him, according to Jim Salisbury of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Myers told Salisbury he's open to starting or relieving with his new club.

Myers, 29, posted a 4.84 ERA in 70.6 innings this year. The Phillies' Opening Day starter missed time with hip surgery and a back strain. He could be an interesting buy-low opportunity for many teams.

Really a much better option for 5th starter than what the Reds currently have. Big question is how much?

Gallen5862
11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Danny Richar, Kevin Barker Become Free Agents

By Tim Dierkes [November 6 at 3:24pm CST]
Danny Richar and Kevin Barker elected free agency after being outrighted by the Reds, according to C. Trent Rosecrans (via Twitter).* The Reds also outrighted pitcher Justin Lehr, but signed him for 2010.Richar, 26, hit .290/.330/.438 in 181 Triple A plate appearances this year.* The second baseman had labrum surgery in July.* He came to the Reds from the White*Sox*last July with Nick Masset in the Ken Griffey Jr. trade.* Barker, a 34-year-old first baseman, hit .285/.376/.551 with 22 home runs in 417 Triple A plate appearances this year.Full Story*|* Comments (1)*|*Categories: Cincinnati Reds | Danny Richar

Guacarock
11-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Lehr outrighted to minors but remaining under contract with the Reds for 2010. Looks like we'll have at least three contenders for the final spot in the rotation -- Maloney, Owings and Lehr. Wonder if Kip Wells will join the party or seek greener pastures elsewhere.

Mario-Rijo
11-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I figure this is as good as any place for intriguing off-season rumors as well. Sure makes for some nice potential deals for us.

11/08:

Baseball sources said the Diamondbacks are talking about a trade that would send (catcher) Chris Snyder to the Toronto Blue Jays for first baseman Lyle Overbay.

Arizona Republic

Details: Overbay makes 7 million in the last year of his deal, Snyder has 3 more years on his deal totaling 11.25 mill.

Analysis: Toronto looking for a younger more defensive capable Catcher (who can still hit a little), Zona for future salary relief. With Montero's emergence they can afford to part with Snyder and his big dollars. Overbay would be a nice veteran stopgap solution while Zona waits on Brandon Allen to emerge from AAA.

The latest: Toronto seems to have moved on from this deal due to back injuries to Chris Snyder.

It will be an upset if Mark Mulder doesn't sign with the Brewers. His rehab coach was Rick Peterson, the new Milwaukee pitching coach. Mulder, 32, was beset with shoulder problems the past two years but now appears to be fine and would likely agree to an incentive-laden deal. In the estimation of one scout, the Brewers need four pitchers.

Boston Globe

As I thought Mulder/Peterson could be a package deal and Milwaukee could do worse as they are gonna need to find a cheap arm or 2 with some upside or potential as a reclamation project.

The one thing the Red Sox must do to bridge the gap between them and the World Series champion Yankees? Acquire Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. New Padres general manager Jed Hoyer and his former boss, Theo Epstein, have likely already brought this subject up once or twice. Starting tomorrow, they'll be together again at the GM meetings in Chicago. Gonzalez would love to play in Boston. This is not a case of a guy who wants to stay in San Diego because the weather is nice. Gonzalez isn't pleased with losing. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Mariners, and Marlins were all involved in some level of talks on Gonzalez at the trading deadline.

Boston Globe

I know we've heard this before but seriously who wouldn't want Adrian especially with one of the best contracts in all of baseball with 2 years left (the latter a club option) at 4.75 mill in '10 and 5.5 in '11. His current value is sky high. I wonder if Votto would move to LF for him for a couple of seasons? In all seriousness I can't see how the Dodgers or Red Sox don't end up with this guy for a massive haul of kids this offseason, that is unless San Diego wants to draw a crowd next season.

11/09:

This week's general managers' meetings will serve as the ceremonial kickoff to the Milton Bradley trade rumor season, and anyone seen talking to Cubs GM Jim Hendry will probably be accused of having some kind of interest in the controversial outfielder. Hendry won't discuss his offseason game plan, but obviously moving Bradley is at the top of his wish list. Some feel Hendry will have to get rid of Bradley before making any other major moves because how much he has to spend depends on how much of Bradley's $21 million contract the Cubs have to eat in any deal.

Chicago Tribune

Uggh, good luck with that Cub nation.

What are the Phillies' other third-base options? Ruben Amaro Jr. is traveling to Chicago for the annual general managers' meetings, which begin tomorrow evening at the O'Hare Hilton. He could pursue a trade for a third base, or he can look to the free-agent market, where Chone Figgins, Adrian Beltre, Mark DeRosa, Troy Glaus, Joe Crede and Melvin Mora are seeking new contracts. One other possibility to keep in mind: Placido Polanco is a free agent and may be a good fit for the Phillies' lineup. But Polanco hasn't played third base since 2005, spending the past four seasons at second base for the Tigers.

Camden Courier-Post

Please no Chone Figgins in Philly, as if they don't already have enough speed at the top of and throughout that lineup. I could see Beltre landing there (at a cheaper rate) and having a major impact in that ballpark. Glaus may be their fallback option and another big impact there.

The next step in the Royals' offseason makeover is to acquire a catcher before Dec. 12 and therefore provide an alternative to offering a contract to arbitration-eligible John Buck. One rumor to watch: A deal sending second baseman Alberto Callaspo to the Los Angeles Dodgers for catcher A.J. Ellis, a 28-year-old rookie who currently projects as a backup to Russell Martin following the anticipated free-agent departure of veteran Brad Ausmus.

Kansas City Star

Hanigan V 2.0? Ellis as a trade target makes some sense although his defense best be stout because his offense is definitely Hanigan-esque, but IMO one could do much worse than get on base and make good contact. I'd still prefer John Baker of the Marlins due to his handedness and overall game but Ellis could be a nice cheap alternative who if he can be had for a MI with no special qualities then I think we could send them a couple of them. I wonder though does this mean the Dodgers are looking to not bring the O-Dog back?

Just some things to chew on.

mth123
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
If I were the Reds I'd give Snyder's back a checking and offer Willy for him. AZ gets out from under $6.5 Million in 2011 and the 2012 buy-out, the Reds get their second catcher for only an incremental 750K in 2010. That Money that the Reds are thinking of wasting on Hernandez could be spent elsewhere. The Reds take on money in 2011, but by then Lincoln, Rhodes, Arroyo, Harang and Rolen will be off the books and in most cases can be backfilled with a cheaper player. They can probably afford it. Its probably the only way to move Willy and since the rumor is a two year deal in the works for Ramon, the Reds could probably use Snyder in 2011 instead and he wouldn't be any more overpaid than Ramon is likely to be.

Mario-Rijo
11-10-2009, 03:46 AM
If I were the Reds I'd give Snyder's back a checking and offer Willy for him. AZ gets out from under $6.5 Million in 2011 and the 2012 buy-out, the Reds get their second catcher for only an incremental 750K in 2010. That Money that the Reds are thinking of wasting on Hernandez could be spent elsewhere. The Reds take on money in 2011, but by then Lincoln, Rhodes, Arroyo, Harang and Rolen will be off the books and in most cases can be backfilled with a cheaper player. They can probably afford it. Its probably the only way to move Willy and since the rumor is a two year deal in the works for Ramon, the Reds could probably use Snyder in 2011 instead and he wouldn't be any more overpaid than Ramon is likely to be.

good call, sounds interesting.

savafan
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20091111/SPORTS02/91111019/1320/Reports-Tigers-may-trade-Jackson-Granderson

The Detroit Tigers might be looking to shed some of their key players, if rumors coming out of the general mangers' meetings in Chicago are true.

First, foxsports.com reported that the Tigers are looking to deal right-handed starter Edwin Jackson. Then the New York Post reported that they're offering centerfielder Curtis Granderson for the right deal.

Here is a portion of the Post's story:

In a cost-cutting frame of mind, the Tigers have let teams now that Curtis Granderson could be had for the right package, an NL executive told The Post.

Granderson would be attractive to many teams, with the Yankees near the top of the list. ... Brian Cashman met with Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski at the now-concluded GM Meetings, but it is not believed the two did any more than discuss needs and available players. However, the two have a good relationship and have done significant trades before, going back to when Dombrowski was in Florida and obtained Mike Lowell from the Yanks to the more recent Gary Sheffield deal and the swap of Kyle Farnsworth for Ivan Rodriguez.

The Yankees have a touted center field prospect in Austin Jackson, who could be the centerpiece for a deal, though Detroit would have a market outside of just The Bronx.

Meanwhile, Dombrowski would not confirm foxsports.com's report about Jackson. Here is a portion of that story:

It's not clear if club president/general manager Dave Dombrowski is engaged in serious talks with other clubs about Jackson. There is no indication that a deal is close. But it's telling that the team is considering trade scenarios involving Jackson at all.

The Dodgers, who originally drafted Jackson, are intrigued by the possibility of reacquiring him, one major-league source said. But it's not clear if there is a fit between the teams, the source added. ...

Dombrowski declined to provide specifics about his discussions with other GMs. "We're listening to a lot of different things," he said. "People are talking to us about different stuff. I think we're open-minded, based on the fact that we didn't win a championship."

Jackson was an All-Star pitcher this year and finished the season with a 13-9 mark and a 3.62 ERA. But he faded a bit in the last two months, and Tigers manager Jim Leyland chose Rick Porcello over Jackson to start the Tigers-Twins playoff game that decided the AL Central championship.

Fox cited payroll concerns as the reason for a potential trade. The Tigers’ 2009 payroll was $119 million, trailing only the Yankees ($202 million), Mets ($136 million), Cubs ($135 million) and Red Sox ($123 million).

Next year, the Tigers would owe $64 million to five players: Magglio Ordoņez, Carlos Guillen, Jeremy Bonderman, Dontrelle Willis and Nate Robertson, with sizable raises due to Verlander and Jackson, further prompting the trade speculation.

Jackson made $2.2 million in 2009.

Tigers catcher Gerald Laird, whose 2010 salary would exceed $3 million, also has been mentioned in trade rumors.