PDA

View Full Version : Hermida to the Red Sox

DannyB
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-marlins-hermida-110509,0,3412551.story

Marlins trade outfielder Jeremy Hermida

Florida Marlins By Juan C. Rodriguez

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Jeremy Hermida had no illusions about his future with the Florida Marlins. That didn't deaden the shock of getting traded.

Thursday, the Marlins sent Hermida to the Boston Red Sox for a pair of left-handers, including South Floridian Hunter Jones. A product of Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens and Florida State, Jones made his major league debut last season and is now a Marlin along with Class-A swingman Jose Alvarez.

"It came out of nowhere," said Hermida, the Marlins' first round pick (11th overall) in 2002. "I figured it was coming, but you're never quite ready for that day."

One of the club's more polarizing figures since a splashy September 2005 debut, Hermida never fully endeared himself to the fan base and steadily lost the faith of the front office. Hitting a grand slam in his first major league at-bat elevated already high expectations to stratospheric levels.

Though Hermida shined for stretches, injuries stalled his progress. Even when healthy the second-time arbitration-eligible Hermida struggled to sustain offensive consistency.

"Our expectations were high for Jeremy," President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said. "He had his moments where he was highly productive, like the second half of '07. But given his talent level I think the expectation was for more. Hopefully he'll realize [his potential] elsewhere."

In 516 games with the Marlins, Hermida batted .265 with a .769 on-base plus slugging percentage. Just once in the left-handed hitting Hermida's four full seasons here did he eclipse 500 at-bats. He logged one plate appearance over the final 29 games last season due to an oblique strain.

"There were definitely some steep expectations," Hermida said. "I welcome those. Unfortunately, I didn't meet them all. Maybe I would have done a couple of things differently, but I don't look back with any regrets. I played hard every day."

Minus Hermida, the Marlins are looking at a starting outfield of Cody Ross in right, Cameron Maybin in center and possibly Chris Coghlan in left if they don't shift him back to the infield. The Marlins do have some organizational outfield depth with guys like Brett Carroll, Michael Stanton, Bryan Petersen, John Raynor, and Scott Cousins and perhaps Logan Morrison, a first baseman who can play left.

Stanton, the organization's top prospect, isn't ready for the majors. The others mentioned should all contend for big league jobs next spring.

The Marlins could get some immediate help from Jones, who in 11 relief appearances (12 2/3 innings) for the Red Sox last season posted a 9.24 ERA with seven walks and nine strikeouts. In five minor league seasons, Jones can boast a 3.09 ERA with 104 walks and 328 strikeouts in 338 innings.

The Marlins are expected to promote minor league infield coordinator Josue Espada and Double-A pitching coach Reid Cornelius to the major league staff. They will hire an outfield/base running coach from outside the organization.