PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Schools Have Oldest Public School Rivalry

redsmetz
11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting story from this a.m.'s Enquirer regarding the research of a retired high school teacher that shows that two Cincinnati high schools (Hughes & Woodward) may hold the record for the oldest public school rivalry. Two Connecticut schools, one private, the other public, have the oldest rivalry, dating back to 1875. As the article notes, if this is borne out, it will shatter Canton & Massillon's record by sixteen years. Here's an excerpt from the article. I couldn't get it show me the entire article to copy it, so check out the link for more interesting details.

Which is how he recently discovered - much to his surprise and delight (and totally unknown to the National High School Sports Record Book) - that Cincinnati has the oldest public high school football rivalry in the country (Hughes vs. Woodward, 1878).

"It figures that it would be after our book ("Schoolboy Legends") had already gone to the printer," deadpanned John Baskin, who co-authored that book with former Cincinnati Post sports columnist Lonnie Wheeler, and with considerable research from "O.B."

If O'Bryant's discovery winds up being certified - "I don't know why it wouldn't," O'Bryant said - it will come as a bitter pill to two famous rivals in Northern Ohio. "Massillon vs. Canton" is listed in the National High School Sports Record Book as having the longest running prep rivalry in Ohio, dating to 1894.

But according to articles O'Bryant found in the local newspapers of Nov. 30, 1878, and Dec. 1, 1878, Woodward vs. Hughes has Massillon vs. Canton beat by 16 years.

"And I've found articles that Woodward and Hughes played one another at least 10 times before Massillon played Canton," O'Bryant said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20091103/SPT030101/911030397/

savafan
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I always thought Piqua vs. Troy was Ohio's oldest rivalry

redsmetz
11-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I always thought Piqua vs. Troy was Ohio's oldest rivalry

According to Troy's website, it only dates back to 1899. I wonder if any of Paintsmered's ancestors played in that game.

http://www.troy.k12.oh.us/~ths/business/Bowling/student_life/Football_PerrinC/index.html

Chip R
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
According to Troy's website, it only dates back to 1899. I wonder if any of Paintsmered's ancestors played in that game.

http://www.troy.k12.oh.us/~ths/business/Bowling/student_life/Football_PerrinC/index.html

I think RFS was a spectator at one of the Woodward-Hughes games back then. :D

redsmetz
11-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I think this is a cool story. I love history and it's great that, possibly, two of Cincinnati's public schools could hold this title.

Cyclone792
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I think RFS was a spectator at one of the Woodward-Hughes games back then. :D

RFS was more than a spectator at those games. In fact, in one of the games he was honored during halftime ceremony honoring Civil War vets.

;)

Chip R
11-06-2009, 02:43 PM
RFS was more than a spectator at those games. In fact, in one of the games he was honored during halftime ceremony honoring Revolutionary War vets.

;)

I fixed that for you.

SunDeck
11-07-2009, 08:52 AM
RFS was more than a spectator at those games. In fact, in one of the games he was honored during halftime ceremony honoring French and Indian War vets.

I fixed that for you.

I fixed that for you.