PDA

View Full Version : Full contact soccer

redhawkfish
11-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Geez!! Check this out!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4628040&categoryid=2378529

RBA
11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Hopefully Al Davis will sign her for the Raiders. They need a wake up call to their former glory.

SunDeck
11-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Playing defense in soccer is best done dirty.
I used to pull guys' pants down and keep my knee pressed up against their outer thigh in order to deliver an instant charlie horse, and when I played forward guys would constantly punch me in the kidneys when marking on my back. A certain amount of that stuff occurs off the ball all the time and it's really part of the game. For the most part it's meant to be more of a distraction and to send a message that you are there and that you are ready to knock someone around to win a ball, but what that NM player was doing is clearly over the line.
Why there was no red card is a mystery.

Hoosier Red
11-07-2009, 11:31 AM
The most blatant one, the pulling of hair down to the ground probably wasn't seen by the refs. My guess is the yellow card at the end was the way of saying "we've seen what you've done all day, now knock it off." It would have been better delivered had it come early.

WMR
11-07-2009, 11:34 AM
The most blatant one, the pulling of hair down to the ground probably wasn't seen by the refs. My guess is the yellow card at the end was the way of saying "we've seen what you've done all day, now knock it off." It would have been better delivered had it come early.

If they had really seen what she had been up to I've gotta think they would've given her a red.

Slyder
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM

There is no doubt some of that stuff would have resulted in immediate reds no ifs ands or buts. Violent Foul Conduct, Serious Foul Play, Tackle from Behind Take your pick they all are straight Reds. I cannot believe she didnt get a red at some point.

RBA
11-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Everywhere there will be dirty players who get away with fouls until it becomes blatant. It's up to the refs/umps to be ever vigilant and be fair/non-bias to both teams and the fans.

dougdirt
11-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I used to pull guys' pants down and keep my knee pressed up against their outer thigh in order to deliver an instant charlie horse, and when I played forward guys would constantly punch me in the kidneys when marking on my back. A certain amount of that stuff occurs off the ball all the time and it's really part of the game. For the most part it's meant to be more of a distraction and to send a message that you are there and that you are ready to knock someone around to win a ball, but what that NM player was doing is clearly over the line.
I never played soccer, but I am telling you right now.... if someone did that stuff to me that you are talking about, I would have turned around and punched them in the face a few times.

Yachtzee
11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I never played soccer, but I am telling you right now.... if someone did that stuff to me that you are talking about, I would have turned around and punched them in the face a few times.

It's a lot like basketball, where you're likely to get some nice elbows thrown at you underneath the basket. The thing is, you have to keep your cool. You want the ref to see it and give them a red. However, if you retaliate, you're risking being the one caught (it's always the second person who gets caught). In other sports, an ejection just means you are out of the game and someone off the bench has to play in your spot. In soccer, that red means your team plays a man down for the rest of the game.

Yachtzee
11-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Looks like New Mexico has suspended her.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=695183&sec=ncaa&cc=5901

Matt700wlw
11-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Soccer needs ratings...this is a good way to get them :)

NJReds
11-07-2009, 07:26 PM
The refs should be suspended, too. The only yellow card she got was for dissent.

Betterread
11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
How a person competes says a lot about their character. I played soccer my whole life and how you played the game either built or reduced your integrity in your opponent's estimation. Clearly, integrity doesn't mean that much to you. I wonder why you would admit to such reprehensible tactics - catharsis may not be good for the image you cultivate,

Yachtzee
11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
How a person competes says a lot about their character. I played soccer my whole life and how you played the game either built or reduced your integrity in your opponent's estimation. Clearly, integrity doesn't mean that much to you. I wonder why you would admit to such reprehensible tactics - catharsis may not be good for the image you cultivate,

I've never really been a fan of the defenders who take cheap shots myself. Of course I usually played on the right wing toward the end of my organized soccer playing days and was on the receiving end of the abuse when it happened. I'd agree that I had more respect for defenders who worked hard and used their body to knock you off the ball in a tough, but fair, way. Throwing elbows, coming in studs up, or other tactics meant to hurt or intimidate someone isn't the way to go. Of course in my experience, people who play that way think that's the way you win and thrive on goading opponents into retaliating. The only way to deal with it is to ignore it and do your best to beat the guy to the ball. You do your team no good by retaliating and drawing a red.

Yachtzee
11-07-2009, 11:27 PM
In other soccer news, a youth league recently saw a dust up reminiscent of the incident between Zinedine Zidane and Marco Materrazzi in the 'o6 (minus the headbutt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIKovE7AkoA&feature=player_embedded

WMR
11-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I played GK and forward and I always prided myself on playing the game in an extremely physical manner. I played the game clean, however.

Few things were as enjoyable as annihilating a forward on a 1 v 1 matchup or shouldering a defender to get to a ball.

westofyou
11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I used to think it was hard for one to make a character judgement based on one post on RZ.

I no longer do.

thatcoolguy_22
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Few things were as enjoyable as annihilating a forward on a 1 v 1 matchup or shouldering a defender to get to a ball.

Lol I've played forward from rec to club teams and you jerks are all the same :)

Off the ball is extremely physical. Hooking, shoulders, pulling, and tight elbows/punches to the body are always the norm. I once had my nose split down the middle like a rugby player from a defender who threw an elbow like he was Randy Coteur, off ball no ref saw it. What the NM player did was ridiculous though