PDA

View Full Version : Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

Pages : 1 [2]

traderumor
12-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I think Palmer and Chad should get their fair share of snaps. Lets assume that NE wins and the Bengals have little to gain from winning. Why not trot Palmer out there, use several different formations, and let him see how the defense reacts? The Jets have to win that game, they need to roll out all the stops in order to win. The Bengals could use that to their advantage on Sunday night. See what the D does different formations. See what Sanchez does when blitz is show, cover 2 is shown, press coverage is shown, etc.Study film for those answers. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt ;)

But seriously, do those things with the backups. If the Jets have to pull out all the stops, they will be in their sets regardless of personnel on the field.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
The Jets are probably better defensively than the Ravens, but not offensively.

The Ravens are better offensively I just happen to like the Jets skill players better and their O-Line. Of course the Ravens have the better QB right now which pulls it all together better. I'm just thinking on any given sunday anything could happen and I'd feel more comfortable facing the Ravens offense, sorta.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 01:10 PM
If the Jets make it then the Bengals would be the #4 seed regardless of what NE does. As the #4 seed they'd play the #5 seed, not the #6 seed. So if your scenario plays out and the Jets are #5 then they'd come to Cincinnati in two weeks, not the #6 seed Balt. I want any team other than an AFC North team. I don't want to have to beat them three times. I look for the Bengals not to play their starters for 4 qtrs next week, thus a Jets win. Look for a lot of JT Sullivan, Jerome Simpson and Andre Smith

Yeah thanks for the correction, I got it backwards for some reason probably some dislexia rearing it's ugly head.

bucksfan2
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Study film for those answers. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt ;)

But seriously, do those things with the backups. If the Jets have to pull out all the stops, they will be in their sets regardless of personnel on the field.

You play the game differently if Carson is in as opposed to JT. The defensive backs are able to play different coverage if Chad isn't in the game. I think that is where the difference is. Film is nice, but when you have the opportunity to control the situation you have to take full advantage of that.

traderumor
12-28-2009, 01:20 PM
You play the game differently if Carson is in as opposed to JT. The defensive backs are able to play different coverage if Chad isn't in the game. I think that is where the difference is. Film is nice, but when you have the opportunity to control the situation you have to take full advantage of that.They don't have control of the situation, such as the pass rush. It was the first offensive play of the game in 2005 when Palmer's knee was blown up. I don't see the reward warranting the risk.

If you want to get innovative, have CP sit in the press box and see the Jets D from there in anticipation of playing them the following week.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Something that strikes me about this year's playoffs is that there does not appear to be that team that is on a roll entering the playoffs that has a mediocre record in either conference, which is highly unusual. Could make for a predictable postseason.

Pittsburgh could be that team if they make it, getting Polamalu back would cure alot of their ills.

traderumor
12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Pittsburgh could be that team if they make it, getting Polamalu back would cure alot of their ills.Pittsburgh, the team, the myth, the legend. ;)

Redsfaithful
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Pittsburgh won't make it because the Bengals are going to rest their starters.

I honestly hope everything falls the Steelers way and they need a Bengals win to get in, followed by the Bengals sitting the first string. This has been a pretty awesome year already, kicking Pittsburgh in the nuts like that at the end would just be the cherry on top.

BRM
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Pittsburgh could be that team if they make it, getting Polamalu back would cure alot of their ills.

Houston could be as well. Neither are likely to get in though.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Houston could be as well. Neither are likely to get in though.

Agreed, and it's probably a good thing.

BRM
12-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Agreed, and it's probably a good thing.

Why is it a good thing that neither makes it? Just curious.

cincrazy
12-28-2009, 03:15 PM

Pittsburgh doesn't scare me. I'd prefer to not play them, but they have no running game, and they can't protect Big Ben. Even when they do, he still holds onto the ball too long.

The defense is fine, but it's not dominating, and it has major problems in the 2nd half. I like our chances no matter who our opponent is in the 1st round. Of course, the way we've been playing, we're more than capable of getting beat. But I think we pull it out once more in ugly fashion.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Why is it a good thing that neither makes it? Just curious.

We barely beat Pitt both times and both times they were without Troy, he makes a huge difference both vs. the run and pass. Houston has a dangerous offense although less so than when we last played them. Offensive teams (heavy passing units) are a tougher matchup for us right now IMO.

BRM
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
We barely beat Pitt both times and both times they were without Troy, he makes a huge difference both vs. the run and pass. Houston has a dangerous offense although less so than when we last played them. Offensive teams (heavy passing units) are a tougher matchup for us right now IMO.

Ah, you meant "good thing for the Bengals". Now it makes sense. :)

KoryMac5
12-28-2009, 03:23 PM
New York media has been speculating all day the the Bengals will rest most of their starters. I tend to agree with them and speculate Palmer and the gang will play at most a half of vanilla football. I would definitely rest guys on D, Peko, Crocker etc... Plus I might think about resting Dhani Jones and Rivers as our linebackers are pretty thin with the loss of Rey.

I know the offense is having issues I just don't think playing one meaningless game against the Jets will fix things. Plus if you end up playing them in the playoffs what you fixed the week before they will be ready for. Lewis has a tough decision ahead of him.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Pittsburgh doesn't scare me. I'd prefer to not play them, but they have no running game, and they can't protect Big Ben. Even when they do, he still holds onto the ball too long.

The defense is fine, but it's not dominating, and it has major problems in the 2nd half. I like our chances no matter who our opponent is in the 1st round. Of course, the way we've been playing, we're more than capable of getting beat. But I think we pull it out once more in ugly fashion.

Pittsburgh has a good running game, the offensive coordinator is playing Bratkowski ball these days though. With Troy back and a return to balance offensively and they would be odds on favorites against us IMO. Of course we could still improve our passing game but that it hasn't yet says it's not likely to change at this point this season.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Ah, you meant "good thing for the Bengals". Now it makes sense. :)

Right although Pittsburgh could still beat any of the contenders for the AFC IMO. They'd have to recommit to the run which is fairly unlikely but with the weather they could get forced into it.

BRM
12-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Right although Pittsburgh could still beat any of the contenders for the AFC IMO. They'd have to recommit to the run which is fairly unlikely but with the weather they could get forced into it.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, no doubt.

So, who would you guys prefer to play in the 1st round? Which team do you think the Bengals match up the best with? On the flip side, who would scare you the most that first weekend?

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Anything can happen in the playoffs, no doubt.

So, who would you guys prefer to play in the 1st round? Which team do you think the Bengals match up the best with? On the flip side, who would scare you the most that first weekend?

For me the best match ups for us (of all potential WC teams) would be:

Baltimore
NYJ
Denver
Dolphins
Jags

The worst:
Pitt
Houston

bucksfan2
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
For me the best match ups for us (of all potential WC teams) would be:

Baltimore
NYJ
Denver
Dolphins
Jags

The worst:
Pitt
Houston

I think Flacco is an over rated QB and their WR corps does not possess any home run threats. The D is showing their age but Ray Rice scares me. The Bengals pretty much dominated the Ravens in the two games they played them, but TO's kept the Ravens close.

Don't buy the Jets and Sanchez playing a cold Jan game yet. He still has too much Cali in him.

Denver rode the miracle win in Cincy to a hot start. They have been bad down the stretch and Kyle Orton has turned into the Kyle Orton we all knew.

Dolphins are an interesting team but are lacking in a few areas. Without Ronnie Brown and the wildcat the Dolphins aren't as feared to me. They are well coached which makes up for some of their shortcomings.

Jags seem to be a well coached team that always overachieves. I just don't see them as much of a threat this year. Gerrard isn't reliable enough as a passer to really scare the opponent.

Pitt and Houston do scare me the most. Pitt is a tough team, even tougher to beat 3 times in a season. Big Ben has the ability to extend plays and is tough to tackle. He is a very good playoff team.

Houston scared me the first time they played them. Andre Johnson is electric and almost impossible to cover. Schaub is a very good QB who has come into his own this season. Defense is meh but their offense can light up the score board. Remind me somewhat of the Bengals of a few years ago.

Redsfan320
12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
The teams that scare me the most are the Ravens and Dolphis.
The Ravens because they're pretty solid on O and D.
The Dolphins cause they seem like a strong team and seem to always have a trick up their sleeve.

Sea Ray
12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I think Palmer and Chad should get their fair share of snaps. Lets assume that NE wins and the Bengals have little to gain from winning. Why not trot Palmer out there, use several different formations, and let him see how the defense reacts? The Jets have to win that game, they need to roll out all the stops in order to win. The Bengals could use that to their advantage on Sunday night. See what the D does different formations. See what Sanchez does when blitz is show, cover 2 is shown, press coverage is shown, etc.

I disagree with your thinking. It's not what Sanchez does on Sunday vs those formations that matter. If you show him different looks now, he has a full week to study them and get coached up on how to attack them. Let's not give him that advantage. Use vanilla defenses this week and save the complex stuff for the playoffs

wolfboy
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/1024559-100.stm

I thought this was pretty comical. Altough they're wrapping up an incredibly disappointing season, the Steelers are still as smug and arrogant as you'd expect.

Yachtzee
12-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm not a fan of resting the starters in any case. Sitting some of the guys with nagging injuries is fine, but the playoffs are all about momentum and the Bengals really need to build some up after their recent play. The Colts often rest their starters and often end up getting bounced early from the playoffs. As far as injuries go, they're a part of the game and you have to account for those regardless. If teams want to protect their players from injury, go to a 14 game season.

blumj
12-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I think it's different for 1 and 2 seeds because they get WC week off anyway, so they can get rusty because it turns into too much time off. I think playing just some of the game when your playoff game is only a week away probably isn't bad.

Revering4Blue
12-30-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/1024559-100.stm

I thought this was pretty comical. Altough they're wrapping up an incredibly disappointing season, the Steelers are still as smug and arrogant as you'd expect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4779769

PITTSBURGH -- Sit Cedric Benson. Play Cedric Benson. Sit Tom Brady. Play Tom Brady.

How much the Bengals' Benson plays against the Jets and the Patriots' Brady plays against the Texans on Sunday might determine not only the winners of those games, but whether the Pittsburgh Steelers make the playoffs.

Regardless, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn't about to lobby another coach to play his best players, even if Pittsburgh's season may be riding on any such decision.

To Tomlin, the Steelers (8-7) put themselves in a position where they need a lot of assistance to make the AFC playoffs, so they shouldn't go begging for help.

"I could care less how the Bengals approach what it is they do," Tomlin said Tuesday.

To make the playoffs, the Steelers must defeat the Dolphins (7-8) in Miami on Sunday and hope multiple games fall in their favor. Among the scenarios are the AFC East champion Patriots (10-5) beating Houston (8-7) and the AFC North champion Bengals (10-5) beating the Jets (8-7).

However, the Patriots and Bengals may not play their regulars very long, if at all, because they are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome. Also, both teams will play the following weekend, one of them only six days after Sunday's regular season-ending game.

The Steelers' chances of returning to the playoffs for the fifth time in six seasons were lessened when the Colts (14-1) rested their starters after taking a five-point lead Sunday, and the Jets came back to win 29-15. That put the Jets in position to make the playoffs if they win on Sunday, just as the Ravens (8-7) can if they win at Oakland.

Despite the Colts' much-debated decision that not risking injury to a key player was more important than going for a 16-0 season, Tomlin doesn't believe in telling another team what to do with its personnel.

"I really have no opinion," Tomlin said. "I trust that those coaches are going to do what they feel is best for their football teams. I'm going to do what's best for mine. Very rarely do I pass judgment on the decision-making of other coaches in regard to other teams, because I don't have a pulse on their group."

Tomlin understands the delicate balance between playing regulars enough to keep them sharp but not enough to get hurt. Last season, Ben Roethlisberger sustained a concussion after Tomlin chose to play him in a meaningless season-ending game against Cleveland.

Luckily for the Steelers, they didn't play their first playoff game until two weeks later. That gave the quarterback time to heal, and he went on to lead them to a Super Bowl title. But if the Steelers had played as soon as six days after Roethlisberger was hurt, he might not have been ready.

Tomlin also doesn't believe it's necessary to argue for maintaining the integrity of the game. He feels any competitive team wants to win no matter who is playing.

In 2004, the Steelers rested most of their regulars in a game the Bills needed to win to make the playoffs, yet Pittsburgh won 29-24 at Buffalo despite playing mostly backups. Not only did the Steelers keep their starters healthy, they found a future 1,000-yard rusher on their bench in Willie Parker, who had his first 100-yard game that day.

"I think we're all competitors and we play to win," Tomlin said. "Every time we come out of that tunnel, that's the intent. The ramifications, in regard to other teams, is irrelevant to me. It's more about the people that I come out of the tunnel with and our commitment to this organization, our fans, our community. So we come out to win."

If the Steelers wanted to avoid relying on outside teams for help -- teams that might not feel the same urgency to win this weekend as they do -- they could have prevented it by winning more games earlier in the season.

The Steelers defeated the Chargers (12-3), Vikings (11-4), Broncos (8-7) and Ravens (8-7) but lost to the Chiefs (3-12), Browns (4-11), Raiders (5-10) and Bears (6-9).

"This our bed. We're going to lay in it," Tomlin said. "We created this situation. What we are going to do is control what we can control, and that's our preparation of play for the game. We're not going to cry over spilled milk. If there's any level of disappointment in terms of how this thing unfolds, it's going to be on us."

macro
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
He's calling them out and attempting to embarrass them into playing their starters four quarters and going all out to win the game, no matter what the cost. I may be wrong, but I doubt that fear of the almighty Pittsburgh Stealers will be the motive if they do the smart thing and sit some players.

He needs to take a cue from his head coach and admit that they are lying in the bed that they made. Pointing accusatory fingers at other teams for failing to enable you only makes you look petty, LaMarr.

redsfandan
12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
He's calling them out and attempting to embarrass them into playing their starters four quarters and going all out to win the game, no matter what the cost. I may be wrong, but I doubt that fear of the almighty Pittsburgh Stealers will be the motive if they do the smart thing and sit some players.

He needs to take a cue from his head coach and admit that they are lying in the bed that they made. Pointing accusatory fingers at other teams for failing to enable you only makes you look petty, LaMarr.
I'll agree with that. Don't blame other teams or the umpires or whoever. Whether your team makes the playoffs or not is (most of time) up to that team. (Although I'd give it to them if there were alot of injuries)

Matt700wlw
12-30-2009, 11:16 PM
My bad, guys, on posting a new thread about the article. I didn't check. Good call!

Matt700wlw
12-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Here's an idea, Steelers. Don't put yourself in this situation.

Of all the franchises, you'd think they'd know that...

The Bengals and Patriots will do what they feel is best for THEIR team, and their situations, not the Steelers situation.

If things work out where one of them have to face the Steelers, then so be it.

yab1112
12-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Yahoo sports has a really cool playoff scenario generator (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=yahooranker).

The Bengals have a few, albeit unlikely, scenarios in which they'd get the 3 seed.

From the Elias Sports Bureau:

If both the Bengals and Pats lose, the Bengals need to finish as the third seed: Cleveland beats Jacksonville, Pittsburgh beats Miami, and Indianapolis beats Buffalo. Plus, one of these must happen: Baltimore beats Oakland, or Green Bay beats Arizona, or Kansas City beats Denver, or New Orleans beats Carolina, or Seattle beats Tennessee.

If they both win then the Bengals need the following to finish third: Cleveland beats Jacksonville and Pittsburgh beats Miami. Then it gets tough.

If those two happen and Indianapolis beats Buffalo, any three of the following must happen: Baltimore beats Oakland, Green Bay beats Arizona, Kansas City beats Denver, New Orleans beats Carolina, Seattle beats Tennessee.

But if Buffalo beats Indy, all of the following must happen for the Bengals to be No. 3: Baltimore beats Oakland, Green Bay beats Arizona, Kansas City beats Denver, New Orleans beats Carolina, Seattle beats Tennessee.

I live in NY so the trash talking has commenced. :whodey:

wolfboy
12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Here's an idea, Steelers. Don't put yourself in this situation.

Of all the franchises, you'd think they'd know that...

The Bengals and Patriots will do what they feel is best for THEIR team, and their situations, not the Steelers situation.

If things work out where one of them have to face the Steelers, then so be it.

The Steelers are a different team because of injuries. C'mon Matt - other teams in the NFL just don't have to deal with this stuff! :D

blumj
12-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Whatever the Bengals do, IMO the most important thing is not to injure Sanchez. Because the Jets would scare me plenty if they put someone less prone to trying to do too much and making big mistakes in at QB.

traderumor
12-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Dear LaMarr,

If the Bengals do "lay down" in Sunday's game vs. the Jets, it really has nothing to do with facing a team that they have already beaten twice. While I'm sure you sense the uneasiness of fans about a game against the mighty Squealers, they do not reflect the attitude of the players.

If the Bengals do elect to bench their key players, it is because they need to be ready to face the likes of Indianapolis or San Diego at their place. It really has nothing to do with playing a team that they not only have beaten twice this season, but who also has a loss to the Chiefs and the Raiders, the latter at home no less, on their resume. Were it not for Brett Favre fumblerooskis and the lucky finish against Green Bay, the mighty Squealers would be staring at the possibility of a 10 loss season.

As your coach has wisely pointed out, the Bengals and Patriots have earned the right to not be sniffling to reporters about someone else controlling thier destiny. Maybe you should focus on the remaining game you have in Miami, since winning that game is the only thing that gives you even a chance of sniffing the playoffs.

Sincerely,

TR

RedsBaron
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM

Yep. As an old Raiders fan this story has a deja vu aspect for me. Way back in 1976 the Steelers needed the Raiders to defeat the Bengals late in the season or the Steelers would be eliminated from the postseason. The Steelers started complaining that the Raiders, who had already locked up their division and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, would intentionally lose the game to Cincinnati so as to guarantee that Oakland would not have to face the mighty Steelers in the playoffs.
Oakland defeated the Bengals 35-20.
A few weeks later Oakland crushed the Steelers in the AFC title game 24-7. In response the Steelers whined about Franco Harris and Rocky Bierer being injured.
The Steelers have been a model NFL franchise since the 1970s---but they rank with the Yankees as my least favorite pro team.

Redsfan320
12-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Something just struck me here. Why does the 3rd seed play the 6th seed, and the 4th seed play the 5th seed. Wouldn't it be more logical (and much more fair to the 6th seed) to have 3rd play 4th and have 5th play 6th?

blumj
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
It's supposed to be positive reinforcement to finish higher.

BuckeyeRed27
12-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Something just struck me here. Why does the 3rd seed play the 6th seed, and the 4th seed play the 5th seed. Wouldn't it be more logical (and much more fair to the 6th seed) to have 3rd play 4th and have 5th play 6th?

Wouldn't it be unfair to make the 3rd seed play a better team in the first round?

6-4-3
12-31-2009, 02:46 PM

They aren't trying to make it fair. The lower seeds are rewarded for having a better record (or winning their division) by playing the higher seed.

Tony Cloninger
12-31-2009, 03:23 PM
No one talks about the bengal injuries at all.

Some Steeler posters in the sites that breed the biggest...most myopic idiots that post for teams that win or are popular no mater what (like the Cowboys or Yankees)....say that IF the Steelers had been healthy they would have beaten them in PITT.

I recall the bengals...lost in total...several good players on defense that would combine to make the Troy loss for PITT.... negligible.
You lose your best DE in Odom (IMO..all around best DE)...your starter at S in Williams and then Crocker and Peko. Good grief that is not good enough for some of these Steeler fans.

I do not remember turning real stupid and myopic when the Reds where the BRM...and thinking they had no flaws or could never do anything wrong.
Of course...if you do that....you are not called a fan by said myopic fans.

Javy Pornstache
12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
That's what kills me, all anyone talks about is Polamalu's injury, as if Pittsburgh is the only team with injuries. Sure, Troy's an extremely key player, but other teams play with many key injuries, including the Bengals who've played multi-game chunks of the season without Odom, Crocker, Peko, Rivers, Henry (RIP), Benson, Scott, and playing all year without the top two tight ends on their depth chart. EVERYONE HAS INJURIES.

Hoosier Red
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
That's what kills me, all anyone talks about is Polamalu's injury, as if Pittsburgh is the only team with injuries. Sure, Troy's an extremely key player, but other teams play with many key injuries, including the Bengals who've played multi-game chunks of the season without Odom, Crocker, Peko, Rivers, Henry (RIP), Benson, Scott, and playing all year without the top two tight ends on their depth chart. EVERYONE HAS INJURIES.

What's especially galling is hearing it from Steelers fans who like to make it sound as if the Palmer injury in '05 really didn't make any difference.

Redsfan320
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the comments on the seeding match-ups. I'm still thinking about all this, but I get the basic idea: It's not a fairness system, but a reward system for doing better in the regular season.

Happy New Year,

BuckeyeRed27
12-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the comments on the seeding match-ups. I'm still thinking about all this, but I get the basic idea: It's not a fairness system, but a reward system for doing better in the regular season.

Happy New Year,

Right. Otherwise next week the Bengals would have to go to New England while the Jets would get a home game against the Ravens (all hypothetically of course).

TeamSelig
01-01-2010, 03:09 AM
We beat the Steelers twice. It's esay to talk crap when you're not even going to make the playoffs on your own. Happy enw year I"m hammered

TeamSelig
01-01-2010, 03:10 AM
[ps I think we'll make the playoffs

Eric_the_Red
01-01-2010, 08:33 AM
How great would it be if the Steelers lost and all of Woodley's talk was irrelevant?

traderumor
01-01-2010, 09:19 AM
We beat the Steelers twice. It's esay to talk crap when you're not even going to make the playoffs on your own. Happy enw year I"m hammeredI could tell by the slurred typos :p:

Newport Red
01-01-2010, 09:53 AM

He could complain for the next decade and I wouldn't get tired listening to it.

macro
01-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Happy New Year,

I'm confused by your comment, 320. What's unfair about having 3 play 6 and 4 play 5? Tournaments have been played this way for decades. :confused:

Redsfan320
01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm confused by your comment, 320. What's unfair about having 3 play 6 and 4 play 5? Tournaments have been played this way for decades.

What seemed unfair is having the best of the teams (3rd seed) play the worst of the teams (6th seed). It seemed like that's unfair to the 6th seed.

macro
01-01-2010, 04:32 PM
What seemed unfair is having the best of the teams (3rd seed) play the worst of the teams (6th seed). It seemed like that's unfair to the 6th seed.

Oh, it's definitely not in the 6th seed's favor, that's for sure, just as it's not in the best interest of those 16 seeds to have to play the 1 seeds in the NCAA basketball tournament.

Speaking of all this, and getting way off-topic, Kentucky high school basketball used to have a blind draw for postseason district tournaments, for which every team qualified. One year when I was in high school, the top two teams in the 18-team region were from the same 4-team district, and ended up playing one another (on one of those teams' home court, no less) in the first round of the district, all because of the luck of that blind draw. Talk about unfair...!

They now seed district tournaments based on district records.

WVRed
01-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh, it's definitely not in the 6th seed's favor, that's for sure, just as it's not in the best interest of those 16 seeds to have to play the 1 seeds in the NCAA basketball tournament.

Speaking of all this, and getting way off-topic, Kentucky high school basketball used to have a blind draw for postseason district tournaments, for which every team qualified. One year when I was in high school, the top two teams in the 18-team region were from the same 4-team district, and ended up playing one another (on one of those teams' home court, no less) in the first round of the district, all because of the luck of that blind draw. Talk about unfair...!

They now seed district tournaments based on district records.

Keeping way off topic, but I lived outside of Ashland and for years the 64th district was the only one in the 16th region that had seeding based on records. I always thought it was to guarantee Boyd County and Ashland the opportunity to play in Morehead. That was of course until OJ Mayo showed up at Rose Hill.

Sea Ray
01-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm confused by your comment, 320. What's unfair about having 3 play 6 and 4 play 5? Tournaments have been played this way for decades. :confused:

Ditto here.

It's obvious "320" has never studied an NCAA bracket or played in a tennis tournament. These are basic seeding principles. The idea is to set it up so your biggest game, a 1 vs 2, happens in the championship. You don't want such a game to happen in the first round.

Redsfan320
01-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm starting to understand now. It finally clicked.

Sorry about the confusion,

Hoosier Red
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Ditto here.

It's obvious "320" has never studied an NCAA bracket or played in a tennis tournament. These are basic seeding principles. The idea is to set it up so your biggest game, a 1 vs 2, happens in the championship. You don't want such a game to happen in the first round.

Actually tennis tournaments are a blind draw outside of the seeded players.

Sea Ray
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Actually tennis tournaments are a blind draw outside of the seeded players.

The fact that tennis tournaments include unseeded players has nothing to do with seeding principles which is what my point was all about. In a tennis tournament, the draw is set up where a 16th seed will play a 1 seed; a 15 vs a 2 and so on.

Hoosier Red
01-04-2010, 11:16 AM
The fact that tennis tournaments include unseeded players has nothing to do with seeding principles which is what my point was all about. In a tennis tournament, the draw is set up where a 16th seed will play a 1 seed; a 15 vs a 2 and so on.

Fair enough.