PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cut LJ

Mario-Rijo
11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow, I didn't really expect him to be cut. I suppose the Raiders might have some interest beyond that who might have further interest? Pats? Good lord don't let him go to the Patriots!!

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81411012&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Chiefs release Larry Johnson after one-week suspension ends
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Larry Johnson's record-breaking career as a Kansas City running back is over.

The Chiefs confirmed Monday that they had run out of patience with his off-the-field problems and released Johnson the day he was due to come back from his second suspension in a year.

Johnson, who turns 30 on Nov. 19, was just 75 yards away from breaking Priest Holmes' team rushing record.

"A part of him is excited and a part of him is very regretful," said Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer. "There's a lot of feelings going on right now. It's analogous to breaking up with a girlfriend. Maybe you saw it coming, but it still hurts when it happens."

The Chiefs still owe Johnson $2.275 million the remaining portion of his $4.55 million salary this season. Johnson's contract runs through 2012, but none of it, besides the $2.275 million still owed to him, is guaranteed.

A No. 1 draft choice out of Penn State in 2003, Johnson was one of the best running backs in the NFL in 2005 and 2006, rushing for more than 1,700 yards in each of those Pro Bowl seasons.

But often angry and sullen, he was dogged by controversy and frequently at odds with coaches and fans. On Oct. 25, in what turned out to be his final episode with the Chiefs, he posted on his Twitter account several insults to fans, questioned coach Todd Haley's credentials and used a gay slur.

He reportedly repeated the slur the next day to reporters and was suspended for two weeks. At Schaffer's urging, the Chiefs cut the financial penalty in half, saving him about $315,000.

Johnson was the subject of an online petition last week calling on the Chiefs not to let him break the team rushing record. He was never a fan favorite and his apology for the online comments came almost exactly one year after issuing a similar apology for alleged incidents involving women in Kansas City night clubs.

In 2008, then-coach Herm Edwards benched him for three straight games for violating team rules. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him a fourth game for violating the league's player conduct policy.

Johnson was later sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace. One woman accused him of throwing a drink on her and another said he had pushed her head at a Kansas City night spot.

A judge suspended the sentence and said he would remove the guilty plea from the public record if Johnson has no further legal problems during probation.

On the field, Johnson has not run with the quickness and strength that characterized his Pro Bowl years since setting an NFL record with 416 rushing attempts in 2006. He set the team single-season rushing record that season with 1,789 yards.

This year, in 132 carries behind inconsistent blocking, he averaged only 2.7 yards per carry. He ends his Chiefs career with 5,996 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns. He also caught 151 passes for 1,369 yards and six TDs.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

RichRed
11-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Since Portis suffered a concussion yesterday, I fully expect the Redskins to jump in with both feet to the tune of a 6-year, $55 million offer for LJ.

Only half kidding.

camisadelgolf
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Hypothetically, if Cedric Benson became injured at some point in the next few weeks, would you be willing to give LJ a shot? I love Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard, but I don't think they have what it takes to keep the running game at 4.0+ yards per carry.

Mario-Rijo
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Hypothetically, if Cedric Benson became injured at some point in the next few weeks, would you be willing to give LJ a shot? I love Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard, but I don't think they have what it takes to keep the running game at 4.0+ yards per carry.

He'll probably not be available, there are enough teams in need of his talent that I'd be surprised if he even clears waivers. I just hope he doesn't end up in Pittsburgh which is where he'd like to go apparently according to ESPN.

I'm thinking Big Blue could take a chance on him as Jacobs has fallen off quick and they are in need of a big back to make that offense go. Jacobs seemed to have hurt his knee in their game Sunday also, don't know how serious.

NYG
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
NE
Denver
Seattle
Philly
Skins

I could see any of those teams pick him up.

DTCromer
11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I remember when Larry Johnson ran for the softest 2,000 yards in CFB history. Didn't the guy average like 30 yards a game against "top" opponents and then absolutely tore up inferior competition?

The Operator
11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Correct

Date Opponent Att Yds TD
Aug. 31 UCF 0 0 0
Sep. 14 Nebraska 19 123 2
Sep. 21 Louisiana Tech 17 147 2
Sep. 28 Iowa 18 68 1
Oct. 05 Wisconsin 14 111 1
Oct. 12 Michigan 17 78 1
Oct. 19 Northwestern 23 257 2
Oct. 26 Ohio St. 16 66 1
Nov. 02 Illinois 31 279 1
Nov. 09 Virginia 31 188 1
Nov. 16 Indiana 28 327 4
Nov. 23 Michigan St. 19 279 4
Jan. 01 Auburn 20 72 0
TOTALS 271 2087 20

Mario-Rijo
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Since Portis suffered a concussion yesterday, I fully expect the Redskins to jump in with both feet to the tune of a 6-year, $55 million offer for LJ.

Only half kidding.

LOL!! :thumbup:

Redskins coach Jim Zorn did not rule out the possibility of the Redskins pursuing Larry Johnson. He said the team has had internal discussions this morning and will continue to talk about the troubled running back. Zorn said the team will likely sign a running back if Clinton Portis can't play -- he specifically mention Quinton Ganther, whom the team released last Friday. As for Johnson, "I don't know," Zorn said. "I need to have a longer conversation than I've had to make a decision," Zorn said.

Washington Post

RichRed
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
You can set your watch by the Skins' bad decisions.

It's cute that Zorn thinks he has a say in it though. He's the lamest of ducks.

Boston Red
11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Washington's season's over. What's the point of picking up LJ for them?

RichRed
11-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Well sure, if you want to be all logical about it.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
The same line that gave LJ his 2.5 YPC is giving Charles 5+.

I think he's done, but watch him do well somewhere.

Johnson should send Willie Roaf half his salary.

Hoosier Red
11-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Correct

Date Opponent Att Yds TD

Nov. 16 Indiana 28 327 4

TOTALS

Ugh, that one left skid marks.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Ugh, that one left skid marks.

Those stat lines are why I hate college football.

If you can do that to a team, why are you playing?

Seriously- it's like playing Madden on rookie level and going around and telling people you went undefeated.

BearcatShane
11-11-2009, 04:07 AM

The same could of been said about the Bengals picking up Benson last year.

redsfandan
11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
He'll probably not be available, there are enough teams in need of his talent that I'd be surprised if he even clears waivers. ...
Surprise surprise:

Source: No team claimed Johnson

No team claimed running back Larry Johnson off waivers, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, which means Johnson now is free to sign with any team and the Kansas City Chiefs must pay him the balance of the $2.1 million left on his contract this season.

The Chiefs released Johnson on Monday, the day he was due back from his second suspension in the past 12 months. Johnson was suspended for posting a gay slur on his Twitter account and questioning the competence of head coach Todd Haley.

The 29-year-old was also fined for his actions. Last week, an online fan petition was started asking the Chiefs not to let Johnson become the team's all-time leading rusher -- a record he's just 75 yards shy of.

Behind a poor offensive line this year, Johnson has averaged a paltry 2.7 yards for the Chiefs (1-7) and appeared not to have the quickness and punishing power that enabled him to rush for more than 1,700 yards in Pro Bowl seasons in 2005 and '06.

Johnson winds up his Chiefs career with 5,996 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns. He also caught 151 passes for 1,369 yards and six TDs.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

will5979
11-11-2009, 01:27 PM
amazing how RBs careers are considered over when they near the age of 30

Chip R
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
amazing how RBs careers are considered over when they near the age of 30

With a few exceptions, it's true.

Playadlc
11-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Larry Johnson to Cincinnati?

Mike Brown isn't ready to crown his team, and could be adding to it
Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2009 7:45 PM ET

As the Cincinnati Bengals continue to make their way through a schedule that has yielded a 6-2 record to date, the guy who signs the checks is taking a cautious approach to the team's fortunes.

"We aren't like Indianapolis that just tears people apart week after week or New England," Brown told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com. "We've put together a pretty good season to this point, but for the most part, it's been very close games. . . . It's too early for congratulations. We're at the midpoint of this season. Who knows what the second half will bring? We're just fighting and scrapping and we'll see where it goes."

Brown's team is "fighting and scrapping" with a roster consisting of more than a few players who have had trouble in the past, and who have become quality players when given a second (or, as in the case of receiver Chris Henry, fifth or sixth) chance. Brown himself admits that roughly half his team's starters have "come off the scrapheap somewhere or at least had to overcome something that was difficult."

It's no surprise, then, that we're catching wind of rumors that the Bengals are on the short list to add veteran tailback Larry Johnson. Though Cedric Benson is thriving, Johnson's presence would bolster a depth chart currently consisting of Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/14/mike-brown-isnt-ready-to-crown-his-team-and-could-be-adding-to-it/

TeamSelig
11-15-2009, 01:51 AM
I'd give him a shot, why not? We could use some RB depth.

camisadelgolf
11-15-2009, 05:02 AM
If Benson becomes injured, the Bengals' season might be over. Depth is a good idea, but I'm not sure LJ is someone I'd want on my roster.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Go get him

GIDP
11-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I dont doubt we are seriously looking at him.

traderumor
11-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Despite Bernard Scott holding serve today, an incredible game for the rookie, I would certainly check the temp of the water with LJ. He could be a key addition to an already good team and the new scenery could perhaps keep his attitude and off field shenanigans in check in the short term.

As we Bengals fans should all know from experience, screwed up programs breed a lot of contempt and often bring out the worst in people. And if we learned anything from Ced Benson, this could be an instant replay. The biggest risk is that he remains an attitude problem, the upside is a talented back behind a very good Oline.

Redsfaithful
11-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I generally am loathe to talk about chemistry, but this is a scenario where I think it really does come into play. The Bengals have a good thing going, and I think Scott/Leonard is more than capable if Benson is out for a week or two. LJ doesn't make sense from where I sit.

hebroncougar
11-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I generally am loathe to talk about chemistry, but this is a scenario where I think it really does come into play. The Bengals have a good thing going, and I think Scott/Leonard is more than capable if Benson is out for a week or two. LJ doesn't make sense from where I sit.

With a hip injury to Benson.........I get LJ, now. And make it clear to him, you gripe, even once.........you're gone. Have your veterans in the locker room patrol him, for once, I think the Bengals are capable of doing this.

The Operator
11-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I'd go after him, but as above, I'd make it clear to him that if it even appears that he might be hurting the team's chemistry, he's out the door.

It's kind of crazy to think that for once, The Bengals have a chance to be the team that gives a talented but troubled guy the chance to thrive under new scenery, and not the bad team that's parting ways with that guy.

It's a nice feeling.

WVRed
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM

The Patriots could have said the same about Randy Moss. We took a chance on Cedric Benson before and it has paid off tremendously.

I'm worried that Benson is going to be shot before the season is even over. We held our own against Pittsburgh, but we are going to need somebody late in the season. I'm not sure a rookie and a pass catching FB can do it.

Eric_the_Red
11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
As a Bengals fan, I'd rather LJ sign with Pittsburgh than Cincinnati. He does absolutely nothing for me.

Redsfaithful
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I just don't think Randy Moss, who is one of the greatest wide receivers of all time, and Cedric Benson who is still young with fresh legs can be compared to Larry Johnson who has been ridden hard over the years and is getting old (for a running back). It's not that he's controversial so much as the talent level doesn't match the risk. It did for Benson and Moss.

traderumor
11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I just don't think Randy Moss, who is one of the greatest wide receivers of all time, and Cedric Benson who is still young with fresh legs can be compared to Larry Johnson who has been ridden hard over the years and is getting old (for a running back). It's not that he's controversial so much as the talent level doesn't match the risk. It did for Benson and Moss.Low risk, high reward. Very little mileage this year and something to prove. What are they out if he is washed up? A few carries and a little bit of salary?

Redsfaithful
11-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Benson getting irritated for no reason? Johnson actually sucking in games that matter, possibly costing the Bengals wins?

It's pointless. I don't believe he's a better option at this point than Leonard or Scott so why bother?

Redsfaithful
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd rather bring back DeDe Dorsey as a fourth back, he's better than Johnson at this point too.

The Operator
11-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I'd rather bring back DeDe Dorsey as a fourth back, he's better than Johnson at this point too.No can do, not until the end of The UFL season. Same for Kenny Watson.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd rather bring back DeDe Dorsey as a fourth back, he's better than Johnson at this point too.

We need a back who can carry it more than 2 times and not come away with limps

Redsfaithful
11-16-2009, 07:36 PM
For a fourth stringer? Why?

GIDP
11-16-2009, 07:47 PM
For a fourth stringer? Why?

Because our 2nd stringer cant carry it 20 times, and our 3rd stringer isnt someone who is going to run well enough to do it either.

Scott is our DeDe. We need a Watson.

Redsfaithful
11-17-2009, 12:22 AM
I just don't see the evidence that Scott can't handle it, he ran the ball a ton in college, and he's not small. He was listed at 210 during Sunday's game, I'd be more comfortable with another 10-15 pounds, but it's not like he's tiny.

GIDP
11-17-2009, 12:52 AM
I just don't see the evidence that Scott can't handle it, he ran the ball a ton in college, and he's not small. He was listed at 210 during Sunday's game, I'd be more comfortable with another 10-15 pounds, but it's not like he's tiny.

I think Scott can handle it in the future but at the moment no way. He's been dinged up multiple times already this year in limited action and his season high in carries was sunday with 13. Other than that game his highest was 6. I think we are better safe than sorry here. His average carries per game in 2008 college season was 19 per game as well.

I agree that he isnt exactly small but until you train your body to handle a bigger work load going out there and making him rush 20 times is just screaming for him to get injured. I think he has a future of being a starting back but I'm not very comfortable going into a game with him having to do that right now.

wolfboy
11-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I think Scott can handle it in the future but at the moment no way. He's been dinged up multiple times already this year in limited action and his season high in carries was sunday with 13. Other than that game his highest was 6. I think we are better safe than sorry here. His average carries per game in 2008 college season was 19 per game as well.

I agree that he isnt exactly small but until you train your body to handle a bigger work load going out there and making him rush 20 times is just screaming for him to get injured. I think he has a future of being a starting back but I'm not very comfortable going into a game with him having to do that right now.

I agree. 19 carries a game in division 2 is a world away from 20-30 carries in the NFL. I don't care what you weigh.

Chip R
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Since the Bengals have now signed LJ, let's keep the discussion on one thread. Thanks.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79364