PDA

View Full Version : The John Gruden Honeymoon is Over

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
After the first two weeks, I thought he was a pretty cool guy to watch a football game with.

Now, I'm tired of everyone being "a football player," "someone who nobody outside of ________ has ever heard of," "my kind of player."

Not everything that happens on a football field is extraordinary.

After awhile, you start feeling like you're being sold, and once that feeling hits, nobody's buying.

I always try to give it another chance, but ESPN might be about the most unwatchable network there is.

GAC
11-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I use their website for scores and stats, among several others; but I've never been a regular viewer of ESPN. Pretty much can't stand the network. About the most it gets out of me, as far as viewership, is during the college football season, because I liked Herbstreit and Corso on College GameDay. May and Holtz are simply painful.

traderumor
11-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Gruden was bad? I couldn't tell with Jaworski's fawning over the Steelers. Yea, Ron, the Steelers are good, we get it. I'm not even sure why the other team shows up.

Redsfan320
11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't mind ESPN, except for the Monday night football group.
And I definitely don't understand what's so bad about Joe Morgan, who, although not mentioned in this thread yet, everyone seems to hate.

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
This wouldn't have anything to do with Gruden's pro-Steelers comments during last night's telecast, would it? As I was watching, I figured that would get under the skin of more than a few Bengals fans.

;)

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Gruden was bad? I couldn't tell with Jaworski's fawning over the Steelers. Yea, Ron, the Steelers are good, we get it. I'm not even sure why the other team shows up.

Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 09:00 AM
This wouldn't have anything to do with Gruden's pro-Steelers comments during last night's telecast, would it? As I was watching, I figured that would get under the skin of more than a few Bengals fans.

;)

I will admit I'm biased- but Gruden started to wear on me weeks ago.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 09:18 AM

;)

I will admit I'm biased- but Gruden started to wear on me weeks ago.

GIDP
11-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I like Gruden but I also dont watch every monday night game. He gets excited over good football and keeps you entertained.

Hoosier Red
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Last night was probably the first MNF game I've watched and paid attention to this year.

Was it just me or did it sound like Jaws and Tirico were right next to each other and Gruden was about 15 feet behind them shouting everything. Maybe it's just how his voice sounds.

Tony Cloninger
11-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I know it is annoying hearing about them talk about Pittsburgh but they just seem to know how to make other teams play as bad as possible against them.
So either they make them do it or they all seem to figure how to choke when they play them. Almost like when teams do stupid things against the Yankees and you cannot understand how they can play so bad against them and not like that against everyone else. They are both good but the other teams also seem to play stupid as well.

In the same vain as being like the Yankees...being in the same division as the Steelers is like being the Orioles or Blue Jays. But instead of money...it is their way of doing things that leaves everyone else in the dust in regards to getting players to tailor to what they are doing.

The Bengals picked a bad time to be put in the same division as the Steelers way back in 1970.... no one ever thought they would be any better than they had been for the previous 20 years and now they hardly ever have any down cycles at all.

RichRed
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Last night was probably the first MNF game I've watched and paid attention to this year.

Was it just me or did it sound like Jaws and Tirico were right next to each other and Gruden was about 15 feet behind them shouting everything. Maybe it's just how his voice sounds.

No, he definitely yells. I was in the other room at one point and I thought by the sound of his voice that somebody must've scored on the first 150-yard TD run in NFL history. Turns out it was just some random first down that he thought was the latest most amazing thing he'd ever seen.

Mario-Rijo
11-10-2009, 12:50 PM
No, he definitely yells. I was in the other room at one point and I thought by the sound of his voice that somebody must've scored on the first 150-yard TD run in NFL history. Turns out it was just some random first down that he thought was the latest most amazing thing he'd ever seen.

Well said that's exactly him, now wonder he couldn't draft a good player he falls in love with all of them. :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Must be that I'm coming up on my 25th wedding anniversary, but I tune all the announcer blah-blah out and just watch the ballgame. I've come to prefer EPL-style soccer announcers, i.e. less is more.

redsfanmia
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I always try to give it another chance, but ESPN might be about the most unwatchable network there is.

I agree with this quote 100%. Espn has been ruined by their self promotion and self importance.

MWM
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I watched last week for the first time this year and could not believe how dumb the guy sounds in the booth. The guy obviously has a pretty good football IQ, yet he sounds almost like Keyshon Johnson in the booth.

RANDY IN INDY
11-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope he is off the air after this season and on the sidelines of the Carolina Panthers as head coach.

Mario-Rijo
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I hope he is off the air after this season and on the sidelines of the Carolina Panthers as head coach.

Why in Odens beard would you do that to the Panthers?

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Why in Odens beard would you do that to the Panthers?

Because he'd coax Brian Griese out of retirement to replace Jake Delhomme? ;)

Blimpie
11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
No, he definitely yells. I was in the other room at one point and I thought by the sound of his voice that somebody must've scored on the first 150-yard TD run in NFL history. Turns out it was just some random first down that he thought was the latest most amazing thing he'd ever seen.Is it just me, or does anybody else think it sounds like Gruden is doing impressions of John Wayne?

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Is it just me, or does anybody else think it sounds like Gruden is doing impressions of John Wayne?

Absoloutely.

And Randy, I am telling you, you want no part of John Gruden. None.

Unless you like 6 quarterbacks on your roster .

George Foster
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I still miss Dennis Miller....

deltachi8
11-10-2009, 11:27 PM
I still miss Dennis Miller....

I liked Dennis Miller in the booth, I thought he was entertaining. usually I don;t care one way or another about announcers, I watch the game and can filter out what I don't like.

I do like Gruden though, I appreciate his enthusiasm and while it may be over the top, I think it is genuine.

The rest of ESPN...outside of Colin Cowherd (radio show not TV), I really have little use for it anymore.

Yachtzee
11-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Must be that I'm coming up on my 25th wedding anniversary, but I tune all the announcer blah-blah out and just watch the ballgame. I've come to prefer EPL-style soccer announcers, i.e. less is more.

I agree with that sentiment. Sports announcers these days feel obligated to say stuff to let us know how smart they are, as if their worth is based on the number of tidbits they can throw into a regular telecast. Soccer announcers, especially ones calling games in well-established European leagues, tend to focus more on the play on the field because there just isn't enough time for inane comments. Play doesn't stop, so they might get a quick replay to comment on after a goal or a foul, but most times they have to follow the play on the field. US sports announcers seem so conditioned to add color to the broadcast that they'll often go on with some stupid story while ignoring the play on the field.