PDA

View Full Version : Andre Agassi: Open

Hoosier Red
11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I see Agassi has taken a lot of grief for his book detailing the use of Chrystal Meth 10 years ago and for other things he admitted to in it.

Maybe I'm off but what is so bad about what he admitted? I mean I'm not advocating drug use but why are people upset at him admitting to it now?

How is his situation any different than Josh Hamilton?(Guy uses drugs foolishly, overcomes addiction, goes on to be one of the great tennis players of all time.)

The real story which is being overlooked is how the ATP just blindly accepted his awful lie. Of course they wouldn't have done that if Agassi wasn't a matinee idol but they do it for him? Shameful.

I also see people griping that he said he hated tennis when it made him all the money and riches. I don't consider him ungrateful for all of his riches, and given what he's given back, I don't think he's just been a spoiled baby. But he hated playing tennis, and it sounds like he hated being the center of attention.
Do you think all big time lawyers love the law and that's why they work 80 hours a week, or do they love the paycheck. How is this any different?

Chip R
11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I think one of the problems people have with him is that he's using all this stuff to sell his book. Much like when Pete Rose came out with his latest book and finally admitted he bet on baseball after denying it for all those years.

Hoosier Red
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I suppose, though as opposed to Pete whom everyone knew had done it, Agassi's secret wasn't even a rumor of a rumor.

Just curious, aside from the release he probably felt, how much money would you have to be paid to bare your darkest secrets?

GIDP
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I think one of the problems people have with him is that he's using all this stuff to sell his book. Much like when Pete Rose came out with his latest book and finally admitted he bet on baseball after denying it for all those years.

I dont think Andre aggasi needs money like pete does

Boston Red
11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I dont think Andre aggasi needs money like pete does

It's rarely about "need".

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Agassi made 100 million over his career- I think he's fine.

He has said that if were ever to do a memoir, he wanted everything in there, good and bad.

And truthfully- how do you talk about going from number one to #140 without talking what was behind it?

I'm just over the old, "he just wants to make a buck on the book," especially coming from the capitalist crowd.

Chip R
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
It's rarely about "need".

This.

jimbo
11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm just over the old, "he just wants to make a buck on the book," especially coming from the capitalist crowd.

The capitalist crowd??

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
The capitalist crowd??

Just seems like if you don't like the message, the author is only trying to make a buck.

George Foster
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I saw the 60 minutes interview. He was very open and honest. He has his own school in Las Vegas K-12, the Andre Agassi Academy. He's happily married to a former tennis pro...Steffi Graf. They have money to burn. This book was not about money. He just wanted to tell the truth, to clear his conscience. He did not have to tell ANYONE about the drug use, it happened 10 years ago. I respect him for coming clean and telling the truth.

Martina Navratilova showed her ignorance when she compaired him to Mark McGwire. Uh..Andre took a proformance inhibitor not a proformance enhancer...big difference.

GIDP
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Martina Navratilova showed her iggnorance

wasnt surprised by this one

George Foster
11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
wasnt surprised by this one

My dog hit the computer before I finished typing...it was corrected BEFORE your smart alec post...then I finished typing...nice try.

GIDP
11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
My dog hit the computer before I finished typing...it was corrected BEFORE your smart alec post...then I finished typing...nice try.

i didnt mean it like you thought i did :laugh:

I was talking about Martina showing her ignorance

Chip R
11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I saw the 60 minutes interview. He was very open and honest. He has his own school in Las Vegas K-12, the Andre Agassi Academy. He's happily married to a former tennis pro...Steffi Graf. They have money to burn. This book was not about money. He just wanted to tell the truth, to clear his conscience. He did not have to tell ANYONE about the drug use, it happened 10 years ago. I respect him for coming clean and telling the truth.

Then I'm sure he's giving all the proceeds of that book to charity, right?

I don't necessarily think it's all about the money. Of course if you want to write a book you certainly want as many people as possible to buy it. I think part of it is because he wants the attention.

GIDP
11-10-2009, 11:03 PM

I don't necessarily think it's all about the money. Of course if you want to write a book you certainly want as many people as possible to buy it. I think part of it is because he wants the attention.

Every person who writes a book about themselves is probably looking for attention

UKFlounder
11-10-2009, 11:06 PM
I read someone speculating that he might want to be involved in politics someday, and maybe this was a case of getting the skeletons in his closet out in the open instead of letting somebody else do it for him eventually.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2009, 11:19 PM

I want to make some money. I think I'll admit to using crystal meth so I can get more. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don't think you exchange a negative fallout and backlash that could harm your legacy over a freaking few million dollars.

And you don't do it for attention.

Eric_the_Red
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Every person who writes a book about themselves is probably looking for attention

Glory hounds.

http://baltimorebookworm.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/benfranklin.jpg?w=157&h=249

http://wigwags.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/douglass.jpg

http://jameslogancourier.org/media/Music%20and%20Movies/20090128-helenkellerauto.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/mg20227131.800/mg20227131.800-1_300.jpg

DTCromer
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM

What's wrong with him using it to sell his book? If the guy can make money off of it and people buy it, then more power to him.

Roy Tucker
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM

When I initially read the excerpt of Agassi's book in SI, I was in the "baring his soul for the money" crowd and dismissed it a a money-grubbing ploy. I was never a big fan of him and thought he was the ultimate tennis hot dog. I still remember shaking my head at his Canon camera commercials.

But the 60 Minutes thing swayed me. He truly is committed to his academy and his philanthropy. I really don't think he needs the money. He's a complex guy finding his way through a very blessed and cursed life. I think he's still narcissic, but less so. I think Chip is right, he just wants some attention and still be relevant.

Mario-Rijo
11-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe he is just trying to be the best man he can be and the only way to do that is to let the world know just who you really are. I know many people believe charading around as someone your not even though you have skeletons in the closet is the way to go. But I think this is the rarest and best form of trying to improve yourself. Now he may be using it to make money or continued relevance but watching the interview I got the feeling he just wanted to let people know who he really was for his own piece of mind. Maybe I am just a sucker for honesty though so I could be wrong.

Hoosier Red
11-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Everything I've read suggests you aren't too far off M-R.

He was asked/talked into/decided to do a memoir, and he knew that A) it would probably make money regardless so B) He might as well make it as honest a self appraisal as he could.