PDA

View Full Version : Bengals at Steelers (11/15/09)

macro
11-13-2009, 12:33 PM
We have a thread running about Bengals-Steelers history, but since that may be one that we will want to revive in the future, let's start a new thread pertaining to this Sunday's game, in particular.

Just a couple articles to get the conversation started: :evil:

Bengals should heed, Steelers are looking super

By Alan Robinson, Associated Press
Updated 8:12 AM Wednesday, November 11, 2009

PITTSBURGH — At the same time the Colts and Patriots are looking ahead to their pivotal AFC game in Indianapolis on Sunday night, Nov. 15, they might be tempted to peek over their shoulders at the Steelers.

With a look of worry, too. The Super Bowl champions are gaining on them.

Winners of five in a row, the Steelers are looking again like a team no one would willingly play in January. Or February.

The Denver Broncos might pass along this message to the Cincinnati Bengals: The Steelers aren't much fun in November, either.

The Steelers (6-2) appear to have long since moved past their last-minute losses to the Bears and Bengals that occurred with star safety Troy Polamalu injured and out. Their defense-driven 28-10 victory in Denver on Monday night put them in position to take over sole possession of the AFC North lead if they beat Cincinnati (6-2) on Sunday.

In their last two games, the Steelers have been dominant defensively and effective offensively in defeating two teams that were unbeaten only a couple of weeks ago, the Vikings (7-1) and the Broncos (6-2).

"We pride ourselves on being a great, dominant road team," said wide receiver Hines Ward.

What effectively is a three-game swing resulting from a single afternoon also makes Sunday's AFC North game vitally important to both the Bengals and Steelers.

If the Steelers win, they would lead the Bengals by one game and own plenty of momentum, plus a soft closing schedule. Should the Bengals win, they would essentially lead by two games because they would own the tiebreaker based on beating the Steelers twice.

Big games between the Bengals and Steelers have been rare since the 1980s, but this is clearly one of them.Also these nuggets from a guy at Sports Illustrated, who says the Steelers will go undefeated the rest of the season to finish 14-2, and then go 3-0 in the playoffs to finish 17-2 and Super Bowl Champions. That would have them winning their last 16 games after the 1-2 start. :eek:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/11/10/predictions/index.html

6. The Steelers will not lose another regular-season game. The belief among personnel people is you had better beat the Steelers early in the season because they get stronger as the year progresses. Sure enough, the defending Super Bowl champions have won five in a row and look to be finding their rhythm. More eye-opening: The Bengals are the only team left on Pittsburgh's schedule with a winning record. Scary.

10. Pittsburgh will win the Super Bowl. The Steelers are only two field goals away from being undefeated, and no one is really talking about them. Coach Mike Tomlin has to love that. Anyway, I have Pittsburgh, Indy, New England and Denver as my division winners, with San Diego and Cincinnati as the wild cards. Pittsburgh beats San Diego in the conference final. In the NFC I have New Orleans, Arizona, Minnesota and Philadelphia as division winners, with Dallas and Atlanta as the wild cards. New Orleans beats Minnesota in the conference final. Pittsburgh defeats New Orleans 27-24 for its second consecutive Lombardi Trophy.Is there any reason to play the game Sunday? :confused:

MWM
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, pretty much everyone is picking the Steelers. I would pick them too if I had to pick, but I don't think it's a no-brainer. The Bengals are more than capable of winning this game.

Roy Tucker
11-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Should be an interesting ball game. The Bengals have shown they are for real, but this game will show the degree of real they actually are.

Bengals O needs to have time of possession on their side to keep the D from getting too fatigued. Roethlisberger shines in the late stages of close games against tired defenses.

RichRed
11-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm not a Bengals fan but I really can't stand the Steelers. I'm rooting for you guys, big time.

The Operator
11-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Man, the media is too much some times. The articles above slobber all over The Steelers and then go on to say "and no one's really talking about them."

Are you serious? No one's talking about the team that the media is fawning all over and making sound as if the Bengals might as well forfeit?

Good grief.

Playadlc
11-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I see that Pittsburgh and Notre Dame are playing at Heinz field tomorrow night, so that cow pasture they call a field up there is probably going to be in worse shape than normal.

The Operator
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
As a fan, I'm always nervous to play The Steelers.

But for the first time, I think I can say with confidence that The Bengals aren't scared of them any more. Even in 2005, I think they were intimidated by The Steelers. But this team, all grown up, I don't think that's the case.

They are pretty evenly matched so it's gonna come down to who has the better game plan and not making costly mistakes. If they can get out to a lead and force Roethlisberger to make ill-advised throws, it could be a good game. But it could just as easily go the other way.

21-20 Bengals

traderumor
11-13-2009, 06:47 PM
The Steelers would have loss #3 were it not for Brett Favre handing the game to them.

macro
11-13-2009, 08:07 PM
As a fan, I'm always nervous to play The Steelers.

But for the first time, I think I can say with confidence that The Bengals aren't scared of them any more. Even in 2005, I think they were intimidated by The Steelers. But this team, all grown up, I don't think that's the case.

But even that 2005 team went into Heinz Field and beat the eventual Super Bowl champions. I agree that this year's team is not intimidated.

The Steelers would have loss #3 were it not for Brett Favre handing the game to them.

Let's not forget the two short field goals (37 yards and 31 yards) the Titans kicker missed (one was actually blocked) in the season opener at Pittsburgh. That game ended up going into OT, so either of those FGs would have put them at 4-4 on the season and given them an 0-3 start.

Don't get me wrong, I'll readily admit that the Bengals have won some games that could have easily went the other way, but the national media seems to have us believe that the Steelers have steamrolled over everyone, which is not the case.

The Operator
11-13-2009, 08:31 PM
But even that 2005 team went into Heinz Field and beat the eventual Super Bowl champions. I agree that this year's team is not intimidated.

Very true, which is another reason why I'm not sweating this game too much. For whatever reason, they actually have fared better in Pittsburgh the last few years than when facing them at home. It defies logic, but it's happened never the less.

Don't get me wrong, I'll readily admit that the Bengals have won some games that could have easily went the other way, but the national media seems to have us believe that the Steelers have steamrolled over everyone, which is not the case.

That's the media for you. I really don't get it either. They're acting like eventually pulling away from a VERY overrated Denver team means that The Steelers just can't be beat. Like I said in another thread, a Kyle Orton-led offense will not win consistently against teams with good defense. He just doesn't stand a chance when he has to stretch the field. I have a feeling they'll keep losing while SD takes that division.

That could still be bad for us though, if Denver remains in the wild card hunt and we're trying for one too, seeing as they have the tie breaker. I still can't believe they lost to The Broncos, even with the fluke play. If The Bengals played Denver this weekend, it wouldn't even be close.

But, alas, all Pittsburgh has to do is go on any kind of hot streak, and suddenly the media can't get over them. You'd think The Bengals were a pop warner team the way most of the predictions are going.

Hopefully Marvin and his team are aware of just how little respect they are getting going into this game and use it as a motivator.

cincrazy
11-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Very true, which is another reason why I'm not sweating this game too much. For whatever reason, they actually have fared better in Pittsburgh the last few years than when facing them at home. It defies logic, but it's happened never the less.

That's the media for you. I really don't get it either. They're acting like eventually pulling away from a VERY overrated Denver team means that The Steelers just can't be beat. Like I said in another thread, a Kyle Orton-led offense will not win consistently against teams with good defense. He just doesn't stand a chance when he has to stretch the field. I have a feeling they'll keep losing while SD takes that division.

That could still be bad for us though, if Denver remains in the wild card hunt and we're trying for one too, seeing as they have the tie breaker. I still can't believe they lost to The Broncos, even with the fluke play. If The Bengals played Denver this weekend, it wouldn't even be close.

But, alas, all Pittsburgh has to do is go on any kind of hot streak, and suddenly the media can't get over them. You'd think The Bengals were a pop warner team the way most of the predictions are going.

Hopefully Marvin and his team are aware of just how little respect they are getting going into this game and use it as a motivator.

I don't see it as disrespect. I think the Bengals are getting plenty of respect from the national media, I haven't read or heard anyone say it's going to be a blowout yet. Sportsline.com had like 5 of their 6 experts pick the Bengals to cover the spread. Most people are picking Pittsburgh to win, as they very well should. They are the defending champs, they are at home, and in terms of the division, they need this game more than we do.

Mario-Rijo
11-14-2009, 02:28 AM
I believe the Steelers are the better team currently but I think it's relatively close and as MWM pointed out we are fully capable of winning this game. I do think that even though it's thought the Steelers need it worse I don't believe it because I don't think we end up with identical records. Their schedule is a cake walk for them and ours has a few potential roadblocks like SD and Minnesota both on the road in difficult environments. Although I do suspect Pittsburgh will lose a game they shouldn't they won't lose 5 games maybe not even 4 and if we lose this one we have to beat everyone else but 1 and I just don't know we are at that level yet.

However Pittsburgh will be fired up over the Bengals getting any recognition for beating them in a game they feel they should have won (if not for Sweeds drop) and talk of sweeping the division when they haven't been swept yet. I think Pittsburgh has the edge so I fully expect them to win a hard hitting semi-close game say 24-16. But I believe that will be the impetus this team needs to find that next level, in other words it will serve as a constant reminder that we need to keep improving.

Of course I think we can run the football on them in this game without Aaron Smith in the game and if Bratkowski could keep from ruining a potential advantage with the burning desire to get pass happy. And if we can run the football on them we have it half licked as then we'd just have to find the ability to get Ben on the ground which is no easy task. However one thing we can do is get out in front early by 10 or more points and then their Offensive coordinator may get pass happy as he is of the same ilk as Brat. Make them one dimensional by pressuring their coordinator.

I say come out right away with play action and go deep (because chances are we will start with the ball) out of a formation Polamalu hasn't seen yet. Loosen up that secondary right away and keep Polamalu guessing a bit with some different stuff but run the crap out of the ball and right at him. If you do that you have a chance of getting an o-lineman on him without Aaron Smith and Kirschke in the game. That said their other starting DE Keisel is still solid against the run and they have Ziggy Hood who they may use in pass rush plays from that spot. I say run that ball do a little play action here and there and the hard part will be getting Ben on the ground, good luck with that. If he gets loose it's gonna get ugly in a hurry because his WR's get serious seperation when that happens and they also do a good job of blocking downfield.

Redhook
11-14-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm hoping for two things:

1) A Bengals victory
2) Hines Ward gets blown-up

traderumor
11-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I believe the Steelers are the better team currently but I think it's relatively close and as MWM pointed out we are fully capable of winning this game. I do think that even though it's thought the Steelers need it worse I don't believe it because I don't think we end up with identical records. Their schedule is a cake walk for them and ours has a few potential roadblocks like SD and Minnesota both on the road in difficult environments. Although I do suspect Pittsburgh will lose a game they shouldn't they won't lose 5 games maybe not even 4 and if we lose this one we have to beat everyone else but 1 and I just don't know we are at that level yet.

However Pittsburgh will be fired up over the Bengals getting any recognition for beating them in a game they feel they should have won (if not for Sweeds drop) and talk of sweeping the division when they haven't been swept yet. I think Pittsburgh has the edge so I fully expect them to win a hard hitting semi-close game say 24-16. But I believe that will be the impetus this team needs to find that next level, in other words it will serve as a constant reminder that we need to keep improving.

Of course I think we can run the football on them in this game without Aaron Smith in the game and if Bratkowski could keep from ruining a potential advantage with the burning desire to get pass happy. And if we can run the football on them we have it half licked as then we'd just have to find the ability to get Ben on the ground which is no easy task. However one thing we can do is get out in front early by 10 or more points and then their Offensive coordinator may get pass happy as he is of the same ilk as Brat. Make them one dimensional by pressuring their coordinator.

I say come out right away with play action and go deep (because chances are we will start with the ball) out of a formation Polamalu hasn't seen yet. Loosen up that secondary right away and keep Polamalu guessing a bit with some different stuff but run the crap out of the ball and right at him. If you do that you have a chance of getting an o-lineman on him without Aaron Smith and Kirschke in the game. That said their other starting DE Keisel is still solid against the run and they have Ziggy Hood who they may use in pass rush plays from that spot. I say run that ball do a little play action here and there and the hard part will be getting Ben on the ground, good luck with that. If he gets loose it's gonna get ugly in a hurry because his WR's get serious seperation when that happens and they also do a good job of blocking downfield.I think the Bengals and Steelers are evenly matched this year. If it weren't for Bengals history, I think many would say that the Bengals are the better team when push comes to shove. The Steelers have a more seasoned D, but I don't think they are clearly better than us in any area of their team, unit by unit, position by position.

macro
11-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I do think that even though it's thought the Steelers need it worse I don't believe it because I don't think we end up with identical records. Their schedule is a cake walk for them and ours has a few potential roadblocks like SD and Minnesota both on the road in difficult environments. Although I do suspect Pittsburgh will lose a game they shouldn't they won't lose 5 games maybe not even 4 and if we lose this one we have to beat everyone else but 1 and I just don't know we are at that level yet.

That's what I've been thinking. Although the Trotter article I quoted above irks me, he almost has a point about Pittsburgh finishing the regular season undefeated. Other than two games with Baltimore, they should be expected to win the rest of their games. So if they beat the Bengals and split with Baltimore, they end up 13-3. Cincinnati would then have to run the table to also finish 13-3.

Even if the Steelers slip up and lose two more, they'd still be 12-4, so the Bengals could only lose one more game the rest of the way to win the division. I'll be honest; I think Pittsburgh sews up the division with a win tomorrow. But this is the NFL, and strange things happen. Even the invincible Pittsburgh Steelers are human, and capable of laying an egg or two along the way.

The Bengals primary rival for a playoff spot this season may not be Pittsburgh, at all, however. Instead, it may be the wildcard contenders. I think this team is just as good (if not better) on the road than it is at home, so being a wildcard instead of division champion may not be the worst thing in the world.

Mario-Rijo
11-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I think the Bengals and Steelers are evenly matched this year. If it weren't for Bengals history, I think many would say that the Bengals are the better team when push comes to shove. The Steelers have a more seasoned D, but I don't think they are clearly better than us in any area of their team, unit by unit, position by position.

I don't base my assessments on history in fact I'm an advocate for looking at a team strictly on it's season. But I do believe they are matched up relatively close, however that doesn't mean that the Steelers don't have a clear overall edge for this week. Bottom line is if we don't get to Ben early and often we lose this game no matter what we do on offense. The reason I believe that is because where they have an advantage is in Bens ability to stretch the play and wait for his WR's to get open and they will because neither of our safeties are the greatest in coverage and our nickel corner is a bit suspect as well. So is their's IMO (sans Polamalu and Taylor) but they get to a QB easier than us, our QB isn't as mobile and they now have the edge with a great deep man in Wallace. There are other reasons I think this week we aren't the best matchup but that is the biggest reason IMO.

Tony Cloninger
11-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Picked a bad time to get the injuries they did. Losing Henry can be dealt with but they also lose Mathis the OL who has been playing well and Keith Rivers.

I never trust the Bengals depth....even with the year they have been having.

DTCromer
11-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Bengals lose by 2+ TD's tomorrow and still make playoffs.

Nothing to worry about.

cincrazy
11-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Bengals lose by 2+ TD's tomorrow and still make playoffs.

Nothing to worry about.

I think they're backs are against the walls today, but I don't think it's a given they lose by 2+ touchdowns. This team isn't going to lie down for anyone. I think they're too tough to get routed.

traderumor
11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
I'd be more worried if Malaluaga or Jones was out than Rivers.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd be more worried if Malaluaga or Jones was out than Rivers.

Exactly Brandon Johnson played really well last year after Rivers went out with a broken jaw. Personally I think Johnson is better in coverage and brings a nice pass rush as well.

As far as Mathis goes, Livings was the starter at the beginning of the year so I don't think you lose much with Nate. He also knows our LT pretty well too, as they played together at LSU. I am more concerned about Pitts coming off the edges than I am coming up the middle.

I look for Pitts to throw everything but the kitchen sink at Benson. If the Bengals get out of rhythym early it will be a long day for the visiting team.

GIDP
11-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Rivers is the better overall line backer but Rey certainly is a better play maker.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
That was a wonderful kick return for a TD but horrible extra point attempt

Joseph
11-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Troy Polamalu apparently out again.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Benson has been out the last series or two, hopefully nothing major, just a change of pace with Scott.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Benson has a strained hip, looks a bit shaky for the rest of the day.

HeatherC1212
11-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Great. I hope Benson is all right. :( I'm glad I decided to watch skating instead of this game. Too much stress for me. :eek:

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Both teams playing very hard today, they could wind up with a lot of banged up players by the time it is all said and done.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I hate the Steelers but this is a really well played game by both defenses

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I take that back

Joseph
11-15-2009, 02:24 PM
This team needs a good safety.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
This team needs a good safety.

Yes. Amoung other things

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Looks like 9-6 going into halftime. Could be rough waters ahead for the Bengals without Cedric Benson. Scott has looked good on kickoffs hopefully it translates into the second half.

MWM
11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
That interference call was pretty bad. The receiver wasn't even trying to catch the ball.

Reds4Life
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Bengals D has played great, they are eating Ben alive with 4 sacks already.

Going to be tough to pull this one out without Benson though.

Joseph
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I also hate the block in the back calls on kick offs. Its like holding and can likely be called on every play.

joshnky
11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Bengals D has played great, they are eating Ben alive with 4 sacks already.

Going to be tough to pull this one out without Benson though.

If Benson is going to be out, I'd love to see Brat switch things up and go no-huddle for the second half. Put Leonard out there and where Pitt down with the constant pace. Pittsburgh is already really tough against the run so might as well replace that with a short passing, tempo-oriented offensive game if Benson is out.

joshnky
11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I also hate the block in the back calls on kick offs. Its like holding and can likely be called on every play.

True and it seems like it has been called on every return for either team except the Scott TD.

GIDP
11-15-2009, 02:40 PM
This game is something else. No team really dominating but both playing pretty well.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I think you can get away with both Leonard and Scott in the backfield the rest of the way, as both catch the ball really well. Bengals need to stop Pitts coming out of the half and generate some offense of there own. Don't want to go down 16-6 without Ced.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
We have a Frostee Rucker sighting.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
That was something else

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Going the rest of the way without Cedric.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 02:51 PM
If they would've had Cedric I think they would've went for it on 4 and 1

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
9-9 as Graham ties it up after the big pick by Rucker. I do agree with Phil looked helmet to helmet to me as well.

WMR
11-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I love this defense (safeties notwithstanding).

KoryMac5
Zimmer pitching a good game today, nice pressure on Ben.

Degenerate39
Another good stop by the Bengals D

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I love what Crocker does, unfortunately Roy has been hurt and Ndukwe is still pretty undisciplined. Our corners Hall, J Jo, and Trent have been outstanding.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Pitts sure can send the speed on the blitz. Carson needs to start looking some guys off. 12-9 Bengals on top.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Bengals pass rushers staying in there lanes today, not allowing Ben to scramble. Great gameplan by Zimmer.

WMR
11-15-2009, 03:12 PM
They should've run there.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Had guys open just couldn't get the ball to them. Roland had Woodley just move him out of the way. Old forklift move.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I hope we can get a healthy Cedric in the 4th quarter

Brutus
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
I hope we can get a healthy Cedric in the 4th quarter

It sounds like they've already pretty much ruled him out of this game.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:29 PM
12-12 game as Reed gets the FG.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Back in the RedsZone again. Carson needs to come up big here on 3rd down.

Joseph
11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
A touchdown would be real nice right about now.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Go for it here Marvin, 2 feet short.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 03:39 PM
It's been a long time since I've been this nervous about a football game. Well probably since the last Steelers/Bengals game.

KoryMac5
Marvin disagrees with KoryMac and elects to kick it on 4th down. 15-12 Bengals on top. D needs to be solid with 7 mins to go.

Hoosier Red
No, get the points. Plus it was a good yard it looked like.

Reds4Life
11-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I can't recall a game where this many field goals has been kicked by both teams combined, and not a single TD on either side.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Looked closer 2 feet I would have snuck Palmer. If it was a yard than Marvin made a good call.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Way to go D! Love me some Zimmer.

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I can't recall a game where this many field goals has been kicked by both teams combined, and not a single TD on either side.

Bengals returned a kick off for a TD

Degenerate39
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Could really really use a TD on this drive while taking off a good amount of time from the clock.

Reds4Life

Ah ok, I missed most of the first half. :(

KoryMac5

As usual we muffed the xtra point.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Looking for some Palmer magic. Would love to have Cedric in there to grind it out.

Hoosier Red
11-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Looked closer 2 feet I would have snuck Palmer. If it was a yard than Marvin made a good call.

I thought so too, looked like we got short changed on the spot.
Need some 1st downs at least.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice 15 yarder on Harrison.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Keep moving the chains.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Not bad for a D-II player.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Brat do not get tentative here, play to win the game.

RedsManRick
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I do not want to see a FG here. I'd go for it on 4th if I had to.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Biggest 3rd down of the season. No sacks.

RedsManRick
11-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Grr. Why run it straight in to the blitz? Perfect time for a screen there...

A FG puts the Steelers in a perfect position to win by 1...

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Can't be happy with that call on 3rd and 3. Scott loses a couple setting up Graham for a FG try.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Brat must be watching Tressel coach again. I can't be too upset though, without Benson he has called a pretty good ball control game.

RedsManRick
11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
FG is good. 18-12. Time for Zimmer's boys to earn their paychecks.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 03:59 PM
18-12 Bengal lead as Graham is perfect. Time for Zimmer and the D to get their due today.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Don't talk to me no more about Pittsburgh, don't talk to me no more about Bungles. We came into their house today and punched them in the mouth.

Yachtzee
11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Deeeeefeeeeeense! I can't remember the last time I've seen a Bengals D this dominant. Incredible.

CTA513
11-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Don't talk to me no more about Pittsburgh, don't talk to me no more about Bungles. We came into their house today and punched them in the mouth.

:beerme:

HeatherC1212
OMG, did we just win this game?!??!?!? To say that I'm stunned would be a massive understatement. :eek:

WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:

Joseph
Pittsburgh still has a big say in who goes to the big game. Sweeping them doesn't mean the Bengals beat them come play off time.

Grats to the Bengals. I didn't think the men in stripes would be able to do it. :D

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Beat Baltimore twice and beat Pitts twice, Cincy is in the drivers seat for the AFC North. Just a great overall team effort by everyone involved.

Reds Fanatic
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
What a fantastic effort by the defense! Bengals are now 5-0 in the division!

reds1869
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Who Dey Baby!

Yachtzee
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Did Hines Ward even play today? I don't think I heard them call his number all day.

Joseph
11-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Did Hines Ward even play today? I don't think I heard them call his number all day.

If I recall correctly he had a catch or two. One after which he got up jawing with Jonathan Joseph.

He was a non-factor, as was both teams passing attack it seemed.

GIDP
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Steeler players are such thugs :laugh:

GIDP
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I bet people find a reason to pick Oakland next week.

WMR
11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
WHO DEY!!!

WOW, I am ecstatic right now.

macro
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Pittsburgh still has a big say in who goes to the big game. Sweeping them doesn't mean the Bengals beat them come play off time.

Grats to the Bengals. I didn't think the men in stripes would be able to do it. :D

As happy as I am about today's win, I certainly hope they don't cross paths with Pittsburgh again in the playoffs. It's nearly impossible to be a great time three times in one season, so a rematch would certainly favor the Steelers in that situation. There's a lot of football left to be played to even worry about that, though. The odds of the two teams crossing paths in the playoffs yet again would seem to be slim.

One thought that crossed my mind as soon as the game was over was "Do not let this be the highlight of our season, like the win at Pittsburgh was in 2005." The goal should be to be celebrating in February, not in November.

I didn't get to see the overall reaction of the players following the game today, but that would be somewhat telling. If they simply displayed a businesslike happiness, then that bodes well for the attitude and maturity of the team. If they were stomping yellow towels and jawing with the fans, then that would not be a good sign. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the former.

GIDP
11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
WHO DEY

HeatherC1212
11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
I didn't get to see the overall reaction of the players following the game today, but that would be somewhat telling. If they simply displayed a businesslike happiness, then that bodes well for the attitude and maturity of the team. If they were stomping yellow towels and jawing with the fans, then that would not be a good sign. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the former.

I saw the end of the game and from what I could tell, they all got really pumped up when they got the ball back but after the win was official, they pretty much just shook hands with everyone and then headed off the field. The excitement was definitely there but it seemed understated to me aside from when they got the ball back to clinch the game.

GIDP
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I saw the Steelers guys run off the field like little babies. What else is new.

macro
11-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I bet people find a reason to pick Oakland next week.

The Bengals franchise is 1-13 all-time on the road against the Raiders, and the one win came in LA in 1988. The Bengals have never won a game in Oakland. There's absolutely no excuse for this team to go out there and lose, however.

The Bengals will be heavy favorites the next three weeks. The media attention is sure to be ramped up a couple notches after today's win. Let's see how well they handle it.

Sea Ray
11-15-2009, 04:38 PM
The Bengals franchise is 1-13 all-time on the road against the Raiders (in Oakland and LA). There's absolutely no excuse for this team to go out there and lose, however.

The Bengals will be heavy favorites the next three weeks. The media attention is sure to be ramped up a couple notches after today's win. Let's see how well they handle it.

Fantastic win, but yes the season's not over by a long shot. But we do know one thing: This team is good...legitimately good.

GIDP
11-15-2009, 04:40 PM
The Bengals franchise is 1-13 all-time on the road against the Raiders, and the one win came in LA in 1988. The Bengals have never won a game in Oakland. There's absolutely no excuse for this team to go out there and lose, however.

they could be playing Toledo and the talking heads would say something negative.

harangatang
11-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I hope Cedric is OK as I think he's the 2nd most important player on this team behind Palmer. Scott did alright on the final Bengals drive, but this team is much worse off without Cedric. I hope the Bengals don't just put in overdrive the next few weeks and have an upset by Oakland, Detroit, or Cleveland. The way that defense has been playing I doubt it and I think this is a different Bengals team. What a great win for the Bengals! Who Dey!!

macro
11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I hope Cedric is OK as I think he's the 2nd most important player on this team behind Palmer.

I'm hearing that he may be listed as questionable for next week, and the fact that he came back in for one more play is a good sign. If he's got to be hobbled, it would be coming at the best possible time.

Brutus
11-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope Cedric is OK as I think he's the 2nd most important player on this team behind Palmer. Scott did alright on the final Bengals drive, but this team is much worse off without Cedric. I hope the Bengals don't just put in overdrive the next few weeks and have an upset by Oakland, Detroit, or Cleveland. The way that defense has been playing I doubt it and I think this is a different Bengals team. What a great win for the Bengals! Who Dey!!

I'm not saying I would not be crushed if Benson were going to be out a while. He's an important piece. However, in the NFL, when you have a dominant offensive line, after the very elite tier of NFL backs, you can throw a lot of guys in there and successfully run the football. While I won't go so far to say Bernard Scott could do what Benson has been doing, I think the offensive line showed on that last offensive drive that they are every bit as responsible for the success in running the ball this year as Benson.

Don't mistake that for saying Benson isn't a talented back and an important piece. But I think if they had to, the Bengals could maintain a solid running game behind this line even without him.

traderumor
11-15-2009, 05:02 PM
The Bengals D was incredible today. Not only did they get pressure on Rothlisberger, but they got the sacks and only let him get out of the pocket a few times, and none that I recall in the second half.

That is about as dominated as you will see a good Steelers squad at home. I felt comfortable the whole game that the Bengals were in control of the game, despite the score.

Think about this, with all the criticism of Lewis teams in the past for such things as penalties and bonehead turnovers. I recall one penalty other than in the kicking game, and that was a very close PI call that is a 50/50 call. That shows me that such problems were most likely a product of players not being mentally tough enough and not talented enough to play straight up, so they would get penalties.

Now, with the talent and discipline to avoid penalties and turnovers, did the coaching staff suddenly get it, or do better players not make stupid mistakes in football games? That is a rhetorical question, by the way.

harangatang
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not saying I would not be crushed if Benson were going to be out a while. He's an important piece. However, in the NFL, when you have a dominant offensively line, after the very elite tier of NFL backs, you can throw a lot of guys in there and successfully run the football. While I won't go so far to say Bernard Scott could do what Benson has been doing, I think the offensive line showed on that last offensive drive that they are every bit as responsible for the success in running the ball this year as Benson.

Don't mistake that for saying Benson isn't a talented back and an important piece. But I think if they had to, the Bengals could maintain a solid running game behind this line even without him.The offensive line did dramatically help out the running game on that last drive. I think the question is now, should the Bengals go out and get Larry Johnson? Granted Cedric might not be out for that long, but I think the Bengals should.

Brutus
11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
The offensive line did dramatically help out the running game on that last drive. I think the question is now, should the Bengals go out and get Larry Johnson? Granted Cedric might not be out for that long, but I think the Bengals should.

I personally wouldn't mess with him unless Benson was going to be out a while. The guy isn't the same back he was a few years ago, and while the Bengals have shown they can take questionable character guys and still be successful, I'm not sure there's a reason to in this case (unless, again, they think Benson's injury will be one that nags for a while).

If Benson were going to be out several weeks, then sure, might not be a bad acquisition. Johnson has never had the benefit of a good line. I do think his running style would be a good mesh here.

Tony Cloninger
11-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Johnson has never had the benefit of a good line? KC usually had 3 Pro-Bowlers every year until the last 2 years...on the OL. He had more than a decent enough OL in KC for most of his career.

They would need a RB who can control the clock more so than what they have now if CB is out too long...but with this defense...I could see them holding all those 3 teams under 10 points easily.

yab1112
11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I think the question is now, should the Bengals go out and get Larry Johnson? Granted Cedric might not be out for that long, but I think the Bengals should.

I wouldn't take a chance on him. The chemistry is so good right now and like others have mentioned, B. Scott behind this line is nothing to laugh at. Besides, he knows this offense and is comfortable. How long would it take LJ to get that comfortable?

Has anyone heard anything about the hip injury? I'm unfamiliar with hip injuries, what's the worst case scenario?

yab1112
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
From Bengals.com:

A few postgame notes and quotes following Sunday's 18-12 win over the Steelers:

"It's the most physical grinding game I've ever been on the sideline for," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "That was a big win."

Cedric Benson said his injury wasn't his hip joint, rather it was a hip flexor and he thinks he will be OK.

"It was a team win but our defense won this game," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "Field goals win games, touchdowns win games, we'll take this."

This was the first season series of the Steelers in 11 years.

"It's scary. Everybody is going to be patting us on the back now, telling us we're great," Palmer said about the Bengals upcoming schedule. "We're not good enough to win the Super Bowl right now. We're not good enough to make a dominant playoff run. We have a long way to go. We can't start thinking about stuff like that.

"We're going to be playing teams that have won two, three, four games, and we're going to go into games expecting to win but we still have to play the same way we played today."

It is the first time since 1975 the Bengals have won their first four road games to a open a season, and next week they go on the road to Oakland where they have never won.

The Bengals have won six straight in the AFC North, the first time since Nov. 2005 to Nov. 2006.

Mario-Rijo
11-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't take a chance on him. The chemistry is so good right now and like others have mentioned, B. Scott behind this line is nothing to laugh at. Besides, he knows this offense and is comfortable. How long would it take LJ to get that comfortable?

Has anyone heard anything about the hip injury? I'm unfamiliar with hip injuries, what's the worst case scenario?

Bo Jackson???

But seriously I don't think Cedric is that bad off but who really knows. If he were to be hurt for the season then I think you go out and highly consider LJ otherwise I'd pass and re-sign Dorsey for the short term.

On the game itself they did exactly what I didn't think they could do and that was pressure Ben early and often, contained him and generally put him on the ground. However I lay this win right at the feet of the Steelers offensive co-ordinator who abandoned the run just as I suspected he would (and as he often does). I'm not saying the defense didn'y play a great game, they did but it's easy to tee off when the opposition is being blatantly obvious in what they are doing. Would it have changed anything? I think it would have but clearly in the red zone is where our defense made their money today and that makes them deserving of the win regardless of what the Steelers did or didn't do.

Tony Cloninger
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
That Denver loss still sticks in my craw.....how bad do they look now? They should have been beaten.

Apparently based on an earlier post from a Steelers fan who thinks they still will have say as to who goes to the Super Bowl...as if NE and Indy do not exist...this team will not get any respect until they win a playoff game or maybe even go to the Super Bowl.

Brutus
11-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Johnson has never had the benefit of a good line? KC usually had 3 Pro-Bowlers every year until the last 2 years...on the OL. He had more than a decent enough OL in KC for most of his career.

They would need a RB who can control the clock more so than what they have now if CB is out too long...but with this defense...I could see them holding all those 3 teams under 10 points easily.

Shields has been great. Waters also has been pretty good. But most of Johnson's career, Kansas City's line as a whole has not been very productive. Some of that is injuries. Some of it is inconsistency. But especially the last few years, it's been a questionable unit.

Tony Cloninger
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes...the last 2...it has been bad. Bengal 1993-94 bad..in regards to the OL (Remember Kevin Sargent as the LT?)

Prior to that though...his OL was above average.

They just said on ESPN News that Benson hurt his hip at the end of Baltimore game and it bothered him all week and he took it easy for practice.

It sounds like a thing that will nag him all year unless he sits out at least 1 game. I know you can get away with an injured RB when you have a good OL...... maybe we can call Larry Kinnebrew.

Joseph
11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
That Denver loss still sticks in my craw.....how bad do they look now? They should have been beaten.

Apparently based on an earlier post from a Steelers fan who thinks they still will have say as to who goes to the Super Bowl...as if NE and Indy do not exist...this team will not get any respect until they win a playoff game or maybe even go to the Super Bowl.

I made a comment like that,though I am a Bengals fan through and through.

As for team respect, its out there to be earned, they are doing what they need to earn it. I bet they have earned a Sunday night or Monday night game later in the season, and certainly some next season.

Tony Cloninger
11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Okay....i will give you a pass since your a Bengal fan. :D

I am all for them not getting any respect until they win..... heck they seem to play better when they are not given a bunch of accolades.

I can only hope that the players who cannot deal with success have been replaced by guys who can deal with this stuff. No reason to think that they cannot. Just beacuse they are the bengals does not mean it is the same players who have been losers or did not know how to handle things.

The down side of having Scott be the full time runner is losing his KO return ability.

MWM
11-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I've never seen Big Ben that completely discombobulated since he's been in the league. He looked clueless the entire game. Mike Zimmer might just be a defensive genius. Big Ben is known for his final 2 minute drives. When they got the beall with 2 to go, I thought they'd at least put a drive together. That they didn't even complete a single pass is one of the most surprising things I've seen in all my years as a fan.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I've never seen Big Ben that completely discombobulated since he's been in the league. He looked clueless the entire game. Mike Zimmer might just be a defensive genius. Big Ben is known for his final 2 minute drives. When they got the beall with 2 to go, I thought they'd at least put a drive together. That they didn't even complete a single pass is one of the most surprising things I've seen in all my years as a fan.

Probably the first time I have seen D-Lineman try and stay in there lanes an entire game against Big Ben. Zimmer continues to preach discipline and knowing your job, and we can see it paying off.

Hoosier Red
11-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Just once, I'd like to see a defensive lineman take a swipe at the ball when Ben has it and pump fakes as opposed to lowering a shoulder and trying to tackle him.

cincrazy
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I've never seen a Bengals team this mentally tough, and physical. Simply incredible. This team is going to be one hell of a tough out come playoff time, I guarantee that much.

Yachtzee
11-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Probably the first time I have seen D-Lineman try and stay in there lanes an entire game against Big Ben. Zimmer continues to preach discipline and knowing your job, and we can see it paying off.

What particularly impresses me is that many of the names you hear getting it done on D are the same names that have been here when the D was poor. Zimmer has found a way to get through to guys like Peko, Fanene, Geathers, Brandon Johnson and Ndukwe and brought out their potential. It's not like the Offensive line, which has seen significant changeover in the past two years to the point where I don't know much about these guys at all.

I just hope Mike Brown is saving up to give Zimmer a nice fat raise at the end of the season. It would be nice to have a good defensive coordinator for more than one season.

WebScorpion
11-15-2009, 07:00 PM

I thought Ben was lucky to get out of the game with only one interception. The secondary covered the receivers like a blanket all day leaving Ben little choice. Some of those sacks could have been picks if he'd thrown it and even so he had quite a few questionable throws get batted around. Statistically, the two teams were almost dead even across the board except for two things; The kickoff returns (all the Bengals returns were longer) and interceptions. (Ben=1, Carson=0) All in all, an excellent game.

cincrazy
11-15-2009, 07:10 PM
What particularly impresses me is that many of the names you hear getting it done on D are the same names that have been here when the D was poor. Zimmer has found a way to get through to guys like Peko, Fanene, Geathers, Brandon Johnson and Ndukwe and brought out their potential. It's not like the Offensive line, which has seen significant changeover in the past two years to the point where I don't know much about these guys at all.

I just hope Mike Brown is saving up to give Zimmer a nice fat raise at the end of the season. It would be nice to have a good defensive coordinator for more than one season.

I find it hard to believe Zimmer won't get SERIOUS consideration for a head coaching job after the season. The man deserves it. And I definitely want to keep him, but on the same hand, he deserves to be a head coach and I'd be happy as hell for him.

KoryMac5
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I find it hard to believe Zimmer won't get SERIOUS consideration for a head coaching job after the season. The man deserves it. And I definitely want to keep him, but on the same hand, he deserves to be a head coach and I'd be happy as hell for him.

He may get serious consideration from his current team. Mike Brown has already approached Lewis about an extension. Lewis reportedly wants to wait until the season is over. Could get interesting in Cincy.

joshnky
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
He may get serious consideration from his current team. Mike Brown has already approached Lewis about an extension. Lewis reportedly wants to wait until the season is over. Could get interesting in Cincy.

I would want to wait too if my team was putting together a Super Bowl-type season. His pay day at the end of the year will be huge compared to what it would have been a couple weeks ago. He is signed through 2010 and given the support that Brown has showed Marvin during the tough years, I'd be shocked to see him leave.

AtomicDumpling
11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm not saying I would not be crushed if Benson were going to be out a while. He's an important piece. However, in the NFL, when you have a dominant offensive line, after the very elite tier of NFL backs, you can throw a lot of guys in there and successfully run the football. While I won't go so far to say Bernard Scott could do what Benson has been doing, I think the offensive line showed on that last offensive drive that they are every bit as responsible for the success in running the ball this year as Benson.

Don't mistake that for saying Benson isn't a talented back and an important piece. But I think if they had to, the Bengals could maintain a solid running game behind this line even without him.

I agree.

The offensive line has more impact on the running game than the running back does.

I would still rather have Cedric Benson busting the ball between the tackles than Bernard Scott. Scott is probably more likely to break a big one down the sidelines though.

What a fun game to watch today.

My neighbors are die-hard, obnoxious Steelers fans (even though they are life-long Cincinnatians :rolleyes:) that love to rub it in when the Steelers beat the Bengals. They will have to keep their cakeholes shut for a while now. So I have that going for me, which is nice. :thumbup:

traderumor
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM

I just hope Mike Brown is saving up to give Zimmer a nice fat raise at the end of the season. It would be nice to have a good defensive coordinator for more than one season.They are also primarily draft choices who might also be maturing and the light came on all at once. The main difference is the secondary. They have just been magnificent.

Mario-Rijo
11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
They are also primarily draft choices who might also be maturing and the light came on all at once. The main difference is the secondary. They have just been magnificent.

They have played better this year although I've seen some flaws, however not today they played like you'd hope a secondary would play. A game the defense needs to continue to build on. If we stay healthy and continue to play defense like that I like our chances against anyone NE & Indy included even Minny and N.O ;).

Yachtzee
11-15-2009, 11:52 PM
They are also primarily draft choices who might also be maturing and the light came on all at once. The main difference is the secondary. They have just been magnificent.

Well, some of these guys have been around for quite some time. Fanene has 5 years, Geathers 6 yrs (same NFL experience as Tank Johnson and Antwan Odom), Peko 4 years, Brandon Johnson 4 years. If you ask me, 4-6 years is a long time to mature in the NFL.

Very true on the secondary though, but I think part of the difference with the team this year is that the guys on D seem more focused on playing their role rather than trying to make the big play. The guys in the secondary are focused on covering their man rather than trying to read the QB to try and jump the route for the big interception. Likewise, the guys on the DL focused on staying in their lanes, which kept Roethlisberger contained and allowed them to close up holes on running plays. In the past, guys like Geathers and Peko had a tendency to try to run around their blocker to get to the QB. The blocker would push them right past the QB and end up opening a hole in the pocket for the QB to have a clear view downfield. It would be interesting to see what's really helped them

Yachtzee
11-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Something else I loved about the game. . . Carson Palmer remained calm throughout the game and didn't force any long throws to receivers and risk an interception. I think in years past, if the game had been this close, you might have seen Palmer try to get the big score to open up a lead. Against a team like the Steelers, that can often lead to a big turnover. Instead, Palmer seemed to work for field position and avoid the mistakes. To me that says he trusts the defense to stop the other team. On that last drive, my main concern was turning the ball over and allowing the Steelers to tie it up or take the lead. Instead, Palmer got them into field goal range so that Graham could put them up by 6. Would I have liked them to score a TD? Of course. When they chose to run it on the last play before the field goal, I was hoping Palmer would opt for a quick screen or slant to take advantage of the blitz the Steelers were showing. But for some reason, I just felt like a field goal would be okay. I just knew the D would hold.

AtomicDumpling
11-16-2009, 01:36 AM
On that last drive the Bengals were not worried about the clock. They moved the ball down the field and put points on the board. The old Bengals would have tried to work the clock down.

On the Steelers last possession the old Bengals would have gone into the Prevent Defense and allowed the Steelers to run 12 yard sideline routes one after another. The new Bengals kept doing what they had done all day -- pressure the quarterback and cover the receivers tightly.

I think they are actually learning how to win. Closing out a win against a good team is very difficult and the Bengals have blown many a late lead over the years. They seem to have more of a killer instinct this year.

Brutus
11-16-2009, 01:40 AM
On that last drive the Bengals were not worried about the clock. They moved the ball down the field and put points on the board. The old Bengals would have tried to work the clock down.

On the Steelers last possession the old Bengals would have gone into the Prevent Defense and allowed the Steelers to run 12 yard sideline routes one after another. The new Bengals kept doing what they had done all day -- pressure the quarterback and cover the receivers tightly.

I think they are actually learning how to win. Closing out a win against a good team is very difficult and the Bengals have blown many a late lead over the years. They seem to have more of a killer instinct this year.

You don't know how impressed I was to finally see a defensive coordinator not call off the dogs in that situation. That impressed me so much that Zimmer kept blitzing Roethlisberger on that last possession. Finally someone who gets it. Don't change the game plan with two minutes left.

SunDeck
11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I've never seen a Bengals team this mentally tough, and physical. Simply incredible.

David Fulcher, Eddie Edwards, Tim Krumrie say hello.
But I agree- this team is showing some nails. It's refreshing to see a defense that doesn't give up the game on the last possession. They just kept pounding away at Big Ben. He was over matched.

WVRed
11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
After watching this game, I have to say I honestly believe this team is capable of reaching the Super Bowl. A few things:

1. This entire draft class should be moved up to A+ if it hasn't already. It was already an A based on talent, but they are performing like they deserve it. Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Bernard Scott, and Morgan Trent have all been exceptional. This may be the best Bengals draft class since they drafted Carson Palmer.

2. I still think this team needs to sign another backup at RB. Scott has performed well, but I don't know how he would function as an every down back. At the rate things are going, I fear we will lose Cedric Benson before the season is over. I mentioned in another thread about signing Larry Johnson for the rest of the season. Even with the minicircus he would bring, Mike Brown has been known to roll the dice on troubled players (even Cedric Benson), and I think a fresh start splitting carries and backing up Cedric would help get his value up to where he could land a bigger contract with another team next season.

3. The Bengals definitely need to win the next three games with absolutely no letdown. It is entirely possible that even with beating the Steelers and Ravens twice and possibly beating Cleveland again that the Steelers could go 13-3 and we finish 11-5 or 12-4. I'm not looking forward to playing Minnesota and San Diego in back to back weeks, although that will be the real test.

4. Speaking of the Steelers, even though we swept them, I don't want to play them again in the playoffs. It's going to be extremely difficult beating a team three times especially when your entire season is on the line. As much as I would love to see it happen especially living in Steeler country, I really don't want to chance it.

5. Indianapolis is beatable. If we can pressure Manning for the entire game and confuse him like we did Big Ben, I would really feel good about our chances if we played them in Indy for the AFC Championship.

SeeinRed
11-16-2009, 10:08 AM
So, after a huge win by Cincinnati against the mighty Steelers you'd think the press coverage would be about how this team is different. You'd think almost all the coverage would be positive. Not in Gregg Doyel's (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12525554/bengals-home-free-only-if-ochocinco-keeps-it-buttoned-up)world.

:rolleyes: I don't know much about the guy's reporting before today, but wow. Talk about making yourself bigger than the story. That was a hack piece and a half IMHO. Chad OchoCinco hasn't exactly been the model team mate but this is just a reporter digging for something. Yeah, of course Chad was frustrated and upset. He should've been. That doesn't mean he didn't care about the outcome of the game from a team standpoint. Thats just bad journalism.

Hoosier Red
11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
No doubt Doyel's a hack. I'm not sure there is a #1 receiver on any team that doesn't think the ball should go to him every play. I'm not sure there's any #1 receiver who doesn't let the QB know that he was open every play.

yab1112
11-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I was honestly shocked that cbssports let such a bitter and spiteful piece be posted. How does this guy still have a job? There was a comment below the article that pretty much sums it up:

Sounds to me like you tried to bait him and he told you to get lost.

bucksfan2
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM

I agree with you, but I also think they did have clock in the back of their mind. They took average field position, helped by an idiotic penalty of the Steelers, and turned it into points, but also wound the clock down past the 2 minute warning and forced the Steelers to use 2 TO's.

On the 3rd and 4 right before the 2 minute warning I loved the play call. Granted a first down and TD would have been great, but it put the time in the Bengals favor. They added a Shane FG to put the lead to 6 while making sure the clock was under 2 min. With a good D it allows you to play conservative.

Hall and Joseph are very good cover corners and Trent is coming into his own as a nickle corner. I think the defensive calling was aggressive on the last possession, but the Bengals front 4 also got some push. That was huge all game long. Top that off with the Bengals knocking down passes when they didn't get to the QB, something the Bengals haven't done, ever.

It is also nice to see Michael Johnson make some plays from the DE position. He has amazing raw speed and he just blew by the tackle on the Steelers last possession. Its nice to see Big Ben get happy feet and throw bad passes.

I couldn't agree more. A lot of it has to do with defense. When you have a good, aggressive defense that has the ability to make plays, it makes the end of the games a lot easier. This is a defense built to play in December and January, something that hasn't happened in years.

traderumor
11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
So, after a huge win by Cincinnati against the mighty Steelers you'd think the press coverage would be about how this team is different. You'd think almost all the coverage would be positive. Not in Gregg Doyel's (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12525554/bengals-home-free-only-if-ochocinco-keeps-it-buttoned-up)world.

:rolleyes: I don't know much about the guy's reporting before today, but wow. Talk about making yourself bigger than the story. That was a hack piece and a half IMHO. Chad OchoCinco hasn't exactly been the model team mate but this is just a reporter digging for something. Yeah, of course Chad was frustrated and upset. He should've been. That doesn't mean he didn't care about the outcome of the game from a team standpoint. Thats just bad journalism.He seems like a better fit for a Hollywood reporting gig.

HeatherC1212
11-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Gregg Doyel is a tool and I'm glad people in the comments area called him out on his shoddy and craptastic 'reporting skills'. Geesh, get a clue idiot. :thumbdown

That was a GREAT win yesterday and the thing that makes it even greater is how the team has pretty much taken the win, savored some happy moments about it, and finally just put it in their back pocket and moved their focus on to their next opponent. :thumbup:

cincrazy
11-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Pay no attention to what you read from Doyel. He's a complete jackass that uses his forum in the national media to grind axes. He's a joke of a writer, and sportsline.com is a joke of a website for running him and Mike Freeman out there. They're both a joke.

macro
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Funny video featuring Terry Bradshaw. Keep watching - it's not just a clip from the Fox pregame show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xW7EVloJA

GIDP
11-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I love Doyel because he trolls people so hard and people never catch on.

HeatherC1212
11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
That video is awesome but I wish it had Terry's post game comments at the end where he apparently had to eat a lot of crow, LOL ;) :laugh:

Matt700wlw
11-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I remember when Doyel worked with Mo on 1530 Homer. It didn't last long for obvious reasons.

I was running Lance's show at the time, when he filled in, and basically got his "audition." I gave the PD positive reviews on how he did...I felt his approach was not the typical approach, and thought it could work. I didn't agree with most of what he said, but I felt I was objective in my thoughts at the time.

It didn't take long for everybody to realize what a joke he was. Him getting fired was justified.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I remember when Doyel worked with Mo on 1530 Homer. It didn't last long for obvious reasons.

I was running Lance's show at the time, when he filled in, and basically got his "audition." I gave the PD positive reviews on how he did...I felt his approach was not the typical approach, and thought it could work. I didn't agree with most of what he said, but I felt I was objective in my thoughts at the time.

It didn't take long for everybody to realize what a joke he was. Him getting fired was justified.

I think it really was because everyone who works with Mo gets fired. :laugh:

Seriously hes like the kiss of death if you get paired up with him it seems.

Matt700wlw
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
:laugh:

I think it's more the company than anything :)

GIDP
11-16-2009, 09:48 PM
:laugh:

I think it's more the company than anything :)
:)