PDA

View Full Version : ESPN News Reporting Larry Johnson to sign with Bengals

Joseph
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
No terms, no details, just a blurb across the bottom of the screen/ticker.

Sounds like Ced may be more hurt than initially diagnosed.

Hoosier Red
11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Okay Larry, lets' see if you can check the ego at the door.
We're quite welcoming to anyone who helps the Bengals win.

yab1112
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Does a roster move need to be made? What happens when Benson is ready to come back?

GIDP
11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Benson has to be hurt more than they are letting on because I really dont see them carrying Scott, Leonard, Benson, and Johnson.

traderumor
11-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on Benson's condition. Smoke was rising on this tranx before the game. Either way, this is good news.

cincrazy
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Benson is fine, it's already been reported he expects to go next week. This is purely for depth issues, and clearly gives Benson more time to get to 100%.

Caveat Emperor
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Much has been made of the great locker room chemistry and team-first mentality of the Bengals this season. They play hard on Sundays and they play together as a team.

So what does the brain-trust do?

They sign a me-first guy with more baggage than a 757. In a season that has been anything but, this move is Typical Bengals (tm).

GIDP
11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I dont see them dropping a RB to bring in Johnson. Makes you wonder who they would drop.

Fui again and move Leonard to back up FB? Very possible.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Baggage is nothing. I trust this locker room to shut that man down. Every position has a very good leader on it so baggage doesnt bother me.

cincrazy
11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Much has been made of the great locker room chemistry and team-first mentality of the Bengals this season. They play hard on Sundays and they play together as a team.

They sign a me-first guy with more baggage than a 757. In a season that has been anything but, this move is Typical Bengals (tm).

I see your point, but I disagree. This locker room is completely different from a few years ago. If Johnson is a problem, they'll drop him in a heartbeat. But this guy NEEDS us, and he's going to bust his butt to contribute to a winning team so that he can get a contract next year. It's a good move IMO. I don't like Johnson, I think he's scum, but it's a bottom line business, and the bottom line is wins.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
They are also probably signing him because Scott cant carry a load like a NFL starter can, and if Benson gets nicked then we need someone who has proven the ability to take a beating for the good of the team.

Johnson and Benson seem to be very similar runners.

cincrazy
11-16-2009, 01:47 PM
They are also probably signing him because Scott cant carry a load like a NFL starter can, and if Benson gets nicked then we need someone who has proven the ability to take a beating for the good of the team.

Johnson and Benson seem to be very similar runners.

Agreed completely. Scott can still be a very valuable contributor to the team, but moreso as a kick returner/receiver. He's not the kind of guy that can run between the tackles, not at this stage anyways.

But if you add Johnson to Benson and Scott, then you have two workhorse backs, and another back that can get outside and do MAJOR damage.

The more I think about this move, the more I love it.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Agreed completely. Scott can still be a very valuable contributor to the team, but moreso as a kick returner/receiver. He's not the kind of guy that can run between the tackles, not at this stage anyways.

But if you add Johnson to Benson and Scott, then you have two workhorse backs, and another back that can get outside and do MAJOR damage.

The more I think about this move, the more I love it.

Yea I'm not knocking Scott but you can just tell he doesnt have a NFL starter body / endurance right now. You can see that hes a rookie and not prepared to have big linemen laying on him after every carry. I think he can turn into that but he just cant handle the pounding that NFL teams need at the RB.

Its just smart to bring in someone like LJ who even with the baggage is going to be one of the best free agents you are going to pick up in the middle of a season at this point.

Not to mention hes basically free for us and we can cut him lose at any moment and after he is signed we pretty much own him because he knows he cant pull a stunt like he was doing in KC.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 01:54 PM
http://twitter.com/OGOchoCinco

your source for all the breaking news :laugh:

OCNN BREAKING NEWS: Larry Johnson hasn't signed with the Bengals, when and if it does happen ill tweet the ROC is n building

DTCromer
11-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm not as concerned about team chemistry as I with him just sucking.

traderumor
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM

They sign a me-first guy with more baggage than a 757. In a season that has been anything but, this move is Typical Bengals (tm).Benson was signed when no one was paying attention because the Bengals had another losing season going on last year, but the same could easily be said of him in his time with the Bears. He was a bumbling drunk home playing video games. Typical Bengals they say.

Chris Henry? Was there any bigger running joke? Typical Bengals they say. Now, he is a quiet member of a good team.

CTA513
11-16-2009, 02:00 PM
With Bensons injury they needed to add a RB that could carry the load and Johnson was the best available.
I don't know if he can still be a good RB but this is better then seeing Benson try to rush back from his injury only to get hurt even worse.

bucksfan2
11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
With Bensons injury they needed to add a RB that could carry the load and Johnson was the best available.
I don't know if he can still be a good RB but this is better then seeing Benson try to rush back from his injury only to get hurt even worse.

Same things were said about Benson last season. Although Benson is a few years younger and didn't have the mileage that Johnson does. I like the move, its for a pro rated version of the league minimum, and Johnson should come in motivated. If he acts up, boot him. Right now its injury insurance for Benson. I like Scott, but as mentioned above he isn't an ever snap RB just yet.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Marvin just pretty much confirmed that they are looking and from the tone it sounded like they are going to bring him in.

He told Larry that he will have zero impact on any of the backs they have, and will only be used as a 4th RB and if he's even active he would be expected to do everything a 4th running back would do.

Sounds like Marvin said if you want to come here you better expect to check the ego at the door and be happy that you are here. The tone he talked about Larry was that I'm not going to deal with your crap but if you want to be here we will give you a very solid look and welcome you.

camisadelgolf
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I think this means that Fui Vakapuna will be put on waivers again. Brian Leonard can fill in if needed, and Vakapuna has been battling injury anyway. The Bengals would be in real trouble of Benson went down, so having LJ as depth could potentially be a very good move.

yab1112
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
A commenter on profootballtalk.com had a great point. We still have the Chiefs, Raiders and Chargers left on the schedule, teams LJ knows pretty well. Even if his role on the field is limited, his knowledge of those teams could be a big help (Not that we need it against the Raiders and Chiefs :D)

GIDP
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I think this means that Fui Vakapuna will be put on waivers again. Brian Leonard can fill in if needed, and Vakapuna has been battling injury anyway. The Bengals would be in real trouble of Benson went down, so having LJ as depth could potentially be a very good move.

I think it could be koostra because andre smith is available.

texasdave
11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Just call Larry Johnson - Continental. Baggage comes along for the ride free of charge.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Bengals are currently signing him according to Jay Glazer

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/5776957831

macro
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Here's some insight from Marvin (press conference video):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8144058d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Operator
11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I know Marvin is making a great effort to keep the 3 established RB's from feeling threatened, but I wouldn't hesitate to play him against Oakland.

It would allow Benson to rest this week. It would also allow Scott and Leonard to stay in their roles that they are excelling in. Scott is a great change of pace and Leonard is money on a 3rd down.

I say beat Larry up while Benson is getting healthy and then say "thanks, now hit the bench" when Ced is ready to take back full duties.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
chad johnson said they signed him

http://twitter.com/OGOchoCinco/status/5778746449

CTA513
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
If hes signed then he needs to get with Palmer and work all week on handoffs.
The other RBs are used to Palmer only handing off with his right hand but it could be problems for someone thats not used to it.

TC81190
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Same thing was said about Benson at the time that we signed him. The guy might be hungry to redeem himself. Who knows.

Matt700wlw
11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I think the Bengals deserve the benefit of the doubt. Also, it's amazing what winning can do to a "malcontent" - I'm fine with them bringing him in. He has something to prove.

If Larry Johnson doesn't want to come in here and help a good team make a run at the Super Bowl, then he can be cut as easily as he's signed.

He'll only be making the league minimum, I believe.

WVRed
11-16-2009, 10:29 PM
And the best part, LJ gets to face his former team in week 16. :)

Remember when the Pats traded for Randy Moss? I see this having a similar impact.

GIDP
11-16-2009, 10:42 PM
If hes coming in under the impression that hes not going to be given anything I already have gained some respect for him. He could have probably signed with a handful of other clubs that would easily guarantee him reps but instead he's coming here where everyone knows he isnt going to take over for Benson and that we have a pretty decent back up in Scott and a pretty good 3rd down guy in Leonard.

It tells me he wants to prove himself and work hard and be a part of a winning team and no matter what it takes he will do it, even if that requires him to be a 4th back and a special teamer at 1st.

Now lets just see if thats true or if he's just dumb and will piss this chance away.

The Operator
11-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Ugh. Really? Already?

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1102

Matt700wlw
11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
interesting. no issues, yet, in my book.

WebScorpion
11-17-2009, 02:29 AM
If hes coming in under the impression that hes not going to be given anything I already have gained some respect for him. He could have probably signed with a handful of other clubs that would easily guarantee him reps but instead he's coming here where everyone knows he isnt going to take over for Benson and that we have a pretty decent back up in Scott and a pretty good 3rd down guy in Leonard.

It tells me he wants to prove himself and work hard and be a part of a winning team and no matter what it takes he will do it, even if that requires him to be a 4th back and a special teamer at 1st.

Now lets just see if thats true or if he's just dumb and will piss this chance away.

He picked the Bengals because it gives him 5 weeks to establish himself before Kansas City comes to town on the Sunday after Christmas. He's gonna be asking Santa for a start.

One thing this may do is give us a very dangerous weapon for a few Wildcat plays...with LJ and Ced in the backfield, who will the defense key on? Worth a thought... ;)

SunDeck
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I just hope Carson and Co. have a little Come to Jesus meeting with Larry and tell him they were playoff bound before he came along.

Hoosier Red
11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like this move. Mike Brown and Marvin have really earned a lot of trust with the way they've handled this year(from the last few games of last year.)

Old ways: Carson was healthy enough to play at 70-75% for the last week so he would play in order to get the ticket buying public excited.
New ways: Carson needed the extra time to guarantee 100% health, so Carson sat.

Old ways: Andre Smith signed a gigantic contract, he should be playing.
New ways: Dennis Roland(undrafted FA) is playing best so he starts, if Andre Smith moves ahead of Anthony Collins he'll be on the active roster.

Old ways: Chase Coffman was drafted in the 3rd round he should be playing.
New ways: He's third on the depth chart and doesn't play special teams, he sits on the inactives until one of those two things changes.

Old ways: Jerome Simpson was drafted in the 2nd round, time to bring him in and show what he can do.
New ways: Maurice Purify is ready to contribute right away so we'll make the necessary roster moves and make it work.

Old ways: We can't bring in Larry Johnson, Bernard Scott or Cedric Benson. These guys have rap sheets and attitude problems, our fans will never stand for it. Our locker room can't handle the distractions.

New ways: Just win baby. If you have talent and come in with the right attitude, we'll see what you can do.

traderumor
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like this move. Mike Brown and Marvin have really earned a lot of trust with the way they've handled this year(from the last few games of last year.)

Old ways: Carson was healthy enough to play at 70-75% for the last week so he would play in order to get the ticket buying public excited.

New ways: Dennis Roland(undrafted FA) is playing best so he starts, if Andre Smith moves ahead of Anthony Collins he'll be on the active roster.

New ways: He's third on the depth chart and doesn't play special teams, he sits on the inactives until one of those two things changes.

Old ways: Jerome Simpson was drafted in the 2nd round, time to bring him in and show what he can do.
New ways: Maurice Purify is ready to contribute right away so we'll make the necessary roster moves and make it work.

Old ways: We can't bring in Larry Johnson, Bernard Scott or Cedric Benson. These guys have rap sheets and attitude problems, our fans will never stand for it. Our locker room can't handle the distractions.

New ways: Just win baby. If you have talent and come in with the right attitude, we'll see what you can do.I am with you until the last one. They have been drafting and signing character issue guys all along, to the chagrin of many fans (not me, btw). They are currently on a good run with those types working out and staying out of trouble, but there is no change of philosophy here, just change in fortune. Maybe they have some kind of support system in place that has improved this, but its also likely that they just have been fortunate.

Brutus
11-17-2009, 01:23 PM

New ways: Just win baby. If you have talent and come in with the right attitude, we'll see what you can do.

You left out the most important one (and the one that is strangest to say):

Larry Johnson signed with the Bengals because they give him the best chance of winning immediately.

(Can't believe I just typed those words)

Hoosier Red
11-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe they have some kind of support system in place that has improved this, but its also likely that they just have been fortunate.

They do have a new and improved support system in place. It's called winning. Winning makes everyone better leaders. Quite honestly I never bought the character argument too much anyways, what they had was a bunch of immature and stupid guys. They got rid of the majority that was only stupid and let the other guys mature enough. Now there's enough mature veterans on the team that have the power to either make Larry Johnson step in line or get out of the way.

GIDP
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Larry Johnson presser is at 3