PDA

View Full Version : Will Bengals success pressure Castellini to spend more money?

Krawhitham
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I think so

mattfeet
11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
I personally don't see it. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sense.

Im a huge Steelers fan, but if the Bengals doing well is bait enough for 'ole Bobbo to spend some money and build us a good team, then so be it. Do I think the Bengals doing well is reason for the Bengals owners to spend more money, absolutely; but again, that's a given. I believe them to be separate entities that really, and unfortunately, don't have a direct correlation with how well the other team plays.

-Matt

mroby85
11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I hope so, but I don't really see how the two would relate.

bounty37h
11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
define success.

mroby85
11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
7-2 leading the AFC North, should be 8-1 without a fluke loss to Denver?
Leading the NFL in quality wins? lol

JayBruceFan
11-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Sell the Reds to Mike Brown

fewfirstchoice
11-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Nothing will make this Reds ownership spend money. They preach they want to win, and win now. But they have done nothing to prove it. I wonder if they know that spending more money would bring them back more profit. A winning team is a money making team.

The Operator
11-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Bob has been saying since the day he took over that "the losing stops now" and "we're just not going to lose anymore" and they're "going to bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati."

Either he's full of it, or he just doesn't know how to accomplish what he's promised. Or both. But I'll believe it when I see in regard to Bob C. actually putting the payroll in a truly competitive range.

Each year it seems more and more like the only way he'll actually "bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati" is if he gets some kind of neutral site system set up for The World Series and Cincinnati gets to host part of it. It might not be The Reds playing championship baseball, but who would we Reds fans be to quibble over details? ;)

KiefMoon
11-20-2009, 02:30 AM
At some point we as Reds fans need to stop putting so much blame on ownership and start taking responsibilty as the ticket buying public!! The Selignomics of MLB in 2010 demand it. Look Im just as sick of losing as you guys but Castellini/Jocketty have laid a tremendous foundation of young players and you guys do is complain they dont do enough!? He brings a top flight closer yet everyone says its a waste of cash, he brings in a club house leader yet people complain hes too expensive. You want ownership to spend cash but when they do you complain theyre cheap? Isnt that a little hypocritical? If you as a fan wont part with your cash why should he?

The Operator
11-20-2009, 04:03 AM
I'm not gonna shell out my hard earned money to watch a team that hasn't been above .500 since the turn of the century. Ain't gonna happen.

They've gotta earn it, not the other way around.

will5979
11-20-2009, 07:57 AM
No no and no.

It didn't pressure them in 2005, and barring the (intentional) injury to Carson Palmer in the playoffs, who knows how far that team would have gone. Point is in January 2006 for the first time since October 1995 the city of Cincinnati hosted a playoff game, and the Reds didn't seem to act like it hurt their pride one bit. Granted the following baseball season the Reds had the most wins since 2000 and was in the race until the final weekend, but that was only because the Cards struggled during the regular season and won only 83, but they did get hot when it mattered.

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 08:00 AM
...and barring the (intentional)...

:rolleyes:

Im sure his college roommate really was attempting to nearly end Carson's career. Yes, it was a devastating injury that costs the Bengals a likely playoff win, but injuries happen, and that was just a unfortunate circumstance.

-Matt

Vottomatic
11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Carson got Kimo'd. Aren't the Steelers considered the dirtiest team in NFL. Wasn't Hines Ward recently voted the dirtiest player by his peers?

Anyway, there is no relationship between how much the Bengals win and how much the Reds spend.

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 09:33 AM
7-2 leading the AFC North, should be 8-1 without a fluke loss to Denver?
Leading the NFL in quality wins? lol

I guess I want to see some post season success, and more then a fly by season here and there to consider success ;) Just bustin with ya Moby, I know you kicked our arsse twice this year :thumbdown:bang::cry::bash:.
Your OSU boys gave us a good second half last night by the way, thought we were going to let that one get away...

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
At some point we as Reds fans need to stop putting so much blame on ownership and start taking responsibilty as the ticket buying public!! The Selignomics of MLB in 2010 demand it. Look Im just as sick of losing as you guys but Castellini/Jocketty have laid a tremendous foundation of young players and you guys do is complain they dont do enough!? He brings a top flight closer yet everyone says its a waste of cash, he brings in a club house leader yet people complain hes too expensive. You want ownership to spend cash but when they do you complain theyre cheap? Isnt that a little hypocritical? If you as a fan wont part with your cash why should he?

Hi Bob, hope you have a good weekend!

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Carson got Kimo'd. Aren't the Steelers considered the dirtiest team in NFL. Wasn't Hines Ward recently voted the dirtiest player by his peers?

Anyway, there is no relationship between how much the Bengals win and how much the Reds spend.

Wahhhhh :cry:

mroby85
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Haha, I was just assuming in Cincinnati we've accepted regular season as being successful at this point, lol. I don't follow bball much, but UNC looked good last night, They were puttin it on OSU for most of the game.

As for the Kimo injury, that was an intentional hit they put on Palmer, and Kimo got the game ball after the game, which shows how classless they are even if it wasn't intentional.

tobttr
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Just now read all the replies to this thread. It's kind of interesting how this has taken on the Steeler bashing & such, but that's not really too important.
I really wanted to see how many ways exist to say "no" in response to the original question.

will5979
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
As for the Kimo injury, that was an intentional hit they put on Palmer, and Kimo got the game ball after the game, which shows how classless they are even if it wasn't intentional.

Oh yeah, they knew that the only way to beat the Bengals was to "neutralize" Palmer, well they did it pretty well.

mroby85
11-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Agreed, I can't say I wouldn't love Pittsburgh's style if I was a fan of them, but being a fan of the team they bully every year, I can't stand them, lol. Personalities like Roethlisberger, and Hines Ward don't make them more endearing either. It's really not just that they beat the Bengals that makes me dislike them though, it's everything about them. I have no issues with Baltimore. Obviously, I root against them, but they play clean football. The hit Brandon Johnson put on Hines Ward away from the ball Sunday was priceless, lol.

The Operator
11-20-2009, 12:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Im sure his college roommate really was attempting to nearly end Carson's career. Yes, it was a devastating injury that costs the Bengals a likely playoff win, but injuries happen, and that was just a unfortunate circumstance.

-Matt

Carson's college roommate was Troy Polamalu, who had nothing to do with the hit. The hit was by Kimo von-however you spell it and it was after he threw the football and would not let go of his knee. It's easy to say "waahhh" when you're on the other side but had The Bengals taken out Roethlisberger on a similar play and then gone on to win The Super Bowl, we'd have never heard the end of it.

mroby85
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Carson's college roommate was Troy Polamalu, who had nothing to do with the hit. The hit was by Kimo von-however you spell it and it was after he threw the football and would not let go of his knee. It's easy to say "waahhh" when you're on the other side but had The Bengals taken out Roethlisberger on a similar play and then gone on to win The Super Bowl, we'd have never heard the end of it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Not to mention that team was entirely built around Palmer and quick strike offense.

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I just can't believe people are still dwelling on this. Yes, it was VERY unfortunate, and I hate that it happened to such a nice guy and exceptional QB, but it's football, people get hurt.

As per a CINCINNATI ENQUIRER article, I submit the following:

"As Palmer lay on the turf before being taken off on a cart, several Bengals players could be seen yelling toward the Steelers' huddle. But von Oelhoffen said he didn't hear any remarks directed toward him, and at least one Bengals player — Pro Bowl tackle Willie Anderson— defended him after the game.

"I know Kimo. He's not a dirty player," Anderson said of von Oelhoffen, who played for the Bengals from 1994-99 before moving to Pittsburgh for the chance to become a starter. "Guys were infuriated, but your first reaction is to defend your player. It wasn't a dirty play."

Von Oelhoffen said the injury affected his own play for at least a quarter.

"I'm not gonna lie, it affected me a little bit," von Oelhoffen said. "That kid deserved a shot to play in this game. It's always horrible when somebody gets hurt. We're all football players — we're together, we compete against each other, but we're together."

Asked what he was trying to do on the play, von Oelhoffen said, "Sack the quarterback. What else?"

Von Oelhoffen said he didn't personally apologize to Palmer because he didn't see him after he left the field.

"How would it affect you if you had just torn one of the most promising quarterback's knees out? You do not like to see that happen. But he'll rebound," von Oelhoffen said. "He's young and he's going to be around for a long time. ... I hope he gets better because he's a great player."

When Marvin Lewis, Willie Anderson, and Carson Palmer aren't dwelling on it making them lose the Super Bowl, you shouldn't either. It's terrible it happened, but grow up a little, mk?

-Matt

will5979
11-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I just can't believe people are still dwelling on this. Yes, it was VERY unfortunate, and I hate that it happened to such a nice guy and exceptional QB, but it's football, people get hurt.

As per a CINCINNATI ENQUIRER article, I submit the following:

"As Palmer lay on the turf before being taken off on a cart, several Bengals players could be seen yelling toward the Steelers' huddle. But von Oelhoffen said he didn't hear any remarks directed toward him, and at least one Bengals player — Pro Bowl tackle Willie Anderson— defended him after the game.

"I know Kimo. He's not a dirty player," Anderson said of von Oelhoffen, who played for the Bengals from 1994-99 before moving to Pittsburgh for the chance to become a starter. "Guys were infuriated, but your first reaction is to defend your player. It wasn't a dirty play."

Von Oelhoffen said the injury affected his own play for at least a quarter.

"I'm not gonna lie, it affected me a little bit," von Oelhoffen said. "That kid deserved a shot to play in this game. It's always horrible when somebody gets hurt. We're all football players — we're together, we compete against each other, but we're together."

Asked what he was trying to do on the play, von Oelhoffen said, "Sack the quarterback. What else?"

Von Oelhoffen said he didn't personally apologize to Palmer because he didn't see him after he left the field.

"How would it affect you if you had just torn one of the most promising quarterback's knees out? You do not like to see that happen. But he'll rebound," von Oelhoffen said. "He's young and he's going to be around for a long time. ... I hope he gets better because he's a great player."

When Marvin Lewis, Willie Anderson, and Carson Palmer aren't dwelling on it making them lose the Super Bowl, you shouldn't either. It's terrible it happened, but grow up a little, mk?

-Matt

Come back with a valid argument after you've had some more post there noob!

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Agreed, I can't say I wouldn't love Pittsburgh's style if I was a fan of them, but being a fan of the team they bully every year, I can't stand them, lol. Personalities like Roethlisberger, and Hines Ward don't make them more endearing either. It's really not just that they beat the Bengals that makes me dislike them though, it's everything about them. I have no issues with Baltimore. Obviously, I root against them, but they play clean football. The hit Brandon Johnson put on Hines Ward away from the ball Sunday was priceless, lol.

Yeha, they only shoot you after gametime :)? I was talking to Ricky Proehl the other day about Hines getting that vote from other players, and he laughed calling it the biggest joke, saying the ones who voted that way are such puzz's cause they want to hit but are scared to get hit, called them wimps on D cause they dont have the balls to take a hit.

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Thats the point I was making, it is cause its against "your" side that it was bad, reverse it, and it was clean I would imagine. And besides, we all know the Bengals would never win a super bpowl ;)

will5979
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
besides, we all know the Bengals would never win a super bpowl ;)

Wait 2 1/2 more month there buddy! :beerme:

WHO-DEY

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Come back with a valid argument after you've had some more post there noob!

What do post #'s have to do with facts?

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Wait 2 1/2 more month there buddy! :beerme:

WHO-DEY

Haha, I hear ya man! :beerme: I dont think this is Steelers year, so would be great if Bengals get it if they cant IMO, I dont have a thing against the Bengals.

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Haha, I hear ya man! :beerme: I dont think this is Steelers year, so would be great if Bengals get it if they cant IMO, I dont have a thing against the Bengals.

I feel the same way. I root against the Bengals when they're playing the Steelers, but if Pburgh doesnt make the playoffs, itd be cool for Cincinnati to do well. I feel the same way about any team in our division if Pburgh is out of the race. Always nice when another team can pick up the slack of the other 3. Same goes with MLB, I was pulling hard for the 'Cards to win it all this year.

will5979- ZOMG IM NEW TO A WEBSITE SO EVERYTHING I SAY IS BASELESS IRRELEVANCE. :rolleyes:

-Matt

The Operator
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM

-Matt

I think the fact that they installed a new rule about sacking quarterbacks the very next year shows you just what kind of hit it was, I don't care what The Bengals said after the game.

And how am I the one that needs to grow up? I simply stated that you wouldn't see it the same way if it had happened to YOUR young franchise quarterback in a playoff game.

You've been the one posting defensively and dropping "mmk"-bombs in this thread so I think you should do a little growing up of your own before you go giving advice to others about maturity.

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Alright, here goes.

I am not a Bengal hater nor will I EVER wish ill upon someone, no matter the circumstances. Think what you want about me, I really couldn't care less. If it happened to Big Ben, it would have sucked, but we had a backup QB, so we would've done our best to continue playing. I fail to see how you telling me, "...that you wouldn't see it the same way if it had happened to YOUR young franchise quarterback in a playoff game." is fuel for the fire? I would have been VERY bummed that it happened, but it's sports. These guys are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a sport in which they KNOW are consequences and calculated risks. They have the best medical care available to them at a moment's notice, which is absolutely necessary and warranted IMO.

I didn't mean to come in here and start crap, and Im sure there may be some repercussion of all this, but so be it. You telling me to "do a little growing up of your own before you go giving advice to others about maturity.", need to a take a step back and listen to yourself. Blaming someone outright for a grey-area hit, that you're sure lost the Bengals the superbowl isn't the most mature thing to do either, now is it?

We'll cordially agree to disagree. However I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt I would NOT still be dwelling on this fact nearly 4 years after it happened. Accidents happen, forgive and forget, move on, and be on your way.

Take care,
Matt

mroby85
11-20-2009, 02:21 PM
You would dwell on it 4 years later if you waited 20 years for that day when they had a playoff game, trust me, lol. It's hard to understand a Bengals fan as a Steelers fan. Again, I'm not dissing you, but it's not really easy to understand. Being an Ohio State fan, who I consider similar to Pittsburgh in terms of success, it's easier to let things go with them, because you feel confident there may be another opportunity for them soon. I felt the same way about Pittsburgh you do about Cincinnati now before that hit. I rooted for them in the playoffs several times. Hines Ward is a guy you love if he's on your team, and hate if he's not. That being said it's nothing against you as a steelers fan. If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be saying the same things you are.

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Well at least you're not telling me that I need to mature a bit. :beerme:

-Matt

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
I think the fact that they installed a new rule about sacking quarterbacks the very next year shows you just what kind of hit it was, I don't care what The Bengals said after the game.

And how am I the one that needs to grow up? I simply stated that you wouldn't see it the same way if it had happened to YOUR young franchise quarterback in a playoff game.

You've been the one posting defensively and dropping "mmk"-bombs in this thread so I think you should do a little growing up of your own before you go giving advice to others about maturity.

Can I ignorantly ask what a mmk bomb is?

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 03:09 PM

:laugh:

bounty37h
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
i was actually serious, maybe its just friday and my brain has shut down on the obvious (also know I have to go home to the inlaws, so thats my focus right now)

The Operator
11-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I didn't mean to come in here and start crap, and Im sure there may be some repercussion of all this, but so be it. You telling me to "do a little growing up of your own before you go giving advice to others about maturity.", need to a take a step back and listen to yourself. Blaming someone outright for a grey-area hit, that you're sure lost the Bengals the superbowl isn't the most mature thing to do either, now is it?

I never said that hit cost The Bengals the Super Bowl. It most definitely DID cost them that game, though. Without a doubt.

We'll cordially agree to disagree. However I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt I would NOT still be dwelling on this fact nearly 4 years after it happened. Accidents happen, forgive and forget, move on, and be on your way.

As another poster said, that may be easy for you to say since not only did it not happen to your team but your team also had 4 Super Bowl rings at the time, as well as 6 now. A Steelers fan has no idea, none whatsoever what it is like to be a Bengals fan. To finally have a franchise QB and a team in the playoffs, only to watch it literally ripped to shreds. No Steelers fan can ever put themselves in that position even if they try.

I really don't have a personal problem with you at all. I was merely trying to point out how I felt and you were the one who originally told me I needed to grow up, which, IMO, was completely unwarranted and yet now you're criticizing me for telling you to do the same.

The Operator
11-20-2009, 03:53 PM

It's really just an antagonizing method of posting. Similar to things like "O RLY?" and "/fail", stuff like that.

mattfeet
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I really don't have a personal problem with you at all. I was merely trying to point out how I felt and you were the one who originally told me I needed to grow up, which, IMO, was completely unwarranted and yet now you're criticizing me for telling you to do the same.

:p:

-Matt

bounty37h
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
It's really just an antagonizing method of posting. Similar to things like "O RLY?" and "/fail", stuff like that.

Ah, so like a SouthPark "Mmmmm-kay" :)

BlastFurnace
11-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Haha, I was just assuming in Cincinnati we've accepted regular season as being successful at this point, lol. I don't follow bball much, but UNC looked good last night, They were puttin it on OSU for most of the game.

Nothing but another jealous post about the Steelers. It was not an intentional hit. Even your own radio broadcasters said that after it happened.

BlastFurnace
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I never said that hit cost The Bengals the Super Bowl. It most definitely DID cost them that game, though. Without a doubt.

Oh yeah..it was a definite win for the Bengals. We should know by how many big game victories Carson has had over the years....lol.

Kingspoint
11-24-2009, 08:53 PM
First, the Bengals need to find success. Half a season at 7-3 is not success. Let's see what their record is over the next 9 to 10 games. (With a bye, a season lasts 19 games for those who go to the SuperBowl, 20 games without a bye.) Anybody can go 7-3 in the 1st 10 games (anyone except the Bengals upon extremely rare occasions).

Any success they may experience will go away when Zimmer leaves. It's too bad Mike Brown didn't actually know what he was doing when he hired Zimmer. He would have hired him on for 5 years instead of the joke of a 2-year contract they did agree on.

Kingspoint
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Btw, the problem isn't the willingness to spend the money.

It's the nimrod ownership decision to bring his friends in as managers (Dusty and Walt).

Everything was perfect until those two things happened.

mattfeet
11-25-2009, 08:57 AM
I personally don't think bringing in Walt was a bad move. Correct me if Im wrong, (only been a die-hard Reds fan for 3-4 years now), but did Walt not do great things in StL or was that due to a predecessor that Im not aware of.

Now Dusty, I wouldnt mind shipping him out of Ohio on the first Anderson Ferry that comes along this morning.

-Matt

Kingspoint
11-26-2009, 12:02 AM
I personally don't think bringing in Walt was a bad move. Correct me if Im wrong, (only been a die-hard Reds fan for 3-4 years now), but did Walt not do great things in StL or was that due to a predecessor that Im not aware of.

Now Dusty, I wouldnt mind shipping him out of Ohio on the first Anderson Ferry that comes along this morning.

-Matt

Walt can do well with unlimited money to spend.

I also feel that he managed the minor league system well and handled player moves well so far.

But, he buried this franchise by not growing a pair and jettisoning Willy Taveras before the season began.

There are just some moves that are inexcusable.

The REDS are a joke of a franchise right now.

There's 3 guys, Castellini, Walt, and Baker playing with this franchise like it's their personal toy, and damn the fans. They only care about themselves looking good at the Country Clubs and other places where millionaires meet.

If they cared one iota about winning, Willy Taveras would not have been wearing a REDS' uniform last year (and Corey Patterson wouldn't have worn one the year before).

I firmly believe that Wayne Krivsky wanted to get rid of Corey Patterson against the wishes of Dusty Baker, and it cost Krivsky his job.

Walt also screwed up the Rolen/Stewart deal big time, setting the club 2 steps backwards.

BurgervilleBuck
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Carson got Kimo'd. Aren't the Steelers considered the dirtiest team in NFL.
Will Ben Gals fans please, please, please get off of this? Palmer's knee injury was 100% Eric Steinbach fault. He whiffed on von Oelhoffen and let him get to Palmer.

As for whether the Bengals' success will lead to the Reds spending, I hardly think so. You can't spend what you don't have (or don't want to spend)