PDA

View Full Version : UD Flyers Basketball 2009-10

jimbo
11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Figured I'd start a thread for Flyers basketball as this could end up being a very special season. UD knocked off #19 Georgia Tech. today and face #6 Villanova tomorrow.

I really love what BG is doing for this program. He also has a highly rated recruiting class coming in next year. Hopefully, there are some other Flyer fans here.

OSUredsFAN
11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm a UD fan. The game tomorrow is a big test just as to where the program is. I know the past really means nothing, but UD has won its past 4 or so games verse Big East opponents.

jimbo
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm a UD fan. The game tomorrow is a big test just as to where the program is. I know the past really means nothing, but UD has won its past 4 or so games verse Big East opponents.

They are 7-2 against BCS conference teams in the past 3 seasons. Hopefully, 8-2 after today.

DaytonFlyer
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Hopefully, it's going well. I am DVR'ing it, hope not to be disappointed after work tonight!

reds1869
11-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm a big XU fan, but I want UD to knock off as many high profile opponents as possible. The A-10 needs both XU and UD to be elite teams, and we just might see it this season. It could be a wild ride this winter.

Puffy
11-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Dayton is good. They gave Nova all they could handle. The Atlantic 10 is going to be real good this year, which can only help come tourney time

OSUredsFAN
11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Today they play Kansas State. I feel this game is more important than the Nova game. Getting 2 wins down there vs 3 "bcs" schools would be huge.

HBP
11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Disappointing to lose to K St. even though it looks like they could have a good year

Boston Red
11-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Disappointing loss for Dayton yesterday. The rest of their non-conference schedule is awful, so they needed to beat K-State.

jimbo
11-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Disappointing loss for Dayton yesterday. The rest of their non-conference schedule is awful, so they needed to beat K-State.

I don't think they "needed" to beat them. They don't really have any marquee names in the rest of their non-con, but there are a few solid teams in there.

Way to early for a certain game to be claimed as a make or break point in the season. The Flyers will be just fine.

OSUredsFAN
01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Tomorrow should be a really good game. UD hasn't beaten X in cincy since 1981, just maybe they can end that streak!

Boston Red
01-15-2010, 08:39 PM
K-State turns out to be a lot better than I was giving them credit for back then. It was still an important game for UD considering the relative weakness of the rest of their non-conference schedule (UNM was a nice surprise that seems to be fading a bit). I'd definitely like to see the Jimmy Carter streak continue tomorrow.

reds1869
01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
27 minutes till tip off...should be a battle!

Boston Red
01-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Great game, but 25 in a row now. Nice.

reds1869
01-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Great game, Flyer fans. I look forward to our next matchup in Dayton. Your guys played hard but came up just short. We have the two best teams in the A-10, hands down and we'll probably play twice more. But don't get used to the compliments. :)

guttle11
01-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Rob Lowery just cannot control himself on offense. I'm certainly not going to be "that" guy and pin a loss on one player, but his quick shots without regard to pretty much anything else certainly didn't help. As a PG he has to know better. When he is under control he can be very good, but when he's not, he has performances like today.

Congrats X fans. Can't wait for the rematch. At home, UD should win that one.

Boston Red
01-16-2010, 04:09 PM
At home, UD should win that one.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree. Crawford might have to really go off for Xavier to get that one.

reds1869
01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, I tend to agree. Crawford might have to really go off for Xavier to get that one.

Even though I hope it's not the case, I tend to agree as well. I foresee a very similar encounter to today's.

jimbo
02-07-2010, 02:40 AM
What? Nobody is mentioning the beatdown UD put on xavier?

Oh, what a glorious day! ;)

reds1869
02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
What? Nobody is mentioning the beatdown UD put on xavier?

Oh, what a glorious day! ;)

Congrats, Flyer Faithful. That was really tough to take yesterday. Now we know what you've felt like for the past several decades. ;)

Boston Red
02-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Flyers are only a game back of Xavier now.

jimbo
02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Congrats, Flyer Faithful. That was really tough to take yesterday. Now we know what you've felt like for the past several decades. ;)

Haha.....touche.

I know, we've pretty much stunk it up against xavier for the past decade or so, but I'm going to take some time to enjoy this one. Besides, I like looking forward instead of backwards, and I really do feel that the gap between the two programs has closed considerably. I don't go into this game anymore feeling like the Flyers have no chance, even in Cincinnati.

And now cue the the Flyers haven't won in Cincinnati since the Carter administration jokes. ;)

OSUredsFAN
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
I drove down on friday night from Chicago to be there. It took me 10 hours to get to Dayton, but it was well worth it!!! :)

guttle11
02-09-2010, 11:13 PM
The Charlotte game tomorrow is just as big as the Xavier game. A win puts UD within a game of first place, and gives them a bit of wiggle room inside the bubble (but not much).

reds1869
02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
The Charlotte game tomorrow is just as big as the Xavier game. A win puts UD within a game of first place, and gives them a bit of wiggle room inside the bubble (but not much).

It also puts us (X fans) in the uncomfortable position of wanting UD to win. We need the Flyers to knock off Charlotte to put us in a better position to have a bit of breathing room down the stretch. So just for one game I'm on your side. It is also in the league's best interest for UD to make the tournament, and you need the Charlotte win to solidify your case. I think it will be a tremendous game to watch, by the way.

guttle11
02-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Looking at the standings, they will be a mess if UD can beat Charlotte. Charlotte, Xavier, Temple and the Rhody/Richmond winner would all have two losses. The Rhody/Richmond loser, UD, and Saint Louis would all have three. And there's a lot of games between these 7 teams left on the schedule.

Can't count SLU out just yet, they host UD, Xavier, Temple, and Rhody, and that's a tough place to play. They really aren't as good as the top 6, but with that many big games at home they could make a nice run.

jimbo
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
It also puts us (X fans) in the uncomfortable position of wanting UD to win. We need the Flyers to knock off Charlotte to put us in a better position to have a bit of breathing room down the stretch. So just for one game I'm on your side. It is also in the league's best interest for UD to make the tournament, and you need the Charlotte win to solidify your case. I think it will be a tremendous game to watch, by the way.

As it does putting us in that same uncomfortable position having to root for xavier against Floriday Saturday. It would be a nice non-conference win for the league.

I'm pretty comfortable that UD will pull out a win tonight. The road games are the ones that worry me, especially at Temple and Richmond. The Flyers have to start winning some big games on the road.

Having said that, I really think we'll see the best Flyer basketball of the season down the stretch. The xavier win will be the springboard.

Oxilon
02-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice to see that there's some A-10 talk on this board. Which leads me to remind everybody who won the A-10 Championship the past two years? That's right, Temple. You can have all this talk about UD or Xavier winning the A-10 this year, but until somebody dethrones the Owls in the tourney, they're still the champs. ;)

jimbo
02-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Nice to see that there's some A-10 talk on this board. Which leads me to remind everybody who won the A-10 Championship the past two years? That's right, Temple. You can have all this talk about UD or Xavier winning the A-10 this year, but until somebody dethrones the Owls in the tourney, they're still the champs. ;)

Very true, and I'd say right now, they are the best of the league. Can't wait for the UD-Temple matchup on the 24th.

guttle11
02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
28 point win over Charlotte. +70 scoring margin over the last 3 games.

Wow.

jimbo
02-10-2010, 11:47 PM
28 point win over Charlotte. +70 scoring margin over the last 3 games.

Wow.

I think they're finally playing like the team many thought they were pre-season. Couldn't be peaking at a better time.

reds1869
02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Very impressive. Gregory and Company switched the light on. Right now UD is the team everyone thought they would be. I'm personally glad to see it, as our rivalry will become all the more intense and exciting.

As far as the Temple fan goes, just remember that Xavier has won the last four regular season titles. When you can be successful over more than one weekend, come back and we'll talk. ;)

This league is a lot of fun this year. I hope this will become the norm. Every game is a potential barnburner (unless Fordham is involved).

Boston Red
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
As a Xavier fan, it is hard to admit how thrilled I was to see that Dayton throttled Charlotte last night. Hopefully it means that Dayton is just on a roll, and last weekend wasn't just a huge Xavier problem (though Xavier obviously needs to be tougher on the road than the glass-jawed team that showed up in Dayton on Saturday and went to the mat as soon as they got punched).

OSUredsFAN
03-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, the bubble just burst. What a disappointing loss tonight, errrr season

guttle11
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Ugh. I have to stop there, because this is a family site.

Oxilon
03-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Well, there's always winning the A10 tourney for the automatic bid.

Boston Red
03-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Props to UD for somewhat salvaging a very disappointing year in the NIT. Not exactly what they were hoping for at the start, but they get to play for a championship Thursday night. Hopefully in an all A-10 affair.

reds1869
03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Props to UD for somewhat salvaging a very disappointing year in the NIT. Not exactly what they were hoping for at the start, but they get to play for a championship Thursday night. Hopefully in an all A-10 affair.

Rhody just missed out in OT, so no all A-10 showdown. Congrats to the Flyers on reaching the NIT Final.

Roy Tucker
03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Rhody just missed out in OT, so no all A-10 showdown. Congrats to the Flyers on reaching the NIT Final.

Shades of 1968 and Don May, Bobby Joe Hooper, Glinder Torain, Rudy Waterman, Dan Obrovac, and Dan Sadlier.

Boston Red
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats again to the Flyers. Not exactly how they pictured a win over UNC in April might look this year, but it sure as hell beats losing!

RedFanAlways1966
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Made a disappointing regular season feel a bit better. It was fun to watch the Flyers play and win the NIT.

Wonder if they keep the black road uniforms next year? As a lifelong fan, I hope not.

reds1869
04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Good job Flyers.

goreds2
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Good job by the Flyers. One thing the NIT does do is build confidence for next season and gives the team more game experience also. This especially will help NC for next seaon.

Chip R
04-02-2010, 01:00 PM
An unexpected bonus of Dayton playing in the postseason as long as they did was that Iowa was seriously looking at Gregory to become their next coach but they couldn't wait for Dayton's season to finsih and they hired Fran McCafferey from Siena instead.

Boston Red
04-02-2010, 02:44 PM
An unexpected bonus of Dayton playing in the postseason as long as they did was that Iowa was seriously looking at Gregory to become their next coach but they couldn't wait for Dayton's season to finsih and they hired Fran McCafferey from Siena instead.

You must be an Iowa fan.

reds1869
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
You must be an Iowa fan.

:beerme:

Chip R
04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
You must be an Iowa fan.

Nope.