PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 list of football broadcasters

Chip R
11-25-2009, 06:44 PM
http://sportsmediablog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/11/a-top-25-list-of-football-broa.html#comments

1. Gary Danielson
2. Cris Collinsworth
3. Al Michaels
4. Phil Simms
5. Kirk Herbstreit
6. Troy Aikman
7. Ron Franklin
8. Verne Lundquist
9. Joe Buck
10. Jim Nantz
11. Mike Tirico
12. Brad Nessler
13. Brent Musburger
14. Jon Gruden
15. Daryl Johnston
16. Ron Jaworski
17. Greg Gumbel
18. Sean McDonough
19. Todd Blackledge
20. Dan Fouts
21. Bob Papa
22. Mike Patrick
23. Chris Fowler
24. Gus Johnson
25. Dick Enberg

GIDP
11-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Dan Fouts cant even get the teams that are playing names correct.

LawFive
11-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Gus Johnson? Seriously??

This seems like a list of active guys. Who is the fellow that retired from ABC a couple years ago, always did the Rose Bowl? He was the best.

kaldaniels
11-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Gus Johnson? Seriously??

This seems like a list of active guys. Who is the fellow that retired from ABC a couple years ago, always did the Rose Bowl? He was the best.

1) Gus Johnson is beloved by many fans, that needs to be realized.

2) If you are coming to this discussion without knowing who Keith Jackson is, it is hard to take your criticism of Gus seriously.

LawFive
11-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Having a bad day? Sheesh.

Caveat Emperor
11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
1) Gus Johnson is beloved by many fans, that needs to be realized.

Gus Johnson is awful. He's everything that makes a Bengals broadcast with Brad Johannson and Dave Lapham unlistenable, but forced upon the country at-large.

Danny Serafini
11-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Since Keith Jackson's name was tossed out there, I have to say he was downright awful. Easily the most overrated announcer ever. I don't care how many charming, folksy colloquialisms he came up with, he was so biased it was to the point of being unprofessional.

Gus Johnson is awful. He's everything that makes a Bengals broadcast with Brad Johannson and Dave Lapham unlistenable, but forced upon the country at-large.

That's so funny, because it's so true.

kaldaniels
11-26-2009, 02:08 AM

He's got a strong cult following...I'm no huge fan, but I have no problem with him being #20 or whatever. #20 isn't even anything to write home about.

WMR
11-26-2009, 02:21 AM
The members of the Gus Johnson cult need to be identified and sterilized.

macro
11-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Dan Fouts cant even get the teams that are playing names correct.

Fouts can do all the games he wants as long as he's never assigned to another Bengals game. His dislike for the franchise shows through every time he does one of their games. Still sore about 1981, I guess.

GIDP
11-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Fouts can do all the games he wants as long as he's never assigned to another Bengals game. His dislike for the franchise shows through every time he does one of their games. Still sore about 1981, I guess.

I'm pretty sure he did the ravens bengals game and if you were playing a drinking game based on how many times he said something like "Cincinnati vs. Bengals" or "Baltimore Bengals" you would have drowned.

KoryMac5
11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I think the list is pretty flawed as you have PBP types lumped in with color commentators. No way you should be comparing Tirico types with Moose Johnston. For my money I love the team of Nantz and Simms. Nantz is great at setting the scene and Simms always has some good perspectives from a players standpoint.

Screwball
11-26-2009, 01:41 PM
How in the hell is Jim Nantz behind Joe Buck? And how in the world is Fouts in the top 25?? Switch him out with Rich Gannon.

Roy Tucker
11-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Gary Danielson #1? Seriously?

He's up there in the Mark May pantheon of Ohio State haters.

bucksfan2
11-27-2009, 10:29 AM
1. Gary Danielson
2. Cris Collinsworth
3. Al Michaels
4. Phil Simms
5. Kirk Herbstreit
6. Troy Aikman
7. Ron Franklin
8. Verne Lundquist
9. Joe Buck
10. Jim Nantz
11. Mike Tirico
12. Brad Nessler
13. Brent Musburger
14. Jon Gruden
15. Daryl Johnston
16. Ron Jaworski
17. Greg Gumbel
18. Sean McDonough
19. Todd Blackledge
20. Dan Fouts
21. Bob Papa
22. Mike Patrick
23. Chris Fowler
24. Gus Johnson
25. Dick Enberg

Guys I like.

I don't like guys who do play by play but think they know more about the game than the players on the field. I don't like guys who bring no excitement to the game but get all the big time games. I don't like guys who are blatant homers for the conference or a given team that they are broadcasting.

I am a fan of Gus Johnson. He can go a little overboard especially when doing a bad game. But there is no one else I would want doing a close game or a buzzer beating NCAA tournament game. I would much rather have Gus Johnson doing the final four than Jim Nantz.